Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Yeah, this is definitely going to be the best new show of the season. Araki knows how to handle source material really well, but I hope he doesn't insert that one moment where there's an anime original thing that's obvious it was not in the source material and completely terrible (Death Note's footrub scene, and slo-mo bullet between the tits in HSotD).

It'll be interesting for me because I'm only reading the official manga release so it will be fun to see when they hit stuff I haven't read yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Waffleman_ posted:

Well, there are some shows they stream that they haven't released a disc version of yet, such as Fujiko.

Fujiko has a BD announced and will be coming out later this year. It simply takes a bit more time with Funimation because they have actual quality control they try to follow unlike Sentai Filmworks that can get stuff out fast because they decided things like "checking to make sure subs aren't chockfull of errors" and "making sure all dub parts are actually dubbed" are done. (Yes, Sentai has done that a couple of times where they completely forgot to dub in a line, Golgo 13 and Bodacious Space Pirates to my knowledge)

The only stuff Funimation tends to not pick up for disc release is really obscure stuff that can't handle the cost of dubbing which is a requirement for all their releases.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

If CR was bidding for it then I would think that the price would have been bidded up, if it wasn't high from the get-go. That combined with the fan anticipation are, I would think, positive indicators that they have to do a disc release to make sure its revenue justifies the license. Not to mention the obvious fact that discs are funi's main business.

It would be Incredibly bizarre for funi to not do a disc release, frankly. Unless the series, against all expectations, and with great effort, ruins itself, I think it warrants a high degree of confidence: there will be a disc release.

I don't know why you quoted me on that? I agree that more than likely there will be a disc release for this, and I was stating that the only stuff that has been the case where Funimation hasn't done a physical release for their shows is in cases like Rainbow and Tatami Galaxy where they would take a loss on bringing it out mainly due to dubbing a niche show.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

of bees posted:

Nah, I wouldn't buy bootlegs, I'll go with legit versions. My one concern was that I heard American releases are intentionally of lower-quality than the Japanese ones, because it's cheaper for Japanese fans to import from America than it is to buy Japanese DVDs and the lower quality was meant to counteract that.

It depends on the company that gets them. For example for Blu-Ray discs, Funimation generally is pretty good with some spotty things here and there. Serial Experiments Lain's first episode was bit messed up, but overall their quality is good. Sentai Filmworks though, has put out discs with a bunch of artifacting and having 1080i BD discs when 1080p sources exist and their statement is just that it's what the license holder sent them. NISA tends to put out really good looking discs, as Justin Sevakis seems to know what he's doing. Aniplex is usually good but it's usually because you're either importing or paying out you're rear end so it better drat well look good (Bakemonogatari uses same BD episode count as Japanese release for example).

Funimation probably has home release locked for this, so the BD's and DVD's would turn out fine.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
It's a brand new studio that's attached to Production I.G, so it's pretty safe to say that Production I.G did the heavy lifting to get it and then handed it over to the new studio so they could show their chops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Squidster posted:

You can find it on Amazon or most comic book stores. Even Chapters is stocking it now.

Maybe my local Chapters is weird but they had lots since the first volume.

• Locked thread