Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.

Everything is ordinary.

Ok so here's the lowdown.

I am overweight, I have ALWAYS been overweight, and for the most part I haven't been that bothered with it. I come from a family of "thick people" (I'm the first person in 3 generations who hasn't played rugby, boxed or both).
I'm roughly 290lbs, but I have always worn it well. I've never had a double chin or anything other than slight mantits, I can still fit in an XL shirt in a pinch. I'm not trying to justify anything here just set the scene. Now I have always been a very sedentary person, but I have countered this by eating will and not very often. This is not through starvation or anything, I am one of those people where if I'm not being directly offered food or attending some sort of meal, it just won't occur to me to eat, I'm usually working on something else.

Now on the whole I would like to get thin eventually, but I have a whole rainbow of mental problems I need to wade through first before I can sort out the physical ones etc etc, but that certainly doesn't mean that I can't ask some questions.

Why now you ask?

Simple.

Crotch Fat. I have recently had a good friend from Canada come over to stay with me for 2 weeks, in my eagerness to show him round I have essentially been eating 3 meals a day and eating some very unhealthy poo poo whether that is as a result of going out drinking or showing him local delicacies. Now 2 weeks later it is patently obvious to be that in a short time period I have gained a lot of weight and I've gone from "Whatever" fat to "Ew" fat. Specifically I noticed that when I went to pee I can crotch chub, I have never had this in my life. This will not stand.

So I decided that while I passively starve myself back to my starting weight I can also look into fixing the other half of my lifestyle which is of course, physical activity, but alas there is the spanner in the works!

Why didn't you post this in the general exercise thread?

Simple, without wanting to sound like a special snowflake, I wouldn't consider this general, it's a little bit fitness cabin, a little bit goon doctor and a whole heap of I have no loving idea. If you think this is pretentious please feel free to call me on my shitposting and I will close the thread and probably get probated for my troubles .

Why Sex_Robot? Why Can't you just move your fat rear end and exercise?

In simplest terms, I am a thoroughly damaged model, through many events, accidents and other poo poo, mostly as a result of epileptic seizures I have the following problems:

• I can't lift either of my arms safely higher than my shoulder height because they both have a habit of dislocating
  • I can't put my shoulders out at angles for the same reason
  • I fractured my spine and still suffer from a weak core and have to walk with a stick if walking for any period of time
  • My hip will pop out of joint for extended periods and my foot faces the wrong way which makes me trip over myself
  • My medications can cause spontaneous potassium deficiencies which can make my feet curl up like talons while I sleep making me unable to walk for days at a time until this atomic cramp has gone

So yeah, 5 things, but between them they rule out the majority of easily accessible physical fitness stuff such as jogging or press-ups/sit-ups/pull-ups, lifting is pretty out (I used to love lifting ).
I can't afford to join a gym and have a trainer craft me something that will trim the lard without crippling me further so I am pretty much at a cul-de-sac in my plans. Is there something I can do? Or should I just resign myself to a gut for eternity? Maybe I can grow a neckbeard while I'm at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

If you have insurance I would think the combination of shoulder and walking issues would qualify you for occupational therapy. I think those are both issues you could work through. Losing weight would help a lot with the walking too.

You could probably lose 50-80 pounds just through diet alone, and add physical exercise gradually. (Gradually) building shoulder strength will help prevent dislocations, the muscles are really what holds that joint in place. But I think a professional may be needed to assess things fully and advise.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

evensevenone posted:

If you have insurance I would think the combination of shoulder and walking issues would qualify you for occupational therapy. I think those are both issues you could work through. Losing weight would help a lot with the walking too.

You could probably lose 50-80 pounds just through diet alone, and add physical exercise gradually. (Gradually) building shoulder strength will help prevent dislocations, the muscles are really what holds that joint in place. But I think a professional may be needed to assess things fully and advise.

I'm not overtly concerned about my diet, infact the last to weeks hosting my friend have confirmed to me that my diet is the only thing that had stopped me being some sort of rascal riding blob, the moment I stopped controlling my intake in the name of showing a guest a good time my weight skyrocketed. As for FIXING the problems with my shoulders/hips etc etc I am sort of in a catch 22 situation in that because all these injuries (besides the fracture) were caused under my own strength while seizuring, I had surgery on one of my arms to tighten all the ligaments up, but I had a seizure 5 1/2 months later and it completely nullified the operation. If it wasn't for the 6 inch scar you wouldn't know I'd had the surgery . Sadly these injuries are not something I can negate, merely work around, hence my sheer confusion on where to start.

