Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Don't the spellcasters get more spell slots and poo poo each level, even if it's not outright listed on their level chart there? So they wouldn't have any truly dead levels either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

He's a sage and he employs a scribe! :eng101:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Amechra posted:

If you smack someone with Balefire, and you then activate Avoidance Kata, what happens to the guy you erased?
Avoidance Kata explicitly doesn't change the past, just the present (including memories of those not powerful enough to resist the effect), nor does it restore any damage you took or resources you expended in the fight you used it in, so they remain Balefired.

EDIT: I also don't remember the exact conditions, but you don't have very long to use Avoidance Kata before you're committed and can't just go have always been doing something else, so the answer might be "Sorry you can't activate it anymore".

Zereth fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Apr 20, 2013

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

... Ghoul paladins? :raise:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Tasoth posted:

The idea behind Cyre goes further back than China Melville. The Vlad Taltos novels have the Sea of Chaos on the heart of the old Dragaeran Empire which was brought about when one of them was dicking around and punched a hole in space-time. And the Vlad Taltos novels are pulpy as all get out, too.
I've heard they originated from an RPG campaign Steven Brust played in, too.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mr. Maltose posted:

You reroll characters in Mage: The Ascension.
And get into fights with the Order of Reason, clearly.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

unseenlibrarian posted:

Mostly what I remember from the discussion on the rape-furry stuff is people telling me apparently completely straight faced that it wouldn't work on NPCs or PCs because obviously they'd go after the rape furries while wearing full NBC suits, blinded, and deafened with white noise generators. How'd they'd be expected to talk to each other, not shoot each other or civilians instead of the monsters, or even interact with the adventure at all...

...Wait, maybe that was the plan.

I vote Unveiled Threats highlight reel and then Ancient Enemies, just for it being the other major book of "What no, you can't do that, only our NPCs can."
I'm not going back to check, but doesn't that require OOC foreknowledge since they're supposed to be a surprise to the PCs?

Tasoth posted:

So, is the CTech view on military organizations based on their reflexive 'HIGH SCHOOL WAS BAD' world view they have? Because I thought the big thing about being in the military was that it turns into a tight knit, second family for individuals and that is a both a huge boon and a source of some of the problems that happen inside it.
Yeah, going "they're letting you ask QUESTIONS about the special operation they're sending you on" seems less "look how great the migou are" and more "business as usual".

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Parkreiner posted:

The reality mash-up bits of Torg are kind of a pain in the rear end in play, but they lend the game a lot of its character. It was both aggravating and amazing when my Nippon Tech martial artist disconnected in the Living Land and was horrified to discover his nunchucks were too high-tech to function. Not that I had any idea how to visualize that.
... His stick tied to another stick stopped working.

He was unable to hit people with a couple of sticks.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Does having dirty laundry have mechanical effects in Ryuutama? Because that would make Knights of Cleansing even better.

wdarkk posted:

It's pretty cool to do things like spontaneously cast the entire evocation school and most of conjuration too as a wizard. The whole point is to come up with new ways to astound the DM.
Wouldn't casting every evocation spell at once grind the game to a halt and likely gently caress things up worse than they were before you started? :confused:

neonchameleon posted:

It's even worse - the spells you're casting can be one level higher than the spells you can cast so you can use a 7th level slot to spontaneously cast any 8th level spell from the list.

:words:
Oh. Oh I see.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Wait, the Make Earth Stop Spinning device starts up its 20 round countdown to "ha ha gently caress you I'm in the core you can't do poo poo" when they TOUCH the shipwreck, which it is inside of somewhere. And there are skeletons. They have 20 rounds to fight skeletons, find the device, determine that they need to reverse it instead of just destroy it (somehow), and then hope somebody actually bought the relevant skill at suitable levels?

Are you sure the Still World isn't the default here? :psyduck:

And while I'm here I'll throw my vote in for the Nile Empire.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

The shipwreck is at the bottom of the Indian Ocean. The plane the PCs are expected to steal does have deep-sea diving gear. It's Nile Empire deep-sea gear, so it has stuff like torpedo pistols and sun blades, so at least the PCs have some gear they can use.

And yes, it's 20 rounds from, and I quote, "the moment they set foot on the pirate ship".
Oh I wasn't questioning their ability to function on the bottom of the sea.

