Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Infidel Castro posted:

I'm not really partial to any remaining team, so if an actual Habs fan wants them, take 'em. I'll let random.org decide it for me.

And the winner is....The San Jose Sharks

drat you. I wanted the Sharks. Well, if you're really going with them and they're not available, I guess I'll take the LA Kings so I can build a team of the best looking people in hockey. We will win games by making opponents cripplingly self-conscious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Austrian mook posted:

Why would you pick the Kings for that?

Los Angeles stereotypes.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Confirming as the beautificent Los Angeles Kings. 'We get all the ladies' is our philosophy in life and on the ice.

E: scratch previous statements; didn't see that the rules had been updated. I'm all good.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 8, 2013

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

The scrum-diddly-umptious Los Angeles Kings and all of your ladies agree to the rules.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Zdeno Chara? Zdeno Chara? Well gently caress Zdeno Chara, because with the 46th pick the Los Angeles Kings would like to select Max Pacioretty. LF / 24 / $4.5 caphit 2013+

Dig it.

Alright, Max Pacioretty is not really Superman...

...or is he?

We may never know for sure, but I do have it on good authority that the guy is a loving cyborg, replete with an adamantium skeleton, and adamantium organs, and adamantium genitalia. Max may have made a successful comeback following the hit by Chara, but the pylon he was slammed into remains in a coma. :(

In any case, Max has been putting up great numbers the last few years on a team not exactly noted for its offensive prowess or mindset, and doing it without particularly spectacular linemates. He's a smart player who is great at both ends of the ice, has good size, and in high school was voted most likely to survive a nuclear apocalypse. He's also very young (24) and has what I think is a completely undervalued contract carrying a $4.5M caphit just about through the end of the decade, making him IMO an excellent forward around which to build a team that will be competitive both immediately and, perhaps even more so, in the long term.

Plus, I did say we were going to get all the ladies...

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Shoeonhead22 posted:

Oh man I can't believe these 2 guys haven't been drafted yet

There were a good half dozen guys I was debating between. Interesting to when they get picked up.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Jordan7hm posted:

E: Also I thought for sure MaxPac would fall to the third or fourth round.

Honestly, I didn't want to risk waiting. There are arguably better offensive forwards available right now, but the way I see it, he's a total package, sort of poor man's Toews-ish type of player. He may not have exhibited the same offensive upside, but he's also not surrounded by the same all-star level of talent as is Toews. Yet, despite that, for the last 3 seasons (this one included) he has kept up an almost equivalent scoring pace, which I think is bloody impressive given his linemates probably can't even be named by most non-Habs fans. In other words, although he may not be a flashy player, I know I can rely on him to produce regardless of whom I line him up with. I feel like everything that goes for Logan Couture goes for Max Pac, excepting that Couture is more of a sniper. Plus he's physical, and he's good defensively, and he can survive physical trauma that would break most bigger men. And he's signed forever with a cap hit that won't add too much pressure on top of Weber, so I will hopefully have greater flexibility later on to round out the roster. With a franchise defensemen already signed for the rest of my life, I thought he was one of the best somewhat proven young forwards available.

I actually almost went for a super young offensive would-be phenom who is already extended well past his ELC, but who's salary and cap hit is highly questionable, IMO. And then almost went for one of two young, more proven snipers, but both play with elite playmakers who almost certainly affect their performance. And I clearly can't rely on that since most such playmates have long since been picked, so I felt a more all around talent would be the better pick for a team that is unlikely to get the opportunity to stock itself with complementary offensive assets.

E: and now that he's been picked, Neal was one of the two aforementioned young snipers I considered. But while his numbers and contract are sweet, he does play with this guy named Malkin and on a powerplay comprised of some of the best offensive talent in the league. In a draft like this, where it's really difficult to stack your team like that, I just confident enough of his abilities outside of such an environment.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 14, 2013

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Twin Cinema posted:

You're right, he doesn't. Like, he has, but Crosby is frequently playing with Dupuis and Kunitz. Either way, you can replace Malkin in my previous post.

