Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

children overboard posted:

You still have one simple action left this pass if ye want it.

If I use it to chuck the satchel charge in there do I need to roll or am I close enough to simply do it? You said the hatch was open by enough to shoot through so I presume it could fit, but I'm looking to drop and not throw.

If I do this then the plan changes from "pop the hatches open" to "lock the hatches shut," otherwise they're gonna throw it back out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Not with a readied action to blow it they're not.

children overboard
Apr 3, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

If I use it to chuck the satchel charge in there do I need to roll or am I close enough to simply do it? You said the hatch was open by enough to shoot through so I presume it could fit, but I'm looking to drop and not throw.

If I do this then the plan changes from "pop the hatches open" to "lock the hatches shut," otherwise they're gonna throw it back out.

Yeah I figure you can just drop them in at this range.

Mystic Mongol posted:

Not with a readied action to blow it they're not.

Yep, if the leader dies they go up (and the chunky salsa rule will make this pretty brutal), but this needs Noise to switch the grenades back on.

children overboard
Apr 3, 2009
Actually, since Noise has the leader's commlink now it's just a free action to switch a mode on a linked device so he can do it this pass.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Natalya:

With a burst of speed Natalya dashed across the lot, her outline flickering and blurring as the camouflage struggled to keep up with her. As bullets pattered and pinged off the APC she leaped forward and grabbed onto the side of it, well away from any potential return fire...and since the occupants had obligingly opened the hatch for them already she decided not to bother wasting any more time, grabbing the improvised satchel charge off her shoulder and slinging it through the gap. "Fire in the hole!"

I am trusting that since Natalya is out of turn with which to move away from the APC that this isn't going to result in a GTA-style vehiclesplosion death. If it IS going to result in that I would very much like to not blow up, tia.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Vincent Coll

"Don't worry," Vincent says, "Replacements are cheep these days!" His eyes light up with glee as he brings his blade down savagely on the rebel's arm, just beneath the elbow. The sickening crack of both radius and ulna are clearly heard over both the victim's screams and the aggressor's crazed laughter, as hand, forearm, and biomonitor all fall to the ground.

That's a 11P wound specifically to the arm. Shadowrun's got no rules for dismemberment, so ball's in your court.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Snipey

Annoyed at finally having been hit, Snipey steps out from the building, rifle raised. Time to shoot the piece of drek with the SMG. He pays attention to the other ruthenium-coated blur, taking his shot when it's clear. A single round flies out, the rifle recoiling only slightly.

Shooting SMG-Ork: 20d6t5 7

::Gotta wonder how many there are in that thing.::

Emerald Rogue
Mar 29, 2013

Actually, since Noise has the leader's commlink now it's just a free action to switch a mode on a linked device so he can do it this pass.

Since this is apparently a thing I can do ... I will do so!

Noise

Huddled behind the increasingly illusory shelter of the control station's far wall, Noise pumps a fist in silent triumph as the image feeds from his team's improvised tactical network show the APC's machine gun shattering and Natalya scrambling up to an open hatch to drop off the bundle of grenades. Awesome! We aren't going to die today!

::YAHOO - get clear so we can blow this thing and go home!::

As soon as the satchel of grenades falls into the tank and Natalya leaps clear, Noise clears his AR interface to summon the icon of a large, red button. A flourish of the had, a flick of the wrist, and - boom.

Using a free action to activate the grenades once Natalya is clear of the open hatch, per Children Overboard's previous post.

children overboard
Apr 3, 2009
An Elastic Collision

Nail and Snipey return fire at the ork. The rebel ducks below the steel door but catches a bullet high in his shoulder and falls back. The driver swerves as Natalya draws near but he can't shake her. She delivers the package.

Back in the admin building, Vincent hacks through the rebel leader's arm. Andy the guard vomits and faints. The rebel collapses to his knees, eyes wide in shock as his forearm falls to the floor. The biomonitor decides that a lack of a pulse is typically fatal and screams at the grenades that it's go time.

The shockwave rocks the APC. Natalya's thrown to the ground but the armoured walls hold sparing her the brunt of the blast. Shrapnel and blood and gore and stray bits of equipment spew from the rear as the hatch is blown 40 feet away. The vehicle lurches to a stop on bent and ruined axles. When the smoke clears you see there is nothing left of the inhabitants.

-
The grenade blow off the rear door but fail to penetrate five of the surfaces (good news for Natalya who suffers only a ringing in the ears and a couple bruises). Accounting for the chunky salsa rule and buying hits for the inhabitants' armour, they take 36P+2S per grenade for a total of 144 physical and 8 stun damage each.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Natalya

She leaped from the side of the APC a split-second before the grenades detonated.

