Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
I'll take vancouver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
should we be factoring age into our decisions

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

im absolutely committed to this as king of the canucks

edit: oh this got moved to the armchair quarterback. guess thats why i stopped checking it. i thought it just hadnt been updated

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 8, 2013

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

taylor hall really really owns and it's funny to see all these people who dont get that

he's an oiler and hes one of my fav players because of how good he is

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

taylor hall is not as good as sidney crosby. and uh, nothing else.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

maybe he's going for a cup THIS YEAR and wants hall's ELC?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

i think slow and uncomplicated is good enough

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

*grunt*

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

yeah uh i had to be pmed because i thought the thread just fell off the page due to inactivity. some people still prob dont know that its in here

what im saying is, kill that guy who didnt pick

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

i just woke up, to speed this along i'm picking cory schneider

will write up in a bit

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Twin Cinema posted:

Well, there goes my #4 goalie, who was paired closely with Price and Rask.

Also, I am kinda surprised that Kane and Couture were taken over _____________, who I thought would have been gone by now.

i'm pretty sure ___________ is the guy that i want and might regret taking schneider over but oh well

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

gently caress the kings

*ahem* we'd like to congratulate country of the united states of america and the wonderful state of california and the residents which reside with in followed up by the city of los angeles on their incredible cup victory good work los angeles and the team from which derives its name

Cory Schneider is the greatest goaltender in history. Don't believe me? Ask the Objective Number Machine. Schneider currently has the highest average sv% of any goalie over the past three years. Also, GPS, a weird way that some nerd has said is the best way to measure goaltending says he's better than Tuukka Rask in less games, so there!

Oh sure, you'll say "but Lawrence, he's only made 2379 saves that's not enough to judge if it's luck or skill" and to that we reply: but we've seen him make every one of those 2379 saves, and so using our eyes we can be one hundred percent sure that he's an elite goaltender and probably the best there ever was.

Schneider is signed for 4m for the next three years.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

id kill myself if my first pick was a maple leafs original no matter how embarrassingly they gave up on him. schneider and rask are pretty much the same thing, young goaltender that took over for an elite goaltender over a few years. rask is a year younger than schneider which is more or less irrelevant and schneider is going to be 1-1.5m cheaper for the next two years which is also more or less irrelevant. their stats are really similar, with rask just having gotten more games

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

the sad thing is that schneider is a boston native. he could own the canucks a billion trillion times over if he just defected when he reached UFA

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

gently caress off. we said 12 hours and he was the 30th goddamn pick

i dunno where you work but a lot of people dont get a half day because its friday

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

yeah pietrangelo was the guy i wanted. oh well

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Gonna take Duncan Keith with the 33rd pick.

Dude's won a norris, a cup, a gold medal, eats a bajillion minutes, is only 29 and he's signed for a long rear end time at a crazy good caphit (5.54m) for an elite defender.

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 12, 2013

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

myron cope posted:

The only problem with Pietrangelo (and Tuuka) is that his contract is up this year. He's $3.16M now, but where does he go?

a lot

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

there's been literally 0 people saying a thing about me picking keith. do people just not remember that he's still alive

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

A thing: he's expensive. ______ and _______ are still on the board.

i picked keith because there really weren't any defencemen left that gave better value. 5.5m isn't even remotely expensive

edit: oh yeah thats a bunch of players we 'might want to draft' ugh i hate that stupid rule

edit2: for right now keith is a top 5 defenceman. he's better than pietrangelo, he's better than doughty right now and he's definitely better than letang. he's a lot older and won't be as good in the future, but in a couple years, he'll be a lot cheaper too

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 13, 2013

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

mennoknight posted:

Drew Doughty is expensive, and I waffled between him and another really expensive forward for a while, but the drop off between a #1 dman now and if I'd waited until 50 more dudes were gone was too big to ignore.

yeah there wasnt going to be another #1 available that far down. it was a good pick where you were

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

mennoknight posted:

Also, I disagree with your claim that Keith's better right now...Drew is so adaptable to play any kind of game, and the kind of game Darryl makes him play lately isn't as awe inspiring. For my money, he's he best all-around defenceman in the nhl.

