Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Bieeardo posted:

I think the most hosed up thing about all of this is how Fields just kind of shrugs at the ability to permanently brand someone as part of the sex act. gently caress the wrong person, and get a big 'ol red A somewhere on your body.

To Fields, sex is just an extension of the combat rules; i.e., a means of establishing mechanical dominance. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Bitchtits McGee posted:

There's a bit I forgot to mention: the target can make a WILL Save to resist the branding. It still lasts a couple of days even on a success, though, and the roll has a penalty if the sex is non-consensual. Yeah.

Alternately, you can just skip trimming your nails and save yourself a feat slot. :downsrim:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Fossilized Rappy posted:

Is that really how Fields uses talents? That's really terrible, if so. What made talents special in d20 Modern and Star Wars Saga Edition was that they were basically multiple choice class features, allowing a single class to take multiple roles. Diluting them down into "take this trait thing at first level" is disappointing.

It's just a copy-paste of the "trait" mechanic from Pathfinder. I imagine he just uses a different name because he can't use the Pathfinder Compatibility License on products like that.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

It's amusing to see Hengeyokai and Arrows of Indra being done at the same time, because they both fall into a very similar fallacy: adapting real-life mythology to fit an established set of game metaphysics rather than playing to the strengths of the mythology itself.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't mean to be a pedant but I think the term that encapsulates what you're talking about is "romantic racism." I'm going to go ahead and call out White Wolf as the undisputed masters of it; as evidence I submit WoD Gypsies, Tradition Book: Akashic Brotherhood, Kindred of the East, Hengeyokai...

Which is too bad, I really like some of the game elements of Kindred of the East or Hengeyokai better than the core games, but they're unable to treat the cultural material well. Of course, with Werewolf's splats as they are, casual racism is kind of hat-in-hand as it is (Fianna, Get of Fenris, Silent Striders, Wendigo, etc.).

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Kurieg posted:

SS Revised I never read since the tribe never really appealed to me.

The revised tribebook honestly isn't bad, I'm just remembering art like this, where every third Silent Strider looks like an extra out of Cleopatra. (And the 1st ed. version of the tribe also continued White Wolf's love affair with magic gypsies.)

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Robindaybird posted:

Is that a Horseshoe crab-shaped shield?

Edit: and there's gaps where the artist forgot to fill in with white.

That's Darren Calvert (D-MAC), probably my favorite artist out of the M&M 2e and 3e books, and certainly one of the most reliably solid artists they have on the line.

And it's not a problem with the art, as you can see here, it's a problem with the layout on the PDF.

Robindaybird posted:

• Warrior - Super strong, and fairly agile and tough. Has some customisation of movement powers, choosing between running really fast, swimming really fast, jumping really far, or having super sight and hearing (disappointed the last one wasn't burrowing really fast) - Not sure who this guy is suppose to represent but I'm guessing Aquaman based on the picture

Probably inspired by the new Aqualad.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Apr 11, 2013

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Thinking about it I find the choices of subject matter for Werewolf splats generally just... bizarre and random. Feminist werewolves! Hobo werewolves! Irish werewolves! It's like any random goddamn thing they thought up just got thrown into the game and who cares if it's interesting or makes sense.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

pospysyl posted:

I actually prefer the diversity of Apocalypse to the homogenized vaguely Native American flavor of Forsaken. In each of the Tribe- and Breed-books, each splat actually has its own origin myth. The werewolves' myths are usually minor variations of the one in the corebook, but the breeds can get really out there. Even though the tribes tend to stereotype, at least there's an acknowledgement of cultural diversity. More tribes also means more cool powers, so that's fun.

If you read the Lodge books for Forsaken, they do a lot to diversify them. Each Lodge has its own variations on their mythology, and some of it it is far more divergent from the core mythology than Apocalypse's tribes generally get (particularly in Lodges: The Splintered).

