Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Wow, this show is great. I think I've decided to save the manga for if/when I need it after I've finished the show, but I can already tell it's going to be hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

lonephoenix posted:

I think that part was relatively obvious and explains Armin's quick dismissal of her efforts. Armin seems less apt to abandon hope regarding something like in light of what he had very recently witnessed at that point.

Doesn't it still lose something by not being readily visually apparent? I didn't notice it until I saw the manga page, either. I probably could have been paying closer attention, but they could have made it more gruesome without being unreasonably so.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

lonephoenix posted:

You are definitely right to some extent, but as someone mentioned previously, the subtleties of this medium let's us infer that. By having us infer it, I feel that it adds a strong layer of emotion to the scene, and reinforces their goal with the scene overall. It's more atmospheric, which is a massive bonus point in my eyes.

I do agree that the manga depiction was too blatant. I think something in between the two takes on the scene may have worked better? I don't have any ideas for something subtle but as horrifying as showing someone cleft in two, but this shot (http://i.imgur.com/vNa221O.png) is still too muddled, for me personally.

TK-31 posted:

One of the things people keep bringing up as one of this show's strongest points is how characters act in a way that is rational even in times of stress. Can we at least agree that giving CPR to a torso goes against that? Because I frankly think it makes the scene worse, given we've already had Armin going into shock after episode 5 conveying the same effect much more effectively.

Not knowing where the story will go, I have a feeling that bleakness and audacious behavior in the face of said bleakness will come up again and again.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
She almost got smushed by a titan a few hours ago, though, right? I also am loving the pronunciation of Pixis.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Some parts of this were good, but a lot was retreading the reasoning for the next plan ("it's all we can do"). Pixis's motivation of his deserting troops was interesting, but I just had a horrible dreadful feeling as the episode went on and I realized that nothing would be happening in this one. I still like it though; it wasn't a "nail in the coffin" for me.

edit: The final cliffhanger incident was, of course, cool, and par for the course with this crazy and bleak show.

UP AND ADAM fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 16, 2013

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Is it idealism? It seems more realistic to have some kind of rationalization for a bunch of 15 year olds summoning up superhuman courage to fight giant monsters. I thought Pixis's point about the families and friends who aren't fighting was very good for doing that. Other stuff, like Rika's apparently anime-original speech were duds though, I agree.

It's just not soon enough to say that this has turned into a "typical shonen." I guess you could second guess Eren's latest roadblock, but maybe it will have a novel and grim resolution? Just don't say you're going to drop the show because of the last couple episodes, and then you won't be pigpiled.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Oxxidation posted:

BURNING SHOUNEN SPIRIT in Attack on Titan is only going to make your flesh spicier, and any filler that plays to those generic sources of inspiration is just wasting time.

I see. Well, I agree, but I thought Pixis's speech at least gave an acceptable reason why the masses of Trost veterans weren't about to go cower with their families/sacks of potatoes. They probably could make a cool, more accurate story about how distraught the last human stronghold on Earth would be, but I am fine with the lapse in realism to prevent things from becoming hysterically bad, and preserving the significance of the Titan mystery plot.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Dang, I wish all the animation looked like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Well, you can always rationalize it as them dedicating their efforts or budget to the amazing action scenes that surely lie ahead. We'll see if it's worth it.

This anime sure is popular in the west. That's pretty cool I guess.

• Locked thread