Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emerald Rogue
Mar 29, 2013
Noise

Vavrek posted:

Snipey

::About this plan. We just shooting everybody? Their leader might have intel worth getting out of his head. Don't get me wrong. Shooting everybody sounds great.::

Snipey calmly unslings his rifle and considers the situation.

::You know, Hacker, if you looped the cameras and cut the door alarm, I could take out those first two guys without the others noticing. Just a thought.::

::Name's Noise, friend, and I've been a a little busy! We shouldn't need to do anything with the doors - Kale gave us those passcodes. I'll see what I can do with the cameras.::

Now that you've cleaned up your mess, Nicky, let's see what sort of trouble we can get into. Find the cameras, splice some old footage in ... make sure the guard is down, include some happy little bird noises,some happy trees ... oooh, don't forget the time stamp! That's what almost spoiled that mall job back on the Golden Mile! So embarrassing.

::Right, external cameras are showing an empty lot and the usual happy birds and plants. We ready to move up to the building?::

Which two guys are you talking about? The grunts in that first room, across from the open door? Since we have a door passcode, I could come in the same way Natalya did and roll around the other side of the building to hit them from behind.

Let's go ahead and Edit in a nice, innocuous loop of the relevant external cameras, complete with appropriate, non-looping time stamps. Once it's in place, I'll expend a Simple Action to keep it going until it's go time.
Computer 4 + Edit 5 = Edit external camera feeds: 9d6t5 5 successes

children overboard posted:

Noise slides into VR. Your system's metaphor struggles against the node's reality filter. Glitches start to appear.

No... you can't... ack!

The node's filter dominates. You feel a little sluggish in this new world as you try to create the new account, but you manage to rig together something pretty low profile.

A second later you're following the leader's transmission to his commlink. Analysing his node gives you his access ID.

Back in the node, you log off just as the security account reappears with an attack program in tow. Looks like they haven't spotted your new account.

In the real world, Noise and Nail move forward. They can't see the spirit now that it's back on the other plane, but can feel its cool otherworldly breath circulating around them and (hopefully) hiding them from enemy eyes.

I'd like to approach the building to get ready to rush the front room with Snipey, but that one guard is watching the parking lot even if I am being concealed by the tengu and editing the exterior cameras. I guess the best way to approach is around back, through the hole Natalya cut in the fence? Do we have that much time?

OOC: I remembered what guardian lions are actually called! For future reference, Noise's twin lion icon is actually a pair of shishi, rendered in an automaton-like style.

Emerald Rogue fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
If we're tossing out suggestions, since Noise can not flip the window polarization (I'm assuming), that means that when it came time for the shooting to start he could do that and Snipey could try and take out the two barricaded behind the table on the ground floor through the window...there's enough of an angle on them that it looks like he'd have the shot.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Kai Tave posted:

If we're tossing out suggestions, since Noise can not flip the window polarization (I'm assuming),

Whereas I'm assuming that's the counterinsurgency polarization setting.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
And I'm assuming we won't need to worry about it.

Snipey

To Noise:
::Make sure the cameras see Mr. Coll and Stormcrow. Reporters aren't invisible.::

Snipey taps his fingers softly, silently, on his rifle. Two in the front room, dead. Two in the back room, alive. Three upstairs, dead. Four upstairs, alive. He begins to move to the western door. Infiltration (moving to west door): 14d6t5 6

To group:
::Plan of attack. Once we're ready to secure the second floor, Mr. Coll and Stormcrow can start the interview. I go in the west door. No problem there. First floor secured, second floor secured. Noise, could tasering a guy short his biomonitor?::

A chance to show off Snipey's Combat Tactics knowledge! His 'I could totally kill those two guys, no sweat, just a thought' comment wasn't meant to be taken so seriously, but it was a good starting point.

Question: I'm a little unfamiliar with day-to-day shadowrun life and don't want to be tripped up by a small detail. Opening that door with a passcode just amounts to thinking at it (go go implant commlink) and having it open, right? Snipey's not taking his hands off his rifle.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Nail

With Vinnie doing his thing, whatever that thing was, Nail nudges Noise, "I think it's time for us to get into position. The spirit should hide us."

I'm ready to move in. I don't know if I have to roll anything with the spirit doing it's thing, but I've got 12 dice for infiltration if needed.

