Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm in. I'll take the Blackhawks (or whoever, I'm not fussy with the teams left).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
In as Chicago.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Are we gauging success in any way or is this more a long conversation about players and team building philosophies?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

mennoknight posted:

"I need an imaginary thing to tell me how good my imaginary team is."

How about we pick teams then talk about who has the best and worst teams and why certain teams are good and some are lovely? This is going to be fun, and who gives a rip what EA simulates?

This is a good and correct post. Especially since we're picking farm systems (to an extent) as well.

In any case, let's talk philosophy. I want Chicago to be competitive immediately, with a window of 3-4 years during which a cup might be possible. I'm a big believer in the importance of size, speed (more so for forwards), and demonstrated playoff experience / performance. The emphasis would be on a strong, aggressive forecheck and net drive and the ability to cycle down low rather than a pure possession game. Shot quality is nice but pure number of shots (and attempts) is more important. This team may score a lot but they wouldn't be pretty.

Goaltending is a mix of luck and clutch. Playoff and single tournament performance is even more important here.

Salary structure will change based on who is available, but this is a cap team immediately, with some expiring contracts, but a limited number of guys looking for big raises. The farm system will operate similarly to the goals stated above. Emphasis will be on low risk prospects where possible. Prospects will likely be older and the intent will be to have them replace second and third liners, not the top guys.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Stamkos is carried by St. Louis. :colbert:

Nah not really. He's probably the third best forward.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

eXXon posted:

I'm curious as to what you think Hall is going to do better than Stamkos because 'score goals' doesn't seem to be it. Hit more and be injured more or something?

Show up in the playoffs.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Spamtron7000 posted:

The thing is, since he can't trade a pick he needs to pick the player he wants now. If he wanted Taylor Hall there was no way he would get Taylor Hall at the end of the 2nd round.

Yeah. I'm ok with someone wanting to build their team around a guy who has two memorial cup MVPs and was an absolute monster in those playoff runs. I'm very excited to see what he can do with Edmonton if they finally make the playoffs in a few years.

e: VVVV or that.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 9, 2013

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
No harm in waiting to see how the first round shakes out before we go and change things.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Vigilance posted:

Karlsson is nasty but there's no way in hell he'll ever get 100 points unless the NHL does something silly with rule changes.

I don't know man. 78 points as a 22 year old isn't that far off from 100 at some point in your career. Unlikely but certainly possible.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Vigilance posted:

100 is absolutely insane. The best forwards in the league struggle to hit that number. Goalies and defense are just too good. It would take a ton of puck luck for Karlsson to get there.

Some years 100 is more achievable than others. Shifts in coaching and team philosophies as much as in rule changes. He scores 78 in one of the lowest scoring eras ever.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Honestly outside of Crosby and Karlsson (maybe Malkin and Stamkos) there are a whole lot of guys who are pretty much on par for me. Gonna get two franchise players picking 25th. Can't ask for more.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Austrian mook posted:

I'm worried about getting to the point where I'm looking up players because I'm out of people to pick...

Its a good reason to learn more about AHLers and depth guys. I'm looking forward to getting to the late rounds and nabbing the 200k AHL contract guys.

Also the pace is fine as long as we respect the 12 hours, but yeah missing your first pick isn't a great sign.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Did not see Quick going anywhere near this early.

His track record is that he's an about average starting goalie (meaning he is still very good) who had an exceptional 2011-2012 season. He is better than he is demonstrating this year, but nowhere near as good as he was in last year's playoffs. That being said, he won a cup while playing lights out and earned that Conn Smythe. Hopefully the next few years of his career don't mirror Cam Ward's.

e: Goalie picks this early seem risky as poo poo to me. You know that PPG forwards and stalwart defensemen will still be pretty good even in bad years. With goalies though? Those careers go off the rails real quick.

Lundqvist is an exception. The guy is money. Best goalie in the league from September to April.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yep, most of my top 5 goalies are still on the board. The only one taken so far is Lundqvist. I had Price around 6 or 7. Love the guy, but his numbers don't show me that he's a top 5 goalie (nor do I see it when I watch him play). He is a workhorse though. It does mean you don't need to really shore up with a backup, which is a nice luxury to have.

I'm curious to see how the rest of the goalies shake out. I'm always so leery going early on them in fantasy drafts; even when I do take them early it just seems so difficult to gauge how they're valued.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Twin Cinema posted:

I think Price's age and contract work in his favour in a draft like this. He is only 25, so there's that allure that he's either is gonna get better or maintain his level of play. And, while he has the third largest cap hit for a goalie, it at least takes him through until he is 30. Everyone within a million and a half of him are older, and some have even longer deals.

