Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parpy
Oct 23, 2009

Ducklings have been known to imprint on, and imitate, species in close vicinity -- especially cats and dogs.

~SMcD
Hell yeah, I'm pretty excited too!

There's apparently an anime-only character being introduced this season - Nenotaba Shinobu. There's really only speculation to be had as to what role she'll have or how far JC Staff plans to deviate from the light novels*. I know Saten was a lot more prominent in the Railgun anime as opposed to the books and in spite of that turned out she fit in well, so I'm thinking it's probably safe to assume this Shinobu character's presence in the cast won't take the story way off course either.

e: * Apparently she has a significant role in the manga (which I haven't read yet either) but does not appear in the the LNs. At any rate, it's not an anime-only thing after all and this season looks like it might be sourcing its material primarily from the manga.

Parpy fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Apr 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parpy
Oct 23, 2009

Ducklings have been known to imprint on, and imitate, species in close vicinity -- especially cats and dogs.

~SMcD
Index is a sweetheart. I know you can't, but if you could wipe every instance of JC Staff's lovely, unfunny, repetitive portrayals of Index as a headcrab from your memory, I think you'd find she's actually a pretty fantastic character bursting with kindness, selflessness and strength (not to mention the earth-shattering power potential tucked away in her head). The bottomless stomach thing, while also overplayed for "comedic" effect, is attributable to a constant need of food to keep her mana lifeblood topped up. In regards to her childlike mentality, she has had her mind completely wiped on a yearly basis until meeting Touma (which hasn't been quite a full schoolyear ago, canonically), so she has been reverting to the same mental age as when the Vatican crammed her head full of those 103,000 grimoires alongside John's Pen, which was god knows how long ago. The mindwipe thing behind her, she's free to grow up now, and I hope that JC Staff realize that their portrayal of her character was very poorly received and significantly tone down the one-trick headbiting tantrum crap in the future. I'd love to see an Index III, honestly. One without Index forced into an overplayed lovely joke role.

Parpy
Oct 23, 2009

~SMcD
I personally can't get enough of Kuroko's berserk lust frenzy. Her voice actor is the greatest thing ever and frequently makes me laugh myself hoarse.

Parpy fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 7, 2013

Parpy
Oct 23, 2009

~SMcD
UTW-Mazui will be subbing this. Apparently they are having a dilemma with whether or not to translate the Japanese onomatopoeia "biribiri" because they feel it is their job as translators to translate. They don't want to have to add translators notes, and I can see how the nickname could be confusing so they're bandying about ideas like 'bugzapper', 'microwave', 'sparkplug', etc. That said, I don't think I'd be comfortable with anything but Biribiri and I'll be a bit miffed if they change it. Yeah, it may sound foreign but onomatopoeia works if you think about it.

Parpy
Oct 23, 2009

~SMcD

Redcrimson posted:

The official translations are kinda terrible, if you ask me. Biribiri is translated as "bugzapper", onee-sama is translated as "sissy".

"Sissy"?:barf:

I know honorifics don't translate well and I've only seen fansubs, but I had no idea such atrocities existed.

Parpy
Oct 23, 2009

~SMcD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGicolK_VUE

This OP's great! I guess as usual there's scenes that will not play out in the actual show as depicted, but whatever - it looks great and the Fripside tune is just as fantastic as ever. The raws are out apparently, but I'm forcing myself to wait until the subs are up because it feels like by some weird logic that I'd be spoiling it for myself somehow.

Also, Railgun S is being broadcasted at 1600x900 - only Haiyore! Nyaruko-san W has a higher resolution this spring at 1080p. JC Staff is clearly spending some coin on their flagship series, a portion of which I'm guessing came from neat promotional tie-ins like this.

The sisters powering the facility's UPS backup is pretty clever.

Myurton posted:

Most of the first season of Railgun takes place pre first season of Index, the series actually ends at about just before the sisters arc of Index with the OVA happening almost directly after it.

edit: the sisters arc for people who haven't watched Index is the arc during which the main character of that show Toma beats the crap out of the awesome Accelerator there by solving the problem Misaka had of her cloned sisters were being slaughtered on mass to produce some hosed up level six esper. It's also because of this that Misaka actually starts to really like Toma.

The Sisters Arc takes place over Index episodes 10 through 14, for those who haven't watched Index at all or just want a refresher going into this season.

Parpy
Oct 23, 2009

~SMcD
Well, that was quick. UTW's sub is up now! :woop:

Parpy
Oct 23, 2009

~SMcD
For the record, Biribiri has a very faint electromagnetic field about her person that's sufficient to scramble What's-Her-Face's mind-control brainwave thing.

