Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lodoubt
Apr 9, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Roflfox posted:

Hopefully none. I stand by my stance that Index was absolute garbage and Railgun was surprisingly entertaining if only because it had barely anything to do with the former.

That is almost my stance on the matter. Almost. I really like the Raildex setting as a whole, but SciRailgun is such a better perspective to view the it from than MagIndex. They both feature exceptional protagonists, but Railgun at least has peers and indeed there are plenty of people who, in a setting sense, are much more unique, powerful or important than her. Also it helps that Academy City is literally the most important place in the setting and SciRailgun is just about sort of hanging out there, whereas Touma is constantly recruited to deal with problems that originate outside of it.

I actually really liked Touma pre-memory wipe, though we barely knew him, but post-memory wipe he just became some kind of mad libbing Paladin rather than a believable college student kind of person who just happens to have an amusing power. Also I can't stand Index. Not important enough to the plot to justify being the title character, and actually just brought down my enjoyment of the whole series because of her characterisation and actions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lodoubt
Apr 9, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
That's one option, though my first assumption that I think is still a solid option is that in true Railgun style :siren:CONTAINS INDEX SPOILERS TOO I GUESS:siren:the cards are there to encourage kids to go into alleyways for some reason, almost certainly a reason to do with some immoral research project. I had pegged the new girl as probably being her own short plot arc right now, with the fact that she knows of the Misaka clones being incidental.

Seriously, it seems like Academy City's researchers are pretty good at exploiting the social networking behaviours of kids to their advantage when they need a large volume of test subjects for whatever crazy thing they have cooking.

lodoubt fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Apr 21, 2013

lodoubt
Apr 9, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Hacking is as stated way more absurd than her other abilities, but it bears mentioning that to a greater extent than raw power is at least, finesse is the deciding factor for Level. And Misaka is a level 5. Accelerator, for reference also got, along with his esper powers, the ludicrous level of mental calculation necessary to actualise his will in a specific and meaningful fashion using his powers. Things like forming functional wings out of a hail of ricocheting broken glass are easy to formulate conceptually, but would require insane processing power to actually implement even assuming you had the ability in question. And apparently being a level 5 esper just sort of naturally gives you the ability to do that sort of thing. It wouldn't be surprising if Misaka could read and interpret information straight off the hard drives of computers.

lodoubt
Apr 9, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
This could be a pretty interesting fight coming up but *INDEX SPOILERS* Accelerator is well known to be quite a lot more effective with his ESP than Misaka. Usually, espers with broader powers can have their control overridden by someone at the same level with a more specific power trying to counteract them. Accelerator's power is about as general as I can even imagine, and he was able to disperse/reflect Misaka's lightning bolt. I mean we know they both come out of this alive somehow but I have a creeping suspicion that it isn't the evenly matched slugfest that might first come to mind. Like it's sort of inherent from Index that, while it might be VERY hard fought, Accelerator would eventually ruin Misaka in an all out fight. But I'm not actually sure now if she has any way to hurt him even under basically ideal conditions.

Alternatively I'm reading waaaay too much into what was probably a two frame cliffhanger at the end of a chapter.

lodoubt
Apr 9, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Saying Index ruins every scene she's in is probably an understatement, I might use the verb 'defile'. Hell I even liked Touma initially and then he was ruined by her. INDEX SPOILERS IE lost his memory and became a one dimensional moralfag.

Wait on a... if S goes 24 episodes we could well see Index on screen in Railgun? Does that ever happen in the manga?

• Locked thread