Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

IShallRiseAgain posted:

ugh, I hope they leave it open for a second season at the end, and don't try and force a terrible anime-only ending. Unfortunately that never happens.

Leaving hooks for another season has actually become rather common as of late and it is really grating at times, since there are some cases where the show's not popular enough for a second season.

Though admittedly I'm the sort of person that doesn't mind seeing an anime-only ending since even when it sucks I find it preferable to endings that more or less tell you to read the manga/light novel/whatever to find out what happens next. An adaption should stand on its own without having to resort to other material to find out what really happens :colbert:

(Though the manga has been a hit so if the anime is as well I'm sure it'll probably get another season)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Stall_19 posted:

I'd rather them do an anime original ending than failing to wrap things up in the anime. Not everyone reads the manga.

Yeah, same. Even if it's an ending that blows, it'd still be an ending instead of an advertisement for the manga. Plus, it's not like an anime original ending would invalidate the manga.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

IShallRiseAgain posted:

What is so bad about reading manga? If the story is good, you should be interested in continuing it regardless of the medium. Getting more people to read the manga is a good thing, especially since it makes it more likely that a second anime season will actually be made, and they can actually properly wrap it up without sacrificing quality.

I don't have any problems with reading manga, but I'm more of an anime guy. I prefer adaptions that can stand alone on their own merits and I don't mind when liberties are taken when adapting the source material. I just feel that suddenly ending a show and telling people to read the manga is an incredibly lazy copout and I really hope it doesn't come to that (ending with an announcement for a second season would be fine, though!).

Plus, with an anime I know it's gonna be a specific amount of episodes. I know this show is gonna run for what, 26 or so episodes? With manga until there's an official announcement of when it'll end, I have absolutely no idea how long it's gonna be. I have no objections to reading the manga, but I don't want to follow something that could go on for years and years; I'd rather read it when it's over. I know that a lot of people do enjoy that, but I personally tend to burn out when I try to keep up on manga.

e: To elaborate a little more, I think that if say, Game of Thrones (tv) were to end this season but still accurately adapt the book, a lot of people wouldn't like being told that they should read the books if they wanted closure.

VVVV let's assume this hypothetical situation also takes place in a universe where GRRM is a timely writer! Anyways an anime original ending doesn't mean that they have to start the original content in the last 2-3 episodes, they could always plan for it ahead of time like, say, the original FMA anime.

Srice fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 10, 2013

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Uznare posted:

It didn't actually, at least not in a region Funimation actually matters in or I'd own like ten million copies of it by now.

Yeah only in Australia IIRC.

Last time they were on the ANNCast they were asked about it and they basically said there's no way they're doing a physical release. I really wish they could make an exception to their rule that all of their titles must have dubs; I want to give them my money but they're not letting me!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Azzents posted:

I'm completely fine with the still frames are poor art during the quieter scenes if it means a bigger portion of the budget is going to be spent on the major battles of the show and trust me, this series is chocked full of major battles.

I imagine that it has the same circumstances as so many anime do nowadays; that the art is rushed for some scenes but they're gonna fix it up a bit for the blu-rays.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Azzents posted:

I think getting time slots are really cut throat in Japan and if they aren't putting stuff out they'll lose their slot to next show without any guarantee that they'll get it back. So once a show gets a good slot they'd rather slog out filler than stop and start when they have better content.

This is all very true, but it only applies to shows that have a mainstream time slot such that they don't need to rely on dvd/blu-ray sales alone. Or in other words, shows that air during a time when most people are awake.

Attack on Titan isn't one of those, as it airs at 2AM. The odds that a second season would have the exact same timeslot are slim, but when it's at 2AM on a Sunday it really doesn't matter.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I think it'd be a lot easier for me to buy that Eren is dead or permanently crippled if they didn't show that flashback a few episodes ago with his father injecting him with something. Obviously something will eventually come out of that plot point! I haven't read the manga but between that and the key he was given (because the basement has a ~secret~) I'd be incredibly surprised if it doesn't lead to the revelation of some sort of secret anti-Titan weapon or something along those lines!

It probably would be more convincing if it happened to a side character, or if the show hadn't been painting Eren as the protagonist from the start

Srice fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 7, 2013

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Autumncomet posted:

I am curious to hear everyone's thoughts on the non-Sasha/non-main trio trainees so far, as briefly as we've seen them, and what roles you think they'll settle into. The ones that haven't been eaten, anyway.