Parpy
Oct 23, 2009

~SMcD
Just finished episode 2 and I'm really happy that they're wasting no time building up the whole Sisters thing, unlike Railgun season 1 which seemed to spend the better part of the first half of the season featuring SoL and crisis-and/or-badguy-of-the-week.

:siren:INDEX SPOILERS :siren:I assume she's leaving the cash cards around for the clones to pick up to outfit themselves for their encounters or something? Shinobu seems to be complicit the Misaka clone program, so that seems awfully inefficient when she could distribute them as they're being sent out the door ...(to their horrific deaths. Oh god it's going to break my heart watching all these poor girls die all season for such a bullshit reason :smith:)

Parpy fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 21, 2013

Parpy
Oct 23, 2009

~SMcD

Popehoist posted:

Hey guy please don't talk about the outcome of this entire arc, especially when you haven't even properly tagged your spoilers to prevent ruining it for anyone who didn't watch index!

Oh god yeah, I should've done this, and I've now edited for Index spoiler. Please remove or edit my quote in your post.

Parpy
Oct 23, 2009

~SMcD

AtomikKrab posted:

She literally controls electricity, computers are electric so she can freely alter the 0s and 1s (off and on) by moving around the electricity in the computer. Electromaster is literally MASTER OF ELECTRICITY

But doesn't that mean she needs to be able to mentally process every keystroke as binary on the fly and have a solid enough grasp of TCP/IP, routing, programming languages, SQL and other database languages, general h4x, etc.? You can't just ram a surge of electrons through a computer and expect it to cooperate. Kamachi.exe, please. My immersion.:reject:

Parpy
Oct 23, 2009

~SMcD

SatansBestBuddy posted:

What the hell is a cour(s)? :psyduck:

For example, Gargantia will have 12 episodes (one cour) this season while Attack on Titan is scheduled for 25 (two cours). 'Cour' is used in lieu of 'season' to roughly describe how many groups of ~11-13 episodes are in a given season.

Parpy
Oct 23, 2009

~SMcD

.Clash posted:

Beard Frog Coffee :frog:

Annoying they're trying to keep a filler character around with the main group.

It's annoying that they're even focusing on Uihara, Saten and Haruee at all when there's so much substantial content to cover. A large portion of the episode featuring adolescent girls aimlessly shopping for swimwear and a rice cooker? Really, JC Staff? :argh: Not that I don't love the Judgement girls, but there's so much content they're cutting just to feature pointless slice-of-life teens-parading-about-in-swimsuits filler. Even Misaka playing with the kids in the park had some relevance i.e. foreshadowing the concept of electric telepathy.

Manga semi-SPOILER, sort of. #9982 has already started developing a personality and I think it would have done viewers justice to have seen this so they could bond with her and recognize her as an individual, not a completely unfeeling robot-like drone. Maybe they'll do some interaction between 9982 and Biribiri in episode 5 to highlight this, but this tea scene is one of 9982's defining moments that reveals that she already has very human thought, opinion and even emotion (i.e. disappointment bordering on outrage over poorly made tea). JC Staff dropped the character development ball in favor of 100% pointless SoL filler crap and maybe I'm just a huge babby but this genuinely irks me. Now in the show 9982 has already figuratively left the nest.

The scene in question, not a spoiler to the plot, simply a character-defining moment that unfortunately got JC Staff'd.

I feel that the last 60 seconds of this episode and the previews for next week were infinitely more interesting than anything that happened in the preceding 23 minutes. "Oh, could you be a dear and tidy that up for us? That'd be great!" :gonk:

Whatever. I love all Raildex content unconditionally. By the way, why was Misaka so happy at the beginning of the episode? Was it just relief at having found nothing untoward at the lab the night before?

Parpy
Oct 23, 2009

~SMcD
Holy poo poo, this episode. I knew exactly what was coming, yet I'm still stunned and horrified. gently caress.

Parpy
Oct 23, 2009

~SMcD
Vaguely remember someone saying Sisters Arc was in Volume 4? Maybe? I don't have immediate access to the manga at the moment.

Parpy
Oct 23, 2009

~SMcD

Dan7el posted:

If he has to kill 20,000 of these Mikasa clones, that's a lot over what time period? Do they ever say? Let's say, five years. That's 4,000 clones a year. Divide that by 365 days per year and you have nearly 11 clones a day. When does he have time for this?

