Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hikarusa
Sep 8, 2011

AnacondaHL posted:

I guess the only thing that sorta broke it for me was (ep2) 250,000 go out to fight...only 100 survive? That doesn't even sound logistically possible. Shouldn't it be like 10,000+ survive, or like, 0?

It looked like the group was mostly random refugees with a small number of real military troops. So the one hundred survivors were likely just a few members of the military that survived and came back when they felt they wouldn't be punished for getting too few people killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hikarusa
Sep 8, 2011

Zorak posted:

The main issue that would lead to an anime-original ending is the rate at which the manga is produced vs the rate the anime is produced. The manga comes out on a monthly basis. Episodes of the anime come out at a weekly basis, and cover multiple chapters at once. Either they have a second season years from now or they try to do something else to conclude this first season.

The chance of them just going "ok middle of the action aaaand scene" is unlikely.

It's either that or we get into the Dragon Ball Z territory, except even worse: filler filler filler filler filler pad pad pad pad pad pad. Or Naruto which had like two years of episodes that had nothing to do with anything.

Considering that the manga will still be ahead, they could probably do a 13 episode season both next year and the year after and still be fine, though after that they'd likely have to wait longer than a year.

Hikarusa
Sep 8, 2011

Joshlemagne posted:

This is a bit back in the thread but to expand on this a monthly manga generally seems to come out at a rate of roughly one volume per year. From what I've seen it takes around 5-6 volumes at least for a 13 episode series, which can vary a lot depending on various factors, but just as a rule of thumb. There were ten volumes of Titan manga out last I checked. So it's very possible they will basically go all the way to where the manga is now for this series. After that it would take in the neighborhood of ten years for the manga to have enough material for a second season. At that point you're more into remake territory than second season. Although there have been shows like Slayers with some pretty significant gaps between seasons, I think most were not as focused on a continuing story.

Keep in mind also that Dragon Ball and Naruto are both weekly series and so have material coming out a pretty steady clip but still need filler and padding. Basically what I'm saying is prepare your hearts for an original ending. And then to find out what really happens in the manga.

...What the gently caress? Attack on titan started in september 2009. Why would it take a year for a single volume? Are you expecting 12 chapter volumes? So 60-72 chapters per 13 episodes? There is literally nothing about this post that makes the slightest bit of sense.

Edit: No, but seriously now. Depending on how this adaptation and the manga go, they could probably do a 13 episode add-on per year for the next two or three years.

Hikarusa fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 30, 2013

Hikarusa
Sep 8, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

I'm not completely sure about this but I think he's not dead yet, after thinking about it for a little. The key he's been given by his father's still around his neck, correct? The reasoning isn't really based on evidence in the story itself, but I'd imagine that eventually they'll return to Eren's house to get into the cellar, it being an established plot point and all that, so if he dies, then unless they recover the key that plot point becomes moot. It might happen that he actually dies and the key never matters, but that doesn't really make for good storytelling, and considering that everyone that's read the manga is singing the story's praises I doubt they'd do something like that. Or I could completely be off the mark, he's a decoy and Armin is actually our protagonist. Even if he's alive though he's still immensely hosed up so I'm anxious for next episode to see the result.

Even if you were obsessive about not breaking the door down, it can't be that hard to pick it.

Hikarusa
Sep 8, 2011

Srice posted:

Well, it's mostly the backstory combined with all the other clues. Stuff like Eren getting a mysterious injection would be one hell of a false flag if it were to be never mentioned again. It would be a fake out for the sake of being a fake out, nothing more.

It wouldn't necessarily never be mentioned again. It could easily be like "this was supposed to do something, but he died before it could, and when mikasa/armin reach the basement and break down the door they found out what that poo poo was" or something. Just because you can't figure out a way to take hints like that have an effect despite the character they were involved with getting their rear end killed doesn't mean there wouldn't be a way.

Hikarusa
Sep 8, 2011
Well, on the bright side, you likely aren't going to have to worry about it not continuously getting new seasons until the manga ends, because not only is this show selling utterly insane amounts, but it's also caused the manga to sell even insaner amounts.

By the way, the person you originally responded to was questioning why someone else had explicitly wanted there to be an anime original ending. Which is why people had no idea what you were trying to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hikarusa
Sep 8, 2011

Elotana posted:

When will blu-rays be out? I want to rewatch the Trost arc without INSERT SCENE HERE

Volume four will be released in a bit over a week, and they're released monthly. Don't know about subs.

• Locked thread