Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
I'll be Uncle Glen 2.0, sign me up for the Rangers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
I'm in as the Rangers.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Benn is a great pick for the price, a really good player on a slumping team right now. Certainly a guy worth building a franchise around.

I have done some scouting and have an idea who I'm looking at when I come up. With my luck the next couple picks will me made in rapid succession and I'll oversleep and miss my first pick.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

The New York Rangers are proud to select Andrew Ladd. His leadership and consistency is important to our franchise, having missed only one game in the past five seasons and going over 30 games this season without having consecutive games without a point. His size and scoring are excellent attributes that round out one of the most complete players and leaders in the league today. Already having won the Stanley Cup twice with two different clubs, we have high hopes for our franchise with Andrew on board.

Cap hit of $4.4m through 2015-16

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

i am not so sure posted:

Again, it is criminal how little press Pietrangelo gets.

I feel the same way about Andrew Ladd.

So, CBJ up again, then I'm up?

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

It is with great pride that the New York Rangers take, with the 32nd pick in this draft...

Oh yes, it's good. He's no Andrew Ladd, but we are proud to select

Rick Nash!

What else could you ask from the guy? He even talked Marian Gaborik into getting traded to Columbus, and he heard there's pie in New York!

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

OEL is great, I considered him for #29 but ultimately decided that I could pick up some other good defensemen later on. One of the major factors in picking Ladd over Bergeron was injuries - taking a guy who is out with a concussion, with a previous history of them, just seemed like it could turn out poorly. I have a few D in my sights, but lower priced ones who don't have the same offensive output, but are strong defensively.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Austrian mook posted:

Aaaaaaand there's my pick. I've still got a guy ready though.

e: I haven't seen Ladd guy post here really, did we run him out?

Nope, I was just practicing my intangibles.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

I considered picking the Sedins 29th/32nd because of the proximity of those two picks, but they're getting up there in age, and in the long-term, they're on the older side. Considering a five-year plan starting next year, they'd be 38 in the window of picking a current team. They also lack pugnacity and intangibles.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Kadri is a great pick, he's very young, scoring quite a bit, and in general it's just miraculous that he succeeds when his coach has played Colton Orr over him at times.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

I was hoping Stepan would fall to me, he's a great player and I could use another homer pick that goes well with Rick Nash. I was also hoping to snag Carter and Richards, but unfortunately I'm coming in a dozen picks too late.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Verviticus posted:

well jopo hasnt picked yet and im off i think so i'll be around tomorrow to make the pick and stuff

Same here. Should be on within 12 hours of now, though I'm sure it'll take a bit longer.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Seabrook was my top choice right now, looks like I'll need to dig a bit deeper. Wondering if I can count on some other guys to fall another ~60 picks so I can pick them up after this round.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

The New York Rangers are proud to select, as the 89th pick in this draft, Andrew Ladd.

Wait, you mean we already drafted him in the first round? What's Uncle Glen smoking?

Oh, in that case, one moment, let me go back to the table.

The Tor- I mean, New York Rangers would like to select Colton OoohHHH NO YOU DON'T!!!

*elbows*

Don't try that again, Burkie!

The New York Rangers are proud to select, with the 89th pick in this draft, Roberto Luongo.

Imagine how much happier this handsome man will look in a jersey that isn't uglier than his game three performance. Sorry Bobby Lu, couldn't resist that one. Signed for a gazillion dollars until the end of time, Roberto is still an elite goaltender with many years left as a true number one starter. With both intangibles, such as being a former team captain, and tangibles, such as tweets, he's a top notch player who is a dream for a team that has no problem taking care of big contracts by any means in the world of a $70m+ cap.

Thank you, and farewell, until next round.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Just got home, going to need a bit of time to think about this pick as I was going to take Seabrook and was considering Voracek. I'll make my pick within an hour or two.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

The New York Rangers are proud to select, with the 92nd pick in this draft, Brad Richards. Half a bad season and he's still available in the fourth round? Summer before last everyone was drooling over him, he's a hell of a #1C and he's had a bad couple dozen games on a team whose roster looked like a three year old playing Tetris.

