Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mio Bison posted:

After skimming the second episode I'm not a fan of what they're trying to do with this adaptation, they're slowing things down (one particular event which takes 3 panels in the manga goes to a solid two minutes), messing with the original story's order of events and adding tons of filler scenes on top of that. The end result isn't awful but the pacing is disappointing.

Actually, I think they are making exactly the right call by slowing things down. There's stuff in the manga that's really important (Armored Titan breaking Wall Maria, the campaign to reclaim the wall where a bunch of people died) that some readers didn't catch:

chami posted:

I don't remember the whole "send most of the refugees back out to wall Maria as titan fodder" part in the manga. poo poo got way darker than I expected. :stare:

and I think the anime is doing a much better job of underlining their importance. Same goes for the stuff in the next episode preview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Brett824 posted:

I thought characters "acted logically" in this show and that's one of the reasons why it's appealing, but the first two episodes have been seemingly full of people acting surprised when somewhat weak looking walls didn't stand up against gigantic + powerful titans.

Dude, that's because those walls have stood for hundreds of years, and no one has ever seen titans like those gigantic + powerful ones before. I thought that was kind of clear? But yea the "holy poo poo these characters are smart" stuff comes once the characters stop being nine years old.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Torix posted:

As someone who hasn't read the manga and is unfamiliar with the source, I was actually concerned the pacing was going too fast.

They went from the first Titan attack -> the gathering of all refugees to the second wall -> sending the refugees back out to face the Titans -> Eren joining a training squad in one episode, and it looked like all of this took place over a year or more. While watching it all I could think was "Wow, they must have glossed over something there" but from what I'm reading in these comments apparently not.

One of the really unique things about the manga is how fast it starts. Towards the end of the second chapter it skips from the scene on the boat where Eren swears to kill all titans, to a point that hasn't even been in the show yet[spoiler]. Most of the rest of the episode, including a few things before the skip point, is original, with a little bit taken from flashbacks. The new stuff slides in with the continuity and characterization seamlessly, even though none of this stuff adds much to the overall story.

The big benefit of the slower pace (which you're right, is still wayyy faster than most shonen) is clarity. The manga trusts you to infer some things ([spoiler]that the inner circles see themselves as better than the outer ones, that the characters were refugees before they were soldiers
) which were made explicit this episode. I personally like it better when shows like this move so fast you have to keep up with them, but that's cause I'm weird.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

njsykora posted:

I would buy the hell out of that.

They don't even need to make the legs, just the head is amazing.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Just make it a clip that can go on anything. My monitor needs a titan.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Zettace posted:

There's some worrying news about the animation staff. Apparently each weeks episode is being finished up basically at the deadline which became obvious in this weeks airing. Some stations receive the episodes early than others and Production I.G had to send out an unfinished version to these stations which they aplogized to the viewers in these regions for. Entire scenes, including very important ones were cut and replaced with still frames. There's a comparison video on Niconico Douga which shows just how much missing material they had to complete in a the span of a few days. This is worrying as if they fall too far behind then we might start getting clip show episodes.

Is there anyone who wouldn't be willing to wait a week longer for new episodes, to make sure they are done right?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Hate to break it to you but anime is an entertainment business before it is an art business. That's like saying "What if I turn my test in late" or "What if I don't deliver my work project on time". People generally won't say "well that's okay, carry on".

Oh of course, but the show is popular enough that it's probably not going to suddenly dissapear if the production can't pull off a miricle.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Segmentation Fault posted:

the episode just felt... so bleak and sad. And yet I still want more.

I think that's what they're going for :)

But yea, despite the bleakness there was so much that was really hopeful in this story. I forgot that Mikasa's scarf was a gift from Eren, and the way that he was all of course you live with us now was the best.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ShardPhoenix posted:

Though I agree with the guy who said that little Mikasa's power-up sequence was a bit cheesy by the standards set so far.

I liked it actually. It's a sequence where two kids manage to kill off three grown men. We are very much not in the realm of reality anymore, and surreal touches like that actually help it go down easier, at least for me.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

chami posted:

Your junior high had giant man-eating monsters? :what:

Y-y-yea :smith:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Gyges posted:

Maybe I just had it built up in my head too much, but the music for Eren's transformation was disappointing. A couple times in the build up it sounded like it was going somewhere good and then just kind of moved on from there back to soft choral.

I loved that scene. That song was all buildup for the for the transformation, and cutting out the music for the crunchy noises was good stuff, as well as the vampire music for the part where everyone is freaking out.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kild posted:

Echoing the sentiment that this episode felt really slow. Was the chapter the same way?

Quasi spoilers!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Gyges posted:

I figured that the anime thread might want in on what may be the greatest promotional tie in YUM! Brands history.

My anime pizza needs won't be satisfied until it becomes a part of the show proper. An important part! Armin decides that life isn't worth living in a world where the strong eat the weak. Erin reminds Armin that "you are a strong". Cheered up, he helps Mikasa make a pizza! The next scene begins with a background character wearing the pizza hut hat.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

socialsecurity posted:

I don't get why she is the only one who cares about studying the Titans

Umm, while everyone is freaked out by her she does get access to a lot of resources for her weird titan work. It's not like she's doing this in secret, so you can't really say she's the only one who cares.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Assembly line anime goods out of China, at a disgustingly reasonable price. It's dangerous.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

BambooEarpick posted:

So has anyone actually bought any Attack on Titan cosplay goods? A few coworkers really want to cosplay as titan food recon soldiers. I just don't want to spend a bunch of money to get something I could've done better with myself (but I probably won't because I have like 0 skills in sewing).

Redstar Cosplay's Titan goods are disgustingly afordable.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mahuum Aqoha posted:

I love it because it reminded me that The Brave Little Toaster is ACTUALLY WAY MORE hosed UP THAN TITAN

It's basically saying that, by throwing out appliances, humans are constantly committing genocide. That is far more terrifying to me than obviously fantastical horrifying monsters!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Actually the proper title is The Eotena Onslaught

• Locked thread