At one clone per day, it'll take him nearly 55 years to finish the job.

At some point, you'd think he'd say, "Look, this is boring. I've been killing clones for, what? 3 years now? I'm tired of this crap. I'm not doing it any more. It's not even fun. I get up in the morning, eat my Wheaties® Brand flakes, and then it's kill, kill, kill up to 11 clones a day. I'm not interested in making it to level 6 any longer...."

Also, why can't the original Mikasa tap into this massive clone network if she's so powerful and the origin of all things Mikasa?

Index/General SPOILER (Accelerator's motivations in this spoiler) Might be best to let Railgun S reveal these in its own time. He is willing to show up for his exercises because he really wants level 6 status so people will finally be absolutely too intimidated to gently caress with him EVER and he can live in peace as a hermit with no real malice towards innocents (bear in mind, he initially thinks of the clones as soulless robots and even despite his attempts to dissuade them from engaging via intimidation and smacktalk, they invariably pick up arms at the appointed time and seal their fate, so it's "okay" to be heartless and barbaric towards them once the fighting starts). He has been used and manipulated his whole life to become a superweapon and feels less-than-human because of sheer amount of blood on his hands. He feels irredeemable and wants to remove himself from society and becoming essentially a living 'nuclear deterrent' with a reputation for unfathomable cruelty to those who would challenge him is the only way he sees as a way out given the history he's had. So the experiment is important enough to him to follow through and show up for these arranged fights. For him, the end justifies the means.

Only really a spoiler to those who haven't seen the past couple episodes: (Why 20000 clones won't take years upon years) The experiment has only recently transitioned to 1v1 combat phase in different locations with different variables. You see in the teaser at the end of episode 4 a room knee-deep full of corpses. He killed those Sisters. He has been taking them on in numbers upwards of 20 to 40 at a time in a controlled environment at that human abattoir ... er ... "lab".

This is Accelerator's handiwork.

Also, there was a short segment explaining why the electric telepathy wouldn't work unless you were on the exact same frequency or whatever (made near impossible to finely tune into with the presence of electrical appliances, trains, roving trashbins, etc. everywhere in the city). The clones may have their brains flashed by Testament soon after birth and tuned to a specific frequency; one different than Biribiri's (which would be a reasonable precaution), though there is some detectable interference when they're in close proximity to one another other as we saw when Biribiri picked up on a strange sensation, looked up and spotted 9982 trying to rescue the cat.

Parpy fucked around with this message at 14:24 on May 12, 2013

Parpy
Oct 23, 2009

~SMcD
I went out and bought volumes 5 and 6 of the Railgun manga because I just could not wait for the story to unfold at 24 minutes per week.

Based on how well they've pulled off this adaptation already (most of the scenes and events in the show are portrayed nearly 1:1 exactly as drawn in the manga, perspective, dialogue and all) and now knowing what I know, this season is going to completely blow season 1 out of the water. I'm SUPER pumped.

Parpy fucked around with this message at 12:22 on May 18, 2013

Parpy
Oct 23, 2009

~SMcD
Definitely try to be considerate to those who might be watching Index (for the sisters arc from the magic-side perspective, namely) and/or Railgun season 1 to get up to speed between weekly episodes of Railgun S. Maybe even go so far as to preface spoilers with what source (Index, Index II, Railgun) or indicate that its a manga/LNs spoiler (it may be that JC Staff intend to portray/reveal things in a slightly different chronological order than the source material ... who knows).

I'm kinda bummed out having failed to resist the urge to read the manga and thus knowing what's coming this season. Not that I won't absolutely love every frame (can't stress enough how JC Staff is doing such a surprisingly good job with this season), but I wish I was going into this completely oblivious because holyshit some cool things definitely happen.

Parpy fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 18, 2013

Parpy
Oct 23, 2009

~SMcD
For what it's worth, in Railgun season 1 Misaka took out Therestina by railgunning an engine block-sized lump of metal through her mobile suit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmX2fLZTE28&t=130s

Parpy
Oct 23, 2009

~SMcD

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Pretty good episode and the animation quality seems to be better than most of the other episodes so far.

I thought ITEM would be all espers but as far as I can tell the blond girl isn't one?

Frenda (the blond girl) is not an esper. She's just very talented with explosives and demolition.

e:

Bakanogami posted:

Shokuhou Misaki's appearance in episode 1 was the only one she's getting in Railgun season 2. GROUP also is probably not going to have any appearances in the second half of the show after the sisters arc ends. Meanwhile because they wanted to answer fans of the first season, they're putting in appearances of Kuroko, Saten, Uiharu, etc as much as they can.

