Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I am down to do this, and I don't care what team I get. Maybe I will just take whatever team is left at the end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I don't care...uh, Columbus?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

i am not so sure posted:

Taken. I am assigning you Dallas.

Ah poo poo, I completely missed them being taken. My eyes aren't what they used to be.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I am in as Dallas. After my exam Tuesday, other than a small paper, I have a total of zero working hours. I am pretty much the perfect person to do this.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

The first few spots of this are too difficult. I have a feeling in my bones of who I am gonna pick, and I already know it's gonna confuse a lot of people.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

With the second overall pick, the Dallas Stars pick...Tay Tay

I'll be the first to admit, this may not be the wisest pick. For me, It came down to Hall and Tavares, two young guys who are already elite, and have the potential to be that much better. So, why did I choose Hall over Tavares? Well, I think the contracts are pretty much even, because even though Tavares has a better cap hit, Hall is signed for an additional two years. I also think they are comparable in skill currently, even though Hall's a year younger. But, I am thinking long-term here. Obviously, I am incredibly high on both, but I see something in Hall that edges him ever-so-slightly above Tavares for me, at least a few years down the road. The only concern is injury issues, but they don't make me so nervous that I wouldn't pick him. Advanced stats show that he has been playing the toughest defensive match-ups on his team, and has great possession stats. His numbers are a bit deflated because he hasn't played a full season yet. Last year, he was on a 36-goal, 71-point pace over an 82-game season, and this year, he is outperforming these. I think he's only going up from here. I also think he's a solid defensive player.

I think as Edmonton improves, and over the course of a full season, this pick will look a lot better. Hall has been playing on a basement team, much like Tavares, and while there are other guys on the team that have great potential for Edmonton, I think Hall is going to emerge as "the guy," at least according to the fan's perspectives. It was really difficult picking between the two, but I ultimately went with my gut (gut instinct!), and figured that I'd have some fun with this.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I will point to this thread in a few years as an example of my brilliance when Hall wins his third Hart.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Stamkos was my in the mix, and is the 'safe' choice, but whatever #yolo

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

eXXon posted:

I'm curious as to what you think Hall is going to do better than Stamkos because 'score goals' doesn't seem to be it. Hit more and be injured more or something?

Well, before I begin, I think it's really difficult to make the case for Hall at the moment, mostly because Stamkos is the one that is only a season removed from 60 goals, and has continually put up 90+ point seasons since his second season, and would probably break that mark if this were a full season. However, a few things went into my decision:

1. Hall is a top-5 pick in this sort of draft, and I am really surprised about the response to this. Hall is already an elite player, and is on the verge of becoming that much better. (for reference, I like this blog post: http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2013/04/09/taylor-hall-is-now-one-of-the-best-players-in-hockey/)
2. Would you buy the team argument? As in, Stamkos has St. Louis to play with, whereas Edmonton has a glut of young guys all battling for their position on the team. I don't really think of Eberle as highly as others do, and I really think that Hall is a clear step above his teammates, and as he grows, so will the team's fortunes. I realize this makes it seem like I think Stamkos is a product of St. Louis (he isn't), but more so that I think it's a bit more difficult to see Hall's ability.
3. Contracts were a factor. Stamkos is already signed to a 7.5mil deal for three more years (well, I guess four within this draft), and after that, what? He's going to be, if he maintains this level of excellence, the highest paid player in the league. Hall has one more year on his ELC, and then is signed to a $6 million cap hit until after the 19-20 season. It's already a great deal, but it will be an absolute bargain soon.
4. I think I mentioned this in my post, but I really think that this will look like a better pick next year. For some reason, Hall is grossly underappreciated, and I am not sure why. I think it has something to do with injuries limiting his playing time, which has the illusion that they are worse than they actually are (Plus, if we are looking at goal scoring, I don't think Hall is a slug. No one in the league, other than the version of Ovie of old can score like Stamkos. But, it's not like Hall is terrible. I can see him topping out as a 40-goal guy). Plenty of people were questioning the decision to sign him to that extension last summer, mostly because of the price. I think Hall has silenced those critics. Next year, he's gonna take the next step, and he's gonna own bones and everyone will be like "oh man, I really wish I didn't doubt Twin Cinema's brilliance at drafting. Let's anoint him our SAS god!" Of course, I will graciously decline that honour, but just you wait.
5. He isn't going to be around when I pick next, and it also kinda came down to personal preference. I saw it as too close to call, so I went with my gut instinct.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Austrian mook posted:

I'm worried about getting to the point where I'm looking up players because I'm out of people to pick...

Luckily, you have about eight months to research this, if this pace continues.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

See, my Hall pick generated discussion. You guys should be bathing my feet right now.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

eXXon posted:

If we had 10 picks done since last night there would be plenty to discuss and it would be interesting. Having nothing done for most of a day leaves, well, nothing.

Also since we made a rule about not discussing players who weren't picked it's a bit hard to say anything more than 'I think there are better goalies than Carey Price although I can see why he'd be taken first'.