Honestly I haven't thought much of them. Jean is a stuck-up guy who just wants an easy life and...that's all I can really say about him?

The rest haven't even made enough of an impression on me to remember their names. This could easily change in the future of course, but for now it feels like they haven't gone past basic character traits for most of them. I don't feel this is inherently bad this early on though, especially when they're spending time developing the main trio, like how Mikasa is getting a flashback or something next episode.

In fact that's another reason I think that's a sure sign of Eren not being dead; he has gotten the majority of the character development thus far. It wouldn't make narrative sense to spend about a fifth of the series developing him just to randomly kill him off in that way.

Srice fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 7, 2013

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The off-model shots have been an ongoing problem, since it seems to pop up in almost every episode so far. The closeups are usually fine but group shots can get really iffy on the details.

But at least it looks like a typical example of stuff that is frequently fixed on blu-rays so it could certainly be worse.

e: VVV Action scenes sometimes get fixed for blu-rays too! Studios sometimes have to rush the work on a variety of scenes. The action scenes have been good so far though, except for the some of the CG, like the rubble flying around when walls are smashed. It really confuses me since they do a nice job integrating the CG for zooming all around the place with the 3D Gear, but then you have debris that wouldn't look out of place in a PS2 game.

Srice fucked around with this message at 07:26 on May 7, 2013

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Turning in your materials hours before the deadline is a grand old tradition that dates back to Yamato at the very least. But probably sooner than that!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The thing is, since we're talking about anime that airs at late o'clock here, they probably just see this sort of thing as another incentive to get people to buy the blu-rays (which I guess it technically is!).

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Zettace posted:

I'm guessing that Titan was Eren and that eaten people do become Titans. However, due to Eren's dad injecting him with something, Eren was able to have some control after being reincarnated. Perhaps the Titans were created by the people (perhaps a nation developed it for military reasons but it backfired) and Eren's dad has done research on it.

Yeah, this is exactly what I'm thinking too, and I'm sure we'll be told about it in the next episode since the preview promised a revelation that's "more shocking" than a titan killing other titans. There's just way too many hints pointing towards the injection giving Eren that ability that it would just be a really weird fakeout if the titan was something unrelated.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

A second season hasn't been confirmed yet. I imagine if we get one the earliest it will be announced is after the last episode.

'Course, it's also possible that the show will have an anime-only ending. Or it could just suddenly end, leaving viewers to read the manga if they want any sort of closure.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sometimes they do but in a lot of cases the manga just ends so far ahead of the anime that the anime had no choice but to come up with an original ending because at best the creator of the manga has only a vague idea of how it will end.

With FMA, the manga ended about 6 years after the original anime. Or for an even more extreme example, the Trigun anime ran in 1998. The manga didn't finish until 2008.

I can't even think of an anime based on a manga that used author's notes to come up with an ending, I'm sure there's at least one example out there but most of the time they either come up with their own ending or end it in such a way that it's ultimately a long advertisement for the manga.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I haven't read the manga, but about that spoiler... (Manga spoilers maybe? I don't even know, but I guess it's an answer to something that has been widely speculated so don't click if you're paranoid about spoilers!)

It seems to be just confirming what nearly everyone in the thread has been speculating on. There's just a ton of obvious clues that Eren is still alive in some way. We have the flashbacks about the injection and the key, and plus Eren has gotten the bulk of character development thus far, spending 1/5th of the anime to develop him only to kill him off uneventfully would just be bad writing. Did anyone seriously believe that Eren was gone for good?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mercrom posted:

How would it be bad writing? I don't see how killing off Eren would be neither uneventful nor meaningless, because of how much his story is tied to Mikasa's. She has been following him like a shadow since the beginning of the show, making his backstory also hers. Because of that Mikasa makes just as much sense as the main character at this point.

Well, it's mostly the backstory combined with all the other clues. Stuff like Eren getting a mysterious injection would be one hell of a false flag if it were to be never mentioned again. It would be a fake out for the sake of being a fake out, nothing more.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ViggyNash posted:

I completely forgot about that key. It only ever showed up in the first episode right? Eren's dad hands it to him and says its the key to the basement or something similar?

It was mentioned again in the beginning of another episode. I forget which one exactly, but I remember it was in the first few minutes of whatever episode it was. IIRC Eren has a dream and you see that he's been keeping the key around his neck.

There's definitely something important in that basement, that's for sure.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Looks like when the anime gets to it, episode 14 will be a recap.