I'm amused over the absolute disconnect between the cover of NEKKED TATTOO WOMENS WITH KATANAS and what actually awaits for us inside in terms of game material.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 12, 2013

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Kurieg posted:

As an Aside: I was reading up on the Seventh Generation, because I remembered them being a good example of a non-overt 'punch the bane and we're through' enemy, and it sort of is

It says something about Werewolf that you could call a millennia-old conspiracy that exists to promote rape, child abuse, and human sacrifice "non-overt". The 7th Generation is easily one of the worst parts of Werewolf. It takes issues like child molestation and turns it into the product of mustache-twirling cultists punching babies to charge up their occult coppertops. :(

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

My big issue with TORG was an issue with how crossing over the worlds worked, where certain PC abilities just stopped working from world to world depending on the metaphysics there. It seemed like the most unfun mechanic, and it's the main reason I never got into it. I don't want to be told I can't be a werewolf during some adventures! Yeesh.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Guide to Technocracy mystifies me because its a great book written by the guy who wrote Changing Breeds. But the design team was headed by Jesse Heinig who is one of the better dudes working at WW during that period. And I guess it also had the dude who wrote Transylvania by Night which is a pretty popular book but I didn't like it all that much.

Changing Breeds is a perfectly written book given its intended audience. :(

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

oriongates posted:

It combines massive size, terrible editing, minimal coherency, and a hefty price tag.

Sound interesting to anyone?

Go for it, I want to see how it turns flops out.

Kinda surprised I don't have a copy, come to think. I do have a weakness for AEG's crummy yet ambitious d20 work.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

Those latex swords are gorgeous, but they can do a bit of damage - more than any of the above, at least - and they're not particularly safe around eyes. So as far as I know, most LARPs that use them either try to enforce lighter swinging or mandate the use of armor. Now, of course, some are more hardcore than that. :black101: But IIRC, they don't hold up for very long if you are beating the crap out of them. And it's not like you can just slap a new layer of foam on top when they break. (I know the least about these, because they just started making serious headway into the States when I was getting out of the scene.)

Of course, here in the states, the chances of getting shot by an overzealous cop or citizen for waving around a more realistic weapon around is higher. It's not likely, but it's a potential concern.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

What's particularly weird are the ELs. Even though ELs are dicey in the first place, it's just sheer not-giving-a-gently caress to throw low-level PCs against that many high-level encounters. The first level of a dungeon this big, by definition, doesn't need to be overtly challenging, but instead should a primer to concepts and themes in lower levels.

If you have a lot of room to work with, use that to your advantage, not to your detriment.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Any playtesters in the credits? Getting the impression World's Largest Dungeon was pretty rushed out just to capitalize on its gimmick.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

MalcolmSheppard posted:

When we don't playtest, and stick to the other costs, we need under 2000 sales, which is an achievable point for a company like AEG heavily pushing a premium supplement.

You're spot-on about paid playtesting not being viable. Taking the Paizo method of "playtesting" might be better - release and early version for free and take what feedback you can get might be viable. It isn't going to be nearly as meaningful, but if you can mobilize even a tiny portion of your fanbase, it can help at least catch glaring errors.

Not that any of such excuses the remarkably lovely design on display, mind. It's not practical to do a full playtest, but what you could do is just playtest the first section or two, since gently caress, not like most groups are going to get further than that.

Edit: Of course, the fact that it's unplaytestable points to the glaring oversight that makes it practically unplayable, too. The thing about megadungeons as some platonic idea of D&D ignores the fact that they're just not practical for the grand majority of gaming groups. Or even necessarily that much fun.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 24, 2013

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Down With People posted:

Nerd business and exploitative shadiness are two great tastes that go together.

What they needed was a ridiculous Kickstarter to fund the $250k they needed for playtesting, and everybody would be too invested to care about the years of delays. :allears:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Robindaybird posted:

I - what the gently caress was that formula poo poo doing in there?

Least the abortion bit isn't as cringe-worthy as I feared it'd be, considering WW's track record.

What long-winded rant that boils down to "tits or GTFO".

I'm just glad they didn't get into vaccines or castration, I suppose. But preachy baby advice is probably under "things you never, ever need in a game".

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I much prefer the idea of presenting clues without making the PCs roll to spot them (in one sense or another), but the issue with Gumshoe is once I nab that idea there's not much left to the game itself.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

One thing to realize when playing those older games there just wasn't much of a focus on "doing it by the book" in most groups. I mean, I'm sure there was somebody that used all the Speed Factor rules and the Armor Class by Weapon charts in AD&D, but I've never known them. There was a much greater tendency to only use RAW when it worked, and discard it at all other times. I don't think I ever actually understood Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Other Strangeness' combat system when I was running it, and there was just no knowledge that there might be a better way at the time.

