Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Okay I'm gonna pick Detroit and try really hard to not embarrass myself with my picks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
In as the Red Wings.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I agree to the rules.

But I don't know whether to hire Irate Jimmy Howard or Sarcastic Mike Babcock as my team's GM. :ohdear:

MJeff fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Apr 10, 2013

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
He's gonna get to open up on Buffalo, Florid and Tampa like six times a year starting next year, I wouldn't put anything outside the realm of possibility for Karlsson.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Carey is the first goalie pick, huh? I honestly expected a couple other goalies to go before him, but that's cool too. He's young, dude's a workhorse and he's really good. Contract's not great, but he's worth the price.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The Detroit Red Wings are very happy to be here and Mike Babcock in particular is the most excited he's been in weeks to make this pick.

I haven't been able to wipe this smile off my face all day.

With the 24th overall pick, the Detroit Red Wings select...C - Eric Staal.

Eric Staal is, by my measure, one of two main reasons why Carolina has been able to get any hold on to relevance they've had in the past several years, including their Stanley Cup victory in 2006, the other being...a guy I don't think I can mention by the rules of this thread 'cause he hasn't been drafted yet. Eric Staal has been nothing short of phenomenal in the playoffs over his career, scoring 43 points in 43 career games, including 28 points in 25 games in the Hurricanes' run to the Cup in '06. Save his rookie season, Staal has not once failed to score 70 or more points in a full NHL season (once managing a 100 point season in 05-06), which speaks greatly to his consistency and durability. He currently sits at 7th overall in points and is consistently averaging over 20:00 TOI per game. He's an elite center, a two-way player, a leader, and he's still pretty young, at the age of only 28.

He does have a pretty huge contract, carrying an 8.25m cap hit until 2015-16. The contract initially gave me pause, but if you want elite talent, you gotta pay for it, and Staal is worth every dollar.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and he's Triple Gold. Triple Gold players own all of the bones.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

myron cope posted:

I don't know that I like the Eric Staal pick, but then again I don't know who else I would have gone with.

fake edit: no I found a couple guys. Still not a terrible pick or anything.

If you have PMs, I'd like to hear who. I had a couple of other guys I was considering alongside Staal, but I eventually went with my gut.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Aaaauaugh I was hoping Doughty and Bergeron would drop. :(

I'm next, right? Snaking drafts are confusing.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Okay, I'll effortpost once the Wings/Hawks game is over, but, I'm taking RW - Ilya Kovalchuk. Insanely talented, as a wise man once told me, a monster in all 3 zones. He eats minutes like Snorlax eats nachos. I almost took him with my first round pick before going with Staal because the length of Kovy's contract spooked me a bit (and I wanted a center), but he basically just fell into my lap by dropping this far and I'm not gonna turn my nose up at that, crazy-long contract or no.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Austrian mook posted:

So Kovalchuck can just be double shifted so you need one less forward right? :v:

It's not drafting hard. It's drafting smart. :pseudo:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
OEL's legit as hell. There's maybe one or two defenseman I'd take ahead of him but at that age and cap hit, it's a great pick.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Austrian mook posted:

Both of those players Karlson.

Thinking about it, I'm pretty sure I'm dead wrong on one of them, but either way, I'll say who they were once they're picked.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Austrian mook posted:

Now I get to decide wether or not I should go with a forward or a goalie next.

The Red Wings Sez: If you draft elite defense and two-way forwards, you don't need to pony up big for a goalie.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Oh, man, yeah, Chara's a great pick.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
In my completely unbiased opinion, this is the best pick so far in this draft. Rutkowski is a genius among men.

So are we going with his current contract that has him as a UFA or the one that everybody knows he's gonna sign and has already agreed to, but hasn't been officially finished yet?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

canuckanese posted:

Was thinking about Zetterberg too. Rough that he's signed until 2021 though for a cap hit over 6 million, especially since he's 32. Good piece for a win-now style team though. Depends how he ages I suppose.

His point production will drop, but he's an a-freaking-mazing two-way player who would've won the Selke by now if some douchebag on his team weren't constantly stealing his votes.

And for what it's worth, he's playing his best hockey in YEARS right now, because he's finally had enough time to get back to 100%, what with the Wings bombing out in the first round and the lockout.

Also, :lol: that stab is gonna pull this off. I honestly thought there was no chance of that happening at the start of this draft.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

T-Bone posted:

I hope Vjeff drafts another pure offense forward his team owns

E.Staal and Kovy don't count as two-way forwards? :(

Fake edit: Oh crap, didn't realize it was my turn. Gimme two shakes.

Real Edit: With the 58th pick in this draft, the Detroit Red Wings are proud to select LW/RW - Dustin Brown

I just freakin' love everything about this guy. He's probably most well-known for being an absolute cannon ball on the ice, throwing some big, devastating hits. In his own words, "This is just what I do. I hit people." Most famously, he absolutely rocked the world of one H. Sedin one year ago in a first round playoff series, knocking the wind out of him so thoroughly, he was unable to get back to his bench for a good 5-10 seconds. And despite playing this same way since he came into the NHL full-time in 2005, he's never been made to go through supplemental discipline by the Department of Player Safety and he's never played fewer than 78 games in a full NHL season. Right now he's riding a bit of an iron man streak, playing in every game for the Kings since the start of the 09-10 season. He's also really, really, really good at pissing people on the other team off. Vets, rookies, whatever, he seems to be able to get under everybody's skin and make them take the dumbest penalties. Finally, he's also pretty good at that whole "playing hockey" thing. He's able to both generate offense for his team and kill penalties, sometimes both at the same time - during the Kings' legendary 2011-12 run to the cup, it seemed like this guy (and Anze Kopitar) would never stop scoring shorthanded goals. He just does a little bit of everything and he does it really well. Also, he's pretty drat young (28) and has a good contract (3.175 hit for another year).

