Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jopo
Jan 29, 2007

Kovalev out 6-8 months with lazy bones
Succeeding Steve Tambellini is a daunting task, but I'm up for it. I'll take the Oilers if they're still free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jopo
Jan 29, 2007

What the gently caress do you mean I don't pick first? That's madness.

jopo
Jan 29, 2007

First of all, we would like to congratulate the Los Angeles Kings on winning the Stanley Cup. We'd also like to thank the people of the Something Awful forums for their hospitality.

With our first pick, the Edmonton Oilers are proud to select Logan Couture

Cap hit: 2,875,000
Signed through: 2013-2014

Proven 30 goal scorer, young, great cap hit, can play centre or wing.

jopo
Jan 29, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

I like Logan but man... Seems early.

Kane was definitely early. I just don't see building around a winger who isn't even elite. And that contract is pretty high.

Yeah, if this were a list of "best players in the NHL" then I'd agree. However, so far the trend has been taking impact players on ELC's/reasonable RFA deals, so I figured having an underpaid Logan will make it easier to fit in a pricier star later.

jopo
Jan 29, 2007

With our second round pick, the Oilers are proud to select Kris Letang

Cap hit: $3,500,000
Signed through: 2013-2014

Letang would have been nominated for the Norris this year had he not been injured. He's a clear cut #1 on an outstanding contract, and is only 25 years old.

jopo
Jan 29, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

I almost took Pietrangelo/Letang 30/31 but decided I didn't want two franchise defencemen and a patchwork offence. He was the player I considered better overall than Bergeron, but in the end positioning won out.

I was going to take whoever was left between Petro and Letang. Had they both been available I'm honestly not sure who I would have gone with.

jopo
Jan 29, 2007

The Edmonton Oilers are excited to select Brent Seabrook. Of all the remaining players available, he was certainly one of them.

Cap hit: 5.8 Million
Signed until: 2015/2016

Seabrook is excellent defensively, provides a physical presence and consistently produces 35+ points from the backend.

Team so far:
Couture
Letang
Seabrook

jopo
Jan 29, 2007

Sorry guys, I had softball right after work. I'm taking Plekanec I'll do a writeup later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jopo
Jan 29, 2007

mennoknight posted:

Yep, gamble I was taking, definitely mulled this over during the night. I thought it would be more likely to see a run on goalies, and the drop off in terms of quality in net was going to be much steeper than the drop off I'd see up front.

I can't believe Anderson didn't even occur to me, would have taken him over Plekanec for sure :(

• Locked thread