Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Things in this adventure that took advantage of the fact that it took place in Iceland:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Mors Rattus posted:

Tell me about our Elementalist. What's their focus? Are they a Mythic Companion, a Gifted Companion or an unGifted Companion?

They are a Gifted Elemental Physician with an especial fondness for the work of Galen. However, they are motivated primarily by jealousy of their peers and characterized by a strong ambition to equal or surpass Galen without necessarily being able to actually research things of their own on that level, so they turn to spying.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I posted this in the old thread, gonna post it again.

quote:

"H.P. Lovecraft, Notes on Writing Weird Fiction posted:

I choose weird stories because they suit my inclination best—one of my strongest and most persistent wishes being to achieve, momentarily, the illusion of some strange suspension or violation of the galling limitations of time, space, and natural law which for ever imprison us and frustrate our curiosity about the infinite cosmic spaces beyond the radius of our sight and analysis. . . .

. . . In writing a weird story I always try very carefully to achieve the right mood and atmosphere, and place the emphasis where it belongs. One cannot, except in immature pulp charlatan–fiction, present an account of impossible, improbable, or inconceivable phenomena as a commonplace narrative of objective acts and conventional emotions. . . .

. . . Atmosphere, not action, is the great desideratum of weird fiction. Indeed, all that a wonder story can ever be is a vivid picture of a certain type of human mood. The moment it tries to be anything else it becomes cheap, puerile, and unconvincing. Prime emphasis should be given to subtle suggestion—imperceptible hints and touches of selective associative detail which express shadings of moods and build up a vague illusion of the strange reality of the unreal.

:golfclap:

"Matthew Grau, Cthulhutech Guy posted:

In Lovecraft's day and age, he had to be nuanced. It was required by the social norm – he couldn't print the kind of stuff we print. Nowadays, people are so desensitized to pretty much everything that you have to take it to a level that will be disturbing the current time.

In the 20's, people were terrified, sickened, and disturbed by the picture of the ghoul you get at the end of Pickman's Model. To have that same reaction now, the character would have to walk in on a ghoul eating the baby while Pickman painted it. People forget how deeply desensitized they are now.

Let's be honest, in addition to that, people in the US, a country founded by Puritans, have a problem with sex. In Europe, you get OJ commercials with topless girls. In the US, that sort of thing would put 60% of the country so up in arms someone would die over it. Many people here believe that seeing naked breasts is more dangerous and disturbing than watching someone blow the back of someone's head off.

I notice that no one has commented on the maiming, torture, murder, cannibalism, etc, etc, that is a part of CthulhuTech, because sick violence is an accepted part of US culture (and in many other parts of the world). If the Violator was a torture device, one that slowly flayed and dismembered its victims over time, no one would bat an eye. There would simply be no conversation about it, and people would already be using one in their games. But because it has sex and rape in it, some people up in arms. That seems like a double-standard in my book. It makes no sense to me to be offended by violent sex when you take torturing other people to death and them eating them in stride (and may even think it's cool).

:downsbravo:

Welcome to the epitome. This is what the authors did: double down and write a goddamn Nazi Rape Machine.

You know, in the spirit of Lovecraft.

Rulebook Heavily fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 12, 2013

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Ettin posted:

Urotsukidōji references: Respectful to Lovecraft.

When the devs claimed the game was a fusion of Lovecraft and Anime, they helpfully failed to specify what kind of Anime. And now we know.

Mors: For a vote, I'd like to see Realms of Power: The Divine. I'm not at all up on divinity in Ars Magica aside from the basics.

Rulebook Heavily fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 12, 2013

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Mors Rattus posted:

nobility (Lords of Men)

I love me some medieval nobility!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Bitchtits McGee posted:

While it's hardly breaking news that the vast majority of you, if not all, think your poo poo smells like a field of springtime lilacs, most of the time I'm able to keep my bile choked back to acceptable levels, but coming back to catch up on the thread and almost immediately tripping over the literal demonizing of political figures being breezily dismissed as a curiosity of the times caught me off guard. Had this not occurred, I would have had the next Meikyuu post ready by this afternoon-- or I might still, who knows, but in any event the schedule for its appearance here will have to be altered depending on how Winson decides to deal with the load of manure I've unceremoniously dumped on one of the threads in his charge. Alles klar, Herr Kommissar?

Does this also outrage you

e: Does this make the feels better

• Locked thread