Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Amstrad posted:

The eyecatches are recreations of similar infographics that are presented in the manga. Regarding the size+distances involved, if you look at the second eyecatch, you'll notice each layer of wall has four half-circle protuberances and you'll notice that when the city is shown from a distance it is also a half-circle... the implication should be obvious from there.

There's also a brief image in the manga of the entire human area drawn realistically. It encompasses entire lakes/mountains, but I have no idea how large it's actually supposed to be. Definitely not the size of Zambia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

By the way: Fance is way bigger than Germany and has a population of 65 million while Germany has a population of 81 million... Zambia on the other hand has a population of 13 million. Considering that in the medieval times only a third or a fourth of those densities were possible and the fertility of the land is the same as Western Europe, I think around 20 million is a good guess.

Estimating populations is pretty difficult without yet knowing the setting's history. France, for example, had a population nearing 20 million during the middle ages, and then the Black Death happened and upwards of 50-70% of a population would die in an outbreak area, which drastically diminished Europe's population. So while it's certainly possible that around 20 million people live in the walls, there's also a really good chance that that isn't the case due to giant death monsters and other problems.

McDragon posted:

Think I'll have to start reading the manga again though. I was leaving it until there was a bit of a buffer, but there should be quite a bit now.

You'll probably just end up reading the rest in one go. I think everyone does.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Zogundar posted:

MAL seems extremely one-sided on gg vs Commie, 111/120 vs. 10/57 respectively as of this post (And nothing on Deadfish.)

But a lot of people on MAL are dumb, so I'm not sure how reliable these things are.

Here is basically everything you need to know about the difference between Commie and GG:

Khagan posted:

I preferred the phrasing of dialogue in GG over Commie anyway.

And were disgraced to live in these cages called walls (GG translation) vs The ignominious shame of life in Their birdcage (Commie translation)

The ignominious shame indeed.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Rexides posted:

Man, the designs of the titans were amazing. They spanned the entire spectrum from the hyperrealistic (their eyes) to the completely bizarre (:gonk: that smile), with the actual human characters being just a little dot in the middle with their very clear-cut anime designs and hard contour lines.

I actually really like the character designs that they've released so far. This isn't spoilers since it's more or less promotional material, but when our protagonists join the military they have a unisex uniform and it turns out that Misaka is loving ripped. It's such a wonderful change of pace.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Srice posted:

e: To elaborate a little more, I think that if say, Game of Thrones (tv) were to end this season but still accurately adapt the book, a lot of people wouldn't like being told that they should read the books if they wanted closure.

This is not a very good example to illustrate your point.

Also I hope they don't do an original ending, and instead just set themselves up for a season two. I have no idea where they'd stop at, but I'd like them to not try and tidy things up since I feel like the manga isn't anywhere close to nearing completion.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Mercrom posted:

The only characters I remotely like in this show are the two skinless titans. The rest are terrible archetypes. Also, the unnatural, freaky design and animation of the Titans has absolutely nothing on Eren. That's a true eldritch horror right there.

Does it get any better? Will the characters evolve into something more than silentstrongcharacter, wimpy nerd, and Frankenstein's shounen experiment? Because I kinda like the rest of the show.

If you watch after the credits of episode 2 for 3's preview, you'll notice that episode 3 is about how Eren is actually pretty lovely in basic training. That should more or less set the stage for how the tone progresses.

Also I'm pretty surprised at the pacing so far, I expected for them to skip everything in the second episode, but here we are.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Sasha's face not being smug enough was pretty disappointing. So was Jean not awkwardly saying you too at the end of his conversation with Misaka.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

.Clash posted:

That's just an edit :ssh:

That was so perfect. :negative:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Davincie posted:

Don't the recon squads go out of the walls to hunt titans? If there was anything out there nearby they surely would have seen the giant rear end walls those people presumably would live in.

Yeah, there are scouts who leave the wall for some reason. They were in episode 1 and 4, and they're the group the main characters are planning on joining.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I'm really disappointed that Armin didn't try to high five Eren's dismembered arm as it flew past him.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

All of the flashbacks are actually of Eren's dad injecting Miakasa with Hulk Hogan and Macho Man's DNA

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Sindai posted:

This is the anime thread. Please edit that out. :(

Yea I agree, please don't spoil the fact that this is an Evangelion prequel guys, THANKS in advance.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

AnacondaHL posted:

Also, as an anime-only viewer, it is still borderline goony/creepy to keep seeing excuses brought up here to talk about Mikasa's body when in context of the anime-only they have not made much mention or highlight on her other than "special" and "asian".

She stepped on the ground and somehow made the floor explode, crushed a knife blade handle, can do crazy flips, etc, hoists Eren around like its nothing at times, and more. She's also literally their best soldier.

I also don't really see why talking about/speculating on the source of one of the protagonist's insane strength is creepy or goony. I mean, she's just leagues ahead of anyone else to the point where it seems almost supernatural. It seems pretty normal to me to speculate as to why.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

miscellaneous14 posted:

One of the things I loved about this one was the Rogue Titan's yell. It was probably one of the main things from the manga I was curious about how they'd portray, and it's perfect.

Yeah, that scene/the whole show is pretty much way cooler in the anime than how it seemed in the manga so far, which rules. The only thing that weirds me out is that I imagined Titans as being a lot more translucent.

Here's to hoping that when the anime catches up to the manga the author just dictates the plot out and lets the anime finish first.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Rexides posted:

Yeah, Eren's "but they are human, why are they being mean to me :qq:" monologue was just grating. There was no reason to it other than drag the scene s we could end with that cliffhanger.

I thought this part dragged on and was awful when I was reading the manga. It's great to know that they're making such a faithful adaptation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Even in the manga this part was terrible and slow.

• Locked thread