Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

It's not a store, it's just a place where you can order very specific things, pay a specific price, pay for shipping and then have the items delivered to you. Then if they don't deliver them, you call them thieves and scam artists.
So it's nothing like a store, because

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

So it's a lovely store, is what you're saying.

I won't argue semantics with you and I get what you're saying. But if it's pretty much used like a store or at least a preorder service, that's how I see it. If White Wolf stiffs you out of 100$, maybe you have no legal recourse because of Kickstarter's TOS, but you sure as gently caress not going to give White Wolf any more of your money in the future.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Arguably, you could pre-order a game from a store and have the store declare bankruptcy before you get your game.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It's giving a man money and a man sending you a game. You did not buy a game. The two are not the same thing, despite having the same end result.

That's the definition of ''buying.''

edit:
It's as if there was a mall somewhere where there were signs everywhere that said ''This is not a store''. You go in and give someone money and the owner can choose between giving you what you paid for or running away with your cash. I'd still call that a store. A terrible store, yeah, but still a store.

ravenkult fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Apr 5, 2013

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

There's plenty of cases where a Kickstarter project is already finished and the money goes for extras or for print costs. That's basically a pre-order. When you preorder a videogame, it's not like the DVD is behind the counter, the game might not even be finished yet and it sure ain't produced, but they will take your money and you can wait 'till it comes out to get the physical thing in your hands.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

It's not really that different from any other Kickstarter. Evil Hat doesn't ''need'' money to publish Fate Core.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

jivjov posted:

Yes, because printing, binding, and shipping is free for them, apparently.

I'm sure there are some base costs involved in making those tiles.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

jivjov posted:

I don't really care to continue a discussion here, as its not worth a probation or ban if I say something the moderators interpret badly. If you would like to continue a discussion on the topic (Preferably without dragging personal insults into the mix) could we please do it via PM?

Your posts make me sad.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

The thing I don't get about kpfs is that it's supposed to be a parody/criticism of murderhobo games like any White Wolf game ever, yet when reading actual plays about it or reviews, they gush about how funny and/or fun the game was and what genius game design is involved.

Doesn't that invalidate the whole ''criticism'' angle? If kpfs is fun and good game design, then every White Wolf game is fun and good game design. Unless you want to claim you're playing it ''ironically'', in which case you're an idiot. It's not like you play Werewolf and think ''gee, I really am a werewolf and I'm taking this game super seriously guys.''

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

MONTE COOK'S WORLD OF DARKNESS (sucked).

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Man, what a lovely thing to say. Like Skarka is a loving rockstar RPG designer. Truly, the King of the Nerds, writing poo poo in your underwear at home.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

David Hill is good people. He's doing work for the new Demon and publishes his own stuff too. Really nice guy.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Gasperkun posted:

story-games.com (which he publicly announced today (the 20th) he will no longer head up due to life changes).

That can't be good.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Can't be good about Story Games I mean. It's an oasis of logic in a desert of lovely forums.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Rulebook Heavily posted:

I'm not trying to be inflammatory when I say this, but the way GMS has been treading here reminds me rather sharply of a certain other infamous tradgames publisher. Notably, the inability to take criticism, and the ever-sliding release dates (on top of missing material), combined with - has to be said - an absolutely colossal ego and inflated sense of his own capabilities and importance.

I loved that saga for the RPG.NET peanut gallery. ''There's nothing wrong with Paladium! You're making stuff up!''

Yeah, that's why it's such a wildly successful company.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Wow. I should have known how far down the rabbit hole it goes, but wow. Someone wants to take him to task for his choice of editing software before learning that there's a free PDF of the game. A bunch of people try to interrogate him to establish that he's part of the Rebel Alliance, and a spy. Tarnowski tries to debate LaTorra about a game he admits he hasn't actually read, and asks LaTorra to disprove his assumptions about the game by reading it to him, piece-by-piece.

It's one thing to meet people like that when you're 15, it's a whole other when you realize these are grown men arguing about whether DW is an RPG or not and just crying to themselves ''B-b-b-but it's trying to be OSR when it's n-n-n-nooooot.''

Jesus Christ.

edit:

''OK. I got to tell you something. I think you are a smart guy. I think you created with Dungeon World a very finely tuned game, a good game, for what it is: a story game. So either you have no idea and are a totally blind follower joining in the lol-band on twitter when it comes to laugh at people like us, so you are basically a brain-dead moron who has no idea what he's laughing at in the first place, a loser, who just happened to come up with this really good Forge design by pure chance, OR you actually are disingenuous here and know exactly what I'm talking about, and actually came up with a really tight design knowing what you were doing. ''

WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE

ravenkult fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Nov 22, 2013

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Libertad! posted:

So my question is, why is whistleblowing so pariah-worthy in the table-top industry?

Because everyone is a huge loving nerd and they can't take criticism. At least in my experience, even the slightest comment will make them circle the wagons and call on anyone and everyone who will support them, to try and shut you up by pretending you're the one who is being unprofessional and a bully.

I sometimes wish I was a cold enough rear end in a top hat to just write down all the dumb, petty poo poo I know and just put it up on a website.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Take Bill Coffin, for example, who revealed a lot of unkind facts regard Kevin Siembieda's running of Palladium, which seemed pretty clearly done out of anger, and it severely damaged his reputation as a result.

