Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
This airs on Crunchyroll in fifteen minutes according to the info page

http://www.crunchyroll.com/attack-on-titan/videos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torix
Nov 9, 2005

Mio Bison posted:

After skimming the second episode I'm not a fan of what they're trying to do with this adaptation, they're slowing things down (one particular event which takes 3 panels in the manga goes to a solid two minutes), messing with the original story's order of events and adding tons of filler scenes on top of that. The end result isn't awful but the pacing is disappointing.

As someone who hasn't read the manga and is unfamiliar with the source, I was actually concerned the pacing was going too fast.

They went from the first Titan attack -> the gathering of all refugees to the second wall -> sending the refugees back out to face the Titans -> Eren joining a training squad in one episode, and it looked like all of this took place over a year or more. While watching it all I could think was "Wow, they must have glossed over something there" but from what I'm reading in these comments apparently not.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Yeah I dunno I haven't read the manga either and I felt like it was going at a fairly brisk pace.

This is way too fitting and also the best.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Quoting this again because it must be watched. :sbahj: :magical:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Episode two definitely seemed to be a "move the chess pieces around the board" episode with a time jump. That's fine, but I'm eagerly awaiting the CR sub because it may clear some of the timing up.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Episode 2 on CR in four minutes. :munch:

edit: The timeline really isn't specified, but it seems to go wall falls in 895 -> Armin's grandpa and others get sent out to reclaim the wall in 896 -> brief timeskip to them in training

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 14, 2013

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Torix posted:

As someone who hasn't read the manga and is unfamiliar with the source, I was actually concerned the pacing was going too fast.

They went from the first Titan attack -> the gathering of all refugees to the second wall -> sending the refugees back out to face the Titans -> Eren joining a training squad in one episode, and it looked like all of this took place over a year or more. While watching it all I could think was "Wow, they must have glossed over something there" but from what I'm reading in these comments apparently not.

One of the really unique things about the manga is how fast it starts. Towards the end of the second chapter it skips from the scene on the boat where Eren swears to kill all titans, to a point that hasn't even been in the show yet[spoiler]. Most of the rest of the episode, including a few things before the skip point, is original, with a little bit taken from flashbacks. The new stuff slides in with the continuity and characterization seamlessly, even though none of this stuff adds much to the overall story.

The big benefit of the slower pace (which you're right, is still wayyy faster than most shonen) is clarity. The manga trusts you to infer some things ([spoiler]that the inner circles see themselves as better than the outer ones, that the characters were refugees before they were soldiers
) which were made explicit this episode. I personally like it better when shows like this move so fast you have to keep up with them, but that's cause I'm weird.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Which leads to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNlNseP0AY4

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
Alright i just finished the first episode and i was wondering if anyone could answer a few lingering questions i had. Which is how big is the city exactly since Eren's dad said that he would be gone for three to four days and that he'd be going by boat? Also i assume that there are more cities than the one that Eren was living in since not only did they mention going "inland" but that, i believe, the king outlawed openly believing that humanity should live beyond the wall.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Smornstein posted:

Alright i just finished the first episode and i was wondering if anyone could answer a few lingering questions i had. Which is how big is the city exactly since Eren's dad said that he would be gone for three to four days and that he'd be going by boat? Also i assume that there are more cities than the one that Eren was living in since not only did they mention going "inland" but that, i believe, the king outlawed openly believing that humanity should live beyond the wall.

Watch the second episode.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

So has the dad been coming back to visit Eren, or not? The dream sequence didn't make that entirely clear.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Well, Eren now has the key.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012

Rei_ posted:

So has the dad been coming back to visit Eren, or not? The dream sequence didn't make that entirely clear.

I believe it's implied that when he found out Karla died he snapped and tried to kill Eren presumably he was going to kill himself after killing Eren.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Smornstein posted:

I'm assuming they did the math correctly a few pages back:

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

250+130+100 = 480 km radius
=> 723,823 square kilometers

Russia is 23 times bigger. The US are 13 times bigger. It's roughly as big as Zambia, Chile or Burma. France is 10% smaller and Germany is only half as big.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

Look at these cocky assholes. I hope they're the first to get eaten by Titans.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Survey Corp huh, that'll work I suppose. I like the ED, both the song and the art style they chose, not the biggest fan of the opening song, it's ok but doesn't seem to match the actual content of the show. Certainly a long way from being bad though.

Not sure how much I'll be commenting in this thread since I'm caught up on the manga and I worry about accidentally spoiling something, but I wanted to say that so far it's a great adaptation so far and I hope it keeps up.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Smornstein posted:

I believe it's implied that when he found out Karla died he snapped and tried to kill Eren presumably he was going to kill himself after killing Eren.

"You'll understand" and giving Eren the key to the basement implies that there was no attempted killing. He snapped, but he wasn't murderous.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

a kitten posted:

Survey Corp huh, that'll work I suppose. I like the ED, both the song and the art style they chose, not the biggest fan of the opening song, it's ok but doesn't seem to match the actual content of the show. Certainly a long way from being bad though.

Not sure how much I'll be commenting in this thread since I'm caught up on the manga and I worry about accidentally spoiling something, but I wanted to say that so far it's a great adaptation so far and I hope it keeps up.

I was really hoping they would just call them "scouts" or something similar instead of Survey Corps or Scouting Legion or whatever. For a real world example, nobody says "United States Marine Corps" except in very formal situations. We call them "marines". But then again I guess everyone has an opinion on this and it kind of seems like the dumbest thing to argue about so jokes on me I guess.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Vincent Valentine posted:

I was really hoping they would just call them "scouts" or something similar instead of Survey Corps or Scouting Legion or whatever. For a real world example, nobody says "United States Marine Corps" except in very formal situations. We call them "marines". But then again I guess everyone has an opinion on this and it kind of seems like the dumbest thing to argue about so jokes on me I guess.

