Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arivia posted:

(Note: without looking up their giant writeups in a later supplement, I cannot honestly say what the difference is between Helm and Torm. And this is my FAVORITE CAMPAIGN SETTING. :psyduck:)

Actually, the difference between Helm and Torm is pretty simple. Helm is the morally neutral god of law and guardians, no questions asked. Obey all orders without question and protect those who need protecting, whether you're protecting a unicorn or an injured demon, whether the order is to fight evil or terminate the people trying to overthrow a corrupt police state. Torm is the good god of loyalty and obedience - of loyally serving others and society with your life, but also refusing to obey evil laws and citing it as duty to question and change orders and laws that are unjust or evil.

Also, Sharess is the Forgotten Realms alias of Bast and Sekhmet, from the Egyptian pantheon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Down With People posted:

Playing a Kch-Thk does sound pretty rad. Like a hungry, chitinous HK-47.

Dark Sun wants its Thri-Keen back.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pththya-lyi posted:

I always assumed that the Zilargo folks were mean to be literal Gnomes of Zürich, and Keith Baker failed to realize the Unfortunate Implications that come with evil banker plots. I mean, Zilargo and Zürich both start with a Z, and Zürich is a historic Protestant stronghold.

Zilargo explicitly has no influence or control over the banks, though. That's House Kundark, who are dwarves. Zilargo is the land of spies and schemers... which admittedly makes it hard to distinguish from the rest of Khorvaire at times.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Evil Sagan posted:

Oh, is it time for the Underdark already?

The Dales, I'm guessing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cooked Auto posted:

That is obviously a devious pit trap but with grinders instead of spikes.

Or some grisly Dragon Below trap/machine.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Glazius posted:

Ryuutama's spells are pretty great just because they seem a lot more like magic in a world where there's a lot of traveling.

poo poo, has D&D even got a magical umbrella spell?

One of the many potential applications of the floating disk spell.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
That book made me very interested to see what OWoD made of the Glass Walkers, assuming theirs wasn't one of the terrible books.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Bieeardo posted:

I'm not sure whether to hide under my desk or get ready to laugh like a supervillain again.

Wait. One of those things that appeared in 3.5E in the epic level handbook? Hoo boy...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Bieeardo posted:

Potter is all over the place. He's poor, but he's rich, he can't spend any of that money, but someone mysteriously gets him poo poo like expensive broomsticks. His relatives are awful people, but at the same time they're trying their damnedest to keep him from getting killed in whatever horrible business his parents were involved with. And of course he can't just stay with the Weasleys, or board somewhere else, because that horrible Muggle world always has to be used as a nasty framing device.

It's also a horrifying world if you think about it for a moment. The presence of ghosts would seem to contradict most of the major world religions. Overt mind-control is called a bad thing, but magic that modifies memories and emotions is commonplace and played for laughs. There are beings that eat souls, but no one seems particularly concerned about this beyond the prospect of it happening to anyone they actually know. A magic supervillain takes over the magic government of Britain, but the rest of the magic world apparently is content to leave Britain to rot.

At its heart, it's escapist changeling fantasy meant for young adults, but Rowling paints a picture of a world that no one but the privileged elite, like Potter and his friends, would want to live in.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MonsieurChoc posted:

It is stressed that everything dealing with real world history was researched, and only the stuff dealing with the World of Darkness was added. The Holocaust wasn’t some weird plan of some occult faction, it was a human work, just like in the real world. The book is more interested in looking at the consequences of the Holocaust on Wraiths than in shifting blame, a position that I find myself agreeing with.

While I fully agree with and respect this position, this approach also bugs me some. Supernaturals are responsible for virtually every bad thing (and virtually every thing, period) that happens in the World of Darkness, but the Holocaust? All human, nothing supernatural involved. It's downright egregious when looked at in the context of the rest of the setting for all that I agree with the reasons why they did it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mr. Maltose posted:

And there's fairies. Who thinks fairies are real? Stupid John Wick!

It begs the question, though. What are you, or indeed the empires of the game, supposed to be doing with these ships? The not!Turks have very little contact with not!Europe. Not!Scandinavia isn't raiding anyone. Not!Netherlands has no long voyages to make to trade. Not!Spain has no New World to colonize. There's a handful of islands with alien tech that's probably going to kill you, and that's about it. Even the metaplot doesn't do anything with the idea. Much as I enjoyed the writeup of Seventh Sea and think that there's a lot you could do with the setting if you're willing to modify it from how it's presented, taken at face value it doesn't even hold up to its own logic.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kai Tave posted:

Actually this isn't exactly all that accurate. The thing about all those ancient magics and lost artifacts in Eberron is that by and large they might have been big and flashy but they were often clunky, terribly overwrought, and not very efficient. For example, very early prototype warforged predate the current age, this is true...and when House Cannith got their hands on them they reverse engineered them, and within 50 years had vastly, vastly improved upon the design to the point where they were mass-producing sentient, ensouled warforged far better than anything the Giants had designed. Basically, anything that you find stuck in a ruin or buried in some lost tomb may have value, but that value is less down to "oh man, the ancient civilizations were way better than we are" and more "I can't wait to take this home and figure out how to make more of these without having to sacrifice of a thousand elven slaves during a solar eclipse, I bet we could get by with some candles and 5cc of mouse blood."

And, in general, Eberron is meant to draw from the early 20th century - it's a time of rapid magical/technological, social, and political change. Think the Roaring Twenties - a horrific war has just ended, and society and culture are flourishing. It's an unstable time, true, and definitely not a Golden Age in the sense that everything's happy and peaceful, but in a lot of ways civilization has never been so energetic or creative.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MadScientistWorking posted:

I wonder if it was a coincidence or intentional in that the first large scale use of robotics during war happens to coincide with the same time period that Eberron is aping from.

Most likely intentional. Warforged also do double-duty as conscript soldiers who have been discharged but now have no non-military skills, nowhere to go, and are disliked and distrusted by most civilian populations.

It's an interesting time period to draw inspiration from when you go beyond what the splats suggest. My current Eberron game I'm running started at a cabaret show in Karrnath, which also has a flourishing gay and lesbian cultural scene, drawing from the Weimar Republic with the Emerald Claw and Blood of Vol standing in for the freikorps and other ultra-right-wing super-nationalist movements.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

deadly_pudding posted:

Darkflame Montgomery is especially notorious, since she's one of the Factols that got actual stats in the box set. It's like David Cook was just screaming at the reader, "This is my perfect Mary-Sue! Look at all her neat abilities! Oh, she's so sensual, but mysterious! And filled with the energy of youth! She's all statted out! You could, I don't know, use her as a DMPC in every campaign so that she can shine through in all of your Planescape Adventures!":neckbeard:

Knowing most players, statting up a character you want them to love dramatically increases the odds of the players killing said character. They wouldn't have stats if you weren't supposed to fight them, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So... what's the point of Cerulean Seas when Stormwrack is already a thing and doesn't bother with nonsense like bouyancy and has more interesting, less voluptuous, and more sensibly dressed races?

• Locked thread