As far as the passkeys to get in, I know both maglocks with a card and just the standard number pad types exist. I'm sure there are many other types out there too.

children overboard
Apr 3, 2009
Yeah it's hands free. Just tell your comm to transmit the code and it opens. Nail, yep you will still need to roll infiltrate even with the concealment (otherwise the threshold to see you is just 1 hit). And Nail/Natalya, feel free to go ahead and roll out your climb (you're fine as long as you don't glitch) and give us another infiltration check as you scale the wall quietly.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

I think these are all the rolls I need. Does the concealment still count going up the building?

Infiltrate: 12d6t5 4

Climb building: 10d6t5 3
Climb building2: 10d6t5 3

Climbing Infiltrate: 12d6t5 3

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Climbing take 2: 18d6t5 = 4 (Really? Well that's enough anyway.)

Infiltration: 16d6t5 = 7 (Go figure.)

children overboard
Apr 3, 2009
Positions, Everybody!

Nail and Natalya quietly clamber up the edge of the building and reach the roof. With the passcode Kale gave you, the maintenance hatch will helpfully slide aside when you're ready to drop down, then you can open the elevator doors manually to get access to the second floor.

With the two phony reporters reshooting every take, Noise has plenty of time to go slip through the hole in the fence and approach the back. With the camera edited, the two rebels watching the monitors will be blind to any approach from the rear. He meets Snipey there, though really all you can see of each other is a dim outline of a troll that's somehow hard to concentrate on, and a wiggly silhouette of an elf.

The soldiers look on in confusion as Vincent and Stormcrow play silly buggers. Then the door to the south of the security station slides open. The stern, hawk-faced rebel leader stares you down with cold eyes.

"Stop wasting time!" he hisses. "Or I can promise you, you will discover first hand how authentic our weapons are. Now raise your hands."

He mutters a clipped command in Tagalog to his soldiers. One of them shoulders her rifle and pulls out her pistol, stepping forward to start patting you down.

"And I would like to know," the rebel leader says, narrowing his eyes at you, "how you got here so fast following my broadcast."
-
If there's anything you want to hide, roll palming!
Also I'm assuming Noise's edits leave the reporters in view of the camera at the front of the building.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Natalya

Once the access panel slid aside, Natalya grabbed hold of the edge of the maintenance shaft and quietly lowered herself down, readying her weapon as Nail joined her. From what she'd seen on the cameras there would be three of them on this floor, one right by the elevator, one over the hostages, and one at the opposite corner of the room. Three rebels to deal with between the two of them...it was almost enough to make her feel sorry for them.

Almost.

::In position,:: she subvocalized across the commnet, taking up a place beside the elevator doors. ::If you can squelch that grenade now would be an excellent time to start, I can't say I'm especially fond of the prospect of exploding. I'm far too pretty to die.::

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Snipey

Snipey acknowledges the obscured troll with a blurry nod. Camera feeds dance in the corners of his eyes, showing the movement within. The Leader was catching on. In the pit of Snipey's stomach, that old sick feeling was returning. But at the same time, he feels the world slowing as his magic does its work on his reflexes.

::Go. NOW.::

With a thought, Snipey enters the correct passcode into the door's AR overlay. As the door opens, he steps up, rifle in hand, then walks inside. He fires at the first guard at point-blank range. His rifle makes a muffled "ptuwb" sound, difficult to notice even standing a few feet away. Shooting guard #1: 20d6t5 6

Without waiting for the first guard to fall, he steps quickly to the side, lining up a shot on the second guard that doesn't intersect with Coll or Stormcrow. As the blood bursts forth from her body, he steps back behind the barricade, and checks on the first target. Shooting guard #2: 20d6t5 4

Initiative Score: 8d6t5+8 12

For reference, with EX-Explosive rounds loaded, Snipey's rifle does 10P damage and has -5AP.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Nail

Sliding down into the elevator shaft, Nail joins Natalya in waiting for the signal to go.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Stormcrow

"It's pretty simple, you got lucky," Stormcrow said, enduring his patdown. "Have you heard of a multi-spectrum emergency scanner? It scans local feeds from security corps., Docwagon, government contractors, etc. Standard carry for Horizon stringers on assignment in conflict zones. Most civilian ones only pull in unsecured feeds but ours has an agent that can crack low levels of encryption. So when you guys started your raid here, we started hearing chatter on the emergency responders channel that they had to have medical support standing by because of a hostage situation that could go sour. So Coll and I hopped in our Hotspur and high-tailed it out here as fast as we could. We were about 5 minutes out when you made your call for reporters. You got lucky. We're actually on assignment for the head office shooting a piece on Huk separatists. You could have gotten some amateurs from the local affiliate, instead you got a pair of artists who can take this thing global."