I have no issue with his contract. I'm fine paying goalies who play 65 games, which Price can easily do. His age definitely does work in his favour, but I think he's past the period where he'll make large improvements to his game, so essentially you're banking on many more years of what he brings now. And what he brings now is very good, but there are guys who I think bring more. My #1 goalie is still on the board. I assume he'll be gone before I pick at 25, but if he's not I'll have a really tough decision to make.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

i am not so sure posted:

On all day, doesn't pick, now offline. Consensus pick time. Kinda disappointing.

The Ducks select Ryan Getzlaf.

Even though his contract is really heavy, aside from last year he's consistently played a mean game and finished a PPG player. He's only 27 and has all the makings of a cornerstone #1 center.

Alright, T-Bone, just pick him.

Good player, was on my list. No obvious picks at this stage.

Hefty contract, but he shows up in the playoffs.

e: Seguin is a beast. I'd love to watch him in a different system, on a different team.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

the talent deficit posted:

before we announce our pick we'd like to address the rumours this franchise has been sold to an investment group from seattle. as we've explained in the past the nhl is commited to the cities of phoenix and glendale and there is no sale or move in process

we're proud to select a young man who will be an ambassador to the community and the focus of our marketing in the state of arizona for years to come: jamie benn

This is a very good pick I hate you. Might have made mine easier at least. Come on down Nashville.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The Blackhawks are happy to select the soon to be widely acclaimed best goalie in the league, Tuuka Rask.

The only reason Rask hasn't been a starter for the last two years is because he played behind a guy who put up one of the greatest goaltending seasons of all time. He lost his starter's job after putting up ridiculously good regular season numbers but only pretty good playoff numbers in his first real season. Since then he's been a model citizen, sitting behind a great goalie and honing his craft. His worst NHL season is a .918 save percentage. I'm not a huge believer in building with goaltenders, but there are some guys you make an exception for, and Rask is one of them.

Also he is a nutjob. Which is a positive quality in goaltenders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUVGz0MVyKI

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

T-Bone posted:

Hmmm interesting. Everyone is really going for youth right now with their first picks (outside of like Datsyuk). I wonder when the franchise veterans will start being taken.

OV, Parise and Getzlaf are all 27-28. That's several years past an elite forward's "peak" years (23-24). They're firmly entrenched as veterans.

I don't think the real "vets" will start going until much later. Nobody builds around guys who are trailing off. Except Calgary.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Benn is a monstrous playoff performer who has put up close to PPG as a 21-23 year old on a not very good series of Dallas teams.

Seriously though, his playoff stats in the CHL and AHL (as a 20 year old rookie)... though admittedly one who had played in the NHL already) are absurd.

Also my pick was between Rask and Staal. If he wasn't in Carolina Staal would get so much more hype (he gets a lot anyway).

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Austrian mook posted:

Sorry about that guys, I was at work and I didn't check this thread before I left. I was hoping to grab Weber but I'd probably have gone with Getz as he was taken. Also, who was it that said an offense mans prime was 22-25? That seems kind of silly. Perhaps with a speed based player but Getz has just recently started to really come together and I couldn't be happier with this pick.

Its a bit older than I thought. I was sure I had seen 24 somewhere, but this article indicates 25. http://buddbailey.blogspot.ca/2012/07/peak-performance.html?m=1

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I like Logan but man... Seems early.

Kane was definitely early. I just don't see building around a winger who isn't even elite. And that contract is pretty high.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Fair enough. There are still guys on the board you can build around though. Seems early to get complementary players.

Anyway interesting to see. Better pace since last night let's keep it up.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yep, I value guys way differently I guess. There are a total of zero Jets players I would take in the first or even second round (well... would have taken Kane late second depending how it went).

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Given the other young goalies that have gone I like the Schneider pick.

Not better than Rask though. :colbert:

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 12, 2013

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Austrian mook posted:

No nobody has forgotten anyone and you should all pick the first player that comes to mind. You could all use grit! Better start setting up your 3rd line grinders! Who's drafting Raffi!?

gently caress Raffi. I hear there are 19 year old AHLers who barely make money at all! Those guys would be great first line centers. Just think of the savings!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Austrian mook posted:

I think he was the player most of us were talking about?

Not me, though Pietro is great and a solid choice. My fingers are still crossed that my guy comes back around.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Nash is a weird one but oh well.

Also lol at Bergeron as a top 10 pick.

