Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The revised tribebook honestly isn't bad, I'm just remembering art like this, where every third Silent Strider looks like an extra out of Cleopatra. (And the 1st ed. version of the tribe also continued White Wolf's love affair with magic gypsies.)

IIRC that's the tribebook with the dread Werechihuahua, though I don't have access to a camera/scanner right now to prove it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Kurieg posted:

At first I didn't believe you but.

This guy?
Leeiiiiiffff :argh:
Hahahaha, yeh, that's the one. Should've known it was Jones' handiwork.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Fun note: most of the rest of the "Asian shifters" from this book got further support & showed up in Revised form later on, but from what I can recall the Hakken pretty much got "outside the scope of this book, see [future book that says the same thing]" for the rest of WtA.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

And here we reach the part that, as a young oWoD player, pissed me off the most. Like any/all of these "actually pretty different from their Western varieties" shifters, like the Kumo or the Same-Bito? Too bad, this is the last place you get any material on them! Including the individual breedbooks, which came out afterwards. I remember getting the Ananasi book, all excited to find out more about the Kumo, only to get a "Kumo are totally different and mostly incompatible with the rules for Western spider-people, gently caress off". Same with the Rokea book, with the bonus of contradictory/imcomplete rules (quick, what stat mods is a goblin shark actually supposed to have?) and even more "the Same-Bito are traitors to everything" (which is funny considering that the Kumo are actually Wyrm-tainted, but got less poo poo from their breedbook).

Kurieg posted:

They need to pay full out-of-clan XP costs for any Gift not specifically tagged as a Nagah Gift, since they're so tightly tied to the Dragon Princes most other spirits think they can ignore them.
Pretty sure this was later changed to "all other Gifts are inaccessible and Nagah-specific Gifts are more expensive than usual because the spirits know they can gently caress with you all they want, where else are you gonna go?"

Kurieg posted:

they can inject venom with a bite. If any damage from the bite gets through, his opponent has to make another soak roll against 7 Aggravated Damage :stare:
This, wisely, got nerfed to "7 lethal damage", making them good at crippling/incapacitating other shifters rather than straight-out kakking them. You know, so they can judge them, or something.

[Edit:]Then again, I remember actually liking the Kitsune, so what the gently caress do I know about anything. Let's see how embarassing that chapter actually is, without my "teenage WoD fan/weeaboo" filter glossing over the bad parts.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Kurieg posted:

Yeah, cause there were never any fox myths in Europe. Fox spirits never showed up in Native American myths. Nope, Trickster foxes only exist in Asia. This isn't even getting into the fact that the Korean equivilant to Kitsune want your tasty tasty livers and the Chinese equivilent are out to possess you and steal your penis/nipples. Did Aesop have dick-stealing liver-eating she-foxes?

I thought not.

No, the real reason that the Kitsune aren't all over the world is because that would take away their specialness. The author seemed to think that there was a false dichotomy that by making them more common they would become mundane. If you spread them out around the world and knocked down their ego a few pegs they'd probably be okay. But no, the Kitsune are special and they will never let you forget it.
I think - think - the Nuwisha and Kitsune were originally meant to be the West/East versions of each other, but things changed and the Kitsune became their own thing somewhere down the line. And as far as Chinese/Korean Kitsune being different, well, the Hunter Survival Guide gave some hints toward that IIRC - along with the only canonical Revised-era looks at Demon Hunter X I'm aware of outside of a sidebar in a Kindred of the East book.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Bitchtits McGee posted:

bonuses to Handle Animal and Survival checks involving "mindless vermin", which I guess would be insects? So why doesn't he just say "insects"?
I'm thinking he means the D&D Vermin type, except barring exceptions all Vermin are mindless and can't be trained with Handle Animal (I think?), so still FIELDS.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

JohnOfOrdo3 posted:

I found the idea of a personification of the hate of an entire nation and the deaths from world war 2 kind of interesting, and it could be a fantastic final boss.

Then I remembered what game this was for and was really disappointed :sigh:
This does sound like the perfect way to troll your gaming group, though. "Everyone brought their characters for the Black Tokyo game? Good, this campaign is about resentment and atoning for the sins of one's forefathers, with a heavy self-sacrifice component. Also, acid jizz."