The force of the blast was enough to send her tumbling through the air, but balance augmenters and the tail that had been seamlessly grafted to her body were enough to allow her to land in a dignified crouch while dampers within her cybernetic ears kept the blastwave thundering across the lot from deafening her.

Natalya had always been one to embrace the wonders of the modern age.

She smoothly stood and disengaged her camouflage, ruthenium polymers cycling through a rainbow of colors as they returned to their inactive state, and she casually brushed the dust off of her sleeve before pulling her mask down and her hood off, giving her hair a toss as the APC smoldered behind her. "So then," she said with a Cheshire grin as she sauntered through the ruined front doorway of the tower, glancing curiously over at the amputated rebel bleeding out next to Coll and the unconscious guard lying in a puddle of vomit before paying them no further mind, "we are done here, yes?"

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Nail

Gazing out at the remains of the APC, ::Clear up here. Search, restrain, gag and blindfold whatever prisoners you have down there. Noise, grab the leaders commlink and come upstairs, got the hacker here. You can sit down and dig through any digital intel while we wait.::

Opening a channel to Kale, "Tell Newport to get some transport here for the workers. All are alive and accounted for. Send for a cleaning crew too." Noticing the workers still cowering on the floor, Nail points at the southwest corner. "Go stand in that corner. Anything bad happen, drop to the floor."

With everything under control upstairs, Nail searches the two dead terrorist, tossing their commlinks on the conference table and removing their shoelaces and a couple bandanas. Approaching the hacker, Nail once again searches him, placing his commlink on the table with the others and tossing his weapons into a pile in the middle of the floor. Taking the shoelaces, he binds the hacker's hands and feet, then uses the bandanas to blindfold and gag him. There would be time later to interrogate him, when there were fewer witnesses around.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Oh, 8 stun damage. That's nice.

Snipey

Seeing Natalya clearly for the first time, Snipey lets out a low whistle. He recognizes some of the augmentations from the catalogs he reads when bored. "Nice legs," he says as she passes him.

As much fun this lady looks to be, they're both still on the clock. ::Somebody should patch up the guard. I'm going to check the processing shed. Maybe there's a TacNuke set to blow.:: With that, he walks to the processing shed, telling the wounded guard that it should all be over now.

Nobody checked the garage, nobody checked the processing shed...

Emerald Rogue
Mar 29, 2013

ltr posted:

Nail

::Clear up here. Search, restrain, gag and blindfold whatever prisoners you have down there. Noise, grab the leaders commlink and come upstairs, got the hacker here. You can sit down and dig through any digital intel while we wait.::

Noise stands up, stuffs the leader's link into a cargo pocket and dusts off, taking a few breaths to compose himself before facing the rest of the team. How do these guys manage to sound so calm? That was a tank!

::On my way. Nice of the tank crew to save me the trouble of popping the doors on their ride. By the way, did you guys trigger the grenades manually or something? I never got to rearm the things after - ::

Noise never finishes the transmission, brought up at the sight of the carnage inside the main building. Swearing under his breath, the troll rushes up to the side of the freshly dismembered rebel leader, yanking his medkit out.

::Gonna be a minute before I get upstairs, Nail. The leader's hurt bad - lost an arm somehow. I'm going to try to get him stabilized before he bleeds out.::

As he opens the medkit and boots up the onboard expert system, he yells out to his teammates. "What the gently caress happened down here? Did this guy catch shrapnel off the tank or something? Somebody help me get this guy plugged up before we lose our best intel source!"

Going to try to stabilize the leader with my top-shelf medkit - if I read the rules on this right, I don't take a default penalty because the medkit's rating substitutes for my own (nonexistant) First Aid skill, right? Logic 4 + Medkit 6 = First Aid for the leader: 10d6t5 3 successes

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Stormcrow

Stormcrow wipes the dust from his pants and stands. Mindful of the burns across his back, he shrugs out of his jacket and... yup, ruined. Long rends of torn and partially melted YNT Softweave fabric mar the jacket's otherwise sleek silhouette. This was a new suit. He sighs.

"Guess I knew there were risks when I took this job," he says under his breath in Japanese. "I don't suppose there's a decent tailor on this island? No, probably not."

He feels very tired all of a sudden, now that the adrenalin of the battle has faded and the power he called forth has receded back into his belly. It was always like that -- the high of using magic was never quite enough to compensate for the crash that followed. Now, he just wanted to lie down, or better yet, take a long bath.

"Yes," he says to Noise as he tends to the leader. "It would seem our Mr. Coll has a different way of disarming someone than I do."

He shrugs, digging around in his jacket pocket for his cigarettes. There we go, He slides one into his mouth and then slings the ruined jacket over his shoulder.