::Noise, is that biomonitor down?::

6 successes for Con.

Emerald Rogue
Mar 29, 2013

Baby Babbeh posted:

::Noise, is that biomonitor down?::

6 successes for Con.

I'm at work, and have no books! I will do that thing that everyone wants me to do later this evening, I promise. :shobon:

Edit: Also, did we just enter combat, or what? The stuff I need to do in the Matrix is heavy on Complex actions and sensitive to timing - I need to know if I have to blow my remaining Edge to beat out the rebels on spoofing/jamming actions to neutralize those grenades.

Emerald Rogue fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 19, 2013

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yeah, I hate to gainsay someone but could we wait until the explosive thread is neutralized before we start putting holes in people? Like, that's a fine post and all, but let's save it until we have the all-clear from the guy defusing the bomb.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

I was going to say something about the only entry point not having to deal with hostages opening fire first, but then decided that it will just fuel Nails growing Elf prejudice when hostages die because of it. And I could work it out with RP after everything goes down. Though Stormcrow so far has been more than competent.

Emerald Rogue
Mar 29, 2013
OK, so I need some clarification here, I guess. If we're going into combat, I know what I'm doing on my first turn:

Pass 1: Spoof grenades into a disarmed/safe mode, or simply spoof them onto my subscription list (if I can get away with that). My assumption is that the rebel leader will immediately notice me doing this and try to re-establish control.
Pass 2: Activate my Area Jammer 4, excluding Kale and the rest of the team from the effect. This should stop the rebels from reinstating the dead man's switch on the biomonitor or from detonating the grenades wirelessly.
Pass 3: Blast Fearless Leader with my Ingram, loaded with Stick and Shock rounds.

I will probably spend my remaining Edge to go before the rebel leader in Passes 1 and 2, if necessary.

If we aren't in combat yet, I can probably get off the Spoof attempt and maybe the jammer before the rebels realize what I just did to their grenades. All I need to know is whether we are actually rolling initiative yet. The timing on this is important if we want to save live hostages instead of many gallons of meat slurry!

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Vincent Coll

Vincent raises both hands to shoulder level, and walks briskly over the two armed guards. As one begins to search him, he looks annoyed, dropping both hands again. "What the hell are you doing? Is this your first time doing this? Look, keep your gun aimed with your left hand, like that, stand over there so you're in full view of the camera. Now search with your right hand. Each pat should be a blow, you only get once chance to make a first impression of strength, like this... see how you move my whole body? Good, good. And remember, when you get to the crotch, be sure to actually seize my dick for at least two seconds. Just grab on like you're climbing a rope, maybe give us a leer if you can manage it. It tests phenomenally with single straight women and men ages 14 to 23."

Four hits on palming for that gun Natasha gave me. Right now I wish I hadn't accepted it.

children overboard
Apr 3, 2009

Emerald Rogue posted:

OK, so I need some clarification here, I guess. If we're going into combat, I know what I'm doing on my first turn:

Pass 1: Spoof grenades into a disarmed/safe mode, or simply spoof them onto my subscription list (if I can get away with that). My assumption is that the rebel leader will immediately notice me doing this and try to re-establish control.
Pass 2: Activate my Area Jammer 4, excluding Kale and the rest of the team from the effect. This should stop the rebels from reinstating the dead man's switch on the biomonitor or from detonating the grenades wirelessly.
Pass 3: Blast Fearless Leader with my Ingram, loaded with Stick and Shock rounds.

I will probably spend my remaining Edge to go before the rebel leader in Passes 1 and 2, if necessary.

If we aren't in combat yet, I can probably get off the Spoof attempt and maybe the jammer before the rebels realize what I just did to their grenades. All I need to know is whether we are actually rolling initiative yet. The timing on this is important if we want to save live hostages instead of many gallons of meat slurry!

Yep, you are now in combat. You have surprised them and I am currently rolling out the millions of dice to handle that now (basically, Snipey's at +6 on the surprise test, the rest of you (except Coll with no commlink) are at +3 because he warned you before proverbially kicking in the door. If you happen to roll lower than the leader, I'll let you know and you can spend the edge and go first.