Yeah, as I said in my edit, this is why I held off on him. Likewise, though he scored 40 last year, almost half (18) were on the powerplay, where you can be pretty sure he gets time with the law firm of Crosby, Malkin, Letang, et al.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

canuckanese posted:

Ok I'm back from a weekend of debauchery. Really enjoyed catching up with the thread. Some thoughts:

1. Pacioretty is a weird pick. I thought about grabbing him but he's had a 30 goal season exactly once and hasn't really lit up the world offensively ever in his career at any level. Still a good forward to have at a nice price, but there are better scorers available.
On the other hand, he scored 30 goals in his only full season, and was on a pace for 30 before Chara pyloned him. And again, he doesn't exactly have Neal's supporting cast, and is actually younger and cheaper. So, as far as I'm concerned, Patches has been flying under the radar.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Paulocaust posted:

Uh, he'll be getting breakout passes 5 on 5 and fed on the PP from Erik Karlsson on my team, so I don't see how his production will be going down.

Uh, okay. But he's not the best skater so your breakout passes to him have every chance of not getting you through the neutral zone. Conversely, his bread and butter are quick passes in the offensive zone (like most snipers). Karlsson is great and I'm sure he and Neal would make a great pair, but Karlsson is no Crosby/Malkin/Letang rolled into one, so yeah I wouldn't expect his production to continue at its current pace. In any case, I think Neal needs a forward playmaker to thrive. Just IMO.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 14, 2013

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

E: ^^^ loving probably not too god drat much the way this draft is going, which just makes it that much more important to find guys who can produce without surrounded by equal or better talent.

Paulocaust posted:

Way ahead of you, brother.
Hehe, that's certainly one way of looking at it.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 14, 2013

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Paulocaust posted:

Are any of them 25, locked up for the next 6 years at 5m per? I feel like I'm getting poo poo on for this pick when it's a pretty good one. Maybe I'm just crazy.

It's a good pick and what looks to be a great contract. Like I said, I came very close to taking him a number of selections ago. But there are legitimate points to be made, like the fact that he is playing on a team that can make loving Dupuis and Kunitz look like real first line players, which is god damned astounding if you ask me.

40 goals is a hell of an achievement. But playing with some of the beat guys in the world is going to inflate your stats. From what I have actually seen of Neal, he has an incredible shot, but lacks the hands and mobility to make him an individual threat, IMO. And this is logically consistent with his production trends and the concerns people had about him playing away from Malkin/etc...

So while I think it's a good pick, the reason I passed him up was because I know I'm not going to be able to provide really anywhere close to the mix of talent that he's benefited from, and as a result I'm just not sure enough he'd be able to take full advantage of his skillet, nor that I as the GM would see the full benefit of it.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

I think it's now my turn, but I haven't had a chance to catch up with today's moves yet, so I'll need to assess and probably won't be able to pick for a few hours. Just fyi.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Yes, yes, I'm just deliberating since a few of my possible choices were taken from me (and, yes, Captain Earth was one of them). I'm tormented, and the choice I'm leaning towards making is probably going to get the poo poo panned out of it, But oh wells. Gimme a few more minutes.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Hi, I'm Dean Lombardi.

You might remember me from such teams as I don't need you to remember poo poo because my name is on this loving thing:

And seeing as I'm still drunk, with their third round pick the Los Angeles gently caress yeah cup winners motherfuckers Kings would like to select, wait for it....Nazem Kadri.

Yes. That's right.

Nazem Kadri, 22 years old, playing his first full NHL season, is averaging just about a PPG (41 in 42) and is on a pace that would see him score 30+ goals during a full-length season. He's doing this on a team that is either good or deceptively non-lovely, depending on whom you ask, yet without any consistent big name linemates or even a whole lot, relatively speaking, of playing time (just over 16 minutes/game, with about 2 of that being on the PP). He's in the last year of an ELC that's paying him $1.7m, but I think I could sign him to a pretty reasonable new contract by playing hardball on the basis of "small body of work."

Okay. On with the show. I know a lot (all) of you are probably thinking things along the lines of, "What the gently caress?" and "He's on an extended hot streak blah blah blah" and "his PDO is over 1000" and "His shooting percentage is insanely unsustainable" and "Seriously, dude, what the gently caress?" and "Hahahahahaha." And that's fine, I know this is a pretty huge gamble, and I know his numbers may/will prove to some degree or another unsustainable. But, still, bear with me...

