Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Mors Rattus posted:

That said, Ratkin is hugely unbalanced even by oWoD standards. Most notably: nearly everything to do with the Munchmausen.

Ratkin really took the "heavy metal album cover come to life" and turned it up to 11, which is really awesome when it's you and your friends sitting around trying to figure out how to blow up that tenement building so it falls right on top of that OTHER building like the Twitcher -swears- he can make happen while at the same time trying to keep the poor Seer from wigging out AND laughing at the Plague Lord for the Bastet-skin suit he made. It's -terrible- when you try to turn it in to anything else.

Both Ratkin and Bone Gnawers were the only things in Werewolf that clicked with me, and the latter's mostly because they tried so hard in the Revised Tribe book to stop them being the comedy relief while still being weird and funky. When you have the spirit of Elvis teaching you a Gift that makes your foes start square dancing while you're driving a personification of the General Lee in to them off a ramp you're on to something golden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Green Intern posted:

I think you can do better.

Check out the actual descriptions of different angels within the heierarchies: Burning wheels, multi-headed monstrosities, exploding suns. They're absolutely terrifying in their majesty.

I reckon the terrifying gaze mentioned is taken to a whole new level when you realize that there's eyes in the spaces between the eyes covering the angel.

Always liked that line from Supernatural. "In Heaven I have six wings and four faces, one of which is a lion."

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

pospysyl posted:

Sidebar: Demon worshipping serial killers are real! Hide your kids, hide your wives, because there’s Wyrm worshipping madmen about. They kidnap babies, and are often just regular people, but possessed, but so subtly that they’re impossible to detect! :tinfoil: I have no idea why this sidebar is here.
If I recall correctly, in the '90s there was that big panic regarding not only Satanists coming to get your kids, but also Phantom Social Workers and what not. I reckon this is trying to, poorly, play in to that. The Satanists are obviously Wyrm-tainted (oogah boogah!), but the Phantom Social Workers had ties with MiB stories so you could argue that, if you wanted to, it was a Union plot to go after kinfolk/pre-First Change Garou.

But that'd require more creativity for the werewolf venue than I've seen on most chats.

:eng101: Speaking as a cradle Catholic (:catholic:) John Paul II was very much in to the Virgin Mary and Blessed Teresa of Calcutta. It just seems as if WW took that little factoid and ran with it, which is odd considering how much effort they put in to how corrupt (:pedo:), out of touch (:dawkins101:), and infiltrated by anything looking for a source of power (:downs:) the Church or any organized religion is presented in the WoD.

Yes that last bit was just an excuse for me to break out the emoticons. Sue me.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Robindaybird posted:

And honestly, some of it's implications considering female metis less female because they're barren and 'crone if you can no longer children' makes me highly uncomfortable.
My take on it, right or wrong, is that the Furies can put up with "male" metis because they're imperfect males while they can't stand their females because they're, well, imperfect females. The mules get shat on by just about every group no matter how open they are for different ideological reasons. Each tribe has its own take on why they're wrong, colored by what they focus on. Yadda loving yadda. You just end up with some extra uncomfortable implications here with the Furies, that could have worked (or been avoided) if you didn't have the "suburban white males trying to write about issues that they have never personally had to deal with and really didn't do much studying up on" issue. The idea of Hathor the Cow-Goddess of internet comic infamy being a viable concept for the tribe amuses me far more than it should.

But then not every Tribe can be as awesome as the Bonegnawers.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Bieeardo posted:

When you can clone people, you don't need mothers any more, do you?

Edit: True, but this is wWhite Wolf. They're probably thinking pods and tanks and cadres of men wearing condoms on their head, celebrating their victory over the feminine principle.

There's that, but I also reckon there's some kneejerk "CHILDREN ARE OF THE WYLD HOW ARE YOU USE WEAVER TECHNOLOGIES TO CREATE THEM!" involved.

Typically anything involving monastic orders in WW tend to end up being awesome. The Gangrel have that Franciscan order based off of Francis pimpslapping the wolf of gruppo, the Jesuits keep popping up all over the drat place...

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

The WoD is full of groups that play up how powerful they actually are. The problem is that 1) WW never went on record going 'no really they're just bullshitting' in an official publication (the developer commentary on clanbook giovanni v what was published being an example) and 2) fanboyism.

