Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

quote:

Succeed too well on an attack, blow up half a city block and get community service after school. Do too well trying to woo a date, and you've now acquired your own creepy stalker. In most games this would be obnoxious, but since the whole point of TFOS is watching things go horribly wrong, well...

I was in a con game yesterday with a homebrew system, and one character had a disadvantage where if he rolled doubles on 2d10 his gadgets would Work Better Than Expected. In two hours he managed to cover an entire street with earwax, get caught in a giant ball of bubblegum, and succeed so well at escaping that an entire underground bunker turned into an escape rocket. In other words, I encourage this rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Does Teenagers from Outer Space have any connection to the 50d b-movie of the same name or is it all early anime?

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Tasoth posted:

I'm not going to lie, if a story had a sorcerer piss into a body of water to screw with pursuing ships or an enemy fleet by causing a storm to arise from it, that'd be pretty neat.

It reminds me of the shaman pissing around his human skin when he turns into a bear in Sandman, and would be cool. I feel "Possessor's Mark: Permanently brand a creature with a glowing rune during sex. Doesn't do anything, really, it's just sort of there." could be used as a Sex Move for an Apocolypse World playbook (same with the healing tats).

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't mean to be a pedant but I think the term that encapsulates what you're talking about is "romantic racism." I'm going to go ahead and call out White Wolf as the undisputed masters of it; as evidence I submit WoD Gypsies, Tradition Book: Akashic Brotherhood, Kindred of the East, Hengeyokai....

Holy Jesus gently caress, nobody's done WoD: Gypsies! I'm calling it; hello next review.

The academic term is Orientalism. It was coined to describe things like exotisized harem paintings but works just as well for these RPGs.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Is it safe to say that Unknown Armies 'You did it' mantra was partly in response to oWoD devaluing human agency? Though Mages having the power to remake reality through belief is a cool use of human Willpower.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Qwo posted:

I... w.. what..? What on earth?

I would like to have been a fly on the wall during a serious playsession of that.

Actually no, I probably wouldn't.

The blood wave and the blood whip either come from China Mieville or a D&D 3.5 sourcebook about blood, and I think this:

quote:

Bodymeld: Absorb your willing lover, forming a giant, "hermaphaditic", composite being. The accompanying artwork is rather terrifying.

shows up in at least one Clive Barker book. There's also a Philip Jose Farmer (I think) series about having sex with ghosts and demons. I couldn't make it more than halfway through the first book.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

I don't know; it sounds like your typical antagonist nation. If you hadn't pointed it out, I wouldn't have seen any connection to the Protocols at all. If anything, I'd rag on them for being too stereotypically evil.

Also, we need a video game in this setting right the gently caress NOW.

I love Eberton but Zilargo has bugged me from the first time I read about it. It does read like old anti-Jewish propaganda.

May I suggest splitting the Eberron and Forgotten Realms write-ups into another thread? They're two of the most popular settings for the most popular game, and there's so much to sperg about they'd benefit from having more space.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

The Kitsune sound like a whole race of Cat from Red Dwarf, only not in on the joke.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Mors, what happened to your awesome Ars Magica thread that described why you should join each clan? I love how detailed the game gets with research and publications.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Night's Black Agents sounds cool. Can you use it to run a John Le Carre game without the supernatural nonsense?

I prefer Mirror, and I suggest an ex-IRA hard man who got left out after the last peace settlement. He still fights for the Irish people against the imperialist empire of English vampire.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

quote:

Frivolous Pleasure: Tantric energy surrounds any area in which you have had a sexual encounter within the past 24 hours, repelling undead and speeding up healing.

This is the only thing in that post that isn't vile. It would work for a stereotypically 'pagan' mage or priest, a Cult of Ectasy or Lord Summerisle (The Wicker Man) type.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

That's horrible. The Thief table, with 'Hag, Wench' and Suductress is especially bad but its all gross.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

I love it, and one of my friends is running a game that includes Little Fears and MAOCT, so hopefully I'll get to play it soon. I'm not sure about the tone, since it seems more creepy than light-hearted, but what other game lets you play LILO & Stich or Calvin & Hobbes?

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Was Greg Stolze involved in the Bone Gnawers?

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Bieeardo posted:

I can't get past the five hundred meter long spines poking out of that silly thing's back. It keeps making me think of Citizen Kabuto wearing a semen anemone.
Please tell me you meant 'sea anemone'.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

HitTheTargets posted:

It's like 7th Sea all over again. Although, drat! That's a lot of different magic systems for a supplemental book.

My favorite are the Nightwalkers, and I want to find out more about them. The Night Battles looks like the main source for them in Ars Magica, since it includes 2 of the mentioned traditions.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I've been waiting for so long for The Violator. It's maybe the worst thing in the entire line, it has literally no reason to exist in the book, not even able to hide behind the 'well it's HORROR, duh!' like the fish-rape adventure because it's so over the top stupid there's no way any group who 'encounters' it doesn't just go 'what the gently caress is wrong with you, Jerry, we close the door and walk away never to speak of this again'.