And this is a much more intangible kind of thing, but I feel like he has a tendency to get really hot at exactly the right time. When the Kings' were slumping last year, and rumors of trading Brown were abundant, he began absolutely ripping it up, starting off with a hattrick that rather emphatically said "Shut up, I'm not going anywhere." and then keeping the beat going with a PPG playoff showing and a hell of a lot of important goals and assists that had him eventually doing this:

MJeff fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 17, 2013

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Oh man, I like that pick, especially in a pairing with Doughty. That's a lot of open-ice murder + offensive power.

i am not so sure posted:

That first line is just terrifying

It'd better be, between all the d-men I passed up and all the money I've sunk into it. :v:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Spamtron7000 posted:

Skinner is good but he's also a whiny little bitch. I've never seen anyone cry more about dumb poo poo.

He's also literally 20.

Like, jesus, he's three years younger than me.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Verviticus posted:

thats less than jimmy howard.

Except for the part where that's not true, like, at all.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Stanley Cups won as a backup:
Cory Schneider: 0
Jimmy Howard: 1

QED. :smugbert:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
On the bright side, I think I have the best team out of all the guys who have only drafted forwards so far. :v:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Pfff, I totally forgot Big Buff can play as a winger.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Somebody tell me what's wrong with this.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The Detroit Red Wings draft D - Mike Green.

He's already proven himself to be an elite offensive defenseman, scoring over 70 points twice. In the two years since then, he's had some serious injury trouble, going so far as to miss 50 games last year. Some people said reckless play led to him getting injured and now he's not the player he was anymore. I really like what I'm seeing out of him this year, however, which is enough for me to take a chance on his contract (6.083 for three years). Will he hit 70 points again? Seems like a long shot. But only being at the age of 27, I think there's a hell of a lot of good hockey left in this guy.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

canuckanese posted:

Not as sure about Green, but VJeff has a pretty terrifying offense so far when you factor him in and it's not like he's stuck with him for a long period of time.

Swear to god, when I first started this, I thought I'd be picking a group of proven responsible defensive players, with an emphasis on two-way forwards and strong D, y'know, sorta like the real Red Wings.

But, uh, nope. ALL OF THE OFFENSE, apparently.

EDIT: I like the JVR pick. Guy's young, talented, and signed to a good deal for a very long time. Gaborik/Backstrom/JVR is a drat good first line and you've also got an elite defender in the mix, so, yeah, I really like the combination of youth and talent in canuckanese's team so far.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 18, 2013

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Austrian mook posted:

If you think they were bad, look at who they were playing! :v:

I don't know that the Brins offense is bad, it's just deep. Like LAs. They don't have superstars or anyone winning offensive awards but they're strong down the middle and dominate play because they work as a unit and are well coached.

I mean yeah, their power play was awful during their cup run, but it's a little hard to call an offense with [SOME DUDES] bad.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 19, 2013

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Shoeonhead22 posted:

VJeff your post contains some dudes I want

I have brought shame upon my house. :(

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Thufir posted:

Flyers? I don't think Zetterberg usually plays C.

Kings?

He's a natural C and is usually at that position, when he plays with Datsyuk, which is reasonably often, he plays LW.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Habibi posted:

Yo yo yo

Thread can only go downhill from here.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Apr 19, 2013

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

mentholmoose posted:

The Flyers will be playing Zetterberg at center since good centers are pretty hard to come by.

Pfff. You'll be moving him to Datsyuk's wing eventually, everyone does. :colbert:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

canuckanese posted:

You guys need to chill out with naming players that aren't drafted yet. Maybe we can get the thread title changed so everyone remembers.

:doh:

I think people also need to chill out with being dicks about it. It's not like people are doing it intentionally.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Shoeonhead22 posted:

Arg I'm on my way out but I take Matt Moulson. Dude is good at hockey and looks like he does heroin. I'll be playing him LW and he has a 3,133,333 caphit until 2013-2014

Thank you for not letting him drop, I would've been forced to pick him. :(

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
What is this, the fantasy draft and brag about our kids thread?! :argh:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

the talent deficit posted:

anytime you can select someone who looks like he could be a supervillian in a marvel movie i think you have to do it so i'm selecting adam henrique

Come to me, son of Jor-el, kneel before Zod!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'm just gonna say this about Campbell, and one of the reasons I almost took him last round. He's a Lady Byng winner. Which I think, for a d-man, says a lot about the way you play, i.e., without taking stupid penalties that hurt your team, while still doing your job. He's had over 30 PIM a grand total of once in his career.

Ultimately, his contract spooked me, especially since I'd dumped so much into Kovy and Staal already, but I really like the way the guy plays.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Whoops, I thought Jordan7hm hadn't picked yet, sorry!

Alright. With the 145th pick of this draft, the Detroit Red Wings select D - Roman Josi from the Nashville Predators.

This one is a little hard for me to explain. I just have a gut feeling about this guy. I was watching earlier this year when he had a 4-point night against the Stars and I've seen him against the Red Wings enough times to understand that Trotz has good reason to trust this guy to eventually fill the gap left by Ryan Suter.

With Josi and Green, I feel like the Red Wings have a foundation for a strong, young defense with great offensive upside.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Twin Cinema posted:

I leave for the day, and some sleepers that I hoped would fall to me, like Josi, have already been taken.

Haaaaaa, glad to know my gut that he wouldn't last much longer was right. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
AUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH I wanted Purcell I thought he'd slip a little further you horse fuckers I hate you.

• Locked thread