Clanbook Ventrue is an example of that. They pointed out the problems that the clan has... which led to people assuming they were really weak when compared to the Tremere, Lasombra, etc.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Wait, Bone Gnawers don't get love, even though they're constantly the dudes protecting the lower classes (protect the helpless...) and often based out of things like women's shelters and all, because their connections 'cost a lot' but Glass Walkers, Gordon Geko the werewolf, who also have connections that cost a lot, get the respect?

Bone Gnawers never get any respect. Ever. It's the Tribe's literal flaw.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Spoilers Below posted:

Would love to hear more about this.

To be fair, Bone Gnawers could actually use Merits to get around their starting restrictions on Backgrounds.

It's just that what Bone Gnawers consider Merits are actually Flaws to just about anyone else.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

pospysyl posted:

Curse on Household is an even worse curse. It’s reserved for really bad transgressions: murder, rape, cannibalism, or parental incest. The curse doesn’t affect the targets themselves, but their children, their children’s children, and so on. You can be specific about how the curse proceeds down the line. You can also decide when the curse will take effect. It doesn’t necessarily need to occur at birth. The curse can be anything bad: chronic schizophrenia, hauntings, inability to keep a job, bad luck, or a skin condition. The curse must have a fulfillable condition to lift it, but it can be something really improbable. It requires a pretty easy roll, but it’s a Level Five rite. The two punishment rites are among the best I've read. They really evoke the kind of spiritual horror that this game should have.
How on earth does that even make sense thematically-wise for the tribe?

Not the royally loving someone over, that's perfectly understandable and, as mentioned, metal. It's the part where the tribe that's "oh we must protect the weak and punish the guilty/males!" just up and goes "Well sorry Tabitha but since your grandpa ate your grandma in more ways than one YOU'RE going to be punished as well". It just seems like something you'd find in another tribe is all.

Unless we're going to go with "the Black Furies are idiots and are sowing the seeds of the very corruption they seek to fight" which is perfectly understandable.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

pospysyl posted:

Next time: Bone Gnawers!

:neckbeard:

Easily my favorite tribe. Looking forward to this.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

pospysyl posted:

The Bone Gnawers also have weird totems and rites. They work with City Fathers, trash spirits, and other incarnations of the contemporary world. Their rites incorporate a milieu of pop cultural references. For instance, they’ll spread peanut butter to invoke the spirit of Elvis, or chant Frank Sinatra tunes to summon the spirit of New York. This only tarnishes their reputation even further, but the Gnawers will accept any ritual technique one of their members comes up with.
:allears:

I look forward to the treatment you're going to give this book. Bonegnawers, with all of their "wackiness", are my favorite tribe thematically, mechanically, and just generally. Their approach to the animism that fuels the werewolf spiritual side is just so drat -cool-.

drat shame most people tend to play them off as either the butt of a joke or just ignored.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

InfiniteJesters posted:

Basically they're the Werewolf answer to the Malkavians, except with actual certified feral badassery thrown in to boot?

As Kurieg said, they're more the "lone outsider information broker" stereotype splat that WW adores so god drat much. However, they took that and added in ":black101: Working class heroes :black101:" which in my mind instantly makes everything better.

Part of the weirdness of the tribe comes from the fact that they're the closest (save for Glass Walkers) to how we think. In a strict, hierarchical, xenophobic society like the Garou you have set societal roles that you have to follow; the Bone Gnawers VOTE on things for Christ's sake and don't seem to care that other people don't respect them. That's enough to make an Elder get the vapors. I'll hold off on saying anything else because it's going to be covered. But, yeah. Totally not hiding my glee with this.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

pospysyl posted:

What a story! It’s pretty dang good. The problem is that it literally tells you that our hero’s life pre-Werewolf is crappy. The “homeless people have it great!” moral is also a little disconcerting. It’s one thing to believe that homeless people deserve their misery, but to actually believe that they’re better off homeless is, to my mind, even worse. Still, the description of low wage America is furiously awesome. It shows what the werewolves are fighting against superbly. It also gives us a good look into the kind of life a less homeless werewolf might lead. It goes for something very different than most tribebook intro fiction, and I like it.
I think the only way I've managed to reconcile my love of this tribe with the very real issue you raised is to imagine the grinding poverty of the World of Darkness being so loving bad that just getting off the train is a small blessing. The kinfolk in the opening fiction is living such a lovely life without realizing that there's some way of breaking free from it that it literally takes a walking manbeast beating the poo poo out of him to go "huh. Maybe I should give up on this useless poo poo". The only reason it "works" is because the setting itself is set up for the end days just being around the corner - while the narrator doesn't have a roof over his head like the others out there, at least he's not trapped in the same repeating cycle and can focus on survival, a focus that is very much at the core of the tribe. Who knows, maybe he'll end up with a bunch of hillbillies out in the sticks making moonshine for when it all comes down.