Considering all the kerfuffle about production issues, I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner! Hopefully the extra week will give the animators a little breathing room.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

There are official subs on pretty much every legal site that streams anime (read: Crunchyroll, Hulu, Funimation).

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I don't care about spoilers so I looked at it and yep that was an Evangelion joke alright.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

As someone who hasn't read the manga, I've been losing interest in the show since around the Eren-Titan reveal.

Perhaps I was just mislead by the hype, but ever since that episode the shonen-y aspects have been really cranked up. Main character now has a superpower, generic inspirational speeches, etc.

That alone wouldn't normally bug me but the show has really been spinning its wheels in the past few episodes. Lots of flashbacks, characters are repeating information that everyone already knows, that sort of thing. I don't care if that stuff was in the manga, it's still padding and the pacing has really suffered for it. And I watched the last 3 episodes all at once so it's not a matter of getting burned out by a weekly wait.

But like I said, a lot of it might have been the hype. From all the pre-season chatter people were saying that it was going to be this really dark, grim show with death everywhere. And I guess that's true but with the exception of the first episode, all the deaths have been insignificant characters who only have a name so someone can melodramatically call it out after they die (and that's usually the time when we learn their names).

Also the animation goof-ups are getting worse. I know Studio Wit has a gigantic workload with this show, but characters seem to be off-model more often than not, and there have been some cases of characters talking with their mouths shut. The increasing amount of panning still shots aren't exactly helping either, and now even the action scenes are starting to take some rather noticeable shortcuts. Again, normally not something that would completely turn me off, but with that combined with my other gripes I might just wait for the blu-rays.

I'm certainly willing to see what happens in the next few episodes, but it's disappointing that I've gone from watching new episodes as soon as they're out to stockpiling episodes to watch for when I'm bored and have nothing else to do.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I think the main problem with Tetsuro Araki's direction is that he's adapting something that's a work in progress.

I wish they made the anime after the manga ended so he could go for a repeat with what he did with Death Note. Knowing how the story is gonna end definitely influences how you handle an adaption, to say nothing of having to put in filler to buy time.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Yeah, the filler wasn't the worst thing I've seen. But at the same time it did detract from my viewing experience. Saying that other anime has worse filler doesn't mean that people should overlook the filler here!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ArcaneTree posted:

Enough with all this filler talk, what does everything think is in that basement? That's some :lost: related mystery right there.

They've been really slow at talking about it, I mean we're about halfway in and they finally acknowledged that it might be important and we should probably get around to taking a look at it someday maybe. Meanwhile we've known it was important since close to the start of the show.

Because of that I think it's the sort of ~mystery box~ crap that will be mentioned every once in awhile but due to plot reasons they won't have the downtime to go and investigate it until much later, no matter how much we as the viewers know that something really important must be down there.

As for what's actually in it, maybe important notes from Eren's father about the titans? Maybe they'll have some sort of shocking revelation. Titans are people too? The titans built the walls to keep humans out? Mankind is the real monster? It was Earth all along? (or maybe it will just be more of whatever Eren was injected with so they could raise a titan army of their own?).

But I'm just getting silly with some of those guesses there. Outside of throwing out wild, random speculation there's not really much to say because all we know is that A) Something important is in the basement B) Eren's father knows what it is and C) Considering the subject of the show whatever is in the basement probably relates to titans be it weapons, information, or whatever.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mikasa what is wrong with your faaaace.

The off-model scenes are starting to get rather ridiculous. No wonder the blu-rays were delayed, they're gonna need a lot of time to fix everything.

e: Yikes this episode had even more panning shots over still frames than usual. I really wish the show had a mid season break like Valvrave. That way the animators would have enough time to improve the quality of the work. And hopefully that would mean they wouldn't have to recap as much. The 2 minute recap at the beginning of this new episode was rather annoying.

Srice fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 23, 2013

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

AnacondaHL posted:

Even the action scenes lately have felt somewhat empty.

If I could choose between paying for the superfluous 3DMG scenes and paying for the best editor and storyboard manager money could buy then I say pay the man.

Another thought: Code Geass also did that thing of occasionally starting episodes with a recap or history recap, often times several episodes in a row, and I welcomed it every time. In this show something is just different, it's completely aggravating and I despise it every time.

That's because Geass sometimes told us something we didn't know, or at least presented information in an interesting way. Attack on Titan has become straight up "we'll repeat information you already know, using scenes you've already seen". As of the most recent episodes it's more or less a "Previously on DBZ..." sort of thing.

