Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I think it's also important to note that while Sadaharu Oh's record stood for 49 years, Balentien's only stood for about 30 minutes...because he hit number 57.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?
Is that why the showed Mr. Baseball on HBO last night?

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Ryozo Kato, Commissioner of NPB resigned because of the juiced ball scandal. Would anyone care if a foreigner hadn't broken the HR record?

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

I don't think that really had anything to do with it. Hitting around the league is comparable to pre-2011 levels. It's more that the 2011/2012 ball was especially dead, not that the 2013 ball is especially juiced.

The scandal was Kato being completely ignorant about the ball having changed despite the obvious discrepancy in hitting stats between 2012 and 2013 (and, y'know, being in charge of the drat league)

fisting by many fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 19, 2013

Ryoji
Sep 1, 2012
Ah, this thread looks promising.

Does anyone know how I can watch the upcoming match of Hiroshima Toyo Carp against Hanshin Tigers online? Is there some kind of stream?

I am living in Germany, if this might be of importance.
I appreciate any hint or recommendation. My girlfriend is a huge fan of Hiroshima's Maeda and this will sadly be his last match.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
If you know when it is, check the streams in the OP.
With any luck somebody will be streaming the game. I would think that chances are good, since the other team is the Tigers.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

I think this guy usually streams Tigers games. And this guy usually streams Carp games. So odds are at least one of them will have it. If not check the related streams during game time and it might be there too.

fisting by many fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 3, 2013

Ryoji
Sep 1, 2012
Thank you for your replies.

It should start in about 10 minutes, let's hope I will get lucky.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

fisting by many fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 3, 2013

Ryoji
Sep 1, 2012
Yes, you are right, Crovie.

Maeda played in one of the later innings.

Thanks a lot for your recommendation, one of the justin.tv streamed this event.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Huge game for Lotte and Seibu. http://www.justin.tv/miyamu2/

They will play each other in the first round of the climax series, but the winner of this game will have home field.

The atmosphere is like a postseason game.

Fooly Cooly 25
Jan 18, 2005

Todo lo tuyo ahora es MIO
I lived in Nagoya for three years but didn't exclusively support the Dragons; I'm glad they bombed this year since they need to shuffle their roster up and get rid of the grandpa players. Also, I didn't forgive them for letting Blanco go.

Playoff wise: Anyone but the Giants.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Fooly Cooly 25 posted:

Also, I didn't forgive them for letting Blanco go.

Me neither :smith:

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

So how many home runs does Wladimir Balentien have now this season? I can't really find any English language information after he hit 56 and 57.

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.
NPB's stats service says 60. He was shut down for the last few games or so to rest, since the Swallows were nearly 30 games out of the pennant chase and 11.5 out of the last playoff spot.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

He had some soreness and took a few games off but played the last two. Yes, he finished with 60.

Fooly Cooly 25
Jan 18, 2005

Here's hoping for a Hanshin/Rakuten series. It would be pretty awesome for the whole Tohoku region!

Dickensian Aspect
Mar 18, 2009

Fooly Cooly 25 posted:

Here's hoping for a Hanshin/Rakuten series. It would be pretty awesome for the whole Tohoku region!

Is there a big Hanshin fanbase in Touhoku? (Not trying to be snide - I genuinely don't know, but in any case I can support that series.)

Crimson Sox
Jan 16, 2008

Bromance
I'm not sure if he's been mentioned in this thread or not, but there is a 18 year old who's currently hitting and pitching in NBP.
Shohei Otani

Fooly Cooly 25
Jan 18, 2005

Dickensian Aspect posted:

Is there a big Hanshin fanbase in Touhoku? (Not trying to be snide - I genuinely don't know, but in any case I can support that series.)

Ah, my bad. I meant it would be cool for the Eagles fanbase and the whole region with all the Fukushima mess going on.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Climax Series starts tonight! Both are day games, Seibu-Lotte starts at 10pm PST and Hanshin-Carp starts one hour later.

I think the only team that has any chance at all of pulling off an upset to advance to the Nippon Series is Seibu, they've been hot lately (8 wins in a row). Although I'm cheering for my Marines to beat them and earn the right to get trampled by Rakuten :toot:

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

wait I got the times wrong it's on now

Marines-Lions http://www.justin.tv/miyamu2/

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Carp vs. Tigers starting now
http://www.justin.tv/baseballls
http://www.justin.tv/honofunicarp

Marines lead 4-0 :toot:

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

And Hanshin is gone. Hiroshima takes the series 2-0 and will face the Giants in the climax series final.