I think the issue with the Gnawers is that people focus on the trashcan fires without considering the other poverty out there - the tenement buildings, the "three families sharing half a duplex", the Walmart telling you how to get on to food stamps so they don't have to pay you while keeping you working lovely hours. The opening narration does a very good job of hammering that home, as well as showing that the Bone Gnawers have decided to not take part in the system - there's pride there.

Finally, I'd say that most of the artwork in this book is amazing and will stick fight anyone who says otherwise. :colbert:

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Spoilers Below posted:

This juxtaposition doesn't jive at all. Is there anything even remotely weak about awesome Revolutionary War Soldier Wolf smashing a guy with the butt of his rifle?
If you like that wait until he gets further in to the history.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Gerund posted:

4 - A factoid that I am eternally thankful for. Pregnancy in tabletop is at turns creepy, misogynistic, and boring.
The online chats I frequent have rules ranging from "roll to see if you get preggers!", "roll to see whether you're carrying a male or female", "roll to see if you're carrying twins or more!" and the dear-god-I-can't-believe-this-is-required rule of "unless both characters want to get pregnant it doesn't happen" to discourage rape-babies.

I need a better hobby.

pospysyl posted:

That werewolf is wearing a WWII army hat. I take back everything I've said about the art.
Equal parts :black101: and :patriot:.

I really like how humble the Bone Gnawers come across - where you'll have other tribe books going on and on about how they've influenced major events and shaped the world around them, here you have a bunch of Scot-Irish equivalents going "yeah, we helped a bit but it's the regular people that actually made a difference". That and, well, there's just something about The American Dream as a totem that hits this Texan right in his happy bits.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

pospysyl posted:

That was the camps! Gotta say, these camps are great. There’s not a really boring pack among them. While the Sisterhood in the Black Furies can be made exciting with a little bit of work, every camp here provides flavorful character hooks. The Hillfolk are the weak point here, since while werewolf hillbillies are cool, it’s not exactly fertile ground for characterization. Still it’s better than the Amazons of Diana, whose hook was literally “We fight the Wyrm,” in a game where the Wyrm is the primary antagonist.
"Redneck werewolf" is all the characterization you need. :colbert:

What I like about the camps as presented in the book is that they're more groups of like-minded people banding together to accomplish something, as opposed to a route to game-breaking rites, fetishes or gifts and/or a type of "prestige class". As Night said, they just come across as less insufferable and more just "kinda awesome".

I'll also admit that I never thought of tribal Pure Breed as an expression of the "platonic ideal" of a particular tribe. The Bone Gnawer's lack of it suddenly makes much more sense when seen from that angle (it also explains why the other cosmopolitan tribe, the Glass Walkers, likewise lacks it). That's a neat characterization that I hadn't thought about before.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

pospysyl posted:

Red Talons: They’re a danger to the Garou Nation, says Reads-the-Paper. The Bone Gnawer Lupus consider them backwards.
I recall the Lupus' take on the Red Talons as being hilarious, as well as having the book point out that it's actually easier for them and the Metis members of the tribe to survive on the streets upholding the High Ban due to the fact that they regenerate much easier.

The lack of pretension in this book is refreshing and rather unlike what White Wolf usually puts out.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I can't wait until you reach the next tier of gifts, if only so other people can experience the glory. :allears:

HiKaizer posted:

Given the fangs and the cross on the guys surrounded by Werewolves, I might suggest that they are Vampires and are thus either not an issue or are at least a grey area where upholding the Veil is concerned.
I think they're meant to be Gangrel.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

There's still dozens of lit windows people could see from, and the area seems well-lit. Those are likely vampires, yes, but there are probably onlookers out of frame having a serious freakout.
Probably the reason why the whole "they have a nasty habit of breaching the Veil" was brought up earlier.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Kurieg posted:

:allears:
Yes, cooking, the gift that as-written allows you to cut a hole in the roof of a high-rise, stick a ladle in it, and turn everything in the building, living or dead, into a nutritious slurry.