"Get him patched up. He doesn't get to die just yet. I'm assuming we've got DocWagon incoming but I'll take care of the wounded guard outside, just the same. I might have been a bit abrupt when I was moving him out of the way of that tank."

Outside, the guard is lying in the bush where Stormcrow dropped him. He was as gentle has he could be under the circumstances, and that trauma patch should have kept the wounds from reopening, but it paid to be safe

"Hey, sorry about that little ride I took you for," he says. "It was as best I could do, what with the APC looking to run you over. But let's get a look at that gut wound."

Using heal on the guard.

Healing the guard: 12d6t5 5

Drain:

Drain: 12d6t5 4

vs. a DV of 3 so no Drain suffered.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Vincent Coll

Vincent pulls out a ratty handkerchief and wipes the majority of blood off of his blade before it disappears back into his hand. "Even if there isn't a tailor, we work for a hotel chain. I'm sure the concierge can do something about... all this." He waves a hand at the hole in his suit over his oozing wound. "At least I can use the wound in the meeting with Mr. Newport--although I'll need to stop the bleeding."

Vincent walks over to Noise, tossing the blood soaked cloth aside. "Anyway, looks like you're man of the hour, and you're still doing cleanup. Well done. If you're still feeling helpful, revive the three surviving rebels and line 'em up on a couch upstairs, I'll take care of their debriefing and asset evaluation. The leader's ambitious, we can use him." Without waiting for a reply, Vincent walks briskly away, and begins searching through the desks for some tampons, a couple of Kleenex, a spare pair of socks--basically, anything that can be wadded up and stuffed into his wounds to keep it from bleeding without beginning the healing process. The fight had been fun, but the inevitable adrenaline crash was minutes away, and if he was still losing blood then Vincent would end his first combat mission with a new team by fainting.

If no one has a better plan for the hostages I'm gonna try to turn them into security goons for the Newport Hotel.

children overboard
Apr 3, 2009
Clean Up Crew

Nail orders the hostages into the corner. Still not entirely sure what you are (you sure don't look like corpsec or police) but noticing that you brandish large weapons, they nervously comply. "Who are you lot, then?" the chief engineer asks, checking his corpulent mass over for any bullet wounds after the hail of gunfire that's just passed overhead. "Why ain't you in uniform?"

Still under the spirit's ailment, the weedy hacker is powerless to resist as Nail ties him up. The ork searches him and finds a decent knockoff of a Transys Avalon commlink with a suite of hacker programs that would've been cutting edge about a year ago. The four dead terrorists have cheaper CMT Clip comms--meager firewalls but Noise suspects they'll be sitting on a few databombs if the hacker was worth his salt. But aside from that it's just the standard loadout of AK 97 clones, Colt Manhunters copies, knives, and armoured vests (looking a little worse for wear now that they've failed to stop the bullets which killed their owners). Looks like a lot of their stuff was made in China, maybe left over from the war when the Chinese corps profiteered like crazy selling arms to the Huks under some brotherly notion of shared misery at the hands of Japan.

Kale's voice comes over the comm. "The hostages are alive? We thought... the explosion. Well. Mr Newport will be very pleased. Our conventional security team is en route, medics will be on hand."

Snipey checks out the shed. He finds the other dead guard in there, shot in the back of the head at his seat. Small calibre, close range. Looks like he didn't even turn around when his killer walked behind him and plugged him. His murderer was either very quiet or did not appear threatening.

Noise opens up the medkit. The doctor-expert system pauses a moment as if in slight astonishment as it searches its database for "traumatic amputation". LEDs inside the kit highlight clamps you will need to close off the arteries and the system prepares a cocktail for Noise, pumping a half dozen chemicals into a fat needle. The leader is spasming and screaming but as you wrestle to get the needle into him the coagulants turn the spurting bloodflow into a mere trickle and the morphine silences his cries as his head lolls back on his shoulders. He'll live. To preserve the limb for revascularisation the medkit advises wrapping it completely in damp towels and then putting it in an ice-filled bucket ("but ice should not directly contact the skin" you are informed).

Stormcrow provides less conventional medical care for the downed guard. He grunts as the jagged exit wound starts to heal at a startling pace. Through the bloodspatter on his shirt you make out his nametag says 'Benny'. "Fffffffuckin' 'ell," he breathes out a sigh of relief as he stretches and finds he's in mere strong pain rather than severe agony. "Cheers, mate. That's better than a kick in the bollocks, innit?"

-
Four hostages+wounded guard lived: +10 karma

Emerald Rogue posted:

Going to try to stabilize the leader with my top-shelf medkit - if I read the rules on this right, I don't take a default penalty because the medkit's rating substitutes for my own (nonexistant) First Aid skill, right?
Yep!