Which only lasted until I encountered GURPS, which for all its foibles, had the advantage of perhaps being the first well-edited and designed game I ever played, and shocked me out my complacency regarding rules.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

ProfessorProf posted:

Each Ork starts with a single goblin, and gains one additional goblin underling every time they gain a point of Oog. Goblins can be used as a resource to make your tasks easier, but only if the goblin dies. The player must describe a way in which killing or sacrificing a goblin allows them to more easily accomplish their task. The goblin is expended, and either the difficulty of the task is reduced to Easy, or one point of Spite is neutralized.

I admit I was lukewarm on the game until I read this, but that's just adorable. :)

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

ProfessorProf posted:

Ryuutama, Introduction: Hayao Miyazaki Presents Oregon Trail

Yay! This would be great to see translated.

Kurieg posted:

Was he trying to be clever by mashing together "New" and Shinigami, or did he just screw up writing Shinigami every single time?

Boo! I think this is an example of being unable to translate from Japanese to Japanese, honestly. Or not really understanding the mythology. Or...

Bitchtits McGee posted:

Chris A. Fields posted:

Aura Radioactive Hell (heavily irritated area 150 ft)

... well. I certainly would be irritated to see that in a game! :v:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

In case I haven't mentioned it before, your Cthulhutech reviews were a big inspiration behind me reviewing some dumb ol' book called Rifts, and in turn giving me an excuse to take my first big steps onto the board.

One thing I think it is interesting is that the Lovecraftian monsters, curiously enough, have almost never been put forth as PC fodder, and I think it's really interesting that Mortal Remains tries. It falls into bullshit boring bug-harmony, but it's one of the better things from Cthulhutech so far. (Mind, that's damning with faint praise.)

In any case, I'd vote for publication order, but ultimately do whichever one you think'll keep you posting!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Ettin posted:

I meant if you page ahead to the index it doesn't have a chapter heading. That Table of Contents is screwed up the same way in my book.
Three "editors"!

Fixed that for you.

Every Rifts book I've had lists three editors as well. Note to Palladium and Wildfire: each of you can fire all three of your editors, I'll take the pay for two, you'll get better editing and save money even though I am not a professional.

And I'll only get better because I can be bothered to read a style guide. Get in touch! Really!

ProfessorProf posted:

Crafter

This covers a wide variety of professions. Chefs, blacksmiths, masons, carpenters... the unifying trait is that your talent is making things with your hands.

Wait is this a woman who looks like she's over 20 years old in an Anime-styled game? What... I... what...

Expectations wrecked. :psyduck:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Ettin posted:

Matthew Grau posted:

And yes, you can blame the Violator on me. However, as you can infer from the tone in the book, I am as disgusted with it as you are. After all, this is a Lovecraftian game. It would be disrespectful of me to not go there.

Urotsukidōji references: Respectful to Lovecraft.

HP Lovecraft posted:

And as for Puritan inhibitions - I admire them more every day. They are attempts to make of life a work of art - to fashion a pattern of beauty in the hog-wallow that is animal existence - and they spring out of that divine hatred for life which marks the deepest and most sensitive soul...An intellectual Puritan is a fool - almost as much of a fool is an anti-Puritan - but a Puritan in the conduct of life is the only kind of man one may honestly respect. I have no respect or reverence whatever for any person who does not live abstemiously and purely - I can like and tolerate him...but in my heart I feel him to be my inferior - nearer the abysmal amoeba and the Neanderthal man..

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Tasoth posted:

So wait, Lovecraft was a nihilist? At least that is what I am picking up from the reference to divine hatred for life.

Not really, though he was very close. He believed in what he called cosmicism - unlike nihilism, he believed there might be meaning or purpose to life, it was just largely inconsequential when considering the "deep time" of an indifferent universe.

When he's referring to "life" in that quote, he's referring to the base processes of life (eating, pooping, touching other people in general), and that humanity's animal nature was something to overcome, not to dwell upon. I don't agree with ol' HP on most things including that, but the point is making a game that dwells considerably on the grotesque details of assembly-line sexual violence because it is "respectful" betrays an utter disregard or ignorance of how the guy actually thought and felt.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

DC Heroes (Mayfair) created the logarithmic stat/power system that Underground used. When they lost the DC license they changed it to 'Blood of Heroes' right?

I've considered doing the character / world section from Blood of Heroes, but I already have too many F&Fs on my docket.