They changed the wording in W20 for this reason.
Had a player once that would get rid of Wyrm-tainted objects, talens and fetishes by tossing them in the stew pot and slurping down the harmless gruel you end up with.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Lemon Curdistan posted:

That's actually a legitimately cool thing that should be supported by the rules.
It was allowed by the ST. He took a Wisdom hit from the sept Elders because they were horrified that someone would do something so bone-headed and stupid, they prepared a punishment rite for what they saw as a gross violation of Garou decorum... and then the spirits showed up and went "nawh boss we cool", causing the rite to fail.

Good use of taking something a player did off the wall and tying it in to the story as a whole I always felt; the pack suddenly had to deal with some embarrassed elders out to smack down the uppity Gnawers and the player who came up with the idea got to feel like a boss. drat shame that game feel through.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

pospysyl posted:

Hootenany is a standout Gift. Used by the Hillfolk, it’s basically Inspire Competence for werewolves. A werewolf plays a musical instrument, and every member of his pack gets dice to increase their Athletics or Brawl checks. Any enemies in the vicinity have to succeed a Willpower check or they’ll be forced to dance. The book recommends performing Dueling Banjos.
You left off the bit where it's taught by an Ancestor-spirit that looks oddly similar to Elvis.

And nice to see that WW has continued the -fine- tradition of including new, lovely art in its X20 books.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Robindaybird posted:

I'm not sure what's the best part, that the GENERAL LEE is a totem spirit, or the LARP rules for rite of pizza. Bone Gnawers really are the best tribe.
The TT rules for Rite of the Pizza are just as hilarious, as the rules literally allow you to bribe the ST with slices of pizza should you order one to reduce the difficulty of the rite.

I also love how most of the merits that the Bone Gnawers have access to would be a flaw for just about anyone else. Ratkin buddies get a special mention that if you get a 10 on the roll one of your buddies is replaced by a new Ratkin, who leaves you a gift... which is typically just a bunch of junk. And they'll beat the poo poo out of you if you don't think it's awesome.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I think they goofed slightly with the crazy bird lady - the sample characters aren't given flaws, but she was probably meant to be suffering from the Lost Homid one. The stat and gift choices then make a little more sense. It also suffers from the bog-standard "White Wolf did a terrible job telling the art department to tone it down a bit", as the description doesn't really match the picture.

As for the Ahroun sample I'm just :allears: over it. You did leave off one hilarious part about it though, the equipment. He's got a a collection of wrasslin' magazines, asack full of potatoes, a bottle of moonshine (made from the potatoes) and a rock (cunningly hidden with the potatoes).

pospysyl posted:

Next time: Let’s take a palate cleanser with Bunyip, then move on to First Edition Children of Gaia, shall we?
You poor, poor bastard.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Ratpick posted:

The only thing I recall about the White Howlers was something along the lines of "You can play a White Howler in the sense of a member of a long-lost bloodline of the tribe from before they got turned into the Black Spiral Dancers, but you won't gain any tribal gifts unless you join another tribe and you will be constantly hounded by Black Spiral Dancers trying to get you back into the fold and also don't do it because you'll be a total Mary Sue."
There was a story in one of the fiction anthologies that basically covered that. Only with a hermaphrodite metis because of course it's a hermaphrodite metis.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Wapole Languray posted:

[*]The Luchacabra Fighters Chupacabras have one hell of an inferiority complex. They get no press outside of crappy Syfy “monster hunter” shows and Mexican tabloids, are compared to actual mangy dogs, and nobody has even bothered to do a convincing Chupacabra hoax which is obviously the biggest indicator of cryptid fame. Plus, “Goat Sucker”? That's like, the worst name ever. So, they decided if nobody will give them respect, they'll take it. So, a bunch of Chupacabras got together, learned the noble fighting art of Lucha Libre, and now go around the world wrestling more famous and likeable monsters into submission with flying arm-bars and the Goat Slaying Grand-slam.
Word's fail me. I can't think off the top of my head a better paragraph I've seen recently. God drat masked wrestler chupacabras. It's beautiful.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

pospysyl posted:

gently caress. Let’s not waste any time, then. One of the best tribebooks is coming up shortly, and if we’re going to get there, we need full steam.
You've already covered the Bone Gnawer book. :colbert:

(But seriously, I think the compare/contrast you have between the Gnawers' take on what they've done ["nawh, wasn't us, we just helped a little"] verses everyone else's take is what cemented them as a personal favorite of mine.)