Emerald Rogue posted:

Pass 1: Spoof grenades into a disarmed/safe mode, or simply spoof them onto my subscription list

What's involved in getting the second one to work? My brain gone matrix dead.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

While your at it working getting combat started, what is it going to take action wise to manually open the elevator door?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Fuckin' elves, man.

Welp, guess we're doing this. Rollin' init at 10d6t5 = 6 hits where it counts.

Initiative total 16 (IP 2)

children overboard
Apr 3, 2009
Elven Diplomacy

Coll and Stormcrow are in the midst of smoothing things over with the rebels and they seem to buy the story, when the woman approaching Coll jerks suddenly. Her chest explodes outwards, speckling Coll in a mist of blood. Inside the building he sees the other rebel slump to the ground with another large hole in his torso.

The rebel leader's face drops into a look of utter shock. He raises his commlink ready to bark a command at what's left of his troops.

-
Init list (the first number is your regular init for the whole combat. The second is the bonus hits from surprise in the first pass. If you have MORE surprise hits than someone, they can't act against you in the first pass):

Noise: Init: 17(3), Surprise: 4 hits
Cole init: 13(2), Surprise: 3 hits
Nail init: 13(2), Surprise: 3 hits
Natalya init: 16(2), Surprise 7 hits
Snipey init: 12(3), Surprise: 6 hits
Rebel Leader init: 12, (3 hits for purposes of being surprised)
Rebel hacker init: 12 (3 hits for surprise)
Rebel Soldiers init: 11 (3 hits for surprise)
Stormcrow init: 9(2), surprise: 3

Noise, Cole, Nail and Natalia are up and can act in any order (Snipey's taken his pass 1 action). Then the rebels act, then everyone can act for pass 2.

The elevator door will have to be opened manually, so either Nail or Natalya will need a simple action (Strength+Body[2]) so you can get access to the rebels. The camera feed shows the one by the window and the one in the centre of the room have AKs, and the third one sitting at the desk has an uzi (and he's currently asleep).

Couple other rules things that might pop up:
Movement in Shadowrun is a bit borked. If you want to shoot from behind good cover (popping in and out to shoot at people) the rule is on p150 and it's just a straight -2 to your shot, and +4 to your reaction.
It's a free action to open/close the regular doors. Remember you get one free action per pass.

And +2 karma to Coll and Stormcrow for their hilarious reporter double act :).

children overboard fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Apr 20, 2013

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Nail

Drek! Another stupid elf, this time ruining our well laid plans by being trigger happy. Nail whispers, "Nat, you're up!" as he grabs the elevator door and wrenches it open. As the doors slide open, he grabs his rifle, bringing it to his shoulder.

Open elevator door: 14d6t5 3

Guessing it's a two handed thing to pull open the door, so I need to do the readying action for my rifle as the second simple action.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I feel I ought to explain myself a bit. I try to let my character's words and actions speak for themselves, and avoid much OOC conversation/planning. However, I clearly caused some confusion this morning, for which I am sorry, and hope this helps:

Snipey saw everyone in position and the leader about to catch on to the ruse. He also saw that the situation could be handled very quickly: In one pass, he could probably incapacitate the two guards in the first room. Stormcrow and Coll (in whose ability he automatically has faith, due to Coll's Fame quality) are right there and can stun the leader and security guard, both of whom Snipey wants taken alive. Upstairs, there are two of us and two of them (and one guy in VR, I and Snipey assume). The two of them are going to be occupied dealing with the two of us, and the two of us will be able to act before the two of them hear the commotion downstairs.

If all this seems a little unreasonable, let me further explain that Snipey is assuming a lot about the combat prowess and overall speed of the group. He speaks tersely, and what's important to him in a sentence may not be what seems important to other people.

If this leads to the hostages dying, I will sincerely apologize and accept blame. I don't know if Snipey will, though...

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Vincent Coll

As the woman crumples to the ground, Vincent is surprised to find himself halfway across the room, still accelerating. The crude augmentations of Wired Reflexes don't grant faster decision making processes, they just key the body to react as quickly as possible, in the way that comes most naturally, and Vincent has always reacted to combat the same way--strike straight at the head.

As Vincent rushes towards the commander, he extends the blade in his hand and holds it away from his body, angled so it catches the light and giving his target as much time to react as possible before going straight for the eyes. As the commander flinches back from the blade, Vincent snakes one leg out behind the man's legs, and the two crash to the ground together, Mad Dog Coll's knife close to the rebel's face.

