Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

You just know I'll win

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

With how Wizard's runs all their online and digital products, they probably believe it's some kind of a dark magic.

Hasbro doesn't even like RPG's enough to give D&D a regular, full sized dev team. I doubt they're going to buy a company just to cut out the middleman with a minor operational cost. This also assumes that the DriveThru people want to sell and I'm highly doubtful of that.

The most WTF line for me was "When the Dungeon Master's Guild was announced, most of the fear I heard was "it's going to be the D20 era again, with a few gems hidden in piles of dung." Now, I think the fear should be for the market shift and the potential harm to publishers that aren't in the DM's Guild Market."

I haven't seen any indication that any real publisher was going to use the DM Guild. It looks like it will exactly be the d20 glut, but to a much lesser extent. What publishers are going to be harmed by not taking such a bad deal?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Literally The Worst posted:

You just know I'll win

Somehow I'll just have to live out the rest of my days knowing I'm Wrong About Comics.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Somehow I'll just have to live out the rest of my days knowing I'm Wrong About Comics.

Is there any particular reason why you're unwilling to engage in discussion in the discussion section of the website? Or are you just blessed with a sneer reflex?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

clockworkjoe posted:

The most WTF line for me was "When the Dungeon Master's Guild was announced, most of the fear I heard was "it's going to be the D20 era again, with a few gems hidden in piles of dung." Now, I think the fear should be for the market shift and the potential harm to publishers that aren't in the DM's Guild Market."

I haven't seen any indication that any real publisher was going to use the DM Guild. It looks like it will exactly be the d20 glut, but to a much lesser extent. What publishers are going to be harmed by not taking such a bad deal?

The author seems to be living in a fantasy where Wizards is an unstoppable juggernaut with unlimited funds to support D&D and 5e is a runaway success dwarfing all other RPG publishing.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Well to be fair this isn't the right thread for it, unfortunately it doesn't seem like there's any kind of accepted protocol for moving a slapfight-friendly topic to the correct place.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Well to be fair this isn't the right thread for it, unfortunately it doesn't seem like there's any kind of accepted protocol for moving a slapfight-friendly topic to the correct place.

Any kind of protocol would run headfirst into the problem of whether people want to discuss the thing, as opposed to making pronouncements about it.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Jimbozig posted:

The author seems to be living in a fantasy where Wizards is an unstoppable juggernaut with unlimited funds to support D&D and 5e is a runaway success dwarfing all other RPG publishing.

A lot of RPG-centric people just flat out don't consider Magic when discussing what's going on with Wizards and D&D.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Which is hilarious since M:tG is literally the only reason Hasbro gives a gently caress about WotC. D&D is a tiny fraction compared to what the card games pull in, and it's got the staff and budget to match.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

ProfessorCirno posted:

I think this is less a lack of ambition issue and more what happens when you turn D&D into a pair of blinders. You get so used to D&D - or worse, in this case, one specific edition of D&D - that you lose sight and understanding of everything else around it.

3.x was built on the idea of the rules enforcing some kinda "realism" to them. It's not surprising SKR took 16 years to finally realize that wasn't mandatory and that a giant space exists outside of his island. It's just pathetic. The fact that he's still unable to explain things outside of a 3.x context tells you how utter devoted he is (and how warped he was).

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, something I observed when I reviewed Pathfinder was that almost all the design experience of the people involved was solely d20. I think SKR was one of the few original Pathfinder designers that actually had written for something else (Alternity). I'm well aware of how well the d20 blinders go on because I wrote a decent amount of d20 material, and even got recognized for it, but the way d20 design goes is that a lot of it basically formula. How a monster is designed, how a class or race are designed, all have fairly tight formulae of how they're done, and when you're inside the bubble you learn that balance is achieved just by following those formulae. Or, alternately, just making sure your material roughly matches the power level or challenge rating of other things at that number. You have to step outside of it and realize "huh, clerics are kind of bullshit, huh?" to get out of it, and I did eventually. But I remember the fights I would get in with my codesigners - like seriously angry feuds - and now I wonder what the gently caress I was thinking. I mean, obviously I was in the right, duh, but realizing how hosed the system I was working in makes it seem kind of comical.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yes, it's no real secret that the rule in early years that Hasbro mandated that Wizards cut staff by 10% a year early on in the 2000s as detailed in Designers & Dragons. Stevens, Slavicsek, and Adkinson were amongst the more notable casualties, which is breathtaking on reflection. It didn't really stop around the time of 4e, which is how they lost Tweet, Heinsoo, Noonan, Baker - and that's hardly all, the list goes on and on.
Relying on D20 insiders with little outside experience has been the norm at WotC for a long time. When 4th edition was released, almost everyone had worked almost exclusively on D&D-related products. If a guy’s list of credits wasn’t exclusively D20 it was probably because he’d been around since AD&D and Alternity.

I can’t even keep track of all the people who came and went from the D&D team through the lifespan of 4th edition and the Next development process. I won't speculate on why anyone was fired (individually or as a group), but the end result was paring the team down to Mike Mearls plus...Jeremy Crawford and Chris Perkins, I think? Plus a handful of people who have zero industry experience outside of D20 supplements, and who I assume are freelancers. Everyone else who had long experience in the industry, or who had experience outside the D&D bubble, is gone now.

Lately I haven't been inclined to argue the merits of D&D 5, but I notice that while there are several things Mearls has done that lead me to believe he just designed the game to suit his own preferences, the argument to the contrary is just people saying "A company like WotC couldn't possibly be that stupid." And while I appreciate the insight of people with industry experience in how the creative development process normally works, that's not much of an argument.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Asimo posted:

Which is hilarious since M:tG is literally the only reason Hasbro gives a gently caress about WotC. D&D is a tiny fraction compared to what the card games pull in, and it's got the staff and budget to match.