I think Pietro at 30 and Karlsson at 5 were the best picks of the first round.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The biggest reaches in the first round were Hall (but not by much), Ladd and Quick. I understand Hall but those other two man. I think Datsyuk and Parise went early too but they wouldn't have come back around (same as Hall). Quick and Ladd probably both would have.

Not thrilled I went with a goalie but oh well. Next guy still may fall to me. 5 more to go.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

myron cope posted:

The only problem with Pietrangelo (and Tuuka) is that his contract is up this year. He's $3.16M now, but where does he go?

He is gonna get around what Karlsson did. A bit less maybe. Karlsson's contract, BTW, is a steal even at 6.5 or whatever. He really hurt his fellow young d men by setting a ceiling for them.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Austrian mook posted:

I'd say Kopitar was also a pretty big reach. There were better players in his position still on the board.

I think he is better than any center picked after him (considering age and contract), so I disagree. A bit early but not if you wanted to draft an elite first line center with your first round pick.

There are a couple guys still on the board though who are going to be huge steals no matter when they go now.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

canuckanese posted:

That doesn't make any sense to me since his age, contract, and points are virtually identical to Backstrom. Tootin my own pick here.

Kopitar plays a more physical game.

But you're right, just like in every fantasy draft from the last two years, everyone forgot about Backstrom.

Backstrom has been disapointing in the playoffs though. Kopitar had not. I'd rather Kopitar.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Crosby is probably not a good example... He's on another level compared to his peers. Malkin vs Stamkos. (I take Malkin).

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'd rather have Letang than Pietroangelo (right now and next year too, maybe not 4 years from now). Love the pick.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Verviticus posted:

there's been literally 0 people saying a thing about me picking keith. do people just not remember that he's still alive

A thing: he's expensive. ______ and _______ are still on the board.

I thought he'd drop further because of it. A pretty safe pick though. No issue with it at all.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Vigilance posted:

Personally I'd have taken Letang over Keith, but I don't think you can go wrong with either and I'm also a huge Letang homer. I think he might be the best five on five defenseman in the NHL in terms of transition offense. Karlsson is definitely much better than him on the powerplay, though. That to me is Letang's biggest flaw because he's fantastic in every other situation.

Karlsson is far and away the best ES defenseman in terms of offense.

(He had more ES points than Letang had total points last year.)

e: yeah I know Letang was injured and had a stunning year. Karlsson had 50 ES points though. That number is nuts.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 13, 2013

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

VJeff posted:

Aaaauaugh I was hoping Doughty and Bergeron would drop. :(

I'm next, right? Snaking drafts are confusing.

Yep. You then me.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

VJeff posted:

Okay, I'll effortpost once the Wings/Hawks game is over, but, I'm taking RW - Ilya Kovalchuk. Insanely talented, as a wise man once told me, a monster in all 3 zones. He eats minutes like Snorlax eats nachos. I almost took him with my first round pick before going with Staal because the length of Kovy's contract spooked me a bit (and I wanted a center), but he basically just fell into my lap by dropping this far and I'm not gonna turn my nose up at that, crazy-long contract or no.

Great pick. Even better because you made my choice for me.

There are active 7 players in the NHL with 500+ points who have managed to maintain a PPG pace. Kovalchuk was #7 on that list. My pick, Jason Spezza, is #6.

Sadly, because of his back issues he's only good for ~70 games a year on average, but during those 70 games, he is one of the best centers in the league. He's also a fantastic playoff player, maintaining his PPG pace in the playoffs.

I'm going to need center depth with Spezza, but I'm fine with that. (Maybe this is the surgery that fixes him and lets him dress for entire seasons at a time? :sigh:)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
uh...

we won't all be spending to the cap?

There isn't enough salary out there for us to all spend to the cap.

We're drafting the entire NHL playerbase here guys.

Also RNH and Seguin is a loving weird 1-2 combo and I don't like it at all. (I like the players, individually, I just think teams built around 20 year old centermen are going to be pretty poo poo for a couple years. They're not Malkin and Crosby either.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Austrian mook posted:

It might just be me but I think Suter was a bit of a steal to go as late as he did. A guy who's looking like a Norris contender, is 28 and signed forever? Not to mention he's just beginning to reach his peak years? I'd have taken him in front of almost any other D-man on the market. I might not have gotten him if we had lifted the ban and ThinkTank definitely wouldn't have gotten Pietrangelo.

His contract is stupid. He didn't go later than expected.

gently caress Corey Perry is a really good pick. Also a stupid contract though.

E: Also I thought for sure MaxPac would fall to the third or fourth round.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 13, 2013

• Locked thread