Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
I think they did a pretty good job showcasing just how terrifying the titans can be in terms of both appearance and raw power. The scene with Haneth where time stops when he's in front of the titan was like a kick in the gut of shounen tropes about heroic deeds, it felt right on the money and was basically a perfect representation of that moment of time in the manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mercrom posted:

The only characters I remotely like in this show are the two skinless titans. The rest are terrible archetypes. Also, the unnatural, freaky design and animation of the Titans has absolutely nothing on Eren. That's a true eldritch horror right there.

Does it get any better? Will the characters evolve into something more than silentstrongcharacter, wimpy nerd, and Frankenstein's shounen experiment? Because I kinda like the rest of the show.

Without spoiling much, the manga has a firm love of making GBS threads all over archetypes and cliches. The characters develop a bit more personality and depth as well, though it looks like the pacing will be different between the anime and the manga going forward, so it'll be interesting for everyone to see how the anime production team handles things.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
I felt like Haneth honestly telling Eren that he ran away while carrying them instead of fighting because he lacked the courage to fight was a really great scene and a very logical and believable action that would've been tossed aside for heroic sacrifice in most any other series. It strikes a similar chord to how actual soldiers oftentimes deserted the field of battle; facing down nightmare fuel giants practically requires insane levels of hatred or indifference and Haneth doesn't show those sorts of motivations to us; he's just a guy doing his job. He wasn't expecting to probably ever have to fight titans up close, and the reality of the situation wasn't something he had the personal strength to face. Him being able to admit that to Eren means he isn't deluding himself either, no matter how much he hates it. Contrast this to Eren (who is unwilling to admit he lacks the strength to challenge the titans right now) that we see later on in the episode, and you get a fairly good example between the two of how the events impact them differently.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 14, 2013

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Now I'm just imagining the last episode being a no-plot, fast-forwarded montage of Eren killing EVERY TITAN ON EARTH one by one before cutting to credits.

With appropriate music this would be the best possible anime only ending. I would applaud this.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Sasha, you almost made me forget the utterly depressing hellscape that is the primary setting of this show.

Almost. :unsmigghh: People mentioned stills, of which there were a few, but it wasn't too disruptive.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Apotheosis posted:

Goddamn this show. :allears:

"Mankind's counterattack begins now!" "HA HA gently caress YOU"

I loved that aspect of it so much. The Sasha clip just before that was some outstanding levels of creepy; I was a bit disappointed with the animation in the forest training section but at the end of the day they hit all the important notes. Eren picking up Annie's kicking so fast is an excellent scene about how he is just loving determined to improve himself, and the scene with Haneth was a nice reunion. What a way to end the episode though, a virtually flawless "gently caress you and your naive ideals".

Attack on Titan: Imagine a boot repeatedly stomping on the face of humanity, forever. :black101:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Paracelsus posted:

I don't think there's a beach inside the walls, so they'll probably have to settle for a Germanic-style hot springs.

I will not be satisfied if the anime only ending into filler isn't a time skip into the past where 3d maneuver gear was used in street races. Initial D: Time Attack on Titan. :3:

When reading the manga I hadn't really considered the Ahab comparison; watching the anime has given some additional emphasis to Eren's hate (the voice work does a great job of this) and it definitely feels that intense. It also does a pretty decent job of portraying the comparatively stoic nature of Mikasa.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 30, 2013

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Still an eternal fan of (Ep 5 Spoilers)the guy who gets turned into loving paste by a Titan bitch slap:

Look at the shrapnel from his 3d maneuver gear going everywhere. :magical:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The horse is the one with the 3D gear.

:horse:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Devil Tesla posted:

Is there anyone who wouldn't be willing to wait a week longer for new episodes, to make sure they are done right?

Advertisers probably wouldn't appreciate having to wait a week, nor whoever handles the TV scheduling, even if fans would be willing to take a week delay.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

tiistai posted:

This man is your saviour, he fights for mankind.

A psychopath with almost palpable bloodlust, who reacts to a girl who is legitimately concerned about him (in a slightly clingy but understandable way) by constantly making aggressive physical gestures to literally force her away while shouting her down.

Humanity is saved! :toot:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Honestly, my favorite from that scene was the shoulder check into a tree. It was hard to tell at high speed, but it was loving brutal in the manga.

They did a great job of making the female titan be terrifying as hell.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

All of these titans are suppose to be dead, immersion ruined. :colbert:

If they don't make this a recurring subtle gag it will have been a huge lost opportunity.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
^^^ e: Did you watch the same episode I watched? :psyduck: Female Titan loving blasted his jaw clean off with an armored fist and then Eren punched her so hard in the gut that it sent her flying.

ViggyNash posted:

e: Episode 21

HOLY. gently caress.

I think I may have just seen the single best episode of anime ever. Probably not, but Eren Titan finally fights Female Titan, and it was the best part of the show so far.

:dance: Episode 21 is so good. I've been waiting for this, and I was really hoping they would include how loving brutal it is. And they did. Eren loving punching the ground so hard it rips his bones out of the flesh of his arms is astoundingly grisly, I love it. They did a fantastic job of conveying how pure beastial rage he was in that fight. Not to mention how completely and utterly the hope of the three team members using the power of trust and faith and friendship turned into absolute despair as they got poo poo all over. :black101:

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Sep 1, 2013

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

I would defend Eren but I am in the Armin white knight defense squad instead.

:hfive: Hell yeah Armin is fantastic. In a world of rage and horrific monsters, intelligence is the best trait. Just look at the leader of the Recon Corps, he's smart as all hell and so he gets poo poo done.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vincent Valentine posted:

I've never done translating before but:

Hey how ya doin' lil' mama let me whisper in ya ear

Tell ya somethin' that you might like to hear

Got a sexy rear end body and ya rear end look soft

and just wait til ya see my dick

OOOOOO

For context: Irwin wants to gently caress eren

The English Dub is shaping up nicely, I was a bit worried but they nailed the voice actor for Irwin.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Heliotrope posted:

I was kind of laughing at Eren this episode.

ANNIE WHY ARE YOU SAYING THESE THINGS? ANNIE WHY ARE YOU SAYING ARMIN IS RIGHT? ANNIE YOU HAVE A REALLY lovely SENSE OF HUMOR AND ARE GOING ALONG WITH ARMIN AS A JOKE EVEN THOUGH YOU'VE NEVER JOKED BEFORE AND THIS ISN'T A TIME FOR JOKES, RIGHT?

I liked the "C'mon you can spin a guy through the air you can't be afraid of the dark" after she was twirling that Scout around by his cord while a Titan. I know he meant her hand-to-hand combat training but still. :black101:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Quote != edit. :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Renoistic posted:

That shot makes it so obvious this is actually a mecha show, but with bio-mechas.

Look at what you made me do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVAo_MsDyfw&hd=1

I hope you're happy. :colbert:

HoneyBoy posted:

Jesus gently caress what the hell Mikasa.

edit: Whoever did the eyes this episode really had some fun with it.

Every bit as creepy in the anime as it was in the manga too.

:stonk:

The anime only aspect of this episode wasn't terrible, surprisingly, though I prefer the manga's method of Eren entering the fray.

• Locked thread