Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Man, the designs of the titans were amazing. They spanned the entire spectrum from the hyperrealistic (their eyes) to the completely bizarre (:gonk: that smile), with the actual human characters being just a little dot in the middle with their very clear-cut anime designs and hard contour lines.

But what I loved most was that the show trusted it's audience to take in the premise of the titans without any boring exposition text or half-baked explanations. The Titans just are, end of story, deal with it, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

JosephWongKS posted:

Seems like this series has provided the new memetic OP music for this season.

Last two seasons it was JoJo's, this season AoT is going to be the only show that I bother to watch the OP week after week.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

re:titan theories

I am perfectly ok with the anime never explaining anything about the titans, and just have them be this incomprehensible force of nature that humanity could never hope to understand, just watch in horror while it devours themEREN CURBSTOMPS EVERY LAST ONE OF THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS :black101:

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Regarding what happens to Eren even if he makes it out of the titan's belly alive, it seems to me that you don't really need legs to operate the 3D gear (other than balance issues, probably), and one good hand could be enough to deliver a killing strike, so he can still be badass even as a cripple.

As for the Titans, I really love it how they are basically engineered to be the biggest (literally and figuratively) possible assholes imaginable. There are a lot of stories were humanity is faced with a threat that is only a threat because it's existence is incompatible with ours, or even threats specifically engineered to destroy humanity but which operate on a set of realistic rules that make them internally consistent, but the Titans... Every single facet of their existence, every single thing that they do, or don't do, or do with limited efficiency, is just a huge "gently caress You" to humanity. Even their single weak spot exists just so humanity has some hope of defeating them, only to keep them struggling against the inevitable.

The BIGGEST assholes.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

By the way, is it just me, or did the animators revert Mikasa's face to her adolescent characteristics? I remember a lot of us had problems recognizing her during the training episode, but right now it seems to me that she looks more as when she was first introduced.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Yeah, most of the time you barely notice the imperfections until someone posts that one still on some forum and everyone puts on their monocles and lament the quality of today's animation.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

By the way, the scene with the Titan eating Eren made me weirdly uncomfortable for some reason, and then I remembered why.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

So basically Eren is Electrodynamic Induction Batman, he turns vigilante by someone else's parents getting murdered :haw:

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

If you ask me, I think that the whole trying to resuscitate a torso was just going for cheap shocks. It might have carried some weight if we cared about the characters, but for me it worked better when it seemed to the viewer that there was still a chance for him. When I saw the manga page, I thought that it was the stupidest thing ever. I might have enjoyed it in Valvrave though.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Gyges posted:

I thought they did a pretty good job at conveying those two were in love prior to that scene, which is the crux of the drama not the viewer's attachment to those specific characters.

A crying girl holding her boyfriend's dead body in her arms is drama. A girl doing CPR on her boyfriend's torso is stupid.

It's a very subjective thing, I guess, but the scene had more impact on me when I thought that she was still holding hope, instead of going nuts.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Oh yeah, I am not saying that it's unrealistic or that it couldn't happen in real life (in fact there was a thread in PYF some years ago that featured a story with a similar reaction). I am just saying that it's stupid. A person dying is tragic, we can all agree here. For fictional characters that don't even have enough screentime to get invested in we need other characters to react to their deaths, but crying and wailing is enough to convey the emotions. Titans are huge assholes who run like retards and devour your hopes and dreams, we get that. What exactly did that scene add to how hosed up the situation is that hasn't been told already? It was just shock value. If anything it downplayed the direness of the situation because it was trying so hard to shock you.

That said, if it was just a few seconds between cuts of people reacting to the death and carnage around them in various ways I would have zero problems with it. But the author was dead serious that this is what the reader needed to get into the spirit of Get-Eaten-By-Titans-Land, which I found stupid.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I think we all agree that CQC Titan is Eren, the real question is, will he remain like that for the rest of the show, or return to normal and hulk it out whenever he needs to kick some titan rear end?