It is really

really

really

bad.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

berenzen posted:

In 2011 Crafty Games, the makers of Spycraft and Fantasy Craft, released the Mistborn Adventure game which coincided with the release of Alloy of Law, the newest novel in the Mistborn series. Since then it has received little support as it's splats have been stuck in development hell, even though most of the mechanics are apparently finished.

That being said, it's a fairly obscure game that is actually kind of fun to play, and there a lot of hinting that the Alloy of Law expansion will be coming. And hopefully by the time I'm finished this, Alloy of Law will be out for me to continue on with this.

Oh, great to see you covering this. I have a copy but haven't gotten to read enough of it, but it definitely deserves an airing.

Though, knowing Crafty Games, the belief that anything is coming more soon seems awfully optimistic... :(

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Arashiofordo3 posted:

Plus if two vampires are surrounded by that many 'wolves means they've probably walked into somewhere they really shouldn't be. So it's their own fault really.

There's still dozens of lit windows people could see from, and the area seems well-lit. Those are likely vampires, yes, but there are probably onlookers out of frame having a serious freakout.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Count Chocula posted:

I'd love for somebody to review this. It's rare to see Australia portrayed in RPGs.

Unless it's a post-apocalypse game! Then it pops up all the time! See also: The AADA Road Atlas and Survival Guide Volume Four: Australia, Mutants Down Under, Rifts World Book 19: Australia, etc.
Wait, it is called Werewolf: the Apocalypse, isn't it...

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Rifts England is pretty bad even by Rifts standards. Yes, even worse than any of the books we've written up so far. It's main contender is Rifts Africa, which... I have finished and ready to go as soon as this is done. Yes, it's going to be back-to-back failures as we get cover the "notably awful" portion of this thread.

It's a heaping helping of :iiapa:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Bieeardo posted:

Africa was so bad, parts of the book escaped before it hit the printer, but they tracked them down and included them as loose sheets. A quarter or half of it was some filler RCC, easily missed, but the rest included the XP tables for everything in the book statted up as a class.

Yeah, the printing of Rifts Africa I have has the missing bits like the tree people and Victor Lazlo, but in teeny weeny eight-point font or whatever as Kevin struggles to literally paste them in the existing book. That stuff is only missing from the very first printing, as I understand it. :shobon:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I'm going to flash back to my original F&F review of the Rifts corebook and point out it had this picture of a druid (really just a preexisting piece of art Kevin Siembieda licensed or purchased from Keith Parkinson). But there are no druids in that book.

And so when I was young and first read it, I was disappointed there were no rules for her. I figured they would get some rad nature control powers, or animal control, or elemental jazz, or something like that. I was excited! Well, here we are, six books later in the Rifts line, and finally, finally, rules for druids. I was still excited! I bought a copy of Rifts World Book Three: England to get that druid fix.

After I read the next part I was no longer interested or excited about druids. :(

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Fossilized Rappy posted:

Oyasuminasai Ninja (CR 4 Medium-size Outsider)
Like the kamikaze spirits and kon-nichiwa samurai seen in the last post, these guys are tied to the Kuromaku. Unlike them, however, they are obviously not undead. They are from another dimension but have sworn fealty to the Kuromaku in order to gain access to our world. They are basically just ninja that can teleport through shadows within their line of sight and are weakened by sunlight. Woo.

So the theme with some of the Japanese monsters is "names you cannot take at all seriously if you have even a passing familiarity with Japanese"?

Given we have the "good afternoon" samurai and the "goodnight" ninja... goddammit Pinnacle, did you learn nothing since Deadlands? :cripes:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Fossilized Rappy posted:

Just wait until we get to the sourcebook Land of the Rising Dead. :getin:

Ugh. It certainly gives a new appreciation for the lovely Japanese puns in recounted in my review of Way of the Scorpion, which were bad but at least Wick tried. Pinnacle is just :effort:, apparently.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I love Pinnacle, and I love Weird War 2 for Savage World, but goddamn they learn nothing from their past.

Fossilized Rappy posted:

Vodka Healing lets you heal 1d6 points of damage for every 12 ounces of vodka you drink.

Of course it does. :mad: It makes me think of d20 Afghanistan, which gave Muslim clerics cure light wounds because Muslims can ignore pain out of sheer fanaticism, donchaknow. :cripes:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Kavak posted:

Mother of Christ, I'm starting to see this company made Broncosaurs Rex (Unless we're talking about different groups).

