Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

WEG produced TORG which was an amazing game, with an incredible setting. For that I forgive them a lot.
Apparently, after some searching TORG was the system upon which Tales From the Crypt and Tank Girl were based upon. I honestly don't remember anything being egregiously bad about Tales From the Crypt but its actually missing the mechanics to run the game as it was based upon the MasterBook system which you had to purchase separately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

404GoonNotFound posted:

The one downside to Eberron, at least from a F&F writeup perspective, is that it's intentionally limited in material. Almost as a reaction to all the railroading of the mid to late 90s (and, let's face it, from Forgotten Realms itself) Keith Baker decided that Eberron should not only be 100% metaplot-free, but that what story did exist should be incomplete and full of obvious gaps, sized perfectly for the DM to insert whatever Cool poo poo he wants. It's great from a gameplay perspective, but for an idle observer? Not so much.
Honestly, Eberron has enough interesting stuff going on that it really doesn't matter if it has a metaplot. Its just that in regards to complexity in what is going on it actually rivals Forgotten Realms.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Night10194 posted:

Especially as those crabs were pretty goddamn scary. I wouldn't mind fighting those crabs.
Surprisingly you can be one of them. Effectively Khalaster are human/good quori hybrids. In fact if I had to guess the Quori were probably an homage to Stargate.

quote:

Back in 2002 (oh, hey, that was over a decade ago now ), Wizards figured out that maybe relying on just Forgotten Realms as their flagship setting for D&D might be a bad idea. In an effort to resolve this problem, WotC started the Fantasy Setting Search contest (what an original name ).

The contest received about 11000 single-page setting pitches, from a mix of amateurs, industry folk and professionals from outside the tabletop industry. Out of all of those, Wizards ended up selecting a mere eleven pitches to be developed into 10-page outlines.

After several months of judging, Keith Baker’s Eberron pitch won the contest. Since part of the submission guidelines involved agreeing not to disclose any info about the setting pitches, the other ten have unfortunately been lost to the mists of time and WotC’s R&D vaults – although there are some reasons to believe a lot of the content ended up being reused in late-era 3.5 documents and maybe even bits of 4E’s PoL setting.
One of the other well known potential contestants was Rich Burlew.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 26, 2013

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Serperoth posted:

Also, Eberron sounds like a great setting. Magitek and megacorps, can't go wrong with that.
Honestly, my only problem with the setting is that the houses are insanely onmipoetent to the point where it gets kind of nonsensical. Its the primary reason why there isn't gunpowder in that setting despite everything else in it. Honestly its a minor complaint.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 26, 2013

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

As MadScientistWorking pointed out, that is correct - Rich Burlew was one of the finalists too. Allegedly, some of his stuff ended up in PoL and some of his stuff ended in 3.5 books like Dungeonscape.
Hey just out of curiosity are you including the 4E class material for Eberron because while the fluff is the same outside the Eladrin material there was some neat class mechanics like the Artificers Rocket Fist which was a retooling of a Prestige Class.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Zilargo

The one really uncomfortable part of the setting.

Stop me if you’ve heard this before:

Zilargo is a nation of secretive power-brokers who use their influence to ensure they nearly always get what they want, whose spies are rumoured to be everywhere and possibly even nefariously guiding events in other countries, and who control the media. They are physically weak, but their mastery of other people’s secrets have allowed them to thrive. Oh, also, Zilargo is a utopia because their secret police “disappears” and “reforms” any dissidents.

Apart from that last part, that is pretty eerily redolent of the kind of stuff you’d find in the Protocols of the Elders of Zion. Admittedly, the banks and financial institutions have been handed over to the dwarves, but I still find Zilargo a really uncomfortable part of Eberron. Don't get me wrong: Baker isn't in any way racist, but this is still creepy and weird.

That first paragraph is essentially the extent of their characterisation – they’re a nation of gnomes ruled by a Triumvirate, whose secret police are called “the Trust;” they thrive as information brokers and their primary instruments for influencing foreign policy are blackmail and intrigue; and they run the biggest newspaper in the Five Nations, the Korranberg Chronicle, which is edited and printed in the city of Korranberg, which contains what is possible Khorvaire’s biggest library. Whereas the Sharn Inquisitive is little more than a sensationalist gossip rag, the Chronicle is a respected news publication whose reporters write about current affairs, politics and economics.