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005

You're over 290lbs and not concerned about your diet? You gained weight when your friend visited, but you got to 290lbs all on your own.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

ATP5G1 posted:

You're over 290lbs and not concerned about your diet? You gained weight when your friend visited, but you got to 290lbs all on your own.

For the sake of moving this along, although I doubt you will believe me find enclosed an average "none guest" day

Breakfast: Cheerio's/Semi-Skimmed Milk

Lunch: Usually nothing, if something; then it will be something like one of the following
  • Some homous and wholegrain bread
  • Cheese on toast
  • Bowl of Cheerio's/Semi-Skimmed Milk
  • Ramen
  • Omlette

Dinner: I like to cook and live with 2 other guys that like to cook. Recent meals have included
  • "proper" Lasagne (Ergo not smothered in cheese sauce)
  • Stir-fried chicken and Bell Peppers with oyster sauce
  • Pork and Apple Pie with boiled potatoes
  • Green Thai curry with Brown Rice
  • Gem lettuce burrito's with a big ol' bowl of chilli
  • Naan Bread cheeseless pizza's with hot sauce

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Ok first of all you need to talk to a doctor and a physical therapist about all of this. If you truly are eating what you say you are eating, you may have some sort of endocrine system problem, the vast majority of which can be solved with medications. With your level of orthopedic problems nobody in their right mind can give you real advice over the internet and expect it to not run afoul of your bodies limitation in some way. That being said, the best thing I can suggest is that you need to start with the lowest of low impact exercises, perhaps a stationary recumbent bicycle. Go to one of the many available calorie counting apps/websites and start tracking your daily caloric intake, then try to make small substitutions that will reduce it. What you eat is not nearly as big an issue as portion control, it looks like.

chemical_combat
Aug 21, 2003

Tell me your wish -- Take me to the moon!

Also looks like you eat a butt ton of carbohydrates, which are great for an energy source if you have physically demanding tasks to accomplish, but not great if you are barely moving, your body just shunts the majority of it into your pubic mound for pubic mound fat, and the rest goes into your love handles and buttox.

Try to portion control your carbs and stick to lean meats and primarily green/non-starchy vegetables and see if that helps with your weight loss goals. With your ailments physical strength training like weightlifting may be difficult, but even if you just get up and walk around or fidget or lift soup cans repeatedly, or whatever you can do to get your body comfortably moving within your physical confines will help. If you literally just get up and jitter around for 30 minutes you will burn more fuel than if you just sat in your computer chair.

Best wishes, and god bless. Allmen.

Lego Stormtrooper
Jul 29, 2008

I'm no doctor or trained in any kind of medicine or physical activity, but I skimmed the book and I would recommend Starting Strength.

What you need is a healthy diet of really heavy deadlifts and squats. That'll fix that back right up.

I also read a really good blog about paleo eating and think you should try that. Just eat 100% natural foods like meat, meat, meat and Oni 100% whey protein mixed with creatine. Natural.

chemical_combat
Aug 21, 2003

Tell me your wish -- Take me to the moon!

Your advice is literally terrible.

Tots
Sep 2, 2007

Lego Stormtrooper posted:

I'm no doctor or trained in any kind of medicine or physical activity, but I skimmed the book and I would recommend Starting Strength.

What you need is a healthy diet of really heavy deadlifts and squats. That'll fix that back right up.

I also read a really good blog about paleo eating and think you should try that. Just eat 100% natural foods like meat, meat, meat and Oni 100% whey protein mixed with creatine. Natural.

This guy is fucktarded and OP, you are also partially fucktarded. I'm calling bullshit on the diet, but if I'm wrong then see a doc.

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

His diet isn't bullshit if his portion sizes are enormous. OP, you really need to count up every single calorie you put into your food and log it. That current diet looks like the 1500-2000kcal range but you're going to need to verify that objectively yourself (this is of course assuming that is literally all you eat). If your diet is truly in that range then you need to see a professional, not the forums.

Miguel Angel Face
Apr 1, 2012
I AM THE GHOST OF DON BRASH FROM 2005, IF YOU DON'T SAY "ONE LAW FOR ALL" FIVE TIMES IN THE MIRROR I'LL COME INTO YOUR THREAD TONIGHT AND SPOUT RACIST DOGWHISTLES FOR TWENTY PAGES

Get some comfortable shoes OP.

And start walking. One foot in front of the other.