they're both really like that. doughty is a #1 just as keith or weber or any other #1 - keith is cheaper for better. unless there's serious discrepancy (like karlsson's offensive potential vs another more defensive defenceman) i just think - "who would i rather in a [#1 D] - Barker pairing". keith is, in my mind, more able to carry as literal of an anchor that you can find in the NHL than doughty

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

gonna say i expected more words from a man of few words like you, tbone

edit: mook put a picture or bold the pick or something so it's a bit easier to parse imo

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

T-Bone posted:

I'm just roleplaying Lou I can post more if you want.

i think the descriptions of players, especially as we get to more contentious team building philosophy in the later rounds, is probably what would keep me reading this thread. the finished product is neat and all but i wanna hear why someone picks dennis wideman over matt carle or whatever (bite me im using undrafted players wanna fight about it) because the difference between duncan keith or drew doughty is a bit odd, like, they both do everything really well ok there's my argument

ive already got huge writeups for later picks in my mind that poo poo is gonna be fun if people participate

edit: definitely had more fun with the schneider pick which i got to do work on as opposed to the keith pick whom i didnt want until the last minute

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Apr 13, 2013

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Paulocaust posted:

Of the 12 tandems drafted, I'd say the best are Getzlaf/Suter, Pietrangelo/Bergeron and Duchene/Doughty, with the worst being Kane/Lehtonen and Benn/Shattenkirk.

e: Staal/Kovalchuk is pretty good too

what a shock, a leafs fan unable to evaluate shrewd goaltending pickups !!

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

there are also a shitton of rookies and elcs that are outperforming by a lot that will still be available in the 4th and 5th round because most people dont know who they are

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

why cant we talk about undrafted players yet? I dont think a single person here has gone "poo poo i wish i remembered him" because lists of Good Players of all kinds are easy as poo poo to find

id be much happier talking about anybody

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

you think people just forgot about pietrangelo?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Shoeonhead22 posted:

Voynov is not a bad pick at all, I think he might be the last of the young elite defensemen

agreed! none left

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

snake drafts are torture

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

i didn't pick schneider because i'd want consistently good goaltending that can be achieved through luck by a bad goaltender, it's that i didn't want to pull a st. louis blues this year and have an elite loving team barely making the playoffs because i have two average/slightly above average goalies that both poo poo the bed

toronto is a bad team in the playoffs because of goaltending. the blues are a great team barely in the playoffs because of lovely goaltending. the flames are a borderline team with a lottery pick because their goaltending is unmitigated poo poo this year. an elite team that gets good goaltending wins the cup in 19 games. goaltending has largely kept the canucks, down a lot of good players, in contention. the list goes on and on

edit: also lol at this comment

Starsfan posted:

well I'm sorry, there's like 20 guys who have played 10+ games this year and put up save percentage over 92%.

dang, ten games!! thats like 300 saves

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Paulocaust posted:

Hahahaha what?

As funny as that is in it's own right, did you forget the Leafs are tied for 3rd in the league in goals scored?

okay

i like the mcdonagh pick. NOW there are no elite defenders left

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

honestly there arent many good players left at all now. there's probably gonna be a run on premium facepunchers soon

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Twin Cinema posted:

Jordan Eberle was the player I was surprised wasn't taken in the first round. I almost grabbed him at 59, but I thought I needed a center more.

im not surprised. if this was the end of last year im sure someone would have but his contract loving sucks sucks sucks and its bad

edit: and thats AFTER he had a better year this year than last

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 15, 2013

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

The guy is clutch and that counts for something.

no it doesnt!!!

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

look at this clutch year: http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/4498/gamelog

as soon as the team hits the top 8 he goes cold as ice

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

Random NHL games isn't where clutch matters sir.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piXP-wZmzc4

e: (Like I said, I don't like the numbers that support his gaudy scoring numbers. But... can't deny he has been superb at stealing the moment a couple times now.)

but someone always needs to steal those moments and it just happened to be eberle once or twice. still doesn't mean anything for the future

that goal is the only reason i even like eberle a little bit

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

goalie + d is correct and right

hurry up twin cinema you're ruining it for the rest of us

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

doop get rid of that before i hunt you down and kill you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

yeah, im not getting anybody i like. this is why i dont do fantasy hockey anymore :mad:

• Locked thread