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

My vote goes:
Unveiled Threats to give you a bit of a break ->
Ancient Enemies because it's kind of my favorite CTech book (for how purestrain anime-RPG/"it works because it's cool" Tager games get) ->
Burning Horizons because its metaplot and builds on the first two.

AmiYumi fucked around with this message at 15:50 on May 9, 2013

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Man, I am loving the art in this. Adventurers who actually look like they're ready to travel, as opposed to dudes in tin cans and waifs in "gently caress-me" robes? Hell yes.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Leliel the 12th posted:

Really, it makes CTech even more sad and despicable. Even the actual mecha anime with eroge elements is better and less skeevy than this game!
You must admit, like 90% of that is thanks to DOCTOR WEST.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

pospysyl posted:

Why do the Bone Gnawers recruit so many cubs? Their Rites of Passage are a joke, and many members don’t even go to any tribal events. Many tribes accuse them of just fleshing out their numbers. There is some truth to this. The Bone Gnawers can call upon their rabble in times of need, and they will come. The rabble includes Garou with a variety of talents, most which involve violence and crime. It’s the Bone Gnawer secret weapon. It’s what makes the Bone Gnawers such effective shock troops and what makes them expendable.
It should be noted that it's implied in a number of other sources (including the Apocalypse book IIRC) that this hands-off approach is also loving over the Bone Gnawers big time, with a lot of the rabble being Maneaters, Wyrm-tainted, or some other flavour of "has a good reason to avoid Garou society".

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

pospysyl posted:

Rite of Man Taint
:gay:

Thinking back on old WW stuff, I'm surprised at how easy it was to totally derail games by being the one guy at the table not taking their purple-prose naming schemes seriously (most of Bone Gnawers excepted, of course).

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

RE: The Bunyip, I love how the Red Talon tribebook's approach wasn't the "woe, we have slain our brothers and hastened the Apocalypse" you'd expect from a WW book. Instead, it's just a brief "we showed up, some not-wolves were there, we killed the poo poo out of them for being on our turf". Refreshing.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Druggeddwarf posted:

There is one golden rule in every single game of Kagematsu: He must be played by a woman.
No wonder I've never heard of this game; where the gently caress would you demo it?

"Now recruiting female gamers to pretend to be a man being seduced by a table of greasy elfgamin' dudes who are all pretending to be women! Please show up alone, without informing friends or family beforehand."

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Return to the TOMB OF HORRORS Part 9: I call it "Lost Wages."
Games > Traditional Games > FATAL & Friends 2: RPG Supplements, but not the good kind like you want.

(That said, I kind of miss the old days of D&D where adventures would have you run into things like the Moilian woman in the mirror and have the response of "sure, why wouldn't she follow you through the post-apocalyptic ruins of her civilization on the hunt for a demilich?")

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

These glyphs, when read, unleash a 20th-level dispel magic. Spell, active magic items, potions, and everything else instantly fails.

It's... it's beautiful.
I had somehow forgotten about this. How hilariously dickish; that's the sort of trap that you just know a DM has announced with a trollface, followed by victory pelvic thrusts to celebrate his TPK.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Hey, Ettin, do you mind if I cover the "Racial Insecurities" mini-supplement for Cthulhutech, or is that line still your horrible rape-baby?

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

AccidentalHipster posted:

I wonder if I should do a write up on that Naruto expansion.
You know the answer to that. Either it's good, in which case we need to hear about it - or it's terrible, in which case it belongs here.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Cythereal posted:

While I fully agree with and respect this position, this approach also bugs me some. Supernaturals are responsible for virtually every bad thing (and virtually every thing, period) that happens in the World of Darkness, but the Holocaust? All human, nothing supernatural involved. It's downright egregious when looked at in the context of the rest of the setting for all that I agree with the reasons why they did it.
I don't remember too much about the book, but I do recall it heavily leaning on the position the good WW writers took: Supernaturals don't "cause" major events in history, they just claim they did after-the-fact; the ones with the power to cause real change are too terrified of change or playing N-dimensional chess with their rivals or just generally have their heads up their rear end too much to see the potential in doing anything other than being parasites.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