Its either Magic just not being on the radar of the person in question, ignorance about this state of affairs, or a chip on their shoulder about how Magic killed their 2e campaign in 1994.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Cristopher Rush, another Magic artist died. Most notably for Lightning Bolt and Black Lotus.

I miss the days you could recognize Magic cards from across the room, RIP.

edit Gatherer keeps screwing up the link, who thought it was a good idea to use [ ] for input.

Goa Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Feb 11, 2016

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
So what do you guys think about the third party making an oculus rift virtual tabletop featured on Dragon+?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

The Real Foogla posted:

Cristopher Rush, another Magic artist died. Most notably for Lightning Bolt and Black Lotus.

Oh no! I liked his work back in the day so much that I made an entire deck with nothing but cards he'd illustrated. Ihsan's Shade especially struck just the right note for my emo goth sixteen-year-old soul, and I tried desperately to incorporate it into every deck I played.

(I've never been good at deckbuilding.)

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Nuns with Guns posted:

So what do you guys think about the third party making an oculus rift virtual tabletop featured on Dragon+?

NorCal is fuckin' wild, and the day this dumb tech bubble bursts will be even wilder.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Nuns with Guns posted:

"I mean, you have six friends with this poo poo who'd love this, and I've got six friends with this poo poo that would love this, there must be a huge market for this!" said the socially-isolated disruptor.
"Genius, bro. Millions of dollars headed your way." said the VC.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

ProfessorCirno posted:

NorCal is fuckin' wild, and the day this dumb tech bubble bursts will be even wilder.

Gerund posted:

"I mean, you have six friends with this poo poo who'd love this, and I've got six friends with this poo poo that would love this, there must be a huge market for this!" said the socially-isolated disruptor.
"Genius, bro. Millions of dollars headed your way." said the VC.

Yeah I can't quite imagine how it would be possible for this to work at all. the only thing this does differently from Tabletop Simulator is you have to wear a goofy headset and the board looks like it's smaller and not even in 3D.

It's weird how D&D is endorsing it, too, since the only way to get official 5e rules for the VR PDF support is the starter set or pirating the full books

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Feb 12, 2016

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

VR is gonna take off like crazy aaaaaaany daaaaay noooowww

...said the hyperventilating tech media in 1992...

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I thought we didn't want RPGs to resemble video games, but maybe that's why this is using 1990's graphics.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Nuns with Guns posted:

I can think of multiple ways you might do a VR or AR experience that fits into a Virtual Table Top.
So why is the one these guys came up with so amazingly stupid?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

the Venisocracy was only the beginning

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The only review is in Swedish or something, and aside from being 5 stars, it looks as though he/she says the rules are simple and that he/she can't wait for more. There aren't many explicitly feminist games out there, so at least they're selling it on that basis rather than their "innovative d20 mechanic" or the fact that you can "be anything, unlike those other games"?

I know it's super-nerdy to care about details, but both the product name and company name figure other languages are "code" for English, where you can just swap out the word you see in an online dictionary with the English one. Novus Dea = New male goddess, not a great company name for feminist gaming. :colbert:

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Are you going to review this? Because if you don't, I might. It's only like 5 USD.

homullus posted:

The only review is in Swedish or something, and aside from being 5 stars, it looks as though he/she says the rules are simple and that he/she can't wait for more.

"RPGs should be different and this is.
Even if there are some printing errors, this book provides
A good concept and simple rules.

The fact the game is socially relevant only makes it better and how it is presented
Is both fantastic and serious.

I can't wait for more !"

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Our good friend RBH has done a livetweeting of this "game":

https://twitter.com/AndriErlingsson/status/697896821708955648

https://twitter.com/AndriErlingsson/status/697918650792222720

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
...As a transgendered person, I'm just speechless at that.

EDIT: I'll just say that is both stupid and offensive.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I don't think you need to be transgendered to be speechless at how stupid that is. :wtc:

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
lol at first i thought it said " she can also look like a person" and i was like drat

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
I guess between this and Beast the Primordial goons are all set for rpgs in 2016!

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Is this one of those things that claims to be something but is made by the people who hate it to make it look bad?

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
The game does not promise intersectionality.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Is this one of those things that claims to be something but is made by the people who hate it to make it look bad?

I'm thinking it's more like White Wolf. Made by people who are genuinely well meaning outsiders but have some sort of highly exoticized view of the material.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
What the gently caress.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

That is the most... let's generously call it misguided thing I've seen all month, and it hasn't been an inoffensive month.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
It's like a an adolescent Witch Girls Adventures. Or an even more adolescent one.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Tendales posted:

The game does not promise intersectionality.

as modern feminism comes from a white upper-middle-class background, that's an unfortunate reality we must do away with

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Aug 25, 2016

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Lightning Lord posted:

I actually sorta tangentially know Abby Soto through other acquaintances and she definitely has access to transgender game designers she knows. I have no idea why she thought that was a good idea, or why she didn't touch base with anybody. There's really no excuse.

Abby Soto... Abby Soto... I've heard that name before, right? I...

... oh. Right.

Bieeardo posted:

It's like a an adolescent Witch Girls Adventures. Or an even more adolescent one.

Fixed.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, Jesus Christ. Now I feel ill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
Honestly though, if even half the games out there had this kind of audacity, this industry would be a recognized art form already.

• Locked thread