I had to edge the check, but that's eight hits on a knockdown attack. So you don't have to look it up: If the attack hits, compare net hits + strength to the target's body. If they're higher, down we go! No damage is done.

Gotta take him alive or everyone's gonna bitch about them hostages. Do me a favor, take the remaining guards alive too. They can't act against most of us this turn, so this is an excellent chance to try dumb poo poo.

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Apr 20, 2013

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

Spending an edge to act first

Stormcrow

"drat!"

Stormcrow dives and neatly rolls to the left, landing a low crouch. They could have given him a little warning before kicking this off! Hopefully everyone was in position.

Priority is saving those hostages, he communicates mentally to his Daitengu, waiting a short ways away in the astral. Protect the innocents upstairs, and my teammates. Kill anything that gets in your way.

As he comes to his feet, Stormcrow brings his hands together into a traditional Shinto mudra, feeling the power flow out from the kami at the center of his being and into his flesh. His eyes begin to glow pale blue, and sparks begin to dance across his skin. Almost tentatively, he reaches for the leader's commlink with fingers of thunder and will.

Using a free action to mentally send an order to the Daitengu. I rolled his initiative of 15 and got 4 hits. Since he's in Astral and can move really fast, I figure he can probably get to the second floor and materialize on this turn, which will hopefully startle the people there so much they don't immediately shoot the hostages.

Then, I'm using a Force 6 Levitate spell to try to take the leader's commlink. I rolled loving lousy on my resist drain check and only got 1 success, so I take 3 stun.

Baby Babbeh fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Apr 20, 2013

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

The biggest issue is that so far Vincent and Stormcrow were fine, rolling great on their Con rolls so no apparent problem and Noise had not yet taken care of the grenades. If the grenades had been taken care of or they were flubbing their social checks, it may be different. Right now(unless Noise takes care of it in his few actions), even prone, the leader could still blow the grenades if he held onto his commlink. Also, things could still go very bad here, Vincent has Bad Luck quality so who knows what may happen with his edge use.

It just appeared very premature.

Shadowrun does take a bit of planning and waiting while things are sorted out, either IC or OOC.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Natalya

::Showtime!,:: Natalya sing-songed over the commnet as Nail opened the elevator doors for her, sauntering forward and whipping her Smartgun up and towards the rebel standing by the window. At this range she was close enough to see the look on his eyes as he turned towards the opening doors.

The Smartgun coughed as she sent a burst of hi-ex towards him from near point-blank range. Not pausing to survey the results she whipped around, smartlink hurrying to compensate for the sudden shift as she sighted down on the other conscious guard before he could respond and pulled the trigger a second time, gun bucking in her hand.

Man, Shadowrun combat involves a whole lot of stuff. I'm double checking everything and I hope I have this right. I also hope that I'm not going to make dumb tactical errors given that it's been a while since I've done this.

So for starters, I'm using EX-explosive ammo in an Ingram Smartgun which makes my base damage 6P (AV -1). For my first action I'll be using a narrow burst against the rebel by the window. I'm close enough to him that I feel justified in taking the +2 Point Blank modifier, which I'll then cash in for a two-point called shot, which puts my damage at 8P (AV -1) before any further modifiers. The Smartgun has RC 2(3) and I see no reason not to be using the stock, so 3 points RC total.

I roll 13d6t5 for 5 hits, at 8P +2 for narrow burst (AV -1).

Next action! I won't be taking cover, instead I'll be attacking the other alert guard on the floor. Now the penalties start kicking in. Multiple targets is a -2 which puts me at 11 dice, then comes a second burst for a further -2 total recoil penalty so I'm down to 9. Oh well, bring it on.

I roll 9d6t5 for 2 hits at 6P +2 for narrow burst (AV -1). Mystic Mongol explains a brain hiccup I was having over Edge and I spend a point afterwards to reroll my misses, rolling 7d6h5 for 6 additional hits. That's 8 hits total on rebel #2.

A semi-related question...in the future do you just want to roll our initiatives for us? I totally don't mind as it'll speed up combat and I don't care about someone else rolling my e-dice for me.

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Apr 20, 2013

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Fun fact!

On Orokos, you roll 12d6t5 if you want to chuck twelve dice and count the number of successes you got. If you added edge, or if you're using edge to reroll misses, then 12d6h5 lets you reroll all 6s and counts them as successes as well, which is what you're supposed to do, which increases the number of successes per die rolled from .333 to .4.