You don't need fancy equipment to lose weight. You need comfortable shoes and the will to move yourself forward.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

I'll bet my there is some missing information here. Either you are eating phenominal portion sizes or your washing all that down with lots of beer or sugary drinks. If you want to burn calories litterally doing nothing you can turn your heating off and your body will use a fair bit of energy just keeping you warm. That isn't going to solve your problems though.

To state the blindingly obvious, its just thermodynamics; Energy Out < Energy In = you gain weight. Either you find a way of exercising you enjoy or you dramatically cut your calorie intake. Realistically it is going to have to be both.

OBAMA BIN LinkedIn posted:

If your diet is truly in that range then you need to see a professional, not the forums.

Going to have to empty quote that as it really is the best advice your going to get. If your actually being honest with yourself and us about your diet you need professional help as something is very wrong (which strikes me as unlikely given Thermodynamics). The 2000 calorie guideline will mean you maintain weight with little to no exercise. Your body uses most of that every day just to stay alive. If you get much below 1600 calories you literally start starving to death (allough it will take a very long time)

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Count your calories if you aren't already. If you eat at a deficit you will lose weight over the long run. Exercise helps, but is not necessary.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

I really don't want to turn this into a back and forth thread of me relating what I'm eating and you calling me a liar. My physical fuckups are going to be permenant repercussions and are not something I can fix will be able to negate. This is something I am going to have to work with for the foreseeable future. Even something like jogging isn't going to work, After 100 yards I'm usually down to a walking stick fueled hobble.

chemical_combat posted:

With your ailments physical strength training like weightlifting may be difficult, but even if you just get up and walk around or fidget or lift soup cans repeatedly, or whatever you can do to get your body comfortably moving within your physical confines will help. If you literally just get up and jitter around for 30 minutes you will burn more fuel than if you just sat in your computer chair.

This is the closest thing to relevant in this thread so far thankyou.

Fake Edit: Things I have consumed so far, today as of 12:33PM today

• 400ml of Orange & Grapefruit Juice

Miguel Angel Face
Apr 1, 2012
I AM THE GHOST OF DON BRASH FROM 2005, IF YOU DON'T SAY "ONE LAW FOR ALL" FIVE TIMES IN THE MIRROR I'LL COME INTO YOUR THREAD TONIGHT AND SPOUT RACIST DOGWHISTLES FOR TWENTY PAGES

Sex Robot posted:

I really don't want to turn this into a back and forth thread of me relating what I'm eating and you calling me a liar. My physical fuckups are going to be permenant repercussions and are not something I can fix will be able to negate. This is something I am going to have to work with for the foreseeable future. Even something like jogging isn't going to work, After 100 yards I'm usually down to a walking stick fueled hobble.]

Jogging would be counter-productive at this stage.

So just walk. One step in front of the other.

Lars Krimi
Jul 1, 2003

Sex Robot posted:

I really don't want to turn this into a back and forth thread of me relating what I'm eating and you calling me a liar. My physical fuckups are going to be permenant repercussions and are not something I can fix will be able to negate. This is something I am going to have to work with for the foreseeable future. Even something like jogging isn't going to work, After 100 yards I'm usually down to a walking stick fueled hobble.

I don't think that (most) people are trying to say that you are lying, just that you may not be aware of how many calories you actually take in. This is perfectly normal, and many people greatly underestimate their actual intake. For example, orange juice can contain a huge amount of calories from sugar and has very little nutritional value.

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

What you are eating is the most important thing here. That alone is going to determine whether anyone here can give you useful advice. There are people here who will call you a liar or w/e because quite frankly, the diet you posted is not one that believably causes obesity unless the portions are oversized. The best thing you can do is record your calories as precisely as you can and give us that figure, not a vague idea of what you ate.

Palpatine MD
Jan 31, 2012

Passionate about your involuntary euthanasia.

Sex Robot posted:

Juice typically contains as much, if not more, sugar than soda. Furthermore, while it retains much of the flavors and vitamins of fruit, it lacks proper fibers.

Stop drinking juice.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

If you can't jog, walk. If you can't walk very far, don't. Start with 5 minutes a day. Try and bump it to 10.

The shoulder issue can probably be helped through rehab.

But seriously the biggest thing is diet. You haven't told us your height or you actual calorie intake or what your goal here actually is, but unless you are 7'2", 290 is probably pretty extremely obese and it certainly isn't helping your mobility issues.

kylej
Jul 5, 2004

Eat less poo poo and walk for an hour a day.

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.