And this is how assholes protect themselves. Why the hell would Bill's reputation be damaged, unless you are a terrible person yourself? (I don't mean you, Alien Rope Burn.)
''Oh man, I better not hire Bill, he'll me out me on all the terrible poo poo that I do!''

ravenkult fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Nov 28, 2013

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

That's not always the case though. Lots of times you go unpaid and see a company keep churning out product and post on social media, while your emails go unanswered.

My pet peeve as a freelancer is when people hire you and then never follow up. When you eventually contact them, they go ''Oh you didn't do the work on time, the book is ready now so I don't need it anymore.''

Yeah, it's not my failing that you didn't care enough to ask for the work before going to print, rear end in a top hat.

ravenkult fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 28, 2013

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I don't know if it's fair, but it's for sure dumb as poo poo. You'd have to be one petty motherfucker to hire people based on that.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

Some people really do just want "exposure" or want to have a sourcebook with their name on it and are willing to do work for that with monetary compensation being a bonus (but as with most things you tend to get what you pay for).

No professional writer/artist is willing to work for exposure. Which means that if someone is, they're probably a poo poo writer.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

clockworkjoe posted:

For the record, Arc Dream and Posthuman Studios are great about paying on time.

Arc Dream jerked me around for 6 months a few years back, eventually responding to my emails and telling me they chose a different artist. Of course at the time they had OK'd multiple revisions of a cover, but I guess that doesn't count.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

RPGBrainTrust is a fb group for industry professionals.

Anyway, loving Defiance is hilarious.

ravenkult fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 24, 2014

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I'm sorry to say this, but it's likely to be poo poo.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Ettin posted:

Also who starts their art budget at $400 for all that poo poo? If you're asking someone to associate with one of the saddest men in gaming the least you can do is not rip them off. :colbert:

That's like big money for indie RPG industry standards, haha.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

moths posted:

Start up TG Tattler on Twitter. Spill everything anonymously.

E: Stickyleaks

Yeah, do this.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

MalcolmSheppard posted:

You have to understand that 90% of industry horror stories are one man bands operating at a loss not paying somebody who would not get work were there not said one man bands.

90% of the industry is one man bands, so that's not saying much.

ravenkult fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 21, 2014

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I'm mostly out of the RPG freelancing arena because I priced myself out of it at 300$ for a cover or 200$ for full page interiors. That's how small the industry is.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

FMguru posted:

One of the traditional escape hatches for RPG writers is to move up to genre fiction writing (Mike Stackpole and Aaron Allston both did this, among others). Genre fiction pays like rear end (unless you're the next J.K. Rowling or Stephanie Myers or Suzanne Collins) so it really says something about pay rates in RPGs that writing midlist SF and fantasy and franchise novels is a big step up in terms of compensation.

I do book covers now and I consistently get 300-500$ per cover.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I don't know why you guys are getting confused. The problem isn't with the per-word payment model, it's with the amount. Yeah, so it's more like technical writing, but if you price it accordingly it works perfectly well.
Now a system conversion is different, but it's not really a writing project is it? If you don't write any of the fluff you're just converting stats.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Bucnasti posted:

Do you have a portfolio I could check out?
My current art needs have already been commissioned but I'm going to need more down the road and I'd rather give my money to a goon than some random artist I find on DA.

https://www.ravenkult.com
Mikan can probably vouch for me, unless he hates me now!

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Saeku posted:

Ravenkult's work on Don't Rest Your Head/Don't Lose Your Mind is my personal all-time favorite RPG art. The man does beautiful things in greyscale.

Thanks man. Just because most people probably haven't seen these, here's the French and Italian translations of DRYH that also hired me for their releases.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Wait, why the gently caress is Mikan banned.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Nobody tells me nuthin'

Anyway, Mikan is cool. In 10 years doing this, he's the first client to tell me ''Hey, let's put a female POC on the cover of this game about battling huge alien bugs.''

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Succubus chat:

You're ignoring centuries worth of folk tales that predate Christianity, such as the Scandinavia Hulder.

''In some traditions, the hulder lures men into the forest to have sexual intercourse with her, rewarding those who satisfy her and often killing those who do not. The Norwegian hulder is a lot less bloodthirsty and may simply kidnap a man or lure him into the underworld.''

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I like this thread and wish I could dish all the bullshit I've heard over the years, but then no one would ever hire me again, ever.

So what I'm saying is, please talk some poo poo about the TG industry.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I made a heartbreaker in high school and pitched it to a couple of companies. I wish I had those emails, because they were hilarious. I even included the boilerplate ''Original idea, do not steal.'' The couple of them that responded were pretty nice about it, the only burn they delivered was that my RPG title ''Brave New World'' might be problematic due to trademarks.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I'm just impressed that's the only thing they criticized in a 2000 word pitch document that was basically ''It's a post apocalyptic world but with fantasy races, like D&D but better!!!''

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

You have to be a special kind of idiot to take Vikernes seriously. I mean besides the racist poo poo, he's literally an idiot and crazy to boot.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

And bomb Serbia.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

nWOD is great. The Werewolf one anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Apparently there's traced art in the Exalted book. :monocle:

People falling over themselves over at rpg.net (including industry professionals) to explain why this is not bad and not illegal and actually unavoidable.
There's a reason this industry is a joke.

• Locked thread