Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

cbirdsong posted:

I dunno if I missed something, but I feel like both of Double Fine's Kickstarter games turned out okay? :shrug:

I liked Broken Age Act 1 pretty well (though I haven't played act 2 yet) and Massive Chalice is a neat twist on XCOM. I guess they were both late, but that's like every goddamned Kickstarter, video game or otherwise.

I liked Act 2 as well, but it certainly had its flaws and I understand why a lot of people didn't like it. It also wasn't exactly handled well on the budget front. The bigger issue was Spacebase DF-9, an Early Access game of theirs. It was still buggy and unfinished when they declared it "complete" due to lack of sustainable funding for it, despite having explicitly stated shortly before that that they were not going to abandon the game and would implement all promised features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Harebrained had their hands full with Shadowrun Returns for a while after release, between weird bugs and adding functionality to the modding framework, but they did get that stuff sorted out despite having a skeleton crew. I wasn't thrilled with Dead Man's Switch, but Dragonfall was really impressive, and I don't doubt that Hong Kong will be as well.

Spacebase DF-9 was a bad idea from the start, like they aimed to be the worst possible Early Access scenario. Essentially having no development income, save what trickles in from EA funding, is seriously loving irresponsible even if you put it up in neon.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Over on the RPG nets, Shannon Appelcline posted an e-mail he got:

quote:

GREG STAFFORD ANNOUNCES NEW OWNERSHIP GROUP FOR CHAOSIUM AT GEN CON
2015 Diana Jones Award Winners Moon Design Publications welcomed as new management team

30 July 2015

GEN CON, Indianapolis - Greg Stafford, founder of the iconic game company Chaosium, used the "Future of Chaosium" seminar at Gen Con today to announce that Moon Design Publications has become part of the Chaosium ownership group.

The Michigan-based Moon Design acquired the rights to Stafford's legendary game setting Glorantha and the game systems RuneQuest and HeroQuest in 2013. It is the publisher of the critically acclaimed Guide to Glorantha, multiple nominee in this year's ENnie Awards, and winner of the 2015 Diana Jones Award for Excellence in Gaming.

Going forward, with Moon Design now part of the Chaosium ownership, Chaosium becomes the licensed publisher for RuneQuest, HeroQuest and other products related to Gloranthan universe, and will continue to publish the famous Call of Cthulhu line.

"I'm really excited to see Glorantha and RuneQuest return to their proper home in Chaosium," said Greg Stafford, "The band is now back together, and we're ready to rock on".

The four principals of Moon Design are the new management team of Chaosium. The new officers of the company are Rick Meints, President and Secretary; Jeff Richard, Vice President and Creative Director; Michael O'Brien, Vice President - Product Development & Community Outreach; and Neil Robinson, Chief Financial Officer.

"Our first priority is leveraging the experience from Moon Design's previous successful Kickstarters to fulfill everything the backers are waiting on for Call of Cthulhu 7th edition, said Rick Meints, new Chaosium President.

Greg Stafford, who founded Chaosium in 1975 and was its original creative force, becomes Chairman of the company's board of directors. Sandy Petersen, whose own involvement with Chaosium began in 1980, continues as a director of the company board, along with Meints, Richard, O'Brien and Robinson.

Chaosium will also continue to work in partnership with Sandy Petersen's Petersen Games, with upcoming releases including the Cthulhu Wars "Onslaught" expansion, and God's War, an epic boardgame set in Glorantha.

"I for one welcome our new Lunar overlords", said Sandy Petersen at the announcement.

For further information please contact:

Gen Con 2015 Chaosium Booth 501

I hope it remains good news in retrospect five years from now. I'm not entirely sure their big baby CoC wouldn't be suffering a continual slide into irrelevance even without financial mismanagement, and it's hard to see Glorantha and HeroQuest helping an ailing company very much.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
Ken Whitman's doubled down on the BS after GenCon (the KoDT episodes preview happened, other people organised a party and got the actors there, which he's now trying to take credit for:

quote:

Hey Everyone,

Seems that on 7/29/15 the Gen Con staff decided to cancel everything except the premieres. So I am sorry we were not there for the extra shows.

I had heard, from the GEN CON staff, that I had a death threat and so they decided to cancel all the extra shows. I was not even allowed to leave the room once I enter it.

Now, we did have a great time, and a great d20E after party. So no matter how nasty some people can get, the show went on to a full room and everyone loved it.

Look forward to getting the finished product done, and out the door!