Mystic Mongol posted:

If no one has a better plan for the hostages I'm gonna try to turn them into security goons for the Newport Hotel.

You could but then you'd need to find new technicians to run the desal plant. Also, from available information it does not appear that Mr Newport is a hotelier. He largely builds telecommunications infrastructure.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Natalya

Vavrek posted:

Seeing Natalya clearly for the first time, Snipey lets out a low whistle. He recognizes some of the augmentations from the catalogs he reads when bored. "Nice legs," he says as she passes him.

"Why thank you, darling," Natalya said, taking a moment to strike a pose as she looked over the latest addition to their group for the first time (the first time he was visible at any rate). "Oh, and I simply love what you have done with your hair! Very stylish, very avant garde, mmm..." She sauntered over to the elf with a grin, trailing a hand along his shoulder as she stepped around behind him...

...and jammed the barrel of her SMG against the underside of his jaw hard enough to force his head back. "But if you ever interrupt the hacker while he is disarming explosives that I happen to be standing right next to again I will spread those pretty feathers all over the wall," she said coldly, violet eyes shining with menace. "The only person who gets to risk my life is me, and I do so when I choose, not anyone else. Understand?"

She held the gun against him for a second longer to drive the point home then pulled it away, ruffling his hair and laughing as she moved on.

Kale's voice comes over the comm. "The hostages are alive? We thought... the explosion. Well. Mr Newport will be very pleased. Our conventional security team is en route, medics will be on hand."

"Alive? Please, of course they are alive," Natalya said, sounding theatrically affronted. "We are professionals, did we not tell you? Medics would perhaps not be a terrible idea," she conceded. "So!" She clapped her hands, grinning widely. "Let's talk signing bonuses, shall we?"

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 28, 2013

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Aw, no secret bonus for handling the APC as well as we did? (Real reaction: Woohoo, karma!)

Standing alone in the processing shed, Snipey takes a moment to just breathe. Fragging indoor combat ... shoulda gone up the water tower, said 'Sniper in position!' and let the rest of 'em sort it out... Keep your head on, everything went fine. He tries to reassure himself by staring at his hands, but with only the headpiece of his chameleon suit removed, they're a bit hard to focus on. The thought of deactivating the active camouflage doesn't occur to him.

Snipey snickers at Kale's surprise. He clears his throat, sending a voice message rather than merely text. "This an excellent team, Kale. Once we showed up, nobody but Huk died. We even got a couple captives. Speakin' of 'signing bonuses' ... I believe we agreed I'd be paid the team's negotiated rate. Mr. Newport should be impressed."

He returns to the main control building and is disappointed to find Andy unconscious already. Snipey gives the traitorous guard a kick, but his heart isn't in it.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Nail

Oblivious to the group tension downstairs, he addresses the engineer, "We're the people Newport calls when they want something done right. What passes for the normal security team is still on their way." Looking at the time display on his AR, Nail continues. "In about 8 minutes the terrorists were going to kill one of you. So be happy we were nearby when we got the call."

Sitting down in a non-bloodstained chair at the table "Any of you injured? For now, stay up here, go ahead and take a seat. There's not enough of us to watch you downstairs, guard the prisoners and take care of the wounded. Don't want you lot wandering around getting yourself hurt on broken glass and blown up APCs. Once Newport security gets here you're in their hands, and my team can hit the bar."

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

Stormcrow

"Don't mention it, tomadachi. Corp assholes tend to treat security like they're completely disposable, I know all too well," Stormcrow says, helping the man to his feet.

"Anyway, what the hell happened here? Any reason you can think of why they'd go after a salination plant in the middle of nowhere?"

Emerald Rogue
Mar 29, 2013
Noise

Mystic Mongol posted:

Vincent walks over to Noise, tossing the blood soaked cloth aside. "Anyway, looks like you're man of the hour, and you're still doing cleanup. Well done. If you're still feeling helpful, revive the three surviving rebels and line 'em up on a couch upstairs, I'll take care of their debriefing and asset evaluation. The leader's ambitious, we can use him." Without waiting for a reply, Vincent walks briskly away ...

drat, this elf is weird and rude. Fantastic! Noise shows his shark-like teeth in a brief snarl as he barks at Vincent's back.

"I'm not the hired help, so don't talk to me like I'm your fei yung or something, man! You need some help with those holes in your chest, you can have a seat over here and I'll get to you in a minute."

Biting back his temper (and putting his teeth away), Noise gestures vaguely in the direction of the least-damaged chair or desk available before turning his attention back to the job at hand. Let's see now, the clamp goes onto this thingie here ... or is this one? Gross.