I did a little research, and going back to the lockout, there hasn't been a player who has scored anywhere close to a PPG at around Kadri's age (whether it was their first full-length season or not) who hasn't - barring injury and other unforeseeable events - panned out well and satisfactorily fulfilled the expectations such an achievement might set. We're talking guys like Tavares, Benn, Giroux, and so on. If you narrow the criteria even further to include those who've managed 30 or more goals, you're looking at guys like (in part) the Kanes (both of them), Eric Staal, Stamkos, and Toews. Granted, all of these guys had established more impressive bodies of pre-NHL work than Kadri and were all highly touted prospects (though Kadri going IIRC 7th overall is no slouch in that respect, certainly), but the way I see it - an ability to put up that many points at that young an age in the NHL is an ability to put up that many points in the NHL at that young an age. And even if you're not a top-3 pick, despite the possibility of crashing down to statistical earth, that ability seems to correlate really well with similar levels of continued success, even stardom. Hell, in my research, the guy whose performance and shooting percentage most closely resembled Kadri's, before regressing to more normal levels, since the lockout, was Jordan Eberle last year. And he was taken like a dozen rounds ago.

So I see at least as bright a future for this kid as I do a number of other youngsters taken well above him, and as a result am not going to risk him dropping further because I think he can be a franchise player and I can get him for dirt loving cheap. The guy is 22 years old, is playing relatively few minutes (incidentally: the last guys to be in the top-30 in scoring while pacing around 30 or more goals despite playing less than 16.5 minutes were Joe Nieuwendyk [39g] and Petr Sykora[29g]), and he's doing a kick-rear end job of it and not like over 10 or even 20 games, but over the equivalent of half a season in a season where everyone is playing just that little bit harder every game. And he's only 22. And making $1.7M. I'm passing over at least one really quality center for this, but in terms of value, potential, and leaving myself options down the line, I think it's absolutely loving worth it.

Well. This should be interesting.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Apr 16, 2013

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Jordan7hm posted:

You are a gently caress and that's an awesome pick.

Further to all the good stuff you talked about, there's also the fact he was dominant in the OHL playoffs and was just shy of PPG during the Marlies' run last year.

e: Not just the playoffs Kadri was really good in junior. His final year he was one of the best players in the league.
Dat stat line: 56 games played 35-58-93 with 105 PIMs to boot (yeah yeah PIMs aren't a good thing or whatever. In the NHL Kadri also draws penalties at a very good rate.)

Oh, yes, I meant to mention that he has been a playoff monster. Even his AHL run, while not as spectacular as his OHL performances, was still a step above his regular season pace that year. And I place additional importance on that because, again, he's so drat young. Some guys need to learn how to step their game up. Being naturally inclined to that is a big thing, as far as I'm concerned.

E: Yes his last year was great, but those last three years were all on a pretty steeply yet consistently rising trend (going 65->78->93). When I was originally looking into him, I suspected that he might be playing pretty sheltered minutes, but he's sort of middle of the pack, and his O-zone starts are actually around 48% while his finishes are around 51%. Again, being that he's 22, as a GM I'm basically praying/relying on this guy becoming my first line center, because that'd be just swell.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Apr 16, 2013

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

E: ^^^ I thought I'd get poo poo for it because there're a lot of fancy stats guys on here (hell, I like them, too) and I know what is and isn't considered sustainable and I expected I'd get a lot of, "Really? After just X games? Even when that one guy - you know the guy I'm talking about, everybody does, he is THE guy - is still available." But I figured I had pretty good reasons and if nothing else, it'd make for a lively discussion. :)

Jordan7hm posted:

Yep. I was really hoping he'd get to me. I thought Paulocaust would take him, but that once we were past that I might be in the clear.

Actually, I was half-expecting Paulocaust to grab him the round he took Neal (and Neal was the guy I almost took over MaxPac). So things worked out pretty well, as far as I'm concerned.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Apr 16, 2013

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Shoeonhead22 posted:

I was on the fence between Marchand and Kadri for my pick, I don't think he's a bad pick at all

Heh, I considered Marchand for both of my last two picks (he wasn't like top-3, but he came up), but man I just can't stand that smarmy motherfucker so much that I'd have to write some sort of 'no talking and don't even look in my direction' clause into his contract, and I'm not sure the CBA allows for that.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

eXXon posted:

I didn't think people really bought in to the bullshit media narrative about Kadri but after seeing someone take 6 hours to decide that they should pick a 22 year old top prospect having a PPG season and then write a 3 page essay justifying their decision, I'm not so sure. Then again, Hockey's Future did omit Kadri from their list of top 50 prospects the last time he was eligible but those lists are notoriously terrible.
Uh, ha ha, what you have to understand is that I live in the hockey mecca that is San Jose, California. We don't have a bullshit media narrative on Kadri. We don't have A media narrative on Kadri, or most hockey. And since I had to research him on my own as a result, my main concern was that even top prospects can flame out, and a good year is not a sure prediction of future success. So I truly thought this would be at least a little controversial and felt I needed to explain why, in this case, I didn't think his current performance was just a flash in the pan.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

i am not so sure posted:

So, this was tough and I prayed for Zetterberg. But my pick is going to be John Carlson. Dude has a $3.9m hit through 2018. He kicks rear end this year and is, to me, a great choice this late for a first pairing defenseman who can get the puck up ice and contribute offensively.

