Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Paper Mac posted:

So I had kind of a weird kickstarter experience with Up Front, which I backed in January, not knowing much about the company reprinting it other than they'd had prior successful kickstarters. Up Front already exists, basically all they're doing is generating new art assets and reprinting the rules, so I figured there wasn't much chance of it going wrong and plonked down the $120 or whatever it was to get the insane number of expansions they offered as stretch goals.

Turns out that the guys doing the reprinting actually owe some dude in the states 400 grand or something like that, have multiple outstanding judgements against them for the money and have been evading paying them. They had what I assume was the KS money seized in Texas and I figured I was SOL. I wrote Amazon Payments indicating that the Kickstarter hadn't disclosed any risks, when outstanding judgements and ongoing litigation are pretty clearly risks, and AP pretty much told me to gently caress off and take it up with my card issuer if they didn't deliver by the delivery date. Well, money being seized and all, no Up Front has been forthcoming, so I called my CC company after passing the June delivery date and they pretty much instantly gave me a non-delivery chargeback.

I'm really surprised by how easy it was to get my money back on that and I'm wondering why there's been so much hand-wringing over the risks of KS if all it takes is a card chargeback. Does anyone know how this works? Does Amazon Payments now go back and try to recoup the losses from the merchant?

Oof, I'm really glad I decided not to drop a bunch of money on Up Front now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Ettin posted:

Why did they roll with that anyway? I mean is there a reason not to sit the artist down and go "so here's what we asked for, and here's what you did. Can you guess the problem?" other than politeness?

Deadlines, I assume

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

"Star Trek Adventures will use the Modiphius 2d20 game system"

hard pass

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Beyond the Wall is already rife with the dreaded Storygame corruption. It has playbooks!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I enjoy OSR stuff, but the whole exercise in figuring out that community for me ended up being an exercise in deciding which layout I liked best, since the majority of it is basically interchangeable. ACKS is the only one I ended up with in print, because I like Autarch's treatment of the material, especially their expanded kingdom management rules, and (AFAIK) they aren't toxic people. Other than that I just steal liberally from Kevin Crawford, his sandbox stuff is incredibly well done.

I do wish there was more weird stuff out there. The last really fun setting/adventure thing I looked at was probably Slumbering Ursine Dunes.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Libertad! posted:

ACKS author Alexander Macris was a GamerGate supporter too, helped inject the "Cultural Marxism" thing into said movement, and the Escapist forums were a huge gathering spot at the place before eventually moving on to Kotaku in Action and 8chan.

Oh. Good.

So, uh, I guess I'll just play Godbound then

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

It's a MYSTERY

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Edge of the Empire is cool and good and fun to play

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Everyone should buy Chaos in the Old World ASAP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

dwarf74 posted:

I don't get what's such a big deal about properly disclosing affiliate links other than stubbornness. Morrus was snarky about it in a post about the Middle Earth 5e Guide, too. - it was a different post, and maybe wasn't as snarky?

DTRPG, by the by, does some creepy stuff with their affiliate links. If you follow one of their affiliate links, close the webpage, and then buy the product later in a different session, the affiliate relationship is nevertheless maintained for a time (2 weeks, I think). Check your cookies; you can find the affiliate relationship maintained there. I don't know if this is standard practice or not, but it feels vaguely invasive.

Amazon affiliate links are pretty similar, I think they last a day.

• Locked thread