50 Foot Ant posted:

"Real weapon ranges aren't fun because REASONS!"
See, this is where I love both ends of the spectrum. Some games (AEON/Trinity, I think?) handled it as "these aren't actual weapon ranges, they're the ranges you can do anything other than spray blind cover fire"; others, like Adeptus Evangelion just say "your railgun fires as far as you can see, and if you need to hit something farther away than that you're probably firing from a stationary position while hooked to a computer for plot reasons so it's going to be up to the GM anyway". It's when you try to split the middle that things look dumb.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Kurieg posted:

I'm not sure if their level of control within the Sabbat was ever really defined
It was. The revised ST Handbook for Vampire (that covered the whole "Enoch goes boom" thing outside of a brief mention in the last Wraith book) explicitly said that all previous material on the TRUE BLACK HAND was the propaganda/fanfiction written by a tiny sect of elder vampires that even the other elders thought needed to chill the gently caress out and get out more. I can't quote it right now, but I remember it basically saying anything not expressly written or contradicted in the chapter is the Vampire equivalent of "my uncle works for Nintendo so I get all the new games before they come out."

The Nagaraja were pretty cool, though, once they got the Revised treatment and actually became playable*.

*IIRC they had the bizarrely-common problem in Vampire of "is supposed to have cool abilities, but they're on page XX and don't actually appear in this book"

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

AccidentalHipster, how impossible/boned would an attempt to create an actual/historical ninja be in Naruto d20? You know, relies on stealth and poison and distraction, and any "mystical juju" is just sleight-of-hand.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

FMguru posted:

He published one tepidly-received D20 adventure titled "What's That Smell?" which somehow failed to shatter the granite pillars that D&D3E was erected upon and send it crashing to the ground, and then he dropped it and moved on.

Someone really should write it up for F&F (not me, I don't own a copy).
I actually picked this up a while back.

It's terribly-written, betrays a complete lack of understanding of even the most basic aspects of 3e*, and is chock-full of character-punishing bullshit**. Also, if I remember right, it justifies being absurdly deadly for no reward with "hey, it's not like you have to keep playing; you can just flee the area like the spineless coward I know you are."

*Like most poorly-written early d20 products, it's a mix of badly-designed 3e and badly-designed 2e, with many assumed (but never explained) houserules.

**IIRC the only treasure is hidden well out of the way any PC would reasonably go, behind multiple double-bluff false doors and the like, and is trapped to the extent that it is 99% likely kill any PC who tries to take it at the recommended level. And after all that, it's still way under value for the adventure, and belongs to an NPC that will want it back.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

Kingu: Descendants of the Babylonian god, these guys are either grotesque carnival freaks or incredibly beautiful. (Mechanically, they all get a physical deformity or a mental illness.) They’re really good wizards.

So beautiful.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Count Chocula posted:

Like half of Fields stuff, this starts intriguingly creepy (in a good way) and then gets gross.
As far as I know, dude was really into Corpse Princess (to the extent of rewriting his goryohime or making a supplement or something), but decided it needed some extra scatalogical and sexual undercurrents. So don't give him all that much credit.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

This may be the most "RPG!" art I've ever seen. Note: I do not mean this as a compliment.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

Heck, the Ravnos had already been wiped out when their (average-to-good) clanbook came out!
I posit that only made the Clanbook better, since the whole thing was presented in a very "here's how poo poo used to be, but keep in mind it's mostly irrelevant now and also anybody who could corroborate this poo poo got iced" way. A bigger problem was the way NPCs escaped the "and every Ravnos hears their founder's death-scream and goes into a murder-frenzy" aspect, though - a lot of "you seemed squirrely, so we staked you for a while" and even a "well I felt a bit of an itch to murder, so I took a nap for a few days" IIRC.

And then, later, the Vampire writing team forgot that Ravnos' death-curse was explicitly an angry curse on his lineage based on his unique discipline clouding their thoughts, and just made it "this is a thing that happens when antediluveans die".