With Valvrave taking its mid-season break, I really wish they could have done the same thing here, the animators clearly need more time and a mid-season split would have been the perfect solution, and some time off would mean they wouldn't have to resort to all that padding.

e: ^^^ Studio Wit. This is their first major project, though they're not rookies since a lot of their staff used to be with Production IG.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

They said the 14th episode was gonna be a recap anyways so that's probably why it said 13.5, it's not unheard of to label recaps like that.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Jackard posted:

Not only that, they kept replaying clips. At least it didn't end on a cliffhanger this time.

It's kinda nuts that we had 3 minutes of recap at the start, and then after the opening the first scene was something from the last episode. Even though we're getting a recap episode they still gotta put recaps in so their animators can put it out in a semi-finished state by air time (though considering the mistakes with this episode, semi-finished is a rather generous label).

Not taking a break like Valvrave is really gonna bite them in the rear end. They *need* more than one extra week to fix all this poo poo. Since it seems we're at or nearing the end of an arc, I'll see how episode 15 turns out. If the animation is rear end again, I'm probably calling it quits until the blu-ray release. It won't fix the pacing problems or the fact that the show reuses clips like crazy, but at least they'll be fixing it up enough that the super obvious mistakes won't be present anymore.

Also is it just me or was there some serious framerate problems in a few spots this episode? Other Crunchyroll videos worked fine for me, and I tried a different browser just to be sure, so I don't know what was up.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

They have a ton of animators listed in the credits, so I suspect that while more money would help, their main problem right now is that they simply don't have enough time (especially when you consider how there have been reports of them turning it in hours before it airs).

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

No idea how much animation they're gonna fix, but since they delayed the first blu-ray it hopefully means that they're planning on a lot of fixes.

It'll be expensive to import them (about 50 bux for 2 episodes) but Funimation has licensed it for a NA release and their prices are usually fairly reasonable; my guess is that it will be split into two sets and cost about $30 for each set.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

They've been getting help from plenty of studios (the credits page on ANN lists a ton of other studios helping out with key animation and the like). Unless they come out and say something otherwise, I think it's pretty safe to assume that time constraints are the biggest problem with production.

e: VVV eh, in the early episodes they managed some rather impressive scenes. I think it's just a case of Wit biting off way more than they could chew for their first major project (They were production assistance on Robotics;Notes). Hopefully this has been a learning experience for them and in future projects they'll have a better idea on what they can realistically achieve with their production schedule.

Srice fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 30, 2013

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ViggyNash posted:

Its pretty piss poor when they're screwing with the frame rate extend a short scene and you are missing textures.

Yea they have the ocasionally fantastic scene, but to me it isn't worth the absurd disparity in quality. They bit off more than they can chew and are making GBS threads themselves trying to deal with it.

Real talk: you should consider watching the rest of the show when the blu-rays come out. It might not fix every problem you have with the show, but they should be fixing a bunch of animation problems.

I mean you bring up Shaft but were it not for the most recent episode of AoT having uncolored textures in a few spots, they'd easily be worse at this.

There's a reason why some people frequently wait for Shaft series to get a blu-ray release before watching them; they have a track record of turning in outright unfinished work for the tv cut.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The first OP also had spoilers! Like how it showed the scene where they fired at titans from the elevator.

If I remember right it even reused the animation a bit too :v:

(But anyways that was one of those things where unless you knew it was referencing something that does happen, you just don't really think about it)

As a non-manga reader nothing about this 2nd OP seems like an obvious spoiler?* We know Levi is an important character and we also know that Eren is probably gonna fight more titans in his titan form, no surprises there. I'm sure there's some spoilery stuff hidden in it that's probably obvious if you've read the manga but hey, that's the norm for almost every Shounen anime opening ever.

*I don't consider seeing character designs of future characters to be spoilers so if you're super paranoid about wanting to be in the dark you should probably skip it!

Srice fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 13, 2013

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Harettazetta posted:

Regarding this week's episode, it's really nice to see that even with the extra time, so much of this week's episode was panning over still frames. What the hell are they even spending their time on?

Skipping a week helps, but animation takes much longer than that so it probably won't be anything super noticeable.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

You can frame a dialogue-heavy episode in a way that's not dull! There are a ton of shows that can consistently pull off some great shots for scenes that are just dialogue (see: plenty of Shaft shows, and they are usually low-budget to boot!). Attack on Titan just isn't one of them.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sales numbers for the first volume are out.