In a private message to Nail:
::We need to have a talk about Vincent when you get a chance. He hacked that guy's arm off for no goddamn reason. I don't like working with psychopaths.::

Emerald Rogue fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 28, 2013

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

You could but then you'd need to find new technicians to run the desal plant. Also, from available information it does not appear that Mr Newport is a hotelier. He largely builds telecommunications infrastructure.

What, no, not the rebel's hostages. Our hostages! The ones with combat experience.

Also drat, I really misunderstood the Newport group. OH WELL.

Emerald Rogue
Mar 29, 2013
If it's any consolation, I get you were trying to say! If you can turn them, the rebel leader especially could make for a good contact/intelligence asset.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Nail

Reading the message Nail is shocked but not surprised.

Sending back a private message to Noise:
::He did what? He was just starting to act normal too. I'm tellin ya, Elves are no good. Somethin about living so long, gotta mess up the brain in some of them. Ya, we'll have to sort this out, but in front of these workers isn't the right place.::

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
I'm just gonna jump things forward to the negotiation, we seem done with post-battle. If anyone wants to lounge around near the prisoners looking dangerous, that'd be a big help.

Vincent Coll

About fifteen minutes later, the three remaining rebels (The leader, the hacker, and the coward) are lined up on stools up on the second floor, their weapons confiscated but otherwise left unrestrained. In front of them, the impossibly beautiful elf stands in front of a window, backlit by the red sunlight streaming through a window. With the upstairs lights turned off, it's difficult for anyone to see the expression of the backlit elf. In silence he uses a towel confiscated from the rest room to dab away at the blood on his suit--not to clean it (there's little progress to be made there) but to give the three time to fret about just what he has planned for them. With the substation employees given strict orders to stay downstairs and stop that infernal sobbing, there's little to break the silence except for the occasional splat of blood.

When he thinks one of the prisoners is about to speak, Vincent tosses the towel carelessly into the center of the room. "Let's start again," he says calmly. "My name is Vincent Coll, Newport special contractor. The three of you have made a terrible mistake, but I'm not one to throw away a life carelessly. Still, I don't understand the appeal of your organization. Tell me--where do you hope to see yourselves in five years time?"

Mental Intimidation, seven hits. Objective: Get them to spill their guts, project an image of absolute control and relative invincibility.

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Apr 30, 2013

Emerald Rogue
Mar 29, 2013
Noise

With the leader patched up (or at least not leaking all over everything), Noise grabs a seat on the second floor. Commlinks need searching, intel needs recovering ... and that crazy elf needs watching. With his smartgun resting within easy reach, he starts to sift through the recovered gear.

Just going to have a quick look-see at those captured commlinks. I'll focus on usable intel, paydata and any hacking programs I might be able to steal from the hacker's old Avalon. Let me know if I need to make any rolls.

children overboard
Apr 3, 2009
Q&A

It's a very rare individual who finds it easy to ignore Natalya. Snipey, no reaction to her threats?

Stormcrow's new buddy Benny bums a cigarette, figuring bullets are more likely to kill him than smokes in this line of work. "Why'd they go for us? Dunno mate," he shrugs as he lights up. "Huks been hittin' just about anyone what ain't from here, yeah? Desal plant makes sense. Newport needs water to operate. All the fresh lakes got bought up 'bout half a bloody minute after the locals stuck the for-sale signs up. Guess the Huks figured we were light on fer security. They didn't fucken count on you lot showin' up, eh? You the 'irregulars' we heard about, then?"

Noise starts looking over their commlinks. The hacker has slightly outdated [rating 4] versions of Armour, Attack, Biofeedback Filter, Black Hammer, Databomb, Exploit, Sniffer, Spoof and Stealth. As for the soldier's comms, they've largely been wiped of data and the log shows the delete was carried out about half an hour ago. Likely a contingency against them getting caught. Trawling through the ghosts of wiped data for anything that might be salvageable, you come across something interesting: Databombs have been placed in the GPS logs of each comm. If you could disarm the bomb you could likely recover some data and find out where the rebels have been recently [This is a rating 4 databomb, so without the passcode you need to roll hacking+disarm against 8 dice]

Nail herds the frazzled technicians together while Vincent works on the captives. The mooks nervously look on as the imposing elf stands over them. The hacker can't even lift up his head, but the tall, thin rebel leader maintains a hard look in his eyes even as they're dilated with the cocktail of drugs currently keeping him from screaming.