Stay Classy,
Ken Whitman

----------------------

Dear Ken Whitman (ID: 36559),

FLM1569413 Knights of The Dinner TV Pilot has been changed.

Please review the full details below and contact us immediately if you have any questions about the edits.

Thanks again for submitting events for the show!

Gen Con Events Team

-----------

Canceled

Dear Ken Whitman (ID: 36559),

FLM1569413 Knights of The Dinner TV Pilot has been cancelled.

You are no longer responsible for running it at the show. Space will not be reserved for it and any players who may have already signed up for it will be refunded.

If you have any questions or concerns about why your event was canceled, please let us know.

Thanks,

Gen Con Events Team

While nerd culture has certainly gotten poisonous enough for death threats over a failed kickstarter, it's far more likely this is yet another whitman lie.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

PST posted:

Ken Whitman's doubled down on the BS after GenCon (the KoDT episodes preview happened, other people organised a party and got the actors there, which he's now trying to take credit for:

While nerd culture has certainly gotten poisonous enough for death threats over a failed kickstarter, it's far more likely this is yet another whitman lie.

Death threats over inane things are hardly unique to "nerd culture"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Dr. Tough posted:

Yep.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Dr. Tough posted:

What about incredibly convenient death threats, the kind that stop you from attending something you'd already blown off?

(I think it's more that he's continuing to be a poo poo, although he's probably received threats over it.)

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

moths posted:

What about incredibly convenient death threats, the kind that stop you from attending something you'd already blown off?

(I think it's more that he's continuing to be a poo poo, although he's probably received threats over it.)

While maybe that guy did make up what's happening to him, my point is that people just love to threaten to kill other people over the internet. The guy that shot the lion is getting death threats, people that are mad that the guy that shot the lion are getting death threats, I'm sure that people that are mad that people are mad are getting death threats.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Someone should kill those fuckers.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

Someone should kill those fuckers.
What, humans?

I'm down let's do it.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Zereth posted:

What, humans?

I'm down let's do it.

Glass.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

moths posted:

Not really convenient. Sad as it is almost everyone of his level of fame will receive semi-regular death threats. At least if Harlan Ellison's many many anecdotes about conventions being terrible are anything to go by.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Terrible Opinions posted:

Not really convenient. Sad as it is almost everyone of his level of fame will receive semi-regular death threats. At least if Harlan Ellison's many many anecdotes about conventions being terrible are anything to go by.

Tom Whatsisname isn't even remotely on the same level of fame as Harlan Ellison, and he's precisely the sort of compulsively lying scumbag who would lie about receiving death threats to make himself look better about pulling a no-show when he knows a bunch of people are pissed at him for being a con artist and no doubt want to take him to task. lovely people will send death threats over any dumb thing, but when you're as big of a manipulative rear end in a top hat as this dude is the benefit of the doubt begins to evaporate quickly.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Oh yeah, he's definitely trying to dodge out of taking responsibility. I was just saying that death threats aren't out of the question. Just like everyone with a public persona, especially a really bad one, he needs to deal with it and fulfill obligations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Just like everyone with a public persona, especially a really bad one, he needs to deal with it and fulfill obligations.

Maybe I wasn't totally clear, he'd already blown off the event and cancelled it. A third party organized a replacement for the after-viewing party he'd sold, and rather than appear at this (and face everyone he'd let down), luckily for him there's a threat. And hey you can't argue with a threat right?

I'm not saying people don't make threats. In this case it looks like he pulled the fire alarm to avoid an exam he wasn't ready for. Or someone really did him a favor by threatening him out of an event organized and attended exclusively by people he tried to rip off.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Check the comments of the LAKOTD kickstarter; Jolly pretty much blew up at Whitman a few hours ago and laid out some behind-the-scenes problems.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
I don't want to go digging to find out if it's true because it's too funny not to be:

http://dontfundkenwhitman.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/ken-whitman-tries-to-sell-off-broken.html

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

That's an impressive deal for $10.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I...huh. The R. Tal Site doesn't have anything (But when does it?) But...huh. Witcher tabletop RPG coming.

Based on Fuzion, of all the things.

http://www.vg247.com/2015/07/29/the-witcher-tabeltop-rpg-cyberpunk-2020/

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

unseenlibrarian posted:

I...huh. The R. Tal Site doesn't have anything (But when does it?) But...huh. Witcher tabletop RPG coming.