Not sure if that's the best example since US describes the Marines' origin while the full Corp/Legion name specifies the section of the military it represents.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

a kitten posted:

I dunno, it has a sort of apocalyptic feeling to it which is certainly... fitting.

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008
Preparing for a 12 hour shift at work, grabbed the first episode. Finished it a bit ago and, well... The first four volumes of the manga are on the way.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I guess the only thing that sorta broke it for me was (ep2) 250,000 go out to fight...only 100 survive? That doesn't even sound logistically possible. Shouldn't it be like 10,000+ survive, or like, 0?

Hikarusa
Sep 8, 2011

AnacondaHL posted:

I guess the only thing that sorta broke it for me was (ep2) 250,000 go out to fight...only 100 survive? That doesn't even sound logistically possible. Shouldn't it be like 10,000+ survive, or like, 0?

It looked like the group was mostly random refugees with a small number of real military troops. So the one hundred survivors were likely just a few members of the military that survived and came back when they felt they wouldn't be punished for getting too few people killed.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

AnacondaHL posted:

As Hikarusa said, any survivors would be those that had mobility - and only the military had horses or spiderman gear, so.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 15, 2013

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Someone in Japan had WAY too much time on their hands. As usual.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
fart

Somebody fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Apr 15, 2013

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

Sarcophallus posted:

That was lifted directly from the manga. It's one of the extras included in the volume releases.

e: Here's one of the images.

I like how in the anime eye catch someone photo shopped Australia into a lake.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Wait a second, so the reason the inner circles are more elevated is because the survivors of humanity chopped off the top of the mountain to use as a mineral-rich area for mankind's new home? Am I reading that right?

That is bad rear end.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Pretty sure that's just supposed to show that the top of the mountain is being removed for the diagram that shows the mineral deposits.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah, you can see in the manga page in the post above that the mountain in the innermost wall is still intact. They just mine the hell out of it, I assume.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.
I'll post my speculations on the plot for the amusement of the manga readers, since I've enjoyed seeing the same from non-book-reading Game of Thrones viewers.

- Eren's dad was working on some sort of biological technology, possibly something that can lead to superhuman powers or even turn a person into a titan (or equivalent). If so, Eren will use it on himself.

- At least one of the main characters will die, most likely the blond kid since he seems the most extraneous (and the ED focuses on the other two).

- Mikasa might die. It would be emotionally effective since she's obviously going to be an enjoyable character. It wouldn't happen early though because she's too important (and stars in the ED). In fact, if she was going to die it'd probably be near the end of the story which doesn't exist yet, so probably not. Dammit, now I'm getting paranoid that she *will* die just because the series is supposed to be super-shocking and subversive and all that.

- Eren probably won't die but I wouldn't be totally shocked if he does.

- The titans will turn out to have been mutated humans or genetic experiments or something like that (as opposed to a natural or mystical origin).

- The super-titans will turn out to either be, or be under the control of, an intelligent and directed force that is specifically attacking humans, unlike the animalistic regular titans that are just looking to eat.

- The series is set on Earth in the future rather than some pure-fantasy land (obvious?).

- There will be humans living somewhere else outside of the walls, whether in another walled location or in some hidden village or cave.

- The next wall at least will fall at some point, and I wouldn't be surprised if they all did. Probably too obvious to count as a prediction.

- The guys living in the centre will try to (quite possibly successfully) screw everyone else to save themselves (more than they already have anyway).

ShardPhoenix fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Apr 15, 2013

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I say the second wall will be breached, but then sealed again.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Don't do this!

EDIT: Don't do what exactly? Please PM me with the problem.

AVeryLargeRadish fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 15, 2013

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Seems like this series has provided the new memetic OP music for this season.

Shingeki's Bizarre Adventures - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejO_gsnBcO4 (Very well synced)

Shingeki/Zero - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0of1upQk_ms

Walt Disney presents Shingeki Mouse - http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm20615263 (Scores mega-bonus points for actually being about Mickey fighting a giant)

Hataraku no Kyojin-sama - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBaCgi-wmV8

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Apr 16, 2013

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

ShardPhoenix posted:

- The series is set on Earth in the future rather than some pure-fantasy land (obvious?).

The show already said it takes place some thousand years in the future.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

JosephWongKS posted:

Seems like this series has provided the new memetic OP music for this season.

Last two seasons it was JoJo's, this season AoT is going to be the only show that I bother to watch the OP week after week.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

JosephWongKS posted:

Shingeki's Bizarre Adventures - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejO_gsnBcO4 (Very well synced)

It's scary how well this synced up.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

JosephWongKS posted:

Walt Disney presents Shingeki Mouse - http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm20615263 (Scores mega-bonus points for actually being about Mickey fighting a giant)

This got taken down immediately.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Found this on another anime forum.

Man, this show's attention to detail.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Apr 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Found a subbed version of the OP and as expected, the lyrics are metal as hell. :black101:

quote:

Sie sind das Essen und wir sind die Jäger!
They are the prey and we are the hunters!

Fumareta hana no namae mo shirazu ni
Without knowing the name of the trampled flower

Chi ni ochita tori wa kaze o machiwabiru
The fallen bird awaits the wind

Inotta tokoro de nani mo kawaranai
Prayer won't change anything

Ima o kaeru no wa tatakau kakugo da
What you need now is the resolve to fight

Shikabane fumikoete
The pigs that laugh in the shadows

Susumu ishi o warau buta yo
At the will to move forward