"Not all of us expect to be alive in five years," the rebel slowly says, fighting through the haze of chemicals to keep his words precise. "Many of us died to take back the island from the Japanese. More of us will die to stop it being carved up by foreign exploiters. So I expect to be dead in five minutes. But the island in five years? Well... I think that unless you work for an arms company, a war is not very good for your bank account. Your company will find more profitable locales."

Emerald Rogue
Mar 29, 2013

Noise starts looking over their commlinks. The hacker has slightly outdated [rating 4] versions of Armour, Attack, Biofeedback Filter, Black Hammer, Databomb, Exploit, Sniffer, Spoof and Stealth. As for the soldier's comms, they've largely been wiped of data and the log shows the delete was carried out about half an hour ago. Likely a contingency against them getting caught. Trawling through the ghosts of wiped data for anything that might be salvageable, you come across something interesting: Databombs have been placed in the GPS logs of each comm. If you could disarm the bomb you could likely recover some data and find out where the rebels have been recently [This is a rating 4 databomb, so without the passcode you need to roll hacking+disarm against 8 dice]

Hm. I'll make copies or download those hacking programs for my own use or resale on the black market later. Slightly outdated is better than nothing.

I'm not super confident in my Defuse program - I skimped on it for some reason and I'm down to one Edge at this point. Is there any way we could wring the passcode out of the hacker or his captured commlink?

Ah, whatever - let's do it. Hacking + Disarm + Edge = Defusing data bombs: 15d6h5 4 successes

Emerald Rogue fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 4, 2013

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I figure Snipey went limp and silent as Natalya threatened him, and is getting on by not bringing it up. Should have made that clear somehow. Still acclimating to PbP.

Snipey

Satisfied that the hostages are alive, Snipey lounges upstairs, looking dangerous. The active camouflage is finally deactivated, and his gloves are removed. His rifle, however, is still on his back. He rubs his neck, poking at the spot Natalya had shoved her gun. She was frightening, but he was used to getting pushed around, and she has awesome legs. He's careful to avoid smiling at the thought.

"Why Newport? Hate the Matrix? Hate his accent? Or was it just the desal plant?"

He finds it fascinating to see Vincent Coll in person, to see him work. Snipey wishes he could remember if he'd ever met Mr. Coll in the past, when they were both new to the Ancients, but he isn't sure. What's more surprising is seeing him here, working for Newport. It's not like the Ancients to endorse multinational telecommunications groups.

Writing in present tense is tricky.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

Stormcrow

"Irregulars, huh? I suppose we are," Stormcrow says. "I'd say you're lucky this lot seems to have pissed Newport off. My services are not cheap, and something tells me the others aren't either. He's sparing no expense to bring the rebels to heel."

"So our reputation precedes, then? I'd very much like to know what you've heard about the contractors Newport is hiring. Actually, I'd like to hear anything you've heard about any contractors that are in the area. This island seems to be heating up."

Not that it wasn't hot as balls already, Stormcrow thinks. His sweat is soaking through his ruined shirt.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Vavrek posted:

Writing in present tense is tricky.
Argh, it's the worst, especially when you can't seize control of other people's characters! Open permission to everybody: Feel free to make Vincent do anything arrogant, condescending, and cold blooded you feel like. Flip switches, open doors, say rude things? I want you to think of Mad Dog as everybody's rear end in a top hat.

Vincent Coll

"Death, you say. I have never agreed that it accomplishes anything--certainly I have never asked a subordinate to die for me. But if you seek to throw your life away--" Vincent walks briskly across the room, drawing the ugly, heavy pistol loaned to him earlier from his jacket. "I'm a foreign contractor with no interest in the local culture, flown in by suborbital jet and paid each week enough to purchase any member of your family. This gun is loaded with bullets that explode." Vincent lowers himself to one knee and sets the pistol on the floor, about a meter away from the prisoners. "Of course, I'll cut you down if you try, but you will never have a better chance to throw your life away for ethnic pride than this."

Vincent takes two steps back and spreads his hands slightly. "Of course, it won't accomplish anything. You replaced a Japanese government with a government of your own, but you don't have a multinational megacorporation with which to displace the ones that come sniffing for money. Unless you wish to condemn your sisters, your children to endless warfare, in two, four, ten years time there will be a corporate logo on your churches. Maybe Newport, maybe some other craven half-man. You can fight the passage of years until you die, or you can join."

"I value the ambitious, so serve me. Show initiative, prove yourself valuable, and I shall shower you in riches. A strong, cunning man could end up running half this island. You could use your wealth to protect your people's way of life, or replace it with Brazilian mahogany mansions and neon pink night clubs. Turn aside here, and the decision of how your people's lives develop will be made by another."

