Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Basically and maybe I'm giving my strategy away but it's probably pretty obvious - I think taking these great young players on ELCs/second contracts will allow me to take some of the better veterans with questionable contracts as this goes on. If I was just doing BPA I would have probably taken Kovalchuk (can't believe he fell as far as he did) over Seguin, and three or four guys who are probably about to be picked over RNH.

This might gently caress me over because while not every team is a cap team in the NHL, every team in this draft will be, so maybe I won't be able to pounce on the Bryzgalovbutgoods of the world and end up with a Tambellini special. But the hope is I'll have a more balanced team than other managers who are taking in 15m+ with their first two picks.

At any rate I'm pretty sure I'll have the most cap space after these first two rounds.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Apr 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
It says it at the bottom of the spreadsheet, but you can use http://capgeek.com/ too

e: And yeah I don't think I completely settled with Seguin/RNH. I think they will both turn into elite players which at least gives me hope for the future -- but hopefully I can still manage to surround them with some good veteran talent because of my favorable cap situation. We'll see.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
He's gonna go soon. I thought about him at my pick but RNH seems like more of a sure thing.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
gently caress goalies

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

eXXon posted:

But there are 30 teams drafting and they can all spend to the cap. Total NHL cap hits are not nearly 70 million x 30 teams because at least 10 teams spend way under the cap. Expensive but good vets won't last 10 rounds because there will be 10 other teams waiting to pounce after 4 or 5.

I can make a Travis Zajac joke right now can't I? That couldn't possibly be construed as tampering.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
it is going to be weird when the Florida Panthers are a dynasty in 2016, very weird indeed

e: Seguin/RNH aren't Crosby/Malkin, but they could be Toews/Kane.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Apr 13, 2013

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Vigilance is around too, so we should get at least another 3 in tonight. Haibbi is the Kings GM and he got consensused in the first round so that may finish it for tonight.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
new favorite core is Chara/Lundqvist that's gotta be the early cup favorite

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Who's up right now? Montreal (stab)?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Subban and Semin in the same locker room. Owns.

Datsyuk and Kessel on the guys who don't look like hockey players line

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Thufir and Da Hawks on the board.

e: what he said

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Everyone says he's a massive rear end in a top hat off the ice but I love the rear end in a top hat he is on the ice and the liberties he takes on any player within arm range. He and Patty Kane will make for another interesting locker room.

Spamtron7000 and the Caps be on the clock. Does Ovi need a Backstrom-like to thrive?!

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Was thinking Huey might fall back down to me. He's really fun to watch and does something every game that is worth the price of admission (which in Florida is about five dollars but STILL).

He and Ovi would be an interesting pairing. That's kind of a Semin-Ovi thing.

Drunk Canuck and the Wild on the clock.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Lundqvist/Chara and E.Staal/Kovalchuk are still my favorite duos, but I also like Backstrom/OEL and Malkin/McDonagh quite a bit.

Duchene/Doughty is underrated. Don't agree with the folks hating on that.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Wow. That is really early for Fowler imo

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Ryan is an excellent pick. Was hoping to get him in the 3rd.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Loui Eriksson is another really solid pick. I had he and Ryan near the top of my board this round.

e: Malkin/McDonagh/Eriksson is a sick core. Nicely done.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Backes can play anywhere up front. I wanted him with my 3rd rounder. Nice pick.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
It's incredible how long Zetterberg lasted, long contract or not. I was starting to harbor secret hopes that he'd fall to me.

e: And stab's pick should be pretty loving easy I think.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
sedins + price is pretty drat good

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

eXXon posted:

No worse than Sedins + that other goalie guy I'm sure.

Schneider has already been picked :)

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
This is one hell of a deliberation.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I don't think that's a bad pick at all. He may not be a PPG guy, but he's going to be a really good player for a lot of years.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Lundqvist/Chara/MSL and he'll probably get a pretty decent center with his next pick. Tough team to beat in the short run.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I had both of those guys going in the 3rd or early 4th so I like the picks, I'm just not sure I would have taken either of them.

They're both so...boring.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

*smiles*

*smiles wider*

*grimaces*

With the 80th overall pick, the Florida Panthers are proud to select, out of Baden bei Wein, Austria Thomas Vanek.

We feel that with two excellent young centers already in the fold, this player is the perfect fit for our franchise. Thomas, Ryan and, Tyler should form a deadly powerplay in South Florida. There will be no picture because no one is bigger than the team.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 16, 2013

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Yes, the contract is a quite a bit, but I didn't take on much salary in the first two rounds, and there simply aren't many other players on the board that can do what Vanek does (actually I count just one, and I prefer Vanek over him).

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I'm here to put asses in the seats. Seguin, RNH, and Vanek are worth your Floridian's ten dollars (literally ten dollars, that's what we charge for admission).

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Stepan was in the group of guys I was considering. He and Benn are an interesting pairing. Stepan is enjoying a lot of success with Nash who does a lot of the things that Benn does.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
There are some wingers I like better than Stepan/M.Richards still on the board, but if I was in a position to absolutely have to draft a center they're solid picks. There's maybe one center I for sure like better than both of them, and I suspect he'll go extremely soon.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Gaborik was my #2 or 3 if Vanek got picked. One of the last (if not the last) elite goal scorers on the board.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
He was better last year, but one of the main knocks against Carter in Philly was his disappearing act in April.

e: Also technically we're drafting for the start of a hypothetical full season in 12-13 so a lot of those ages on the spreadsheet are a year off.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 16, 2013

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Like the Krejci pick, although there's still one center out there I like a little more than all of these dudes.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
You guys will probably disagree with me when he's picked -- but I think he brings a little more to the table than the rest of these centers (although it's close enough that it's really team build/personal taste).

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I hope Vjeff drafts another pure offense forward his team owns

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
like those three picks but my mystery dude is still on the board

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Chairman Wao posted:

Well someone sited hockeydb as a source for position, and it along with numerous other sites have him listed as a center. Someone earlier took Benn as a winger, and he's a center, so y'know.

Well I mean, you can play him wherever you want. But part of this is us saying hey your team might suck cause Skinner is better on the wing than in the middle.

e: Verviticus is up, and yeah it's only 8:40 am PST. Give the man some time he said he'd be back to make the pick today.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

i am not so sure posted:

All I asked was who had next pick.

Slavedriver.

e: Quick question for later in the draft. We are allowed to sign players playing in the CHL but signed to entry level contracts, correct?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
my dude is still there. starting to harbor vague hopes that he'll make it back to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Verviticus posted:

Picking Joe Pavelski, signed at 4m a year for two more years. can play centre, can play wing, does everything pretty well or something or other

This is the guy who is better than all the other guys

• Locked thread