Sex Robot posted:

I really don't want to turn this into a back and forth thread of me relating what I'm eating and you calling me a liar.

What you ate today, or yesterday, or whenever you happen to remember to log it, doesn't really matter. Even eating "healthy" types of food doesn't really matter. If what you want is weight loss, what matters is consistently logging it in a quantitative way (i.e. using a kitchen scale and actual calorie information) over a long period of time.

Buy a kitchen scale. Weigh and log everything. If you aren't willing to do that, you aren't serious about wanting to lose weight. Nobody here cares if you're being honest with them, they're trying to get you to be honest with yourself. As other people have said, if you were to actually count calories and not lose weight at what should be a good deficit, you should talk to a doctor.

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

Also keep in mind that you are not the first person in history, let alone the forums, to claim that their diet is in check and they are just fat because of their genetics. There are hundreds of posters here who have dropped literally hundreds of pounds through diet alone, despite blaming it on 'genetics' their entire lives up until that point. Read the ultimate transformation thread, and more specifically this goddamn post, if you want some prime examples of this.

Unless you have something seriously wrong with your body that probably less than 0.01% of the population has, then your diet alone is the culprit of your weight gain. Once you accept this, it will be something that the people here can help you overcome. If you are that 0.01% however and you are actually eating at a significant calorie deficit, this forum can't help you anyway and you should go see doc.

tl;dr COUNT YOUR CALORIES

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Sex Robot posted:

I'm not overtly concerned about my diet

I am. You seem to have it in your head that because you don't think to eat and you don't eat a lot that that is what makes your diet ok. You need to be eating small meals, more often. If you skip meals, your body just adjusts to that and your metabolism is going to plummet accordingly which is probably a huge reason why you've gained weight despite not eating an utterly horrible diet. I'd recommend eating at least 5 times a day, whether it's a snack or an actual meal. Protein shakes make for a great and healthy snack and would really help the lack of protein in your diet in general. You don't need to be lifting weights for protein shakes to be beneficial. Mostly though, stop skipping meals, it's really detrimental to weight loss in the long run.

As far as exercise goes, have you ever tried anything low impact like a stationary bike?

Plafop
Oct 11, 2012
I don't know what is wrong with me but my parents do cry a lot

Yup absolutely, you have to keep that metabolism fire stoked or you'll go into starvation mode. Have you tried chip butties every few hours?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Melting.

rockcity posted:

I am. You seem to have it in your head that because you don't think to eat and you don't eat a lot that that is what makes your diet ok. You need to be eating small meals, more often. If you skip meals, your body just adjusts to that and your metabolism is going to plummet accordingly which is probably a huge reason why you've gained weight despite not eating an utterly horrible diet. I'd recommend eating at least 5 times a day, whether it's a snack or an actual meal. Protein shakes make for a great and healthy snack and would really help the lack of protein in your diet in general. You don't need to be lifting weights for protein shakes to be beneficial. Mostly though, stop skipping meals, it's really detrimental to weight loss in the long run.

As far as exercise goes, have you ever tried anything low impact like a stationary bike?

You're getting your internet bro-science from 2007 confused with modern internet bro-science. Currently you're supposed to recommend eating one meal a day.

OBAMA BIN LinkedIn posted:

His diet isn't bullshit if his portion sizes are enormous. OP, you really need to count up every single calorie you put into your food and log it. That current diet looks like the 1500-2000kcal range but you're going to need to verify that objectively yourself (this is of course assuming that is literally all you eat). If your diet is truly in that range then you need to see a professional, not the forums.

I'd put my money in that being his average diet but he has a "few weeks where he just lets go" (like the last few weeks) happen more often than he thinks.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

rockcity posted:

Where did you learn this crap? Youtube comments?

Calorie counting advice from other people in this thread is spot on. Rockcity will be telling you to take creatine next because it turns fat to water (it doesn't but it sure is bro-science)

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Melting.

jiggerypokery posted:

Probably from the old W&W forums.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Vomik posted:

Probably from the old W&W forums.

In that case I am glad I don't have archives!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Don't you want it?
Don't you WANT IT?!

I'm 100% positive he has no idea how much he's really eating. He even said he isn't concerned about it.

He also laid out in the OP that he has a predetermined excuse (even if they are legit) for any suggestion that will be made.

No offense dude but it seems like you just want to lose weight without really doing much.