Andrew Ladd's first game after I picked him? 2g 1a. Brad Richards isn't anyone's sloppy seconds, he's a great center who has the skills and smarts to age gracefully. His contract? gently caress it, the cap is over seventy million and we've got a city fleet of dump trucks full of money.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

eXXon posted:

You know we all made fun of the Andrew Ladd pick but what if he continues having career years every year?? Did you think of that smartypantses?

Andrew Ladd is proud to be a part of our organization. In fact, drafting him increased his drive to dominate hockey, and in both games since being drafted he tallied three points in each. The New York Rangers hockey club also has first hand experience with the Jets' mediocre centerman, and recognize potential that can be maximized by not having Mr. Ladd centered by some Brian Little (who was already drafted?)

Zodijackylite fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 19, 2013

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Just chiming in to say that Dougie is a great hockey name.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

I considered Girardi in the fourth round but thought he might fall to the end of the fifth. Good pick, he's an elite shutdown guy who can play as many minutes as you want.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

T-Bone posted:

I like Girardi because of his contract but there are plenty of comparable d-men still left.

He is also unbreakable. Dude takes pucks off the face and doesn't miss a shift.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Since drafting Andrew Ladd, he has put up three points in each game he played.

Brad Richards? Hat trick tonight.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

D-men that put up three points in every game since you drafted them? :smug:

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

I've got two picks on deck, but with my luck they'll be taken by the two teams picking before me. I'll be going to bed soon so if I don't pick tonight, I'll have it done by before noon tomorrow.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Just don't pick the two guys I have in mind, thanks in advance. Neither of them are Nashville Predators so I'm cool with that.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Consensus team is totally going to take one of the two guys who I wanted to snag in the next four picks :(

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

The New York Rangers are proud to select, yet another homer pick, Michael Del Zotto.

Signed through next year with a cap hit of $2.55m, at only 22 years old he already has over 100 points and nearly 250 NHL games played, regularly plays over 20 minutes per night, and has shown the ability to adapt and improve his defensive game. With a solid offensive game and an impressive and ever-improving defensive game, he is a player who will mature into an even more excellent defenseman.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

ThinkTank posted:

Joffrey Lupul has bounced around the league a bit, but he's a pure finisher, something that I don't have in abundance at the moment.

Joffrey Lupul has been bounced around by the league a bit, and while he isn't finished, he has had an abundance of missed games this year.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

The New York Rangers are proud to select Andy Greene. A veteran defenseman who eats minutes like Dustin Byfuglien eats... everything... at a buffet, he's currently a #1D for the Devils and we need a savvy veteran to shut things down back there.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Seidenberg is a good pick, I considered him while taking Greene, but I decided that I preferred the extra year at a slightly lower cap hit, and while Seidenberg could be a #1, we haven't seen him as such because of Chara and we know what Greene looks like as a #1.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

T-Bone posted:

And yeah I agree with Rutowski we all bagged on the Zodijack and his Rangers for building around Ladd but he has made some solid loving picks since then. I particularly like the MDZ/Greene back to back snags.

Andrew Ladd's three games after I picked him? 2g1a/3a/2a. Richards? 1g1a/3g/2a/1a in his next four. Nash also put up 3+2 points in back-to-back games when I picked his buddy Brad Richards.