I will also say that I was fairly surprised that not only was Subban the second defenseman taken, but that he was taken so high. It's not a bad pick or anything, but there's one or two other unnamed defenseman I would have picked before him.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

These are interesting evaluations, because the defenseman I have at number two hasn't gone yet, and neither has goalies three through five.

e: For the record, Karlsson is obviously at number one, while goalies one and two are Lundqvist and Price.

Twin Cinema fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 11, 2013

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

Yep, most of my top 5 goalies are still on the board. The only one taken so far is Lundqvist. I had Price around 6 or 7. Love the guy, but his numbers don't show me that he's a top 5 goalie (nor do I see it when I watch him play). He is a workhorse though. It does mean you don't need to really shore up with a backup, which is a nice luxury to have.

I'm curious to see how the rest of the goalies shake out. I'm always so leery going early on them in fantasy drafts; even when I do take them early it just seems so difficult to gauge how they're valued.

I think Price's age and contract work in his favour in a draft like this. He is only 25, so there's that allure that he's either is gonna get better or maintain his level of play. And, while he has the third largest cap hit for a goalie, it at least takes him through until he is 30. Everyone within a million and a half of him are older, and some have even longer deals.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

I have no issue with his contract. I'm fine paying goalies who play 65 games, which Price can easily do. His age definitely does work in his favour, but I think he's past the period where he'll make large improvements to his game, so essentially you're banking on many more years of what he brings now. And what he brings now is very good, but there are guys who I think bring more. My #1 goalie is still on the board. I assume he'll be gone before I pick at 25, but if he's not I'll have a really tough decision to make.

It's tough to make an argument when I can't name other names, especially when I don't know who you're #1 is. But, Lundqvist is the clear #1 for me, whereas I group Price with the next guys on my list, and then Quick is grouped with my number five guy. However, the guy I have at five is actually my number two ranked goalie on the league.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I was very, very surprised he wasn't taken in the top ten.

e: I feel like if this draft was done before the season started, he would have been.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

T-Bone posted:

I would have taken 1-11 over him, and *maybe* Lundqvist.

I probably would have taken him eighth, but replace Giroux with Toews.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Rask was my number three goalie, pretty much tied with Price. Thought he would have gone before Quick for sure

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I thought Duchene would fall a bit more. Not because I don't think he's a first round guy (I do), but because I thought people might forget about him. I don't know if I would have picked him sooner, but it's pretty easy to make the case for him to before 20.

If this draft had trades, I definitely would have traded down from #2. I figure Hall would have probably been picked around the 7-10 spot (although, having seen who was picked there, and seeing how far Seguin fall, it may have been even further). I just really wanted Hall.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Austrian mook posted:

In 3 years, Hall would be a top 5 guy in a draft like this. It's just that he's young and still developing.

As you can probably tell, I disagree with this. But, I think I am evaluating players differently than a few others are in this thread. My top-5 was Crosby, Hall, Tavares, Stamkos, and Seguin.

As I said in my post, I think Hall is already an elite player, but is vastly underappreciated. I think he's taking the next step next season, as in, I think he's not only going to be top-5 in the league, but recognized by fans and media as being so.

Twin Cinema fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 12, 2013

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Paulocaust posted:

I won't be a virtual-homer and shoehorn Karlsson into this discussion, but come on son! No Malkin on that list?

Oh right! Move Seguin down a spot, and put Karlsson there. Malkin is also a very close number seven, as in, pretty much everyone two through seven is interchangeable and up to personal preference. I wouldn't disagree with anyone taking one guy over the other.

edit: I'd probably put Toews in the mix, too.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Well, there goes my #4 goalie, who was paired closely with Price and Rask.

Also, I am kinda surprised that Kane and Couture were taken over _____________, who I thought would have been gone by now.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Kane's not a bad first round pick, more of an early second to me, but it only looks so egregious because _________ is still available. I fully expect ___________ to be taken as one of the next two picks so that I can finally stop saying ________________.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Verviticus posted:

gently caress off. we said 12 hours and he was the 30th goddamn pick

i dunno where you work but a lot of people dont get a half day because its friday

Um, some of us don't work. Okay, rear end in a top hat?

Jesus Christ, some people...

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

It's going to be really funny when we realize everyone is being baffled by different players not being picked.

Well, not really funny. More like a slight smirk.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Scott Gomez is only making $700K.

I am not breaking the rule. We can only talk about players getting picked.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

eXXon posted:

That was not nearly clever enough!

They can't all be winners, unfortunately.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Austrian mook posted:

I think he was the player most of us were talking about?

Not me, but Piets was my second rated defenseman, so he was really close.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

The player I have been talking about since the late-20s (________________) has still not been taken.

Also, I go out for a night, and this thread really picks up. Wow!

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I was kind of hoping Landeskog would be left to my pick, because I am really high on him. I don't know what his ceiling is, but it wouldn't surprise me if he is a top-20 or 25 player in the league soon.

