Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

boom boom boom posted:

I couldn't get into Index. I really liked that in Railgun, Misaka seemed to genuinely not like Touma. She just found him super irritating and his Biri-biri thing was overly familiar and obnoxious. But the bit of Index I saw treated her like just another tsundere.

I don't know where you got that idea but considering that most of the railgun anime takes place before the events of the Index anime obviously Misaka is not gonna like Toma immediately. If for instance you watch episode 19 where Misaka's school is having a culture festival it's pretty obvious that she is beginning to like him after her short interaction with him. This by the way takes place before he meets her again in episode 10 of the Index anime. The entire Railgun anime chronologically ends at the events of about episode 9 or so of the Index anime so of course she isn't gonna like him to the same extent by that point as he hasn't saved her. The OVA on the other hand takes place after he fights Accelerator since she's all blushy and flustered when she interacts with him at the beginning of it.

TL:DR Rewatch episode 19 and the OVA as it's obvious that she is beginning to like him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

Soylentbits posted:

Mistress? It implies reverence and has sexual connotations.

This is america, sexual connotations will never be allowed. You're suppose to feel all squeamish at the mention of anything remotely sexual. I mean hell they fired someone for using the word vagina during a sex ed class recently.

Anyways back to the topic at hand. I think that this whole one to one translation of literally every word to english is silly.
This is because there are a lot of words that simply don't have direct translations that accurately match the context of the situation most of the time.
Also there is such a thing as over Americanizing something, which can go over board and I don't think I need to sight examples of that.

Myurton fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 12, 2013

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

tonberrytoby posted:

Interesting, they introduce Misaki in the first episode. I wonder if they are going for the second sisters arc directly? I wasn't even sure if the original sisters arc was canon in the railgun anime.

Most of the first season of Railgun takes place pre first season of Index, the series actually ends at about just before the sisters arc of Index with the OVA happening almost directly after it.

edit: the sisters arc for people who haven't watched Index is the arc during which the main character of that show Toma beats the crap out of the awesome Accelerator there by solving the problem Misaka had of her cloned sisters were being slaughtered on mass to produce some hosed up level six esper. It's also because of this that Misaka actually starts to really like Toma.

Myurton fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 12, 2013

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

Sindai posted:

I'm going to be incredibly disappointed if the creepy blond girl doesn't get punched this season. Preferably by Accelerator and through a building.

I'm thinking that Toma will probably help Misaka during that one since he'll probably be able to just touch people to remove her creepy mind control crap.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

ConanThe3rd posted:

I mean when comparing Index to Railgun.

I do hope you realize that in both shows she is the exact same character. The only reason we don't see her being all crazy lesbian in the Index anime is because Misaka is not the main character in Index, therefore interaction with her is at a minimum. This is also the reason why Index and also Touma aren't as annoying/whiny in Railgun as they have a lot less screen time.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

Toshimo posted:

Is it just me or does it seem like they aged everyone a couple of years.

It's just the art style is slightly different, so it makes the characters look a little older.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

Endorph posted:

I like Index, but I can completely understand why people wouldn't.

The character or the anime? I don't dislike Touma that much I just highly dislike the character Index, she ruins every scene she is in with her annoying crap.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

bubblegumbo0 posted:

Timelines makes everything easier.

This season of Railgun has been significantly better than S1 so far, which was pretty boring and annoying for a number of episodes.

Well I still think people should of watched Index by now considering it aired 5 years ago, but whatever not gonna argue against the rules even if I do think they are kinda silly.

Anyways I got a question, if that timeline is legit where the heck does the season 1 Railgun OVA fit in?

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

Nate RFB posted:

I'm a little wary of the preview, it looks like we're getting an anime-only breather episode at a rather inopportune time. Then again, this also has the possibility of having additional perspectives on the same series of events which could be worthwhile just the same.

Oh good that means the sisters arc is done, I can now marathon the entire thing since that is what I was waiting for.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag
drat it, and here I was hoping I'd be able to actually watch the show finally. I'm waiting cause I hate that wait between weeks on this show.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag
You may want to spoiler that in case someone who hasn't watched Index complains.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

Endorph posted:

What exactly is the difference between magic and what Misaka does?

One of the major differences between esper powers in the Railgun/Index world and magic is that with esper powers you are literally locked into having one power/ability were as with magic there is nothing really stopping you from say picking up a new magic tome and learning a completely different magic, like say if you were a fire mage you could go and learn ice magic.

So to sum it up espers have only one power that they can master to a very high degree were as mages can have multiple powers.

Myurton fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 26, 2013

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag
Oh in that regard espers warp reality with their own mind were as mages warp it by using naturally occurring magic energies and apparently the two types of energies don't get along with each other.

Edit: All of this is by the way explained during the course of the two Index animes, and some of season 1 of Railgun if you watch closely.

Myurton fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

JosephWongKS posted:

Well, "April", "May", "June", and "Julie" are all already common girls' names, so why not "Janie" and "Febri"? "Novie" is another possibility, though I can't think of decent ways to feminize "March", "August", "September", "October" or "December".

Augustine is an actual girls name, I believe there is a saint named that. Also the month is named after Augustus Caesar.
edit: my bad it's the name of a guy though it sounds rather girly to me.

As for the latest chapter of the manga the rank 7 level 5 guy is like one of the most eccentric and awesome guys in the entire story, I wish he showed up more often.

• Locked thread