For some reason this makes me offended on behalf of Wilhelm Reich, who was a crank but not an evil one. That's not how you're supposed to gather orgone energy!

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

I've learned more history from Mors Rattus' write-ups than I ever did in school.

The Muslim wizards sound awesome, and I'd love to play one if I could do it without being insensitive. There's a great Sandman issue about Haroun al-Rashid.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

quote:

You may play a Nizari assassin, either a magic-using one (called a mustajib) or a normal fida'i or lasiq. All assassins are dutybound and loyal to the Nizari cult, and generally trained in the arts of murder, disguise and athletics. Their headquarters are the mountain fortress Alamut, roughly translated from the Daylami tongue to mean 'the eagle's lesson.' It bears a magical aura, and is used by the Nizaris to initiate their mustajibs.

I love that the ability to play as one of the most legendary sects of mystics and warriors in history is just dropped into the book. I don't suppose they'd work well in a party unless in disguise, though.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

It would be fun to try and adapt Virgilian magic to other poems in other time periods and settings, like The Inferno or Paradise Lost.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

I think "awesome and tedious" may be the best description of Torg I've ever heard.

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/dungeons-and-dragons/torg-cover-art.php The article on the front page makes it look cool.
Voting for Nile Empire.

And wow Bone Gnawers are the only Werewolf tribe I can actually imagine playing. Get a real Unknown Armies vibe. I reckon you could adapt American Dream pretty easily for other countries: Aussie Battler, John Bull...

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 26, 2013

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

quote:

Master Chef of France (CR 8 Medium-size Humanoid)
The master chefs are cannibals who are said to have gotten their secret of human flesh-based immortality from the Marquis de Sade. They are effectively broken into camps of those who only eat the flesh of the dead and those who hunger for fresh human meat and go out to murder them, but both are equally ultra-nationalist and hate the Nazis with a passion that drives them to aid the French resistance movement. Combat-wise, master chefs have high-ranking fast healing and immunity to poison on their side.

This should be a PC option.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

SMERSH? Fertility cults? Is DG incorporating James Bond and The Wicker Man?

Kurieg posted:

They didn't in their 20th anniversary incarnation.

1st edition werewolf? Well, just mentioning the existance of this book to my Australian friend is enough to make him scream with anger.

Edit:

The Were-Dragons taught them a rite that changed them from were-wolves to were-thylacines, it's not really expounded upon how or why, just that the Were-Dragons know how to do it.

I'd love for somebody to review this. It's rare to see Australia portrayed in RPGs. What's Ned Kelly, an proto-Technocrat? How powerful are the were-sharks, since they can gently caress with the tourist trade? Etc.

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 09:33 on May 28, 2013

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I don't know why but that face and cloak just always makes me think of Dr. Doom. So I'll always refer to them as "Dr. Dooms". This irrelevant fact is now yours! You didn't even have to pay a penny.

Honestly the Temporal Magic is probably the funnest thing in the book, but its inclusion is a complete non sequitur. You'd think it would easy to tie them in as agents of Zazshan (coming in the next update), since multidimensionality and multilocation is its whole schtick, but for some reason that obvious link was missed or dismissed. It seems like it'd be an obvious source for that kind of knowledge.

Doctor Who is very British. Doctor Who is a time traveller. Hence, Temporal Magic.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

quote:

Today, Hermes appears as an incredibly beautiful man about 21 years of age with tanned skin. He has a mythic, undeniable charisma, and all of his disciples seem madly in love with him, male or female, and venerate him as a living god. The cult first came to Quaesitor attention during a visit of Hermes to Ireland, where he prophesized the collapse of the Order and its control by secret societies. An attempt was made to bring him to trial, but he somehow convinced the Hibernian Tribunal of his innocence, and one of the Quaistores, a young woman named Erin, left with him. She is now his right hand and one of his most loyal disciples. Most cults have a long and storied legend as their history, but the Children hold that Hermes is no less than the rebirth of Hermes Tresmegistus, who in his past lives has been Pythagoras, Simon Magus, Alexander the Great and others.

This sounds really modern and New Agey/Californian. Is there a historical basis for it?

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Mr. Maltose posted:

A struggling writer who comes back to find his Fetch is far better than he ever was at pretty much everything who spends all his time trying to become the Least Noticed Faedude.

Reminds me of the character I played for a few posts on this board, who was a punk who's Fetch turned into a famous sell-out rocker. The Fae made money playing in a cover band of his Fetch's band. Basically, Hedwig & The Angry Inch with Fae.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

quote:

He refused to have sex, because he thought it wrong to create more people, who must suffer

Ars Magica's Empodocles was the first antinatalist! Perhaps the real person was too?