Next time: the history of all hitherto existing society
Honestly I always thought they were more of a Soviet pastiche more than anything with the whole fascist police state thing going on. I find it amusing that apparently a third of all Zilargo gnomes are a part of the trust and apparently one of the 4E adventure hooks with them involves one of the Houses actually just being the ones in charge of everything.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

Hell, they're technically the Goodest Guys. They patrol the borders of the Demon Wastes, I think they founded one of the druid orders, and half-orcs are considered "favored sons" because they're the best of both their human and orcish parents.

It's amazing how interesting you can make a setting when you're not locked into alignment expectations.

One of the leaders of House Tharask is actually siphoning profits off to fund the Gatekeepers which is the druid order that protects against people trying to open up the gates to unleash abominations. I don't know if it was something that my DM worked into her Eberron game by accident or by purpose but we managed to score some major kudos with Maagrim Torrn d'Tharashk by stopping an abomination attack while in the process of going to another job for that house.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

wiegieman posted:

How are the CTech guys still in business? Who in their right mind eagerly awaits the release of these products?
Truth be told it doesn't surprise me at all given that a lot of media tends to try and shock in the most lamest ways possible like this. Good horror tends to leave a lot to the imagination and plays upon our fears while bad horror tends to use shock tactics like fetus batteries.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Bieeardo posted:

In a lot of ways, EP is Shadowrun meets Call of Cthulhu.
Honestly I wish they weren't so heavy handed with it as it becomes kind of dumb when they basically wrote space cthulhu into the setting. Its weird too because you don't loose anything at all just dumping him by the wayside.

WhitemageofDOOM posted:

If you get amnesia are you still you?
It depends on the amnesia as some of the more severe cases of it tends actually point to the ability process and consume information being completely so out of whack that you no longer are the same person as before. Its why brain injuries freak me the hell out because of the freakishly weird stuff that can occur.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

They really didn't, though, because you can play EP just fine without ever having the exsurgent virus.
You either have to completely ban an entire chapter or have to drastically rewrite the setting because its a part of character creation. That isn't the definition of just fine by any stretch of the imagination and is more in the realm of drastic houserule.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Pussy Cartel posted:

The ETI doesn't really strike me as being particular Cthuluesque, because the idea of unfathomable and possibly hostile posthuman intelligences is pretty standard for transhumanist scifi.
Actually, its a staple of scifi and horror flat out as I've been slowly reading through Roadside Picnic to do the Stalker RPG which massively spoils the book. Its really incredibly odd because its contains nontranshumanist analogs of the same exact elements as Eclipse Phase like the exsurgency. Also, I remember why the Cthulu aspect stuck in my mind. Their Appendix N references it four different times as far as I could tell and it stuck in my mind as to why Cthulutech got a nod.
EDIT:
And mind you the confusion comes in as nothing in Eclipse Phase at all resembles Cthulutech as far as I've found.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jun 24, 2013

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Erebro posted:

It turns people into guns, pure and simple. It doesn't promise freedom from ethics, it promises slavery and destruction of the mind. It doesn't make you like the Great Old Ones, laughing and shouting and killing with joy, it makes you into a husk to house itself. Stop thinking of it like cosmic horror and see it as it is: The self-aware weapon of a culture that likely forgot it existed, assuming that culture even exists anymore.

There is nothing in the setting that actually says that. The problem is that with the way most of the ETI and Titan stuff is written you can't prescribe any behavior to them namely because the heavy handedness was them drastically emphasizing the freakishly bizarre abilities the ETI have. Its supposed to become self evident that you are dealing with something beyond any semblance of human comprehension.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Bedlamdan posted:

He has, though he might have missteped here and there. There maybe a lot of :words: about some muddy linguistic waters being sailed.

Do you actually know any more information about that? I was aware of the phenomenon of cultural mismatching resulting in words that don't have an exact translation (ie. Yokai,Kami) but I'm only aware of it doing rudimentary research for fun.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I feel like I've brought this up before, so apologies if I have, but you have a source for that? It's a popular rumor, but exactly how he runs games tends to be a bit obscure (especially since he rarely does it anymore), and if there's any more detail, I'd be interested in hearing about it. :ssh:
I'll ask my friend as she actually played in a Palladium Fantasy game he ran recently.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Alien Rope Burn posted:

That'd be rad to hear about.
Yeah I asked my friend about it and she did actually say he heavily ignored the rules and went we a more free form style. She actually said he isn't actually a bad DM. Its just that he doesn't actually follow the rules he wrote. He also ran it with a far lager group than is pushing it for any experienced DM (8).