I don't dislike them but, ugh. So much good material to work with in volumes 6 and 7 and yet we're getting more of them? Goddammit. That was my biggest gripe about season 1.

Parpy fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jun 2, 2013

Parpy
Oct 23, 2009

~SMcD
Manga out of the way, I'm about to embark on the light novels. From what I understand from light novel spoilers I've read, teleporters wear the lightest clothing possible as A. reduce mass as much as they can and B. any discomfort at all dampens their ability to calculate 11 dimensions on the fly. Pain will essentially shut a teleporter right down Index spoiler(e.g. the mere thought of trauma in Awaki's case; Kuroko banged up and buried beneath a bunch of desks, rendered completely helpless), because they need full spatial awareness and pain directs their focus inwardly. Partially explains why Awaki wears a scant few bandages and Kuroko's undergarments are light lingerie (well, aside from her being a huge mikotosexual perv). It's basically something to that effect, right?

Dan7el posted:

With that said, I kept waiting for Mugino to get fatigued herself in this last episode. I don't understand why Mikoto gets to become exhausted but Mugino is able to shoot her power beams full on for huge gobs of time without getting tired. Talk about an overpowered enemy.

Misaka'd been running herself ragged for days on end with little rest and in constant emotional and mental overload leading up to her assault on this second last facility. I doubt Mugino put herself through a fraction of that intense exertion in the days leading up to this encounter.

Parpy
Oct 23, 2009

~SMcD

JosephWongKS posted:

That look of hurt and disappointment on the Sister when Misaka chased her away was utterly crushing. :smith:

Oh god. It gets really heartbreaking in the manga when she returns to the lab for a final checkup on her "big day", and brings it to their attention that her chest hurts for some reason She is experiencing heartache from being rejected by Misaka, having been yelled at, told to go away and stop haunting her. While discussing clones in her presence during the checkup, the scientists candidly express how disgusted they'd be to have to interact with a clone of themselves, so she ends up even further convinced that she's just a disposable worthless being. Soon thereafter, she dutifully goes forth to get her circulatory system basically turned inside out by Accelerator in an alleyway (chapter 33). I don't know if they're going to include that scene, but they really should because that emotional investment in the clones is what makes us want Misaka to triumph over the shitheads behind that Level 6 Shift horrorshow.

Parpy fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 23, 2013

Parpy
Oct 23, 2009

~SMcD

Redcrimson posted:

The only real problem I have with the resolution is that the character that Misaka ultimately confides in is Touma. A character that got maybe 10 mins of screentime in season 1. And while I realize the Sisters Arc was originally an Index arc, it feels incredibly dumb in Railgun. Misaka already has her own posse of sidekicks, but instead Touma just stumbles in and Deus ex Punchinas Accelerator in the face. I think the arc would have been great with literally any other character in Touma's place.

She's planning to be dead in 10 minutes and she wants someone to blame her for this whole mess. Why not leave your spoken suicide note with this familiar face, surely he'll condemn you and you can feel justified for what you're about to do.

Parpy
Oct 23, 2009

~SMcD
10032's reaction to Misaka's declaring them real sisters that she would die for was heartwarming, saddening, and everything in between. I felt it was a fantastic episode all-round, but that moment was particularly great.

This season has been incredibly satisfying. It looks like we're in for The Saten & Uiharu Show for the remainder of it. Whatever. I'm cool with riding out the last few episodes on a lighter note. You know JC Staff has an obsession with Saten so at least they waited until now to shoehorn the inevitable slice-of-life stuff in.

Parpy
Oct 23, 2009

~SMcD

Wolf on Air posted:

I just read manga chapter 61, and :stonk: about sums up my reaction.

There are grades of cliffhanger. Normal ones don't leave the entire plot of the overarching 'verse teetering on the head of a pin. (still manga)“Well if it isn't Aleister's favourite, who is hidden in the shadow of the main plan!” :aaaaa: I'll leave the rest for you to enjoy as it should be. What the gently caress just happened to the timeline, people? This manga is official canon.
MANGAYeah, I dunno. It's during that intermural esper sports festival (Daihaisai?) and judging by what we've seen along the established timeline is that she'll come through this without being a broken mess of a person. She also gets back in time for a few of the events. Now, didn't she have one of her Sisters standing in for her, specifically in that balloon-tag event (seeing her having fun was so :3:)? Shouldn't she have gone all catatonic in the middle of the event while Kihara Gensei used External?