Cool, I had him on my list for next round to possibly pair up with Shea Weber.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

eXXon posted:

Sorry but I'm pretty sure that every hockey fan everywhere must be aware of every aspect of the Toronto Maple Leafs organization. If not, I have several informative pamphlets and brochures which you must read.

One of my friends is a diehard Leafs fan whom I mock mercilessly. Does that count?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Thought about Skinner, but upside or not, for a guy as unproven I balked at taking such a huge contract.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

eXXon posted:

It's "what have you done for me lately" syndrome. Kind of like Eberle, except Skinner had a phenomenal rookie season followed by 1.5 seasons of declining production, a serious concussion and an NTC on his long term deal. He's also a winger and not a C.

Speaking of serious concussion, this just happened today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2A4Z2ikaHU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

e: f;b

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

canuckanese posted:

Well I'm interested in building a team that's young, but could still conceivably compete for a Cup in the immediate future as well as in the future, and it's hard to argue against a player like Skinner with that mindset.

His cap hit starting next year will be higher than, eg, Neal or Carter. If he doesn't develop to his potential, and so far his consistency has been questionable, that's a huge chunk of the team you want to be competitive in the short and long term tied up in an unproven commodity. And that's without touching on health.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Mozza, has that player been picked? May want to edit your post...

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Austrian mook posted:

No, he's been picked. I thought about Skinner but his big contract kind of had me thinking about other wingers first before settling with Carter because goals are fun.

I'm not talking about Skinner or Carter, and I just double checked the spreadsheet and that player has not yet been picked. Mozza... :argh:

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Vigilance posted:

I think I know who T-Bone is thinking of.

I think I know whom you think you know T-Bone is thinking off, but I don't think that's whom T-Bone is thinking of. :smug:

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

I'd be surprised if Voracek weren't on most/all of our radars.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Verviticus posted:

Picking Joe Pavelski, signed at 4m a year for two more years. can play centre, can play wing, does everything pretty well or something or other

You are a big jerk.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

the talent deficit posted:

i didn't know why everyone else was passing on him but i figured there was no way he was just forgotten and i didn't want to look stupid. stepan owns anyways

I considered him, but given his age couldn't justify taking him over Kadri as a first line C. Would have easily picked him later this round if he was still around, though.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

DOOP posted:

Thought Voracek would slip some more. Dude's a good player and all, but if he wasn't on the Flyers, I would never think of him

Pavelski is a good pick

Re: Voracek, the fact that he's been at a PPG or so pace should have at least caught everyone's eye if nothing else.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Jordan7hm posted:

I thought he might slip a bit more but I definitely had him on a shortlist. Not surprised he didn't make it back around.

It's not just his production. He's a big kid and a good skater.

Yeah, I understand - I just meant that because of his production, it's not likely anyone here managed to just overlook him.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Austrian mook posted:

Really great player, thought about picking him but with my pick, I'm going to draft Brent Burns. I spent a long time deliberating between a D-man or another winger and so, with this, I get both! :v:

If I manage to find another really good Defensemen later on, I can play him as the RW on my top line, and if to and I can find good wingers still around in the later picks (I don't pick again for a while) I play him on the other side from Suter, and what do you know, they're handedness matches up! Burns is a terrific offensive guy just settling into his prime and he's going to be super dominant no matter what. I considered a younger guy but with a very workable cap hit, along with being signed (like the rest of my players) for a, very, very long time, he's going to set me up with a 4 player core that are all either in or very soon to be in their prime and this is a core I really think can compete.

This now makes my team
Getzlaf
Suter
Carter
Burns

This is the guy I've wanted for a while actually, I'm really shocked to see the guys that were being picked over him and I really didn't think I was gonna get I'm here, shame on you SAS, letting me make a good team! :v:

gently caress. YOU. Argh. I can't believe it. I thought for sure he would fly under everyone's radar and fall to me in just a few picks. But nooooooo. You are a terrible person. The Ducks deserve you. :colbert:

:cry:

Habibi fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Apr 19, 2013

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Austrian mook posted:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha you're all playing into my hands, I even thought about mentioning him in the GDT but went against it because I didn't want to risk it. I think I'm enjoying this draft a little too much, still not sure whether to go winger or D though.
Oh yeah? Well your cap hit is already like 50 billion dollars. I know Suter could play probably 60 minutes. At this rate, you'd better hope all your other first liners can, too.