The Pacific league first stage is still up for grabs -- Seibu rebounded from their 11-1 slaughter by Lotte with a 15-0 thrashing, so we'll have a Game 3 tomorrow. Maybe it'll even be close this time!

fisting by many fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Oct 13, 2013

Fooly Cooly 25
Jan 18, 2005

Dammit Hanshin....here's hoping the Carp pull off some type of miracle

Ryoji
Sep 1, 2012
Go, Carps, Go! :)

What do you think are the odds that Hiroshima will win against the Giants?

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Ryoji posted:

Go, Carps, Go! :)

What do you think are the odds that Hiroshima will win against the Giants?

Pretty drat slim, given that not only is Yomiuri a pretty good team (by the way they went 14-8-2 vs. Hiroshima this season) but that they will play every game at home and begin the series with a 1 game advantage. (In the NPB, finishing 1st in the regular season means something)

There's also the matter of the rotation -- finishing 1st also gets you a bye so Yomiuri's pitchers are all rested, whereas Hiroshima is considering using their ace Kenta Maeda on four days rest so he can be used again if it goes to Game 6.

The Climax Series is more of a "let's do something slightly more interesting than just having the regular season champion go straight to the Nippon Series" (which is what the league did for several decades up until 2004) rather than "just get in and anything can happen". Only one #1 seed has been upset over the five years this playoff format has been in use (Although the Dragons came close last year, winning the first three games against Yomiuri to go up 3-1 before losing three straight)

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Game 3 between Lotte and Seibu just started. Winner goes on.

They traded blowouts in the first two games (11-1 and 15-0) so... I don't know what to expect but it should be good!

http://www.justin.tv/miyamu2

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Goodbye Seibu! The Chiba Lotte Marines are moving on!!

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
So I just learned the hard way that if the game takes too long, the TV broadcast will end before the game does. It's a shame, it was a very fun game to watch tonight...

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Sashimi posted:

So I just learned the hard way that if the game takes too long, the TV broadcast will end before the game does. It's a shame, it was a very fun game to watch tonight...

Wow, I've never seen that happen. For a Climax Series game, even, that's ridiculous.

In case that happens again, there are many people streaming the series online. Likely at least one if not all of these channels should continue the series.

http://www.justin.tv/raurubrue
http://www.justin.tv/athleticsch07
http://www.justin.tv/ultra_exceed

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

The Nippon Series is set. Yomiuri vs. Rakuten of course. It will begin on the 26th.

The Marines picked the most painful way to lose the series -- attempting to throw the game in the first two innings, then coming back and giving the fans another injection of hope to crush.

I will just leave this here without comment.

Oh well. It was a good run besides that sort of thing :shobon:

Fooly Cooly 25
Jan 18, 2005

^^^^

Did the second baseman have a brainlock or something?

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Is there any kind of winter ball/offseason league in Japan?

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Fooly Cooly 25 posted:

^^^^

Did the second baseman have a brainlock or something?

The whole team did :negative:

ALFbrot posted:

Is there any kind of winter ball/offseason league in Japan?

In November there is an exhibition tournament called the Asia Series between the champions of various leagues (and the host team). This year Japan, Korea, Australia, Taiwan and for the first time Italy are participating.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Crovie posted:

In November there is an exhibition tournament called the Asia Series between the champions of various leagues (and the host team). This year Japan, Korea, Australia, Taiwan and for the first time Italy are participating.
But nothing prolonged or later than that until the normal season gets going again?

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Not that I can think of.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Hey watch :siren: Game 7 :siren: of the Nippon Series even if you don't care about any of the dumb teams in it.

http://www.justin.tv/giants_aiiin#/w/7374179072

Masahiro Tanaka started Game 6 with the Eagles up 3-2 but took the first loss of his season. He asked to stay in the game (and finished well), throwing 160 pitches altogether.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Crovie posted:

Hey watch :siren: Game 7 :siren: of the Nippon Series even if you don't care about any of the dumb teams in it.

http://www.justin.tv/giants_aiiin#/w/7374179072

Masahiro Tanaka started Game 6 with the Eagles up 3-2 but took the first loss of his season. He asked to stay in the game (and finished well), throwing 160 pitches altogether.

jesus. That won't affect his posting fee but gently caress man thats college baseball numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Crovie posted:

They're warming him up in the bullpen right now :psyduck:

• Locked thread