Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Count Chocula posted:

Is it safe to say that Unknown Armies 'You did it' mantra was partly in response to oWoD devaluing human agency? Though Mages having the power to remake reality through belief is a cool use of human Willpower.

Potentially, but I think it was just as much a response to the lovecraftian existential horror genre, if not more. It's an occult universe where instead of humankind being manipulated by the unknowable whims of eldritch horrors, every wierd thing that happens has a profoundly human reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

On the other hand, we've been using stab-safe spears for 2 years now in Oxford mixed up with our other weaponry and had no injuries or problems with them. The squidgy tips of the spears tends to be a pretty big sign that they're safe to stab with, and it's pretty unlikely anyone would confuse them with normal weapons.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Whybird posted:

We've got more larpers in TG than I expected. Is it worth getting our own thread so we can hang out together like the cool kids we are discuss festivals and systems?

There's already a reasonably healthy WoD Larp thread, so I reckon some kind of combat/fantasy larp megathread could do well.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

My vote's for Burning Horizons; I'd love to see where this crazy metaplot train goes next.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Tasoth posted:

I'm going with a pretentious author voice about all things Japan, purple prose, mechanics that were never fully thought out and historical data that is waaaay off the mark.

To be honest I don't think it fits under any of these things, being a tightly focused storytelling game centred around one particular story, but I won't spoil the review. Suffice to say I've heard very good things about it but can see why someone might hate it.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, that's the thing, if you're not doing a pure Rifts conversion, the sensible thing would be if you're going to have so many robots to differentiate them somehow, probably by giving them more unique capabilities. Later as the books go on you start to have more vehicles and robots with unique weapon systems to differentiate them (often with terrible mechanics, mind).

I admit I'm not deeply versed on FATE mechanics beyond Dresden Files and the new Fate Core / Fate Accelerated, but it seems to me more like a make-your-own-game kit than anything else, much like its predecessor, Fudge. As such, a lot depends on the quality of the implementation in the first place.

I kinda feel like Apocalypse World or similar Apocalypse Engine game could do well; the incredible range of character archetypes is a great fit for the playbook approach, and it makes it very easy to give each character type unique rules that don't fit with anything anyone else has. Heck, with the release of the Space Marine Mammal playbook there's even official giant mech rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

citybeatnik posted:

My one experience of Wraith was set in Victorian London during the issues with the Broadstreet Pump and it was -awesome-, which only makes my own inabilities to get in to the game that much more of a heartbreaker.

Orpheus, meanwhile, can go gently caress itself.

Whatever, dude. Wraith is an excellent game of pathos and tragedy and the darkness inside, it's true, but Orpheus is an absolutely brilliant horror action movie of a game. The system's power structure is versatile and gives characters plenty of cool toys, and the metaplot is honestly the best metaplot I've seen written, never putting expectations on PC action or assuming an NPC is unkillable or unstoppable. Sure, it doesn't have Wraith's tone, but it's a hell of a ride. :argh:

:doh: ...maybe I should write it up for F&F.

• Locked thread