I am also getting continually surprised by the players being picked. Again, the guy I was talking about in the high-20s hasn't been chosen. I thought others would be higher on him than I was, but I guess I was wrong.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I had a small, small hope that Henrik would last until the 59th pick.

Also, complaining about Landeskog being captain is weird. Beyond the fact that we can't see the actual impact of him as a captain (unless you want to count the team record, which is a bit unfair), and that he's a second-line LW (which isn't really true, he plays on the first line some of the time. Unless you really think any one of David Jones (who has been used as a RW), Cody McLeod, or Jamie McGinn is a better LW.), he was picked for a reason. Hejduk gave up his captaincy, and who else on this team would be a better fit? Duchene? O'Reilly? Any case you can make for one of these guys can easily be made for Landeskog.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I just banged my desk in frustration that DC grabbed Rinne*

*didn't actually happen, but I was hoping to grab him.

e: I am finding it difficult to figure out which player I want to take with my next pick. I was hoping Rinne would be there, but now I have to go back and think. There's so many players still available, and having two picks so close to each other kind of handcuffs me, because I have to start thinking about who is going to realistically be there in another 60 picks. I have a list of probably 20-30 picks that could reasonably be chosen at 59 and 62.

Twin Cinema fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 14, 2013

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I am kind of surprised that Neal has dropped as far as he has. I assume people think he's solely a product of Crosby or something, because there's been a few forwards chosen that I'd take Neal over.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Paulocaust posted:

He doesn't play with Crosby, as far as I know.

You're right, he doesn't. Like, he has, but Crosby is frequently playing with Dupuis and Kunitz. Either way, you can replace Malkin in my previous post.

e: Also, I hope the next two picks happen quickly. I have my two guys lined up for the 59th and 62nd picks.

Twin Cinema fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 14, 2013

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Paulocaust posted:

Are any of them 25, locked up for the next 6 years at 5m per? I feel like I'm getting poo poo on for this pick when it's a pretty good one. Maybe I'm just crazy.

I think it's the opposite effect of a guy who puts up 60ish points on a bad team, where everyone assumes that if he just had some linemates, he would add, like, 20 points to his totals. With this, people are assuming the Malkin effect is a lot more drastic than it is, but forget that Neal was already highly touted in Dallas before getting traded to the Pens. Yeah, that team had a certain somebody not drafted yet, but Neal only had 2 powerplay goals that season. He didn't become a great goal scorer because of Malkin, he already was one. I think goal scorers get no respect, no respect.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

With the 59th pick of the draft, the Dallas Stars select Mikko Koivu

After examining the remaining centers available, I had to select Koivu. He's not a sexy pick, and his contract is not very good, but it's difficult to pass up a guy with his blend of offense and defense. Koivu is an elite defensive center (if you disagree with the use of the word 'elite', then I'll use 'great' to appease you), with the ability to put up 65-70 points. He's 30 now, but I don't think he's going to decline that rapidly with the skill set he has, and I think he'll perfectly compliment the other Dallas Stars drafted player, Taylor Hall.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Jordan Eberle was the player I was surprised wasn't taken in the first round. I almost grabbed him at 59, but I thought I needed a center more.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

So, here are the teams so far:

Crosby/Eberle
Hall/M. Koivu
Stamkos/Bobrovsky
Malkin/McDonagh
Karlsson/Neal
Tavares/Yandle
Giroux/Hedman
Toews/Voynov
Kopitar/Rinne
Ovechkin/Huberdeau
P. Kane/Phaneuf
Datsyuk/Kessel
Subban/Semin
Price/H. Sedin
Weber/Pacioretty
Lundqvist/Chara
Parise/Landeskog
Quick/Perry
Getzlaf/Suter
Seguin/Nugent-Hopkins
Benn/Shattenkirk
Backstrom/Ekman-Larsson
Rask/Spezza
E. Staal/Kovalchuk
Duchene/Doughty
E. Kane/Lehtonen
Couture/Letang
Schneider/Keith
Ladd/Nash
Pietrangelo/Bergeron

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I may take a bit with this pick. I have absolutely no clue who I want more than the other players I have listed. I would trade this pick if I could, and since I can't, you guys will have to be patient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

With the 62nd pick in the draft, the Dallas Stars select Cam Fowler

To be fair, I haven't watched many Ducks games this season (1? Maybe 2?), so my understanding of Fowler's offensive decline this year is stuff that I have read. People are claiming that it's largely due to bad luck that his offensive production has dropped so far off, but he has made great strides in his two-way game to the point that he's the second best defensive defenseman that Anaheim has (which I guess isn't much of a compliment). He is still generating offense, but it's not showing up on the score sheet. From the few games I have watched, this assessment seems about correct for me, and I have no concern with Fowler going forward. He's a 21 year old dude, which means he is one of the youngest defenseman currently playing int he league, and he is just finishing his third season.

• Locked thread