Roughly 37k for the blu-ray and 19k for the dvd.

Even without taking the increased manga sales into account, those numbers alone mean the ending's probably gonna be the sort that leaves it open for a second season.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Yeah, it's pretty good. Was easily the top selling anime blu-ray for the week by a good margin. It's by no means the best selling title ever, but its sales are quite higher than most of the shows from the spring season.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Yeah I really haven't been feeling the non-Titan parts either. Most of the characters simply haven't been all that interesting, and the ones that are barely get any screentime. Combine that with rather shonen-y attempts to be emotional (I can understand the characters themselves mourning Marco, but as a viewer, he was an incredibly minor character who died like 4-5 episodes ago. I couldn't even tell you what his personality was) and it becomes tiring.

Whenever they're talking about the titans it's entertaining enough, but they really need to cut down on the dramatic speeches. I know it's kinda silly to complain about shonen-esque dramatic speeches in a shonen anime, but they really clash with the tone the show is trying to set. I haven't read the manga but I imagine it's more bearable there as you can gloss over said speeches. With the anime you're forced to sit through them for several minutes instead of quickly reading it.

At this point I'm mostly sticking with it due to inertia; I'm over the halfway point so I figure I might as well stick it out to the end.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

suztan posted:

You know, I started watching this with my boyfriend because of all the talk about how this wasn't a shonen, that it was really dark and brutal, but from everything I've seen this is just an unusually gory shonen show (falling into the same category, as, say, Fullmetal Alchemist). This isn't necessary a bad thing; I'm really enjoying this show despite its faults. It's just disingenuous to build it up as something it isn't.

Yeah, absolutely. Before it aired the show was hyped up as something where important characters frequently die. That hasn't really been the case. The most important death has been Eren's mom in the first episode, and it's hardly uncommon for a parent to be dead in a shonen series. The rest have been nameless mooks or characters who were just barely important enough to get a name before dying.

I can't see Eren/Mikasa/Armin biting it anytime soon, and they haven't done a lot with most of the side characters; if they were to die it wouldn't be a big deal to me because the show hasn't been doing much with them (of the rest of the top 10 trainees, Jean is the only one to have gotten any sort of character development). I think a better way to sell this would have been saying that it's a shonen series with a grim setting. There's nothing wrong with that sort of thing and it's a lot better than selling the show as something it's not.

re: pacing - Even some of the more action-heavy episodes have parts where the pacing suffers due to overexplaining things, such as the episode where Eren transformed to block a cannonball. It's the nature of the shonen anime beast, I suppose.

e: VVV Heck, looking it up, it even runs in a shonen magazine, Bessatsu Shonen Magazine. And the creator originally pitched the series to Shonen Jump.

Srice fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

a kitten posted:

Yeah, it's generally 12ish or 24ish episodes with any new season being announced sometime after the initial run is done airing, probably after they see how many DVD/blurays they sold. I'm not sure what, if anything, gets a show put into the category of something like One Piece with it's zillion episodes to match it's zillion volumes. Insane sales numbers maybe?

One Piece actually doesn't sell much in the way of DVDs/Blu-rays, but it airs at a sane time where the target audience (kids/teens) can actually watch it when it airs. With that sort of show ratings can actually matter, so between that plus all the merchandise sales the home video stuff is just money on the side. A nice bonus, but something that doesn't matter to them.

Attack on Titan, on the other hand, airs at like 2 AM. The airing is considered an advertisement for the DVDs/Blu-rays (and the manga as well).

Most stuff that gets a zillion episodes do so because they feel it has some sort of mainstream appeal. Shonen Jump stuff is a common choice, for example. And those zillion episode shows tend to air in the middle of the day instead of hella late at night.

suztan posted:

That's really weird that you mention that, because I almost feel like there have been more character deaths, even though looking back on it the only meaningful character death (that wasn't critical for setting up the Hero's Journey, Eren's mom) was Marco, but it was only meaningful in the context of Jean's character development. He didn't even get named until after he died. I would say that, even though a lot of people die, no characters die.

Yeah that's a good way of putting it. I guess it's something a lot of people didn't want to specify because "lots of unimportant people die" is a thing that happens in plenty of shonen anime. Even DBZ would do that just to establish someone as a threat :v:

Srice fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jul 29, 2013

• Locked thread