Rexides fucked around with this message at 10:43 on May 24, 2013

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I guess that Eren was lucky that he turned into a normal Titan and not one of the small ones, would have been hilarious watching him trying to bite their ankles ineffectively

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Squidster posted:

The authorities being freaked out by a human titan is pretty reasonable.

I agree. In these kind of scenarios, the viewers usually have tunnel vision from what they know and how they like the characters, which makes the reaction of "the state" seem short-sighted and wrong, but in the end it's the only normal reaction.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I would have gone with "Giant Assholes" to be honest.

AnonSpore posted:

I liked the joke proposal where "nakama" was changed to "bro" which ended up in precious lines such as "I COULDN'T SAVE A SINGLE BRO."

I have never watched One Piece, is there a group that did this? I would watch that in a heart-beat.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Personally I plan to wait for the series to finish first. It's only 24 episodes, and it would be weird to start reading now and get the anime-original ending int he middle of it. Better to start anew with the manga once this series is done.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

:argh: I swear, if I have to watch one more scene with that neurotic officer I'll drop this loving showmake another angry post :argh:

I like how they are probably setting this new hot-shot dude to be Javert to Eren's Valjean.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Maybe "Titans of the Attack" actually makes sense in how the Japanesse perceive possessive particles? Maybe in this case it literally means "Titans who are attacking". Like, there is this broad category of assholes called "attack", and these titans belong to that one. Or something.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Yeah, Eren's "but they are human, why are they being mean to me :qq:" monologue was just grating. There was no reason to it other than drag the scene s we could end with that cliffhanger.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I never expected that I would end up playing with my phone while watching an episode of Attack on Titan, I don't know about you guys but that part of the episode really shocked me.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

The problem with Armin is that he is interchangeable with virtually anyone else in the setting. Eren has his own past that put him in his current position, and Mikasa is truly exceptional. We know that no one else could fill their roles. But if your role is literally "be a normal kid and not broken", then it can be filled by a lot of people, which is why some of us are not such big fans of Armin yet. It would be great if he got some (more) development, but for now, ughhhhhhhh...

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Let me also completely unironically mention that I feel that Sasha has been terribly underutilized in the last few episodes.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I just want to see a Titan punch another Titan, is that too much to ask? :qq:

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Well, when the series started I thought to myself "well, it's not like Eren is going to be eaten by a titan"

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

You know how the Colossal Titan appears irregularly? It's because someone forgets to keep pushing the loving button.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Seems that a lot of people need lots of flashy visuals and loud noises to be entertained. A couple episodes toned down the action in favor of tension and dialogue, and those people started to melt down.

I will shamelessly admit that I watch this show just for the flashy visuals and loud noises. When I want tension and dialogue, I watch other shows (which are usually not anime :ssh:)

This episode was good though. The scene with Armin trying to spur Eren on through his dream was kinda cheesy but fit the show perfectly, and justified Armin's existence as a character. Also, I loved how gg managed to work the title into the dialog.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

The best thing about that picture is that the entire thing appears to be powered by a giant potato.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

As long as the parts that are worth animating (people slinging around on 3D gears, Eren punching titans) are animated well enough, I don't care about watching people move their exposition holes or whatever it is we are missing.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Ah, yes, the clench-your-teeth defense, a classic lawyer tactic.

Crosscontaminant posted:

"I paused at the wrong time."

A bad frame! All anime is now ruined forever.

edit: vvvv Ah, no, I knew you were joking, I was just continuing the joke.

Rexides fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 14, 2013

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

The best thing to come out of AoT after titan-decapitation-punch.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

There is a bunch of militaristic fetishism here and there, like the idolising of the recon corps, everyone being in uniform all the time, the buys being saved from the canons by a drat great salute, etc, but it's not to a point that would worry me.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Finally.

FINALLY.

I don't know what was better, the hot Titan on Titan action, the :stare:INTENSE STARING:stare: or Mikasa flipping the gently caress out on the female Titan for stealing her man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Takoluka posted:

Trigger garbage

Inferno Cop should be the official Litmus test for friendships :colbert:

• Locked thread