Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

T-Bone posted:

"It is what it is."

Your picks are gonna be amazing. And I think the rules are fine and if we need to alter something we can do so.

Jets, you have first pick. Remember to explain your pick a little bit. Every once in a while, I will update the OP with the picks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

With the first overall pick in the SAS NHL Draft, the Winnipeg Jets select Sidney Crosby.

Cap Hit - $8,700,000
Rationale:
Because he's Sidney loving Crosby, that's the gently caress why
A leader on and off the ice, Crosby brings an immense skill level to every team he's played for. It would be wrong to pick a player at #1 based off leadership and a knack for being in the right spot at the right time, but the statistics are there to match as well. I'm a little leery of his injury reputation, but he's only 25 years old and will be a cornerstone of the team for years to come.

Skill players like this come once in a generation, and assuming we can get some goons for protection in later rounds he should have a long career ahead of him, on a contract that would be locked down with the Jets for a long time.

Worst-case scenario, Sidney Crosby also makes excellent trade bait if this team doesn't work.

E: On a side note, the Winnipeg Jets would also like to announce they have acquired Dr. B. Samedi to lead the team medical staff.

Boomer The Cannon fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 9, 2013

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Oh poo poo, son. Number 5? I don't know if I even like picking that early in a snaking draft. Time to do some sleuthing.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
I think every GM should also have to pick a picture (a la Lou) and have them announce it. I have given the GM reigns to my Lanny McDonald doll:

"I am proud to have this new responsibility. I will follow the rules."

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
That's amazing. I want a Dano Doll like that but with a big bottle of Scotch stitched to one hand.

(Agree on the Crosby pick, woulda done the same)

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I agree to the rules. poo poo #3 pick. This'll be rough.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I think the first three picks are sorta easy but after that it's going to get really loving hard. Like at 17 I have no clue who to pick just yet. Crosby is probably the right choice for first, it doesn't even matter who you put on his wings. They'll have 60 points.

DALLAS STARS, YOU ARE ON THE CLOCK.

Brodeurs Nanny fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 9, 2013

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I've got one through five pretty darn clear in my head, but after that - no clue. If anyone other than Crosby went first I would've made them repick.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
picking Crosby 1st overall is boring :(

did you even consider any other players? or is answering that tampering with the draft?

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Starsfan posted:

did you even consider any other players? or is answering that tampering with the draft?

Eh, you can tamper a bit, but listing good picks available can be at the peril of the GM's.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I think it's probably best to just not talk about players that are still available.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

canuckanese posted:

I think it's probably best to just not talk about players that are still available.
Torres is the best 1st round pick.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Watching as an excited spectator.

Will there be a spreadsheet up of teams picks so far and the cap hits as a running total?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

mennoknight posted:

I think every GM should also have to pick a picture (a la Lou) and have them announce it. I have given the GM reigns to my Lanny McDonald doll:

"I am proud to have this new responsibility. I will follow the rules."

:3:

The three GM images that must be used for this daft are Fat Feaster, Smug Homer, and Tambo.gif

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Rotten Cookies posted:

Watching as an excited spectator.

Will there be a spreadsheet up of teams picks so far and the cap hits as a running total?

A spreadsheet was made but it needs to have cap hit added and whatnot. I think it would be good if the drafting GM's kept track of their rosters and cap hit. Like as you draft each player, you can post your roster and cap hits so far. It would help everyone, because I know I'll be doing that anyway just to keep track of my cap.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I guess my GM will have to be that fuckin' cat riding a 4 wheeler on the ice.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

DOOP posted:

:3:

The three GM images that must be used for this daft are Fat Feaster, Smug Homer, and Tambo.gif

Uhhhhh, Glen_Sather_Fist_Pump.gif ?