:smug:

Greene is a great guy to pick up that late because he has a solid, very affordable contract (especially for this cap) and he is a #1 defenseman right now, and should stay on a high level for a few years. He's defensively responsible and doesn't get a lot of attention because he's not a big offensive player, and he doesn't quite play Dan Girardi minutes as the Devils are a bit more balanced back there. MDZ can already eat minutes, he's continually improving, and he can play big minutes right now, and he often does. He's always had the offensive component of his game, and I think he'll continue to be on the rise for years.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Dubinsky rules and people have reservations because he isn't always in rage/beast mode. He gets in the faces of superstars like no other, for fucks sake, Ovechkin even started a fight with him once.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

I know I'm up in a few picks, if these happen quickly and I'm up soon, I'll probably wake up in 12-13 hours, but I haven't sorted out the guys I had on the radar and had a really crappy day so I'm not up for scouting five slots out and my beer intake is about to increase rapidly. Assume that as of 45 minutes after this post, I'll be my avatar and want to pick him.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

eXXon posted:

I think the reservations people had about Dubinsky involve him scoring 11 goals in his last 114 games going back to the start of '10-'11, that is a veritable Alaskan performance.

A significant part of that was that his role on the Rangers was primarily defensive - his great defensive play and strong faceoff performance as well as an offensive slump quickly led Torts to keep him in the depth, since him and Boyle were solid defensive players who could grind and they had Stepan and Richards on the top lines. It's tough to beat out Richards and Stepan, and Dubi ended up being used a lot as a role player for faceoffs, as Boyle took the third line role, and of the depth guys last year, Prust was the best one and he was more or less permanently on Boyle's left wing, with Feds on the right.

While he certainly isn't an offensive superpower, Dubi is excellent defensively, very reliable on faceoffs, quite physical, and he matches up to superstars very well, evidenced by Ovi and Crosby getting into shoving matches (and even a fight) with him. Still, put him on a first or second line with talented guys and he can put up 40-50 points in a year, which is pretty strong with the weaker offensive numbers put up in the NHL right now, and really good for a guy who can play a defensive role with no problems.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

The New York Rangers are proud to select Kyle Turris. Age 23 with plenty of offensive upside, leading scorer on a team that literally caught fire this year and ground to a halt while he managed to not be sidelined with an injury from burns or flaming wreckage. Ottawa was not the right place for him to fill out physically and toughen up on the puck. He's on pace for ~50 points in a full season with a team who has been on defensive lockdown and had most offensive threats in the garage for repairs this year.

Glad to add this young man as a #2 center.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

The New York Rangers are proud to select Fu Man Drew Stafford.

Come on, a 27 year old coming off two consecutive 50 point seasons, including 31 goals in one, who is having a bad season when the team fired a notable mustachioed idiot and is battling locker room cancer? Sign me up.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Faulk, Ennis, and Hagelin are all great picks. I considered taking the first two with one of my last two picks but ultimately decided on Turris over Ennis because the latter is undersized and may miss some more time due to injuries. Hagelin rules but I can't just pick Rangers all the way down if I don't have Lundqvist!

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

The New York Rangers are proud to select Josh Gorges, a big minute defensive defenseman that blocks enough shots to calm an angry John Tortorella at a press conference. Signed for $3.9m per year through 2017-2018.

I checked several times and he hasn't been drafted yet, I'm really surprised.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

I have two picks in mind, if ThinkTank hasn't picked by the time I go to sleep (in an hour or so?) then I'll PM the consensus team my top two. If ThinkTank picks both of them, I'll emit a string of profanity with a player's name in the morning.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Gorges has gotten less attention as the Habs offense hasn't been anemic this year, and Subban+Markov have looked good on the powerplay. The Habs had the most power plays in the league, and the best PP/SH +/- in the league, which will always look good for the OFD. However, Gorges led the Habs in ES+SH TOI this year, continuing to excel without quite the acclaim of last year because attention was elsewhere.

Despite where the attention went, getting Gorges this late is a steal, he's another guy who has proven his ability to be a #1 shutdown guy for a team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Sorry, been out all day and got stuck in traffic on the way back. I just looked at the time of my previous post and groaned about being up that early and getting home six hours later than I thought I would :(

Ah gently caress, wrote the wrong name and described the guy that I meant to pick instead. Shouldn't have rushed the pick when I got home :(

Zodijackylite fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 3, 2013

• Locked thread