Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW

Gerund posted:

While I stand by what I had in my abandoned Alternity write-up, I hated the game and trying to play it, and it shows.

On the other hand, would a 7 Seas-esque run through of Changeling: The Lost be up to people's interest?

Yes, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's repeatedly used in Rifts books to mean "things what eat people", yeah, they just need a better term. Of course, the number of creatures that seem to prefer human meat - with rarely an explanation as to why - gets a bit farcical.

Humans in Rifts aren't just the neutral baseline by which all other races are measured. They're delicious!

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW

AccidentalHipster posted:

Goddammit Wick, can't you go 5 paragraphs without being :smug:? I actually looked up semiotics as well and it's the study of symbols like @ and the letter Q. This means that Wick couldn't stop :fap:ing over semantics to realize he was WRONG. So he's basically being Wick.

Semiotics is one of those academic disciplines that's used in so many ways that it's tricky to get a solid read. It starts easy enough with easily recognized symbols, but then it spirals out of control into cultural representations, the split between representation and the represented (what if C-A-T spelled dog?), and how all communication has an intermediary that impacts/creates/warps meaning.

In a world where symbols have objective magical powers, I can only imagine it would be much more practical than theoretical. The Shoggoth of the Seven Seals can only be assuaged by a virgin holding seven candles. Why? What is the meaning behind the seven candles? The virgin? Is it purity? A symbolic lightbringer? Innocence? Sacrifice? Is there a way that wizards can tap into the symbolic meaning of those candles, that virgin, without actually tracking down candles, virgin?

In other word, it would be more correct had Wick said "The study of symbols and the symbolic nature of myth and epic." It's not so important to know what Dionysus did as why he did it and what it meant to the storyteller's culture (and, presumably, the arcane forces, who deal in poetic logic rather than rational science.)

• Locked thread