Wolf on Air posted:

UTW-Mazui changed their release schedule to 12+ hours from airing, which was 16 hours ago, so who knows.
It's up now. :v:

Kokoro Wish posted:

So thanks to this thread (and Kuroko getting her neck snapped in that gif), I decided to try watching the first series through. I am both enjoying and loathing what seems to be quite a debate on privilege going on in the underlying themes. Enjoying because it's even a theme to begin with, and loathing because of the conclusions it seems to be drawing. Yes Mikasa, you're having trouble empathising with the people less powerful then you and the frustrations they're having getting on. No, the solution to their woes is not smiles and bootstraps oh my God I hate you.

It's been a while since I watched the first season but I don't remember her or the general gist of it being like that at all. SEASON 1Are you referring to Saten "cheating" with Level Upper because she just couldn't grasp the concepts of Personal Reality like all the non-level 0 espers (like Misaka) who overcame that mental hurdle?

Parpy fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 3, 2013

Parpy
Oct 23, 2009

~SMcD

Phobophilia posted:

Kuroko's writer might be a creep but Kuroko's VA is a genius. And come on, who else thought she was going to bring a few frozen dead mice to the hotpot?

The whole privilege thing wasn't really developed in Railgun 1, sure we had Touma whining about a losing a carton of eggs, but contrast that with Misaka casually buying a change of terrorist clothes and renting a hotel room just to change. And while she always spouted shounen cliches about hard work beating anything, it was pretty obvious she was born with the potential for Level 5 instead of her simply working 105 times harder than anyone else. So... rather clever storytelling about a character with a naive view of the world.

I'm sorta sad that the current arc of the manga isn't being animated. No Misaki in the intro, but Kongou's bland swimming friends are around. At least Frenda and Mugi are back!

Kongou's two-girl entourage (Awatsuki Maaya, the dark-haired one and Wannai Kinuho, the fair-haired one) gets a bit of time to shine in the manga. We'll probably never see it animated though, would be cool if we did because they're pretty badass and admirable in their own right.

It's really a shame that the side characters don't get much exposure and development in the shows. It took reading the manga for me to take a strong liking to characters like Misaki, Kongou and her crew. To anyone new to Railgun this season, don't limit yourself to the anime if you find this world and characters interesting.

I really want to get into the LNs but chapter 1 starts with Index arriving on Touma's balcony and suddenly I find myself needing to do something, anything that isn't reliving Index season 1.

e: accidentally switched the names and descriptions of Kongou's friends; fixed now.

Parpy fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Aug 4, 2013

Parpy
Oct 23, 2009

~SMcD
Oh god, while I think Banri and Haruee are absolute sweethearts, this episode was such concentrated SoL with so few interesting moments, I almost couldn't soldier through the full episode. I know from experience that things will get crazy and the non-events that dominated this episode will be relevant somehow, but agh I hatehatehate this stuff so much.

I hope Awatsuki and Wannai get a chance to shine and I'm betting they will. I really like those two after MANGAwatching them go up against fatso's robot menagerie.

Also, YESSSS! That post-credits content. Bear in mind, Kihara Gensei is the guy who was orchestrating Level 6 shift and is a heartless piece of poo poo excuse for a human being. ITEM transferred custody of Shinobu to him and Saiai (hooded girl) specifically stated that even if her fate was to be spared for her usefulness to Kihara's assholery, her life going forward was guaranteed to be superterrible. Also, while she did divorce herself from her cold clinical disregard for the lives of the sisters (and people in general as seen when she intentionally aimed away from Saiai's vital organs), I don't believe she's become a champion of ethics and morality overnight. Even if she were, she tried to sabotage the Level 6 Shift program and Kihara's not going to put her in a position in which she could sabotage whatever that group of scientists are plotting.

Other interesting things of note:

- That one guy seemed to have gone out of his way to sow the seeds of doubt in Kongou's mind about using her ability.

- What should have been an easymode Meltdowner shield actually let some shrapnel from that flying I-beam through. Scientist dudes state they are happy with their test results and data collection from that incident. ITEM were obviously led there under false pretenses. While different, Mugino's ability actually functions in a very similar way to Biribiri's in terms of the physics/mechanics/whatever.

- Autistic lollipop kid's first and only words are "Misaka Mikoto". What's up with that? :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parpy
Oct 23, 2009

~SMcD
I just saw Gunha punch lightning.

How is this ridiculous story so damned good?

• Locked thread