Based on Fuzion, of all the things.

http://www.vg247.com/2015/07/29/the-witcher-tabeltop-rpg-cyberpunk-2020/
Why is that surprising? The Witcher dudes love Mike Pondsmith.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Holy crap, I'd forgotten all about te Fuzion system. Wasn't the last time it was used in a product back in the late 90's?

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

Holy crap, I'd forgotten all about te Fuzion system. Wasn't the last time it was used in a product back in the late 90's?

I think the most recent Fuzion product (released by R. Talsorian itself) was Cyberpunk v.3 in 2005. And also in 05 a different company used Fuzion to make Artesia.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I'm a big Pondsmith fan, I'm just going "Huh" at _Fuzion_.

Maybe it's popular in Poland?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Evil Mastermind posted:

Check the comments of the LAKOTD kickstarter; Jolly pretty much blew up at Whitman a few hours ago and laid out some behind-the-scenes problems.

Ken Carlson posted:

There's nobody getting you "out of this mess", Mr. Whitman. There. Is. No. Way. Out. There's no industry icons left to e-mail who would do something so foolish. The career of running, then disappearing or finding an investor, and finding a fresh crowd of rubes, it's finally over now, in many ways.

:allears:

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

^^^ Haha, yeah, the TG industry: notoriously unforgiving. Said to the man who's been doing this poo poo for two decades.

Evil Mastermind posted:

To be honest, none of this seems all that behind the scenes after the slow implosion over the past month or so. I feel pretty bad for the backers.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Aug 7, 2015

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Looks like Jolly's wife is politely weighing in on Whitman, now.

Edit: Holy poo poo, gently caress Ken Whitman.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 7, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

unseenlibrarian posted:

I'm a big Pondsmith fan, I'm just going "Huh" at _Fuzion_.

Maybe it's popular in Poland?

CD Projekt RED are developing the CP2020 video game, so it's probably just that everyone involved on both sides is familiar with Fuzion now.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
FUZION had VOTOMS, Bubblegum Crisis, a version of Mekton and a version of Champions.

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 7, 2015

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
If the Witcher Game is using Fuzion...
And Cyberpunk 2020 is using Fuzion...

THAT MEANS CROSSOVERS!

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

To be fair Ciri basically all but says "Watch for my cameo in the cyberpunk game" in one of the conversations with her.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

My mind boggled that R. Tal still exist in any meaningful way. I know Mike's still around, but they've done nothing as a company for 10 years...

Cyberpunk 2030 10th Anniversary Edition, anyone? :v:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I'm still hoping for a tenth ( or eleventh or twelfth or etc...) anniversary Castle Falkenstein :smith:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Holy poo poo not only has Whitman been loving quintupling down in the KotD comments, it looks like he's trying to drag the Zombie Orpheus people (who, as near as I can tell, were just backers in this situation) under the bus with him for some reason.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

DigitalRaven posted:

My mind boggled that R. Tal still exist in any meaningful way. I know Mike's still around, but they've done nothing as a company for 10 years...

Cyberpunk 2030 10th Anniversary Edition, anyone? :v:
I'm glad he is, even in a small role. Fuzion had a lot of issues and the company as a whole got a kind of undeserved bad rap for it since it was the last big thing they did, but Pondsmith has a long history of some incredibly creative and groundbreaking design over decades of RPG history and he's sadly kind of forgotten despite it.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I'm still hoping for a tenth ( or eleventh or twelfth or etc...) anniversary Castle Falkenstein :smith:

In 4 more years, we can hope for a 25th anniversary edition...

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Maybe Ken Whitman is a rogue AI?

Plague of Hats posted:

I'm sorry, but you have to phrase your question in the form of riding an imaginary horse while insulting your opponent.
I have no idea what this means and it was weeks ago but I laughed out loud a lot at it at work and would like you to be lauded.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Quarex posted:

Maybe Ken Whitman is a rogue AI?

I have no idea what this means and it was weeks ago but I laughed out loud a lot at it at work and would like you to be lauded.

The last month in this thread is full of stuff like that. Basically, GW came up with dumber rules for their new game than the rules people here made up in an attempt to make fun of GW.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Dear GW fans: it's not you. It's them.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Dear GW fans: it's not you. It's them.

No it's also the fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Quarex posted:

:v:

GW's plan to get people to dump truckfuls of money on new modelsjoin the glorious new story-focused edition is to make the rules for older models literally embarrassing to use. I still have a hard time believing any of the last month of Warhammer news is not an Onion article.

• Locked thread