Alternatively, Sather_Stogie.jpeg

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Hurry up, Twin Cinema. Leafs GM Brian Burke on the phone with his tie un-done (because you know he's hard at work) wants to pick his truculent superstar.

e:

i am not so sure posted:

A spreadsheet was made but it needs to have cap hit added and whatnot. I think it would be good if the drafting GM's kept track of their rosters and cap hit. Like as you draft each player, you can post your roster and cap hits so far. It would help everyone, because I know I'll be doing that anyway just to keep track of my cap.

we had a googledoc just like this in the wrestling draft thread and it was extremely helpful.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
21? Jeez. Well I suppose that means I get a quicker 1-2 that's good I suppose.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Starsfan posted:

Other players were considered, but it was a very short list. I'll know whether I made the right decision by the time I pick again.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Other players were considered, but it was a very short list. I'll know whether I made the right decision by the time I pick again.

Hint: you did

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

With the second overall pick, the Dallas Stars pick...Tay Tay

I'll be the first to admit, this may not be the wisest pick. For me, It came down to Hall and Tavares, two young guys who are already elite, and have the potential to be that much better. So, why did I choose Hall over Tavares? Well, I think the contracts are pretty much even, because even though Tavares has a better cap hit, Hall is signed for an additional two years. I also think they are comparable in skill currently, even though Hall's a year younger. But, I am thinking long-term here. Obviously, I am incredibly high on both, but I see something in Hall that edges him ever-so-slightly above Tavares for me, at least a few years down the road. The only concern is injury issues, but they don't make me so nervous that I wouldn't pick him. Advanced stats show that he has been playing the toughest defensive match-ups on his team, and has great possession stats. His numbers are a bit deflated because he hasn't played a full season yet. Last year, he was on a 36-goal, 71-point pace over an 82-game season, and this year, he is outperforming these. I think he's only going up from here. I also think he's a solid defensive player.

I think as Edmonton improves, and over the course of a full season, this pick will look a lot better. Hall has been playing on a basement team, much like Tavares, and while there are other guys on the team that have great potential for Edmonton, I think Hall is going to emerge as "the guy," at least according to the fan's perspectives. It was really difficult picking between the two, but I ultimately went with my gut (gut instinct!), and figured that I'd have some fun with this.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

You're loving delusional.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Wow, it didn't take long for this to get interesting. I'm selling peanuts for $10/bag now. Twin Cinema, you get the first bag free. Dumped on your head, because your pick is crazy.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I will point to this thread in a few years as an example of my brilliance when Hall wins his third Hart.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

Keep up the great picks guys I like the way this is going

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I think both those picks are stupid for 2nd overall.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Taylor Hall should have went second in his NHL entry draft. Not this one.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
I made something for everyone. It's shared so if you have this link you can change anything you want. I'm NOT going to update everyone's picks - maybe between all of us we can keep it up to date. Feel free to add columns but please don't gently caress it up too bad.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amj_wGJYwFRYdEtqcm5pTXRlcmY5Mm1CRzE0NC1pVVE#gid=0

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Word. Thanks dude.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

With the third overall pick, the St. Louis Blues select Steven Stamkos.

With a cap hit of $7,500,000 for the next three years the #1 goal scorer in the league is hard to not pick up this youngster early. We plan to build our team around him. If he does this good on the lightning its going to be fun to see how great he does with a competent team around him.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Yeah that's who I would have taken second. He's the same age as Tavares and Hall and he's better than both of them, and it's not like his development stops just because he already won awards or something.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Man, I was realllly hoping Stamkos would slide to 5, but no way he was gonna. Time to strike one off the list. Also, I hope Infidel Castro shows up because I've got my pick ready to go.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Stamkos is carried by St. Louis. :colbert:

Nah not really. He's probably the third best forward.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Stamkos was my in the mix, and is the 'safe' choice, but whatever #yolo

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

San Jose is on the clock!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Twin Cinema posted:

That Stars logo you used owns bones at the very least

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Twin Cinema posted:

I'm curious as to what you think Hall is going to do better than Stamkos because 'score goals' doesn't seem to be it. Hit more and be injured more or something?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

eXXon posted:

I'm curious as to what you think Hall is going to do better than Stamkos because 'score goals' doesn't seem to be it. Hit more and be injured more or something?

Show up in the playoffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
taylor hall really really owns and it's funny to see all these people who dont get that

he's an oiler and hes one of my fav players because of how good he is

• Locked thread