Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torix
Nov 9, 2005

Things that grin at you as they try and murder you have long been genuine nightmare fuel for me. I couldn't be sold on this enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torix
Nov 9, 2005

Mio Bison posted:

After skimming the second episode I'm not a fan of what they're trying to do with this adaptation, they're slowing things down (one particular event which takes 3 panels in the manga goes to a solid two minutes), messing with the original story's order of events and adding tons of filler scenes on top of that. The end result isn't awful but the pacing is disappointing.

As someone who hasn't read the manga and is unfamiliar with the source, I was actually concerned the pacing was going too fast.

They went from the first Titan attack -> the gathering of all refugees to the second wall -> sending the refugees back out to face the Titans -> Eren joining a training squad in one episode, and it looked like all of this took place over a year or more. While watching it all I could think was "Wow, they must have glossed over something there" but from what I'm reading in these comments apparently not.

Torix
Nov 9, 2005

I noticed back in the first episode that the colossal titan appeared after that bolt of lightning hit just outside the wall. I was guessing that the lightning must have struck a normal titan and caused it to grow large, or something. I have to guess that it was the same thing this time, and it wasn't some sort of teleportation or whatever. The colossal titan always appears OUTSIDE the wall, never anywhere else. Otherwise it could just teleport anywhere at any time. It is a bit strange how quickly it kind of popped up... but there's obviously some magic bullshit going on here. That's why I don't believe the titans were the result of some genetic experiment, there's too much otherwordly stuff going on.

Edit: The first colossal titan totally vanished a minute after it appeared. We never saw what happened with the armored titan, but it never went around smashing any more walls so it could have disappeared as well. I'm guessing something's picking and choosing certain titans to get temporary power ups at certain times.

Torix fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 28, 2013

Torix
Nov 9, 2005

Davincie posted:

No way, they would have seen a normal titan coming before it transformed into a big guy. I'm guessing its some science poo poo from whatever happened before humanity hid inside the wall and it is just way more advanced

Near the beginning of the first episode, titans are shown to be lazily hanging around the outside of the wall, half-heartedly grabbing at it, or otherwise just pacing around. I doubt they raise an alarm for every titan that's spotted outside the wall, because they're totally expected to be there, and we haven't seen anyone attempting to repel any approaching normal titans before (except for when the wall broke).

Terper posted:

I guess I'm the only one who likes the one-frame teleportation. Yeah, it was jarring and weird, but in a good way. I went full :stare: in a split second.

I liked it. And I'm sure there's a reason for it being so.

Torix
Nov 9, 2005

Yeah, echoing holy shitfuck.

Titans are WAYYYY loving faster than I expected. They can really move when they want to. I really have no idea how this can proceed from here, and that's a good thing.

We also got a ton of info about Titans themselves this time. I was beginning to wonder whether they paid attention to other animals or whether they needed to eat. The fact that we now definitely know they only exist for hunting down humans answers one question but raises a hundred more.

Torix
Nov 9, 2005

AnacondaHL posted:

Non-manga reader speculation:

Why not? Either these are all subtle red herrings, or it turns out that way. Consider the evidence:

- Eren's dad works on top secret project for the center ring oh BTW leaves before the attack oh BTW there's a secret basement with the TRUTH don't open it until later, 'kay.
- The colossal giant exhibits tactical intelligence, only lasts for a short period of time probably due to energy requirements. Plausible that its appearance and actions are human-controllable.
- Story and plot backstory of strained natural resources, unbalanced social heirarchy, loss of historical information by lower classes.
- Best soldiers brought inward, high correlation with any plan to intentionally destroy outer walls: note the freakout by sir Lord McFat, which means having the best soldiers on the inner circle IS the backup plan, if they lose control at initiating and stopping the attacks.
- General populace too stupid to prepare a big pile of rocks over the gate as an emergency procedure, too stupid to design the city with more systematically placed sturdy towers to allow the soldiers to fly higher and more effectively.

I just can't help but feel like the nobility intentionally taking out what are essentially their own meatshields against the titans is counterproductive. Not to mention the gigantic loss of land and resources from knocking down the walls. Unless there's a "kill all the titans now" button in the king's castle, overrunning their own land with giants sounds goofy. If the technology exists to create giant artifical immortal cannibal mind controlled clones and teleport them wherever, shouldn't it, I dunno, be somewhat easier to grow some food for everyone?

Eren's dad never really implied that ALL THE ANSWERS were in the basement, either. Clearly something is down there, and clearly he knows something, but his dad randomly and nonchalantly decided that he was going to show Eren what was down there after he got back from his trip. Which tells me he trusted his (prone to angry yelling-about-titans outbursts) son with the info.

Torix
Nov 9, 2005

Vincent Valentine posted:

It's a good idea but they've cut down hundreds of titans at this point, surely someone would have noticed by now. More importantly, if titans were people like Eren they wouldn't just mindlessly consume people: They'd help people out like Eren did and then jump out of their Flesh Gundam when the titan body dies and then be all like "Hey guys check it out i'm a titan :c00l: "

Then I'm left wondering if the humans normally disintegrate with the titans, but Eren's dad's injection gave him some kind of resistance to it and allowed him to stay a little more lucid and not be completely taken over by the titan? The next episode preview shows Eren inside the belly of the titan that ate him so I'm assuming we'll get more info after he starts talking, but there's just a big missing piece in the middle of the whole process right now.

Torix
Nov 9, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I knew the Titan had to be something related to Eren but to have him literally be piloting it?

It really doesn't seem to me that he's "piloting" it. It's more like whatever a "titan" is absorbs him and uses a person's base instincts to function. I doubt he was conscious at all during the whole thing, he certainly didn't recognize Mikasa or Armin.

Torix
Nov 9, 2005

Kild posted:

So are the other bait circles in wall Maria still alive or what?

Doubt it, they were probably evacuated with everyone else. I don't think those small areas could be self-sustaining, they'd need trade and resources from all over the area within the wall.

Also, I'm struggling to conclude whether bait areas are smart or dumb. One the one hand, I can see the logical reasoning - if people were spread out all over and a titan managed to open a hole in some random spot in the giant wall, people may not even know about it for days or weeks and by that time the titans have already invaded. Giving them one small spot to pay attention to lets the armed forces focus their attention and security better. But on the other hand, what the hell citizen would agree to live as titan bait? I suppose they could have some confidence in their safety if the wall hadn't been breached in 100 years, but Wall Maria DID get breached, and people apparently still felt totally fine living in a wall Rose bait town. I guess that's one thing the show hasn't really gotten across to me yet - are citizens allowed to live wherever they want? If so, what are the advantages of these bait towns that compel people to live there instead of, say, as close to the inner wall as possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torix
Nov 9, 2005

Thumbtacks posted:

The thing with Petra's dad makes me wonder if Petra and Levi were a couple or something.

At the very least, it implied Petra was a Levi fangirl who joined up with his squad to get close to him.

• Locked thread