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Apr 20, 2013

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
My screw up was I forgot you had to declare you're spending edge to add + rule of six to the entire pool before rolling everything. I've been playing too many games lately where you can spend bennies after the fact (I know you can do it in SR4 too but it's crappier unless you have a really good Edge rating). My roll's a matter of record, if children overboard is cool with me spending a point as though I'd done so prior to the roll I'll take it, but I also won't bitch if we're doing no take-backsies fair being fair.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
If you spend edge after the fact you don't add additional dice to the roll, but you do reroll all misses, and you rule of six those. If you've got a big dice pool that's often better, and if you have a huge edge it's better to add edge.

For a comparison to the relative virtue of using edge after the fact, some charming handsome fellow made this a while ago.

With your edge of 2, it's a better idea to wait and see what your die roll is if you're rolling five or more dice.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Okay, I see where my stupidity is coming from. The sentence talking about rerolling failed dice was ambiguous enough for me to misunderstand it, I thought the test had to fail completely for you to get to reroll. If it's you get to reroll all the dice that didn't get a hit on any test then hell yes I'm gonna do that.

7d6h5 = ...6 hits :stare:

Yeah, I think I'll take that. Editing that into my post now.

children overboard
Apr 3, 2009
Coll's Bad Luck check: 1d6 1
Still enough to knock down the rebel though.

Noise still has his pass 1 action to go. With the commlink out of the rebel leader's hands, the only danger now is his biomonitor reporting him dead.

Emerald Rogue
Mar 29, 2013
Noise

::Shutting down the grenades now!::

Noise hunkered down next to the door frame, trying his best to shut out the noise of combat and concentrate on his part of the action. Sweat beaded on his forehead - there's only one chance to get this right or we're going to be looking at a pissed-off employer and a bunch of dead wageslaves. All before we've even gotten our first retainer payment! With the command string completed, Noise sends it on its way with a thought, and turns his attention to his jammer interface, tuning it to blast noise across those frequencies not being used by his team's tacnet. Hope these guys aren't using anything beyond the usual commercial-grade junk. I only used this jammer for little things before ... Noise swallows nervously and checks his smartgun. With a bit of luck, everything's going to work out fine. Time to find out if you're as good as you think you are, Nicky.

Apparently, I'm holding up the action! Let's fix that. On the first pass, I'll Spoof a Command to the grenades using Fearless Leader's ID to place them into a deactivated or safe mode. I'll use Edge to boost my roll.
Spoof grenades with Edge: 15d6h5 6 successes

On the second pass, I will activate my Area Jammer (Rating 4), excluding Kale and our team. This requires no rolls, but does take a Complex Jam Signals Action. Rules can be found on SR4A p.231. Basically, any device with a Signal+ECCM rating less than the jammer's rating loses wireless connectivity. The area jammer affects a spherical area and has its rating reduced by one for every five meters away from the jamming device itself.

I'll hold off on declaring my actions for the third pass until I see what damage the rest of the crew inflicts. Question for Children Overboard - what actions would I need to take in a pass to command the booster node to issue a restricted alert on their hacker and terminate his connection? I can't really find something appropriate in the core book, but it seems like something I could do with an admin account.

Emerald Rogue fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 20, 2013

children overboard
Apr 3, 2009
Gonzo Journalism

With a single thought Noise shuts off the grenades. Before the rebel leader can trigger them manually, Stormcrow's magic rips the commlink out of the man's hands a second before Coll dives at the guy. The elf slams into the rebel leader and they both tumble to the ground. The Huk shouts "pumatay ng isang prenda!", plants a boot in Coll's chest to keep him at bay, aims his gun at the elf's belly and fires two shots.

Coll gets a glimpse into the room to the south and sees there's one of Newport's guards in there too. His nametag says 'Andy'. He has a pistol in his hand.

Upstairs Nail and Natalya overhear the leader down on the ground floor shout "shoot a hostage!" Not on your watch. Nail rips open the doors and Natalya's gun bucks. Three rounds rip into the first rebel and he collapses in a heap. The second is slain instantly as the explosive bullets pulverise his vitals. He's dead before he hits the ground.

One more rebel in the room, the one sleeping with an uzi in his lap. He doesn't even notice as fragments from Natalya's rounds smash the window beside him, and doesn't even stir when the huge tengu materialises in the room looking for threats. The bird regards the sleeping rebel and the prone civilians who are too scared to even raise their heads. They have no idea Noise has rendered the grenades under them inert.