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Alien Rope Burn posted:

From what I understand that's actually something of a small group for him. From everything else I've heard he's used to running games with player counts in the double-digits.
Yeah I would have asked her more questions as she and her boyfriend were at the Palladium Open House event but she was preoccupied with something more important than me asking about how Kevin Siembieda DMs.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I'm sure you probably know, but everybody else might not: this is actually brought up as an anti-wizard solution in later books.

Why just cutting off their hands alone isn't enough to gently caress with their magic remains a mystery. :raise:
You know the easiest thing is that the Ultimate Edition hints at is that a large amount of magic is verbalized meaning that having the caster go death or mute would work far better.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Of course, the alternative is just using something like FATE or Risus, which achieve their strong universal quality through what is often, frankly, bland uniformity, which a lot of Rifts fans aren't going to find satisfactory. So it goes.
Actually, FATE is probably the only game where you could do everything in RIFTS without having an aneurysm. The problem is that you have to get used to the mechanics and how they work but once you reach that point you can effectively distill down entire RIFTS books down into a couple of pages while keeping all of the insanity.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Sep 29, 2013

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Alien Rope Burn posted:

If for some reason I was forced to run a Rifts game tomorrow, then yeah, FATE is what I'd use, no question. Ideally I'd like some system where the magic and technology felt different, and it'd take a fair amount of hacking to get to that point. The core issue I have is that aspects like "has an NG-M56 Multi-Bot" and "has a Titan Combat Robot" should feel like the provide different advantages, and in vanilla FATE they'd be mostly the same.
Except when I wrote than I kind of guessed that you didn't know how the game runs which is really tricky on how to figure it out. Mechanically they would actually incredibly different as long as someone pointed out earlier in the thread they aren't doing what a large percentage of Rifts mechanics does and just shuffle numbers around.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, that's the thing, if you're not doing a pure Rifts conversion, the sensible thing would be if you're going to have so many robots to differentiate them somehow, probably by giving them more unique capabilities. Later as the books go on you start to have more vehicles and robots with unique weapon systems to differentiate them (often with terrible mechanics, mind).

I admit I'm not deeply versed on FATE mechanics beyond Dresden Files and the new Fate Core / Fate Accelerated, but it seems to me more like a make-your-own-game kit than anything else, much like its predecessor, Fudge. As such, a lot depends on the quality of the implementation in the first place.
Honestly it really depends on how much of a conversion you want with Rifts. I've done stuff approximating a technowizard, fusion elementalist, and parts from classes like the rogue scholar with the core game system.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, Apocalypse World has come to mind in the past, it's just a lot of work to adapt new settings (though arguably, some of the existing playbooks might only require mild modification). It would potentially be a lot more work than something like FATE but I think it would be potentially stronger.
Actually they are fundamentally the game system with Fate actually having a better designed core than the Apocalypse Engine. I know for a fact you can port of most of the moves from Dungeon World characters sheets on a 1 to 1 basis but I'm not entirely sure about Apocalypse World.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Sep 30, 2013

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, I just mean having functional approximations of magic, psionics (if you want to differentiate it from magic), nonhuman races, mecha, and vehicles all together having one systemic party. Worrying about converting every fiddly bit would be madness - say, worrying about converting the different Titan robots from core (that are only mild variations on a theme), or fringe magical types like Herbalism or Rain Dances.
Functional approximations of magic, psionics, nonhuman races, mecha, and vehicles actually can actually mean an infinite number of things in Fate. Admittedly, if I'm going to invest this many words to the game I might as well do what I was always planning to do and actually do a complete writeup of the game as it stands today. Part of the problem is that if I were to go on I would essentially end up having to explain Fate Core anyway as you are missing a few key components like the fact that the game does mechanically differentiate between blasts but because its a narrative game more so than Mutants and Masterminds or GURPS it does so in a diametrically different way.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

occamsnailfile posted:

