Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.
Teenagers from outer space :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.

Tasoth posted:

So how does Eclipse Phase deal with the immortal people and the fact that in their dying moments they get to realize that they're still going to die? That's always one of the things that I thought was funny about transhumanists. They're all for uploading their minds into machines to beat death, but they don't realize they themselves are still going to die but now with the knowledge of a replica of them living on. But I'm kind of missing the point of EP with this rant.

Self is a complicated concept(or a nonsensical one.)

If you get amnesia are you still you? If your brain stops and then starts back up are you still you?
You're gonna have to pick one of those to make a consistent theory of self and both have massive and strange conclusions.

The idenitity theory of self leads one to not worry about continuity, that's the usual one with uploading and resleeving. (and eclipse phase has a great big selection pressure on people not ok with that one, those people ~died~.)
The continuity theory is less explored in it's ramifications, but is going to be even stranger since in that promotes massive neural editing.

• Locked thread