We are talking about different groups; Afghanistan d20 was done by Holistic (of Fading Suns fame) and Broncosaurus Rex was done by Goodman Games.

Speaking of which, a correction. On further reading, any clergyman in Afghanistan d20 can cast cure light wounds it for any similarly religious character by "convincing them their wounds have healed". So it's still stupid, just not that sort of stupid. Which is better, I guess. Just still loving stupid.

Then the Dervish prestige class comes up later in the book, an Islamic knife-wielding superman, and I :cripes: again...

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

occamsnailfile posted:

Lastly, the Scathach. These druids are warriors and blacksmiths who can work with more than just trees--they can manage metal! And maybe even rock. Also it looks like they have a whole big list of stuff they can create. They again get really limited PPE, lest their item creation powers actually manage to function. These guys have a huge list of special magical junk they can make which is separate from the usual list of magical herb crap that already got its own fifteen page section, so here we go.

Plenty: Jesus cauldron, food or drink prepared in it will feed ten times as many people as one of its size normally would. Given that they can make these basically as big as they want according to the text above, this is another thing I would fully expect every town or city with enough barter to invest in, which is probably why they’re 300,000 credits. Take that, starvers.

It bears mentioning these magic goodies don't have any unusual costs of creation other than magic power and ritual, so somewhere in England it follows there must be a Scathach cabal or cabals that are filthy loving rich. Not that there's a whole lot to spend your money on in England, since it's all pastoral and rural communities, but...

Also I have to concur that those herb lists are pretty long-winded and useless. Did you know certain astrological signs are connected with plants? Did you know palm leaves are associated with Scorpio and the sex organs? (Not many palm trees in England, but...) Did you know licorice root tea is a "thirst quencher"? Imagine that! Tea that can quench thirst! Sheep fat is made into soaps and cosmetics! It's not an herb, but who gives a gently caress!

:v:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

occamsnailfile posted:

They can also all do tattoo magic which works only on humans, elves, ogres, and other Chiang-Ku. I can’t remember if this is consistent with Atlantis or not but it would seem odd that the Splugorth would practice it so commonly if it wasn’t usable on their loyal minion races.

It is consistent, though it also works on "True Atlanteans" as well, since they're just specialer humans. The Tattooed Men and Maxi-Men (I just like mentioning "Maxi-Men" whenever possible) are generally elite slave warriors for the Splugorth. It's implied the Chiang-Ku created the tattoos for use on humans (elves and ogres being "close enough"), and the Splugorth probably stole the knowledge at some point. I'm not sure why the Chiang-Ku bother putting tattoos all over themselves when they are busy being master disguisers, the plan seems flawed, but what do I know? I'm not an immortal super-dragon.

Oh, and-

Rifts World Book Two: Atlantis posted:

GM Note: The ability to create magic tattoos should NEVER be given to a player character. Furthermore, it should be extremely difficult for any characters not affiliated with, or serving, the Splugorth, an ancient dragon or True Atlantean alchemist to ever find anybody who can create magic tattoos for them.

And then one book later, in World Book Three: England, we have the chiang-ku, a PC class that can create magic tattoos. Whups! Now you can make your own Maxi-Men!

maxiii-mennnn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

My vote is for Day After Ragnarok. Deadlands Noir has Stone on the cover, so it loses by default. I like the idea but... I'm gonna judge that one by the cover. Stone! Go away! Nobody likes you! (Well except Pinnacle.)

occamsnailfile posted:

Really they’re just supposed to be a lesson in how not everything ugly is evil etc etc.

Which is always odd to see, given that for some reason, monster cultures like Atlantis (and the one we'll see in Africa) despise beauty, which is defined as the human standard of beauty. Why? Because they're evil monsters. :v:

But that's okay because he's subverted our expectations with bug-people that hardly matter to anyone anywhere. Of course, this is a Siembieda theme - in Villains Unlimited, which England references, you have 2 or 3 villains that aren't really bad but just are persecuted because they look monstrous, and then you have the secret society of pretty aliens that look like humans that actually want to wipe out or enslave anybody that looks human in favor of ugly monsters (anything that doesn't look human, even if it once was human) because... um... they're racist against humans. Which they look just like. You may want to imagine a snapping sound because that is the sound of my brain breaking.

• Locked thread