Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

i am not so sure posted:

Just drafting right now.

k confirmed then :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Confirming as autodraft member

ianss, you can contact me at gvr5063@psu.edu

Or find me on IRC when I remember

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Nashville is free again! Der juicen is vacating on second thought.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I confirm I guess. Do we have a set start date yet?

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

i confirm, i'm phoenix right?

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

the talent deficit posted:

i confirm, i'm phoenix right?

Yep.

We need someone to take Nashville and a spot on the consensus team, then we are good to go.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

i am not so sure posted:

Yep.

We need someone to take Nashville and a spot on the consensus team, then we are good to go.

i'm happy with nashville too if someone would prefer phoenix

also, if someone pms me whenever it's my turn to pick i'll get my picks in quicker. don't worry about overburndening me with pms

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

What are we using to run the game once we've completed the draft?

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Zip! posted:

What are we using to run the game once we've completed the draft?

Again, I probably am not even gonna sim at all, it is so much work. Just draft for now. Please nobody else ask this.

Dauher
Jul 22, 2007
The man from not near.
What's the point of drafting the teams if when we're done we all just look around and say "well, good work guys" and call it a day? If there's not some kind of mechanism of having the teams then compete then I'm not sure I'll bother with sticking to it.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Dauher posted:

What's the point of drafting the teams if when we're done we all just look around and say "well, good work guys" and call it a day? If there's not some kind of mechanism of having the teams then compete then I'm not sure I'll bother with sticking to it.

Well, if someone has an easy way to sim, then we can do it. If someone wants to plug them unit NHL 13 fine. I just want to draft for now and discuss options after.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
NHL 13 has stats, we can just say. "well he's the best player currently on the board" rather than try and make an informed choice. Not to mention that the stats are really, really poo poo and fluctuate all the time.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Dauher posted:

"I need an imaginary thing to tell me how good my imaginary team is."

How about we pick teams then talk about who has the best and worst teams and why certain teams are good and some are lovely? This is going to be fun, and who gives a rip what EA simulates?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The OOTP hockey sim (FHM) should be coming out in September, you can use that if you care so much about simulating. Although you'll never find a game to make everyone happy because the player ratings and sim engine will never be simultaneously consistent with everyone's views about their players and the game of hockey in general so who fuckin' cares.

i am not so sure, now that we have most of the teams signed up and ready to go can you assign the draft order? I'd like something to think about now if this is going to drag out much longer before starting and I don't really care if the last 2 or 3 or however many GMs get to choose from a few options.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Agreed, gently caress simming. And I will now choose a random draft order and post it and update the OP. If you guys can promote this in the N/V thread I would appreciate it. All we need is someone to be Nashville and part of the consensus team. Two more people and we can begin.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Start thinking about your picks. Remember, this is a snake draft, so if you're 30 you're also 31. First overall is actually kind of a tough spot. I assure you I just randomly generated this order without bias.

1. Jets
2. Stars
3. Blues
4. Sharks
5. Maple Leafs
6. Senators
7. Hurricanes
8. Sabres
9. Wild
10. Capitals
11. Bruins
12. Avalanche
13. Flyers
14. Canadiens
15. Kings
16. Penguins
17. Devils
18. Islanders
19. Ducks
20. Panthers
21. Coyotes
22. Predators
23. Blackhawks
24. Red Wings
25. Flames
26. Lightning
27. Oilers
28. Canucks
29. Rangers
30. Blue Jackets

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Dauher posted:

Can you confirm you're still in? I doubt we will sim.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I wish I could trade down somehow, but I know we can't.

I think I have an idea of who to take, though.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

mennoknight posted:

"I need an imaginary thing to tell me how good my imaginary team is."

How about we pick teams then talk about who has the best and worst teams and why certain teams are good and some are lovely? This is going to be fun, and who gives a rip what EA simulates?

This is a good and correct post. Especially since we're picking farm systems (to an extent) as well.

In any case, let's talk philosophy. I want Chicago to be competitive immediately, with a window of 3-4 years during which a cup might be possible. I'm a big believer in the importance of size, speed (more so for forwards), and demonstrated playoff experience / performance. The emphasis would be on a strong, aggressive forecheck and net drive and the ability to cycle down low rather than a pure possession game. Shot quality is nice but pure number of shots (and attempts) is more important. This team may score a lot but they wouldn't be pretty.

Goaltending is a mix of luck and clutch. Playoff and single tournament performance is even more important here.

Salary structure will change based on who is available, but this is a cap team immediately, with some expiring contracts, but a limited number of guys looking for big raises. The farm system will operate similarly to the goals stated above. Emphasis will be on low risk prospects where possible. Prospects will likely be older and the intent will be to have them replace second and third liners, not the top guys.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

My strategy is to pick guys with funny names and cute bums.

25th? Goddamnit.

mennoknight fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 9, 2013

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Cool beans, time to think of who the 7 best/best value players in the NHL are. Although I really would have preferred top 4, we'll see what the other 6 do.

If Crosby doesn't go first overall you are doing something wrong.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 9, 2013

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I definitely want balance. I pick 17th and unless a can't miss player is still on the board, I don't plan to spend more $7.5m on any one player, and after that player I don't want anyone else over $6.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

eXXon posted:

Cool beans, time to think of who the 7 best/best value players in the NHL are.

To be honest, Tavares gives him a run for his money with the contract he's got.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

i am not so sure posted:

To be honest, Tavares gives him a run for his money with the contract he's got.

You're right, Crosby is too much of an injury risk. Let him fall as much as possible.

Actually this is going to be pretty hard, considering that a lot of top 10 forwards are near UFA status. Malkin's going to be a tough decision.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I want the best team available, with an emphasis on scoring and defense, with a well-stocked prospect system.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

eXXon posted:

Cool beans, time to think of who the 7 best/best value players in the NHL are. Although I really would have preferred top 4, we'll see what the other 6 do.

Hall Gill Just kidding, there's no way I can't pick Crosby

Dauher
Jul 22, 2007
The man from not near.
I'm still in yes.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

eXXon posted:

You're right, Crosby is too much of an injury risk. Let him fall as much as possible.

Actually this is going to be pretty hard, considering that a lot of top 10 forwards are near UFA status. Malkin's going to be a tough decision.

Yes, I would say that Sid Crosby is definitely the 25th best player available.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I'm drafting Lou Lamoriello style. So...

No comment.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I kind of get boned with the snake draft, so I'd almost consider going with a goalie right off the bat.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I'll join as Nashville.

PS - Your OP doesn't have Boston listed.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
The first few spots of this are too difficult. I have a feeling in my bones of who I am gonna pick, and I already know it's gonna confuse a lot of people.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

So all we need is one more consensus member and we can literally start the draft today.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I'll do consensus.

e: I agree to the rules.

Thufir fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 9, 2013

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Thufir posted:

I'll do consensus.

Done.

Everyone agree on the rules and the Jets will be on the board.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I agree to the rules, and I'm ready when you say go.

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust
All set as NYI, I agree to the rules etc.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I agree to the rules.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
I agree to the rules, and I have my pick ready to go at #8 :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

"It is what it is."

• Locked thread