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

I'd like to invent a variant that protected livestock against harmful magic - witches cursing your animals, that sort of thing. I'd have to start small, with a Chicken Parma Magica.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Back when I lurked on RPG net, there was a trend of suggesting Dogs in the Vineyard for everything.

So could you use DITV to play as Quaesitores; traveling from Convenent to Convenent and enforcing and interpreting the Code of Hermes?

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

quote:

The Gastronomers take turns hosting an annual, very lavish party. They are interested in politics and friendly competition over who can be the best host. They are led by whomever will host the next party, and the members often assist each other in finding ingredients and entertainment, or in securing the venue, which is always unusual and must often be made safe. Some members begin preparations for their parties years in advance. This league is particularly popular with those outside the House, and is arguably the largest in the entire House.

So you could make a mage based on Heston Blumenthal who literally makes magical feasts?

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jun 22, 2013

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Kagematsu reminds me of at least two Clint Eastwood movies: one where he's a sort of angel of death who rides into town and 'protects' it while raping at least one woman and another where he's a soldier couped up in a convent with at least 3 women.

quote:

Calliclean ethics hold that law and justice are merely devices of the weak to keep the strong, who are by physis' terms just, from their rightful place. It is human nature to be selfish, whether as an individual or nation, and to be a tyrant that inflicts your will on others is both the inescapable state of physis and the ideal state of existence. Luxury, wantonness and freedom from restraint, if backed by strength, are good and happiness. All else is worthless nonsense. The doom of Tasgillia was that this excellence was all she sought, with vanity superior to her prudence. The Calliclean holds that nomoi are established by the ruling powers to benefit themselves, not the ruled. In consequence, those who act justly always come off worse than the unjust. It is therefore right to appear to obey nomos if it brings genuine advantage, but there is no point in actually being "good" while no one is watching. It is always better to seize opportunities to act unfairly if it will help you, though often you will be best served by playing nice. On the face of it, this seems to suggest always acting selfishly to the detriment of society. However, a Calliclean would say that while self-interest is what the physis naturally pursues as good, nomos constraints it to diverge into respect for equality. Justice depends solely on equality of power, for without equality, the strong will do as they like and the weak will submit. Thus, the Calliclean belief is that from conflict there is growth - a weak man can be made strong by hardship and strife, and thus challenge the limitations of their nature. Callicleans are driven to force the world to accept their selfish goals. They have no compunction against breaking rules if it suits them, though they know it must sometimes be done in secret.

Nieztchian wizards. Just what the world needs.

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jun 23, 2013

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

quote:

The primary goal of the Donatores is to assist the dead to pass from this world. They often come into conflict with evil dead, ghosts in purgatory and those who were not buried under Divine protection, as well as those who died in unfortunate circumstances.

Wizard Ghostbusters meets Army of Darkness. Sign me up.
Mors, are you going to discuss the old links between Ars Magica and World of Darkness?

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

quote:

Because of a reluctance to recruit outsiders, matches between covenfolk are encouraged, and matchmaking is a common hobby for magi who have spare time.

This sounds like the setup to one of Shakespere's comedies, like Midsummer Night's Dream.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Ken Hite and Robin D Laws said they'll talk about 'roleplaying in an omnipresent surveillance society' on the next episode of their podcast. I can't wait.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

quote:

Example statutes include: Students must wear academic robes and not dress flamboyantly. Students may not bear arms. Students may not ride a horse to lectures. A student may not keep dogs as pets or affect other forms of noble behavior. Students must not gamble. A student must be in their residence by nightfall. Women may not enter student residences.

Forget mages. You could just play Animal House: Mythic Europe. And I love the rules for Muses and Maestros. I've always wanted to RP Dante.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

I know it's 300 years after when Ars Magica is set but I feel like the Munster Rebellion would be perfect for a German Ars Magica game.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

This is the second book in this thread that has detailed stats for magic trees, which suggests the writer of Rifts: England must have done some research.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

quote:

may not fight while naked or drunk, may not cast spells or use items to affect the duel's outcome or allow observers to do so, may not combine sex and certamen

Wait but... how would you do that? Do I want to know? I'm suddenly seeing Geralt from The Witcher.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

Technically, Certamen is an entirely mental activity involving hurling magic at each other in an illusionary battlefield.

The rest is left as an exercise for the reader, I guess.

Lawnmower Man style cybersex, wizard style? I kinda like it. You can't have a secretive order of Transylvanian mages without some perversion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

quote:

He owns the mummified arm of Orpheus, torn off by the Maenads, and he seeks to recreate the god by grafting the dismembered body parts of Orpheus onto himself. He believes the Orphics of Lesbos have Orpheus' head and are hiding it from him. (Yeah, he's bugfuck nuts. Some, perhaps most, of the Cult believe his madness is a sign of divinity, while everyone else just thinks he's mad.)

This may be a Sandman reference, or a reference to whatever sources Gaiman used. Orpheus' head is a big part of that series, and it spends a lot of time on a Greek island that may be Lesbos.

• Locked thread