It's sounding like it's quite possible to fight off the skeletons, find the thing, figure out you need to reverse it (... somehow), and then just not have anybody with a skill to do so, though. :staredog:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Capfalcon posted:

2. Unforeseen Actions. Sometimes, the GM just says how things are going down. "The Goblins are too far away." "The water is too rough for your boat." Etc. One of the examples includes the GM saying one of the goblins was faking dead, and when you get far away he starts running. One of the players says, "Hey, I'm cautious, so I would have been keeping an eye on them. Can I get an awareness roll to see if I noticed him faking it?"
That seems more like a "The GM forgot something because he is an imperfect human" mechanic to me. And some GMs tend to go with "nope I already said it happened no backsies" even when the sequence of events doesn't make any sense in-character.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

... Happymancer?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Return to the TOMB OF HORRORS Part 4: We Built This Skull City On Skulls and Bones

-A sarcophagus with a human male warrior on it. It's empty; but if you search for traps inside it, the door slams shut (unless you propped it open with something that resists 20th level magic effects). The person trapped inside saves vs. spell at -4 or is subject to the sink spell, causing them to sink into the floor and be trapped, at which point the sarcophagus reopens.
... really. Really now.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

It's surrounded by corpses that clearly died trying to get at it.

Given that the demons keep resetting the tomb, the corpses must be part of the decor. It's clearly something intended to look incredibly lethal that you want to ignore, but is actually a mandatory thing to progress.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Midjack posted:

I don't think anyone in either thread has said "no, stop" and they aren't likely to say it to you, either.
I think I said it about Black Tokyo.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

What's a "Wizard Jack"? Capitalized, so we know it's Important. :confused:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Wait, per year brewing the thing for potions? How fast is this game supposed to move?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Don't forget that 3.x had Good, Medium, and Poor BAB progressions, while Legend's Poor appears to be 3.x's Medium and it ditched Poor entirely.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Traveller posted:

The book does tell you Blood Swords are DOOMED - in a small sidebar you could easily miss, since the swords don't really have that many rules. To make things worse, there's another sidebar hidden in the Seasons chapter that mentions how regular swordmakers can make quality regular swords that also grant bonus dice. Which actually seems like a trap option, on second consideration: a blood sword can easily cut through a regular iron sword.
Clearly the answer here is to figure out how to make swords out of materials that aren't iron or woodSTONE so they aren't on the list of Things Blood Swords Can Cut Through.

Zereth fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 31, 2013

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

I am suddenly a lot less optimistic about that new Torment game.
Pretty sure it's not using that system. Like, at all.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

... poo poo. The "all powers are fueled by HP" thing just seems like a terrible idea, honestly. :ohdear:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

I was not talking about the rules.
Fair enough then.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Make as Invincible an Invincible Sword Princess as you can in Rolemaster.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Not some shallow combat monkey? What the hell do you think an Invincible Sword Princess IS? :colbert:

(it's a type of Exalted build designed to be as impossible to hurt as you can make it, that's what)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

David J Prokopetz posted:

The ability to make the rest of the group die of boredom every time your turn comes up while you make seventeen attack rolls is also de rigeur.
That's how combat works in Exalted, right? You bore the GM into going "Okay gently caress it you win"? :rolldice:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Robindaybird posted:

Funny how Baldur's Gate of all things made the best argument against relying on magic in one throwaway line: "So the Wizard said, 'Even if I created a twenty foot high wall of iron, what prevents someone else from making it disappear?'" not enough settings seem to take in mind of the ephemeral nature of magic.

It should be treated as amazing, but unreliable.
Except in D&D that kinda falls down because magic can make a perfectly mundanely created wall of iron disappear too.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Libertad! posted:

Chapter 3: Races

Here's where we get to the meatier parts of this book.
What book? :confused:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Tasoth posted:

Having spent time with my GM making races for a campaign that never got off the ground, it's pretty simple to make a race in 4e. A +2 in a primary, a +1 in one of two traits, a power for combat and then typically a feat that modifies how they play.
:eng101: That's also a +2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Syrg Sapphire posted:

I lock this/toss up thread #3.
Please do those in the other order so you can put a link to the new on in this one.

• Locked thread