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Libertad! posted:

He's got a +13 bonus, so he's good at spotting hidden opponents, at least. Shroud's really just a second set of eyes... and a glorified translator for spirits.:ghost:
The way you're describing him, it almost sounds like they intentionally set up a minion/future-cohort NPC, which is a good idea...except then they had to ruin it by making him 1) terrible at his self-described job, and 2) a kender, which "properly roleplayed", is going to mean no one in the party listens to his "guys guys hey guys I see something guys HEY HEY" act when it's actually meaningful, because he does it every 20 seconds no matter what.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Maybe it's weird, but the more JRPGs I read, the more I dig the idea of Replays. It fixes a problem that I shouldn't have but do with way too many games of going "the setting looks neat, but how do they expect me to run this?" and gives some concrete examples of how often they expect you to call all those "at the GM's discretion" rules. Ideally these would be better explained in the rules themselves, but I think we all know at this point how likely that is.

Plus, Replays serve an important function more and more Western games seem to lack: showing off the fact that at least one group of gamers playtested this poo poo. :(

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Hey, you know what this thread hasn't had in a while?

Apologies to Ettin, hope you don't mind

The game line seems to be in a rough place at the moment; the last plot book was PoD-only, everything else is getting delay after delay. Lo and behold, a "book" came out earlier this year! ...with such little fanfare I actually had no idea it was released until weeks later, when someone idly referenced it in a question! ...also it's 16 pages, 4 of which are blank! Let's take a look at: Cthulhutech: Racial Insecurity [Fetch]

Spoiler warning: I kind of like it, despite my best efforts. :stonklol:

So, after the cover (which is the same Fetch picture as the core book but flipped for some reason), the "book" opens with the Cthulhutech standard short fiction. This one is "Bean Corp", a bit about a Tager pack (and their Fetch companion) stumbling into - ugh - a cult of Horned Ones. You know, the furry rapemonster things from Damnation View? Everything goes to hell when the Fetch decides to derail the Cthulhutech Rapemonster Railroad Experience™ (which is described in-text as "a furry's wet dream") by grabbing a can off a shelf and yelling "I HAVE THE BEANS!" It comes off as an edited transcript of an actual session, because that "breaks the spell" on the rest of the party as they start laughing and making similar declarations of "bring me the beans!" and "impart unto her the beans!" as the storytellercult leader fumes and yells at everyone for being idiots and ruining everything. Anyway, it does a pretty good job of letting you know that adding a Fetch to your game will turn your Cthulhutech sessions into monkeycheese bullshit instead of :tvtropes:, which works for me.

Next time: the six pages of actual content!

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Ettin posted:

Sure, I'm still picking up the series when I have some free time though! :v:
Gasp! Senpai noticed me! Guess that means I should get back to

Racial Insecurity [Fetch]: Part II: The Entire Rest of the "Book"

First things first: There's no "If you downloaded this book..." sidebar! :toot:

Okay, starting off for real. After the intro fiction, we get a page and change of fluff about what a Fetch is; the money quotes are "like pet monkeys" and "like a permanent five-year old". Superior Fetches, which I forgot existed until now, are instead "like a[sic] permanent teenagers, with the mood swings and cruelty that often go with those years."

The physiology section is where things get interesting:

Fetch Physiology posted:

While they may identify as "he" or "she", they don't actually have the sexual characteristics to support either ... as such, they cannot be influenced in any manner that requires sexuality. This includes the seduction abilities of any creature, whether they be magical or not.
OH HELL YES playing as a Fetch comes with an inherent "get out of the ST's creepy wank fantasies free" card? Sign me up!

The "book" goes on to reiterate that Fetches are pretty much little humaniform balls of otherworldly energy, so of course they can't be Tagers/Engel pilots/para-psychics/anything else that would ruin our precious canon. Instead, it suggests that Fetch PCs pursue that great path to power in Cthulhutech that is Sorcery. Then it points out the "Fetch sorcerers may enjoy the ability to summon more of their own kind" and oh boy I don't see that going anywhere other than the ST flipping a table and storming off.