As he was speaking, Vincent's voice had been steadily lowering as his expression grew more intent, but now he comes to an abrupt stop, as if realizing just how far he had gone. With a small sigh, he straightens back up. "Of course, if you seek neither death nor power, the three of you can just... leave. Walk down the stairs, out the door, and back to your lives. No one will follow any of you." He shakes his head in mock sorrow. "None of you have lives worth stealing."

Got a little speachey there, but I'm assuming we want to just get this done and move on.

Seven hits.

Also, is there a sense motive skill in shadowrun? If I'm going to start recruiting terrorists into a shadowy cabal of militants loyal only to me, I should probably have that skill.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Chummer lists it as a specialization of Negotiation, which shows where and when the devs expected you to be trying to sense another person's motivation.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Sweet. In that case I'm poo poo hot at it.

Emerald Rogue
Mar 29, 2013

Emerald Rogue posted:

Hm. I'll make copies or download those hacking programs for my own use or resale on the black market later. Slightly outdated is better than nothing.

I'm not super confident in my Defuse program - I skimped on it for some reason and I'm down to one Edge at this point. Is there any way we could wring the passcode out of the hacker or his captured commlink?

Ah, whatever - let's do it. Hacking + Disarm + Edge = Defusing data bombs: 15d6h5 4 successes

Just wanted to make sure that everyone saw my edit.

children overboard
Apr 3, 2009
Negotiating With Terrorists

Stormcrow's guard buddy leans in close and lowers his voice. "Well, after we got bombed the first time there was chinwag going round that Nigel was startin' a 'department of ungentlemanly warfare'. Y'know. Shadowrunners. Word amongst the lads is our head of security's steamin' about it. Don't think anyone expected you to turn up so quick, but."

Noise carefully picks apart the databombs and manages to delete the explosive files. The GPS logs for the past month are pretty easy to recover. It seems the rebels spend most of their time in a spot about 30 miles east of here in dense jungle far from any of the island's two cities. Mapsofts don't show anything but treetops. There are no marked roads but their APC didn't materialise out of nowhere, so they're likely using old tracks from the war years. Every Friday--including today--the rebels travel inland another 30 miles to a huge canyon. The logs indicate they spend a couple of hours there every week before heading back.

Vincent keeps working over the captives. The thin leader scoffs perfunctorily as he's required to but you can tell you've caught their interest... if only with the claim they can walk out of here alive. They may be open to further discussions. "You'd release us?" the leader says skeptically. "You must know we could never give up this fight. Not when already your corps are stuffing your stinking factories with our exploited poor, when your bulldozers roll over miles of forest every day, and your filthy vice-ridden culture infests our cities like a disease.

"As for Newport," the rebel looks at Snipey. "I could ask how many of our slums will be bypassed by his information superhighway, but in truth he offends us no more or less than the bulk of the foreign dogs who've come to rut here. We merely heard his security was more pathetic than the other internationals."

The security guard Andy raises his hand at this point. "Ah, point of bloody order, I ain't wif them lot, yeah?" he lies. "I think there's been a spot of confusion, I was just pretendin' to be a baddy to help bring 'em down! Y'know, inside man and all that?"
---

Mystic Mongol posted:

Got a little speachey there, but I'm assuming we want to just get this done and move on.

Seven hits.

Also, is there a sense motive skill in shadowrun? If I'm going to start recruiting terrorists into a shadowy cabal of militants loyal only to me, I should probably have that skill.

Yep you can either use Negotiation or you can roll Int+Cha to judge intentions.
If you want to reprogram their worldview for good to the extent that they will no longer be tempted to shoot you in the back the first time they get a chance, I'd say it is doable but this kind of drastic change is beyond the purview of an instant action and more the domain of an extended test (the book's example on p131 suggests instant opposed social tests are enough to temporarily sway someone, see the guard in the example used). You can keep them in Newport's semi-legal detention cells and work on 'em when you have downtime between shooting people, I'd say it'd be Negotiation+Charisma(threshold 4, their Willpower) interval 1 day, each time you hit the threshold they improve their attitude 1 step (currently your first speech has improved them from 'Enemy' to merely 'Hostile').

---

By now the conventional security has rocked up and two jeeps roll over the remains of the gate.

A dour-faced private security op with a Newport logo on his armoured vest steps out of the car followed by four others armed with assault rifles and two EMTs who split up, one heading for the downed guard at the gate and the other approaching Stormcrow's pal. The leader--who seems like the kind of guy who has a strict 'no fun' policy--barks commands at his troops to secure the perimetre before he starts walking over to the main admin building.

"Will Waterhouse, chief of Newport security. The gently caress went on here, then?" Mr No-Fun demands.

children overboard fucked around with this message at 09:46 on May 26, 2013

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

Stormcrow

The white-haired elf grimaces in Benny's direction before assuming a perfectly blank expression and turning toward the new arrival. He was too tired to deal with this rear end in a top hat.