I don't think you can take MDC damage for falling anyway can you? They're just wasting silk and money. And only sending in two robots when that plane can clearly carry five--but then it wouldn't be a buddy-powerarmor comic I guess.
Actually falling in theory could just kill the pilot outright as its straight HP/SDC damage and bypasses armor.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Robindaybird posted:

Honestly have to agree, save the vile for the absolute worst of the worst, like the creators of WGA, FATAL, and whoever wrote the Exalted Infernals book
You haven't read much of Wick's writing if you don't realize he actually is fundamentally the worst of the worst and a lot of the nonsensical stuff like cheating in this game makes sense when you actually did deep into how he runs his games which actually says you should cheat. Though I want to say that someone said that he mellowed out drastically the last time this conversation came up.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 2, 2013

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I feel like I egged some of this on with my Way of the Scorpion preview, but if one thing it demonstrated is that Wick puts a lot of himself into his work, like having stand-ins for himself and people he knows in that book. The problem is that it gets very hard to divide Wick's design work from his personal life because he lets the two blur and puts a lot of himself into his work. He strikes me as an author badly in need of an editor, and never willing to put up with one, so... what we get is what we get. Sometimes he can be really innovative and cool, and sometimes he can be really regressive and pompous. Unfortunately, the latter tends to stand out more in reviews like these.

Also, I've gotten to see the man have a huge shouting tantrum in front of me. I don't wish ill on him, and that doesn't necessarily make him a huge manchild or a bad person, but he has done some questionable stuff that's on the public record and people are free to draw their own conclusions.

This kind of predates Fatal and Friends as a lot of talk about John Wick being a horrible person used to occur back in grognards.txt. Its kind of hilarious too because apparently the discussion that happened in that thread apparently involved stuff in Play Dirty. And man if he is like anything like how he presents himself in Play Dirty a huge manchild is the only thing you can get out of that.
EDIT:
And you're right too a lot of his ideas aren't bad but you have to strip the smug assholish nature from them before you can even begin to use them.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 3, 2013

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm going to be blunt: Are we still doing this poo poo? Can we start reviewing slashfic in the Book Barn, then?
Actually if I remember correctly there is a book review going on that involves a character that the creator of Black Tokyo says would fit right into the setting. I really wish I could remember where I heard about it too.
EDIT:
Hahahaha.... Now I remember what Double Cross reminds me of. Its Wild Cards without the horrible slashfic tendencies.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Nov 9, 2013

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm sorry, I've just had my fill of Anime Death Tentacle Babyraper and could do without any more of that kind of thing in F&F unless it becomes a phenomenon in its own right.
Ok. You've convinced me. I'm going to review something just as bad. :getin:

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Young Freud posted:

Same here. I want to know more of Field's work so I can avoid making the same mistakes. I find him utterly fascinating in that he believes this is appropriate for publication.
Honestly, I was quasi joking about that earlier but honestly I've been contemplating doing Wild Cards as a Fatal and Friends writeup. Its amazing that for such a supposed group of competent writers that so much awfulness could be condensed into such few words. Hell if the guy doing the writeup for it in The Book Barn is correct then Fields actually drew inspiration from it.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Alien Rope Burn posted:

That whole "10 pounds of human flesh a day" is puzzling, given normal people generally only eat about 3-5 pounds of food a day. In addition, it requires them to at least murder around 30-40 people a year or more per ghoul. A group of 5-7 ghouls would double the murder rate of a city like Baltimore or New Orleans, if they're not being benevolent enough to raid butchers and supermarkets.

:psyduck: What supermarkets or butchers do you visit that sell human flesh? :psyduck:

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Alien Rope Burn posted:

In the real world technology and practical knowledge is very, very rarely lost, even in the face of empires rising and falling, but in fantasy worlds, it's a goddamn constant.
We actually do tend to loose a ton of technology and practical knowledge. Take for example the Antikythera mechanism. We didn't know the Greeks had such advanced technology until we dug it up out of the ocean. I'm not even entirely sure if we've actually figured out their techniques yet. If you want a more modern example take the F1 Rocket engine which NASA engineers are directly trying to reverse engineer by taking it apart and rebuilding it in a computer.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, I know why, I'm just more posting it as it just being a fantasy trope.
Its actually more associated with science fiction than it is with fantasy at this point as its basically the plot line to the Stargate series.
EDIT:
Though that series actually had a reason why humanity regressed so far in some instances while in others seemed to be moving along technology wise.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 25, 2013