Anyway. Rules! It recommends Fetch PCs be restricted to Arcane Underground or Eldritch Society games, because of course a tiny magical gremlin is balanced alongside a Guyver suit. You are also told to decide if your Fetch is bound to a particular sorcerer or not - of course, being Unbound is presented a page later as an Asset you have to spend points on during character creation, but why bother with those details here?

Playing a Fetch is both a racial template and an Asset; you can either take standard Fetch for 1 point or go Superior Fetch for 2 points. What does paying the same price as being double-joined or being friends with a couple mid-level bureaucrats get you? Well, that varies by subtype.

Regular Fetches posted:

Fanged Dwarf: +1 Agility, +1 Strength, Nightvision, Thermal Vision, 3x Climbing Speed
Carnivorous Amphibian: +2 Agility, -1 Strength, Acute Vision, Nightvision, 2x Swim Speed, Amphibious (duh)
Flying Imp: +2 Agility, -1 Strength, Acute Vision, Nightvision, 2x Flying Speed

Superior Fetches posted:

Vicious Gremlin: +2 Strength, +1 Perception, +1 Tenacity, Acute Smell/Taste, Nightvision, Thermal Vision, 3x Climb Speed
Amphibious Monster: +2 Agility, +1 Tenacity, Acute Hearing, Nightvision, Sonar, 2x Swim Speed, Amphibious
Gargoyle-Like: +2 Agility, +1 Tenacity, Acute Vision, Nightvision, 2x Flying Speed
A reminder: every one of those "special senses" is normally a 2-point Asset, except Nightvision (which is 3). Latent Psychic Ability - which as a reminder does absolutely nothing - is a 4-point Asset. Game balance!

Fetches have a big ol' list of Assets and Drawbacks they aren't allowed to take, and Alluring/Sexy Voice only apply to other Fetches (despite them being asexual and immune to seduction :v:).

And, just because, Fetches also get a free point in the Occult skill and can bump it to 4 during chargen (Superior Fetches get 2 points and can bump to 5), 4 free ranks in R'lyehan, 4 free ranks in Tsath-yo, and 4 free ranks in four other languages. Also free natural weapons of pointy teeth (+0/+1) and claws (-1/+0), double Orgone/Ruach (just like having a bad case of tentacle cock), and Fear Factor 12.

Game balance!

Next up is the Asset section, most of which I've covered already. The only one left is the 4-point "Re-Summonable" Asset; if you take this, it means that you've taught the rest of the party and/or some other sorcerers the specific parts to add to the "Summon Fetch" ritual to bring you back from the outer realms if you get killed in the Real World. So, for 4 points - the same as being a basic Tager or Latent Para-Psychic - your character is a literally immortal magical gremlin. Again, sign me the gently caress up.

Now, at this point I was starting to wonder: if Fetch PCs are supposed to be a thing, how are they expected to get through all the NEG checkpoints and vital scans and such? I mean, they're otherworldly monsters summoned by illegal magic, their very existence is illegal. Maybe that's why the "book" has been pushing Fetches toward sorcery - they'll have some kind of disguise spell, or artifact?

Hahaha NOPE.

Playing Fetches posted:

One of the most important parts of playing a fetch is figuring out how to disguise yourself, so that you can maneuver in "polite society."

Playing Fetches posted:

Learning to say, "That's my dad, right over there," can work wonders when hidden in the folds of a hoodie.

Speaking of, hoodies and baseball caps are a fetches' best friends. They cover and conceal, giving people the opportunity to pretend that all they're seeing are kids or teenagers.
Aaaand now I have the image of some Sableye-looking motherfucker in a trenchcoat and a fedora acting as party Face. I might have to stat that up.

And...that's it. The rest of the "book" is just two pages of example stat-blocks (which I'm pretty sure are reprinted from the Core and Vade Mecum), followed by an ad and four pages of blank white. Definitely glad I paid extra for PoD!

AmiYumi fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 20, 2013

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Hipster Elf Scholar, who was into everything you like before you were even born.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Selachian posted:

That's a funny-looking P in the title. When I first glanced at the image, I thought it said Gor.
I imagine at least half of those men would enjoy welcoming you to a world known as Gor.

• Locked thread