Hrmph.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Austrian mook posted:

Just wait until Burns-Suter ends up being my only defensive line with Burns double shifted on the first.

But imagine the beard, I wouldn't let him shave.

I know...my :effort: post for him was going to include a picture of Chewbacca. :(

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Austrian mook posted:

Sorry, but maybe now you can draft a pretty person! :v: we need him more (no we don't I'm just a dick)

It's all good. He would have just been a good complement to what I already have. But I will satisfy myself with a mental image of Weber breaking your dudes with point bombs.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Austrian mook posted:

Might just be my opinion but Getzlaf>Kadri :jerkbag:
Okay? Good for him.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Vigilance posted:

You probably don't. If they'd drafted one of those guys though they might have ended up being wingers, or not reaching their offensive potential playing as third line centers aka they'd want out just like Staal did.

That's what I tell myself at night anyways.

FWIW, I sort of agree with you. Staal is 24, and he's put up a bunch of 20 goal seasons playing on a third line behind two of the league's premier centers. In his last year with the Pens, he was on a pace for 60+ pts, easy, before getting hurt. I think if he is given a chance to develop as a top-2 center he'll improve and his production will be more along the lines of what is expected, if not more, than his contract. And on top of that he's great defensively.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Yo yo yo

My name's Dean Lombardi, with the LA Kings,
I'm in the business of forging Stanley Cup rings,
The youth movement gives me a literal hard-on,
So in this round we're hot to select Cody Hodgson.

This boy, he was dicked around by the Canucks,
He said, "Send me away - anywhere but the Ducks!"
Now he's back on the track and he's scoring some goals,
And he's young and doing it while playing multiple roles.

His potential is bursting, his ceiling is high,
He's certain to be a first-line-centering guy,
And he's coming off of an entry level contract,
So we'll be paying bargain rates to showcase his act.

Break it down!

(don't worry ladies - we haven't forgotten about you)

Cody Hodgson, 23, C, last year of an ELC with a 1.6m caphit

This was a really tough choice in terms of the direction I wanted to go with my team-building efforts, though I think the majority of choices from here on out will be really tough in this respect. I'm not really looking to draft a goalie until later on, so it's a decision between taking another high end or high end potential defenseman, or look to continue rounding out my core of forwards. There are a number of no really promising young d-men on the board, and more than a few zero aging but elite-in-their-prime veterans, and it's really tempting to grab one of them. But I feel, again, that drafting forwards earlier on is a better value, since you end up dressing more of them and need more of them to see significant ice time. Plus, with Weber already on the back end, that's like two defensemen right there.

I like Hogdson a lot. The Canucks really screwed his situation up, IMO (and in the opinion of most of CAS). He's a center with a ton of skill - great hands, great shot, and once-lambasted skating that he keeps improving every season. But he's not a sheltered one-trick pony. Fewer than half of his starts are in the offensive zone, and he plays pretty significant PK minutes. More, he was voted smartest player in his OHL conference three seasons running (including one where he played like 20 games or something), as well as best face-off man. Currently, he's not too far off a 30 goal pace playing on an umm, let's say unspectacular team, and I have plenty of confidence that he's going to hit that benchmark within a season or two, tops. In his best seasons in the OHL and before he got hurt and went through that Vancouver fiasco, he was scoring around the likes of Tavares, Hall, Duchene, etc... Actually, in 08-09 he was 4th in the OHL, and absolutely tore the gently caress up out of the WJC. And did I mention that he's young? He's 23, and he just turned 23 in February, meaning he's going to stay 23 through most of next season. With Hodgson, Pacioretty, and Kadri, I've got a core of very young forwards - two centers and a wing - with a varied skillset, all of whom have, either as documented reality or just in my analysis, the capability to score 30+ goals and potentially approach PPG production.

Team so far:
Weber, Shea
Pacioretty, Max
Kadri, Nazem
Hodgson, Cody

Also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pyGSyfkO6I[

Bring it, boiiii.

Edit: \/\/\/ Couldn't you have edited your previous post without stealing my thunder? Mozzaaaaa :argh:

Habibi fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Apr 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

VJeff posted:

All downhill from here

edit: :lol: never mind. The way you wrote that initially I thought you were giving me poo poo.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Apr 19, 2013

• Locked thread