"Stormcrow. I'm an independent security advisor under contract to provide threat mitigation services to the Newport Group," Stormcrow says, extending his hand to be shaken. "My team and I happened to be the closest responders when the call went out about the situation here. I'd say it's a good thing, because if you guys were the next farthest out, you're arriving just in time for the first hostage to be shot, right about... now."

"Anyway, all four hostages have been recovered, completely unharmed, as well as my new friend Benny here, with some slight wear. We captured three of the terrorists, the ringleader, a hacker, and an insider who helped the Huk take the facility. I believe they are talking to Mr. Coll our... diplomacy expert, right now. Damage to the facility was minimal although..."

He gestured to the ruined APC.

"Mr. Newport will need to purchase a new garage door."

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Vincent keeps working over the captives. The thin leader scoffs perfunctorily as he's required to but you can tell you've caught their interest... if only with the claim they can walk out of here alive. They may be open to further discussions. "You'd release us?" the leader says skeptically. "You must know we could never give up this fight. Not when already your corps are stuffing your stinking factories with our exploited poor, when your bulldozers roll over miles of forest every day, and your filthy vice-ridden culture infests our cities like a disease.
Vincent Coll

"Your poor stuff themselves into our stinking factories because they desire our vice-ridden cultural detritus; when we offer sugary soycaff and simsense recordings of decadence, and you offer a life spent crawling through the jungle shooting better equipped soldiers until you die in a war you have no plan to win, of course your children will turn away. You should be engaged in memetic warfare, an asymmetric engagement where you'll have a unassailable advantage over a think tank located on a different continent. Physical assaults against low value targets will only strengthen your opponent's resolve, and encourage them to hire people like me, who you're clearly not equipped to deal with. Cultural advantage springs from-- what the hell? Who is that?"

Vincent turns to look out the polarized windows at the arriving security forces. "Ah. The noble Newport security arrives, too late to help their wards but just in time to steal the credit. Things have gotten worse for the three of you. Try to walk out now, and they'll gun you down to justify their paychecks in the face of their own incompetence. If the three of you want to live, you'll need to walk out with me, as new recruits. Once you're clear, you can stay with me or march back into the jungle to die another day."

"This is your chance to make the existing security of one of your enemies look like fools, and take the first step towards replacing them. In or out?"

Vincent briefly considers shadowing the offer with a threat, but decides against it. If the three of them aren't scared of him yet, they're unlikely to respond positively.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Natalya

Baby Babbeh posted:

He gestured to the ruined APC.

"Mr. Newport will need to purchase a new garage door."

"Also a new carpet," Natalya helpfully pointed out as she leaned against a nearby wall, giving the dour chief a finger-wave before returning to idly inspecting her nails. "This one has blood all over it."

As the security forces went to work making themselves look busy, she rapped a fist against the wall before shouting upstairs towards Coll. "Hey! Hurry the gently caress up, we're leaving! And I want my pistol back!"

Emerald Rogue
Mar 29, 2013
Noise

Data retrieved, bombs disarmed, Noise hauls himself to his feet.

::Got some GPS data out of those commlinks, everyone. Our tank enthusiasts have a couple of spots they visit regularly out in the sticks. Might be worth a trip by someone who gives a poo poo at some point. I haven't been paid yet, so I have no shits to give.::

Covering a yawn with one hand - gunfights are tiring! - Noise turns to Coll and rumbles a question.

"Sounds like Newport's pigs just rolled up. Time to make ourselves scarce. You need help with anything up here, Vince?"

Unrolling a duffel bag from one of his many pockets, Noise sweeps an arm across the table in front of him, clearing it into the open bag with a clatter. Commlinks and surplus AKs should be worth some pocket money when he gets to meet up with Lo Pan. Assuming we all make it to dinnertime alive.

Convert these dudes all you want, but I am still taking their stuff to sell for snack money - although if Vincent needs a commlink, he can have that Transys Avalon after I wipe it. When do we get Edge back, by the way? I'm sort of out. :shobon:

Emerald Rogue fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Nail

Seeing the security force arriving, "Oh look, the boys in their shiny trucks have finally arrived. Don't want to be here when there's actual fighting or they may get a scratch on that paint job."

Leading the former hostages out to the lead security guy, "Here's your workers, all safe and sound. Good thing they didn't have to wait for your lot to show up. Prisoners are upstairs. The elf bastard in the bloody suit is unfortunately with us. We're done here, do what you like with the terrorists we already got what we need out of them."

• Locked thread