Edit - That sounds a bit mean, but you said in your OP that you can't even walk. Since you have so many physical problems maybe going to a physical therapist would be a good, or only, option.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Sex Robot posted:

For the sake of moving this along, although I doubt you will believe me find enclosed an average "none guest" day

Breakfast: Cheerio's/Semi-Skimmed Milk

Lunch: Usually nothing, if something; then it will be something like one of the following
  • Some homous and wholegrain bread
  • Cheese on toast
  • Bowl of Cheerio's/Semi-Skimmed Milk
  • Ramen
  • Omlette

Dinner: I like to cook and live with 2 other guys that like to cook. Recent meals have included
  • "proper" Lasagne (Ergo not smothered in cheese sauce)
  • Stir-fried chicken and Bell Peppers with oyster sauce
  • Pork and Apple Pie with boiled potatoes
  • Green Thai curry with Brown Rice
  • Gem lettuce burrito's with a big ol' bowl of chilli
  • Naan Bread cheeseless pizza's with hot sauce

Come on over to GWS and ask around for some healthy, tasty recipes. Your food isn't "bad" but if you want to lose weight you'll have to actually change it up. You also don't mention portion sizes which play a huge role.

- What goes into your omlette? Just plain? Cheese? How much? Bacon? Ham? How many eggs? Is it cooked in butter?
- Lasagna is loving delicious, but if you're loading it up with meat and italian cheeses it's going to be substantial.
- Stop eating apple pie
- A "big ol' bowl of chili" isn't going to help you lose weight
- Naan bread is delicious, it's also not good for you if you're inactive.

Also drink water, not juice.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

If you're incapable or unwilling of exercising or dieting or doing anything at all why the hell are you here?

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448

If this dude can get in shape, I'm positive the OP can too.

Zombie Souffle
Feb 3, 2010

I am not a doctor, but the fact that you have a seizure disorder that managed to completely destroy the surgical repair of your shoulder is concerning. I know you said you are medicated but if you are having breakthrough seizures like that then you should probably see about having your medications reviewed and tweaked. The potassium issue is a big red flag as well. Why are you not being given replacement therapy if it depletes your system to the point it cripples you?

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

I can help you lose weight. First, you need to modify your diet as follows:

Sex Robot posted:

Breakfast: Cheerio's/Semi-Skimmed Milk Oats

• Some homous and wholegrain bread Oats
  • Cheese on toast Oats
  • Bowl of Cheerio's/Semi-Skimmed Milk Oats
  • Ramen Oats
  • Omlette Oats

• "proper" Lasagne (Ergo not smothered in cheese sauce) Oats
  • Stir-fried chicken and Bell Peppers with oyster sauce Oats
  • Pork and Apple Pie with boiled potatoes Oats
  • Green Thai curry with Brown Rice Oats
  • Gem lettuce burrito's with a big ol' bowl of chilli Oats
  • Naan Bread cheeseless pizza's with hot sauce Oats

You are clearly eating too many things which are not oats, and not enough things that are oats.

Secondly, you need to poop more. Everything that comes out your butt is things that aren't on your gut. To wit you will no longer drink water or juice or other things. You will drink coffee. Black. No milk, cream, or sugar.

Oats and coffee.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

jiggerypokery posted:

Calorie counting advice from other people in this thread is spot on. Rockcity will be telling you to take creatine next because it turns fat to water (it doesn't but it sure is bro-science)

Sure calorie counting is going to be the most important thing. As for the eating more often thing, I know that it's debatable whether or not it really helps, but skipping meals typically leads to larger portions later and your blood sugar is likely going to drop and your body isn't going to treat that meal the same, especially if it's larger than it should be. What I've gleaned in my nutrition experience is largely from my family of three doctors, a nutritionist and physical therapist. I guess that's broscience now? I have no evidence for it, but I feel way more motivated to exercise when I eat more regularly as well and to me it's easier to monitor what you eat and how much if you spread it out.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Do not turn this thread into a meal frequency argument, please.

carnassials
Jan 5, 2013

Your lunch options are mostly horrendous and the fact that you drink juice and did not bother to mention it leads me to believe you are snacking between meals. You need to be concerned with diet you weigh 290 lbs. That did not just happen from not working out.

ObesePriest
Nov 4, 2008

Trust me bro, my uncle works at Nintendo with over 20 years of expenience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

Shine posted:

Do not turn this thread into a meal frequency argument, please.

This thread isn't mine anymore. I suppose I need to stop huffing lard coated quarter pounders and learn moderation before I can even think of asking about exercise tips from the forums.

Thankyou YLLS, thankyou for saving me from myself

«2 »