About the only "good" thing I've ever seen come out of the Children of Gaia books is the delusional lengths people on the chats I frequent will go to point out about how that's all wrong and how CoGgies make the best Ahrouns and yadda fuckin' yadda.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Punting posted:

Haven't you ever wondered just why the Children of Gaia, Bone Gnawers, and Glass Walkers are all hosed up? :science:
The Bone Gnawer response to that situation is to try to put whatever wolf kin they come across in to zoos and other animal sanctuaries. Pisses the other tribes off to no end, but they're cared for and the local Gnawers can show up occasionally and sneak in hot dogs and other treats.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Young Freud posted:

Maybe it's an Orlando thing and Squizzy transitioned from a man to a woman thanks to the gift of immortality.

Vykos did it.

It wouldn't be the most fucktarded thing WW has ever come up with. Didn't the old New Orleans by Night book have subways or something in it?

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Mr. Maltose posted:

We even have Papal dispensation that calls beaver a fish for the relief of missionaries working with First Nation groups in the 16-1700s.
And yet for some odd reason we couldn't get them to wave a hand and go "yeah, sake and rice balls totes work for communion".

But that just served to give us the possibility of running a L5R game where every PC is a crypto-Catholic so there is that.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I thought that some of the Bunyip's former Totems had ended up being adopted by Rat - Tasmanian Devil being the one that springs immediately to mind. Are the Bunyip less likely to be huge flaming assholes to Bone Gnawers then, or does my favorite tribe not get any breaks?

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

One of the things I always had a hard time with Wraith was wrapping my head around the, well, time difference - could you be one of the Resistance fighters with starting stats? Would you be folded in as one of the recently dead if you died near the Ghetto from unrelated causes?

What I'm trying to say is that after reading that blurb I want to play the gently caress out of Wraith but I haven't the foggiest how to get started or where to find a group.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

MonsieurChoc posted:

IIRC, there's a merit or background in the Player's Guide to be a really old ghost. Doesn't make you stronger, because it's not because you've had more time to improve yourself that you actually took the time to do it, but it gives you a benefit based on how loving long you've been around. Unlike, say, vampires who would become really powerful when older, most wraiths just keep hanging around, so there is literally no limit to how old your character would be.

I never managed to get a game of Wraith going, but I did run a few successful one-shots. You really need players who are game for it though. And then there's the unfair advantage of not everyone having the same roleplaying skills, so that some Shadows become stronger simply because they're played by people who are better at loving with someone else's mind.

My one experience of Wraith was set in Victorian London during the issues with the Broadstreet Pump and it was -awesome-, which only makes my own inabilities to get in to the game that much more of a heartbreaker.

Orpheus, meanwhile, can go gently caress itself.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Kai Tave posted:

I am in no way, shape, or form a WoD gamer, I wound up passing that whole milieu by in favor of Feng Shui and Shadowrun, but hang around any tabletop RPG forum long enough and you're bound to accumulate knowledge of the various different Mage flamewar-starters simply by osmosis and this one right here is one of the biggest. From what I'm given to understand the guy in charge of making Revised what it was did what he did precisely because, as you say, people were playing Mage as a game of weird arcane heroics when a few people in charge thought it should be all grim and grounded and bleak. So a number of the changes in Revised, prominently among them the Avatar storm, were put in place specifically to be invisible walls intended to push people into playing Mage "properly."

And then the Sons of Ether book came out and basically went "gently caress you I'm going to go punch jetpack nazis while being awesome".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Kai Tave posted:

I'll try and refrain from turning this into a White Wolf chat derail, but White Wolf has a long history of having trouble maintaining consistency (and quality) within its game lines. Freelancers and other writers seem to just do whatever the hell they feel like half the time with minimal oversight and by the time it comes to the line manager's attention it's too late to send it back for serious revisions, just a quick edit or two and it's off to print.
I actually count the ability to travel back in time to punch MechaHitler on the moon to be a very strong argument in favor for the Sons of Ether.

Specifically, the Etherites' outlandish way of acting is described as a calculated attempt by some to overcome the very Apathy mentioned - where the "traditional" method of rebelling in the World of Darkness meant going punk and nihilistic, the Etherites rebelled by wearing a fez and rubbing banks with their coincidental death rays. That part always stuck with me, the notion that they had identified one of the problems with the metagame itself and were trying to overcome it.

• Locked thread