-
Natalya blasts first rebel for 10P and the other one for 15P. They are grunts so they die outright.
Rebel leader shoots Coll twice (+2 point blank, -3 for being in melee): rolls 4 hits and 1 hit. DV is 5P/AP-1 (remember the second reaction roll against an attack is at -1 (in addition to any wound penalties you might have from being shot the first time)).

Noise Init: 17(3)
Coll init: 13(2)
Nail init: 13(2)
Natalya init: 16(2)
Snipey init: 12(3)
Rebel Leader init: 12
Rebel hacker init: 12
Rebel Soldiers init: 11
Stormcrow init: 9(2)

Pass 2: Noise, Coll, Nail, Natalya, Snipey are up. Andy has delayed his action.

Emerald Rogue posted:

Question for Children Overboard - what actions would I need to take in a pass to command the booster node to issue a restricted alert on their hacker and terminate his connection? I can't really find something appropriate in the core book, but it seems like something I could do with an admin account.

You're the admin now, so probably three ways to do it. First two would benefit from declaring him an intruder as you mention (I would call that an "issue command", so a simple action).
1) Terminate his connection (This is just "issue command", a simple action). The node will then keep rolling an extended Firewall+System test (so 8 dice, +4 if you declare him an intruder first) against his exploit rating(+2 for having a security account). When it gathers enough hits he gets kicked out.
2) System reboot. Take a simple action to "issue command". Node starts rolling System+Response (8 dice). When it gathers 10 hits the whole thing shuts down, kicking everyone off.
3) Attack his icon. This follows the usual cybercombat rules. His attention appears to be elsewhere, so he will not be able to defend until he comes back to this node.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
4). Alternately we can always just shoot him.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

Rolled initiative before I reread the rules and realized I didn't have to. Ignore it
Stormcrow

Stormcrow can feel the power surging through his body now, arcs of electricity making nerves fire randomly and clusters of muscles twitch. There is a dull ache not unlike the strain of a long run. His breath comes labored, and smells of ozone.

"Drop that!" He shouts, point toward [strikeout]the security guard Andy[/strikeout] The leader. Lightning flashes in his eyes.

Another Force 6 Levitate disarm, this time rolled 3 successes, which should still be enough to yank the gun out of his hand since it doesn't weigh much. Rolled a 4 on my resist drain roll so I don't take any drain this turn

Edit: I just realized I'm probably C on the map, so I wouldn't have a line of sight on Andy. In that case I'll go for the leader's gun. Also I realize I neglected the penalty from the stun damage I took on the last round, so I actually should have rolled 12 dice for that disarm rather than 13. You can penalize me one success, although I don't think it matters for this spell.

Baby Babbeh fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 20, 2013

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Nail

Looks like it's all clean up now since Natalya took care of the two real threats. The guy apparently asleep is probably their hacker, jacked into something and oblivious to the carnage happening around him, how else would be miss his two buddies being ripped to shreds.

Time to gather some intel. Charging across the room, Nail yells in English and then Tagalog "Newport HRT! Stay down!" As he reaches the hacker, he lets his rifle drop to it's sling, winds up and nails the him with a solid right cross.

Taking superior position(+2) since I'm standing and the hacker is sitting and charging(+2)
Punch hacker: 15d6t5 4
My unarmed damage is 4s

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Would I be able to, in the course of one initiative pass, find the grenade that's causing us so much grief and just chuck the drat thing out the window?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

re: option 4) Tase him. Captives, man. I'm curious: Who has a third initiative pass? There's Noise, Snipey, and maybe someone else?

Also, I forgot the -2 penalty for Multiple Targets on my opening move. Sorry.

Snipey
Assuming the people who move before me don't contradict this:

It's impressive to see Mad Dog Coll in action, but now the next shot is tricky. One on the ground, one standing. Snipey's hands move with practiced speed, one sliding his rifle out of the way while the other draws and readies his taser.

As Snipey moves to get a sight-line on the traitor-guard, the thought flits through his head that he ought to buy a smartgun mod for this taser. It's inconvenient to aim without computer assistance. Inconvenient, but not difficult. Tasing Andy: 12d6t5 5 (Defiance EX Shocker, 8S(e).)

The last map's a little off. I tried to leave Snipey inside the building, standing just south of the first dead guard. You may have reasonably decided to not edit that in, of course.

• Locked thread