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

On the other hand, neither the Bronze Age Collapse, the fall of Rome, the burning of Alexandra, the Black Plague, etcetera etcetera caused the level of technology to completely and utterly collapse. So "everyone used to have technomagic +5 buttplugs but now it's the High Middle Ages" is both farfetched and a worn-out idea.
The Antikythera mechanism kind of shots a massive hole in your argument though as it was the only device of its complexity known for 1000 years. Admittedly, that does bring up the fact that every single time we loose a piece of technology we'll pretty much reverse engineer it back again.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 25, 2013

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Barudak posted:

It wasn't really lost though? We have discussions of similar devices from before that era and after that era. The major issue with the Antikythera Mechanism is that it was a luxury good and not very accurate (although as accurate as the Greeks understood the planets to be) so the need for more of the things was fairly limited. In addition, we find similar construction devices (although not as complex typically) in the Byzantine empire in the 5th and 6th centuries so the technique was still used long after the device proper was lost.
Since when were Greeks, Romans, and Byzatines using technology that wasn't conceived of until the 1400 and 1500. Sure you can make the argument that machines and devices using gears were all over the place which they were but there is a huge difference between cutting a gear from bronze and cobbling together one from wood.
EDIT:
Admittedly, we are all pretty much on the same page. This is just me asking for more clarification because I always thought the Antikythera Mechanism was the first example of gear cutting from that era.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 25, 2013

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Barudak posted:

We know, via literal design documents, that the Romans constructed odometers for centuries using the same gear design also used in the Antikythera Mechanism and they were definitely metal. The Antikythera Mechanism is fascinating because it was a device that was ridiculously expensive, absolutely cutting edge, and solely intended for personal use*. It is in many ways like built in car-phones; ahead of their time but phased out completely once a modern need for them was developed.
Just as a side note I went and actually looked it up and it supposedly the gearing mechanism that was special. Its kind of why I was hoping for more specific designs because I would be flabbergasted that other designs used what even today is kind of a convoluted gearing mechanism which having built rudimentary odometers before you don't need at all.

Cythereal posted:

And, in general, Eberron is meant to draw from the early 20th century - it's a time of rapid magical/technological, social, and political change. Think the Roaring Twenties - a horrific war has just ended, and society and culture are flourishing. It's an unstable time, true, and definitely not a Golden Age in the sense that everything's happy and peaceful, but in a lot of ways civilization has never been so energetic or creative.
I wonder if it was a coincidence or intentional in that the first large scale use of robotics during war happens to coincide with the same time period that Eberron is aping from.

Transient People posted:

And the real kicker? The walls of iron a wizard makes are eternal and permanent, not ethereal. So D&D's words aren't applicable to D&D in the first place, either.
You see this is why I like Forgotten Realms because if D&D operated like Forgotten Realms did you'd have a bunch of combat engineers turning said wizard wall into sludge.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Nov 26, 2013

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Majuju posted:

Eberron: better or worse than Dark Sun/Spelljammer?
In terms of inspiration and sources to draw from Eberron wins hand down. As I said in the chat thread noting like basing your section of history which contains the most outlandish aspects of history.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Barudak posted:

I have a huge soft spot for Dark Sun but every piece of material after he first one makes the setting crappier and crappier even if I like the idea of a PC race that feeds on Elves. Its worse than just "explains too many details" because with later material gets into "actively undermines the interesting features of the setting."
Isn't that just because Dark Sun like most settings of that era had an active metaplot that followed the novel line? For all the amount of complaining about what happened to that setting I wish someone would do a Fatal and Friends of the revised setting because for what little I heard about that hated material it had more interesting ideas than connventional Dark Sun which is your prototypical apocalyptic story re-flavored as magic.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Transient People posted:

As for Eberron, I personally don't like it all that much...it's neat on the surface, but it's so 3.5 as gently caress and yet breaks like a twig if you take the 3.5ness to its logical conclusion. It's not really a setting that has cohesiveness, just a ton of gonzo things that are neat to poach for personal campaigns, IMO.
Yeah but the gonzo aspects of Eberron are typical for the time period that its stealing from.
EDIT:
We should make a history thread as there are tons of interesting concepts and ideas to steal from.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 26, 2013

• Locked thread