Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
So far Hannes is my favorite character. I really liked his responses to Eren when they were talking about guard duty. They could have so easily let him slip into some kind of drunk rear end in a top hat trope, so many times, but at every turn they gave him something to say that really made him just come off as mature. He was just honest with the kid, and when Eren get pissed at him, Hannes didn't smack him or anything, he just laughed it off. Reminds me of the kind of flawed but realistic character you see in Game of Thrones. Good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Wait a second, so the reason the inner circles are more elevated is because the survivors of humanity chopped off the top of the mountain to use as a mineral-rich area for mankind's new home? Am I reading that right?

That is bad rear end.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Fluffdaddy posted:

The very first episode tells us it is 2000 years in the future.

Well poo poo, I sure missed that. I think? Anyway, wonder how that works. It'd make sense if they'd lost the infrastructure to make industrial/digital age tech, but they still have books about it and there are still those that understand it. Or maybe the inner city is a vastly different place. :haw: That armored titan definitely gave off a mechanical vibe to me... might've just been the steam, though.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

It's worth noting that Wit Studio is animating it in association with Production I.G., who is collaborating with it but isn't credited as the primary animation production company.

Zettace posted:

There's some worrying news about the animation staff. Apparently each weeks episode is being finished up basically at the deadline which became obvious in this weeks airing. Some stations receive the episodes early than others and Production I.G had to send out an unfinished version to these stations which they aplogized to the viewers in these regions for. Entire scenes, including very important ones were cut and replaced with still frames. There's a comparison video on Niconico Douga which shows just how much missing material they had to complete in a the span of a few days. This is worrying as if they fall too far behind then we might start getting clip show episodes.

Comparison video: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm20807007 (I think you need to register to view but it's pretty easy)

What in the gently caress? :psyduck: WHAT IN THE gently caress?

I know shows often get touched-up for little gently caress-ups, or the maybe some poorly drawn scenes. But this is a god-damned slideshow! Is this something that happens occasionally and I just never heard about it before? How did a such a poo poo-show studio get the contract for this series? Isn't Attack on Titan a fairly popular manga?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

The Black Stones posted:

It's a brand new studio that's attached to Production I.G, so it's pretty safe to say that Production I.G did the heavy lifting to get it and then handed it over to the new studio so they could show their chops.

Ooooh, they're new. Well, that makes it a bit more understandable. I was thinking I had never heard of Wit because they were some cheap-rear end crap studio.

The stuff they have actually made is really good; hopefully they just haven't quite gotten up to speed yet. Gotta get the new animation staff up to speed, I guess. It'd be cool if they had a big success with this series and we got another nice anime studio that can put out new show or two every season.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Mikasa is now my favorite character. I've read a chapter or two further than this in the manga, and drat, they did such a great job of her in this episode. That song at the end helped, it was really nice. I'm really starting to enjoy the ED, too.

One question: I have a hard time judging voice acting in another language, but I find myself liking anime Mikasa a lot more than manga Mikasa, and I think a large part of that comes down to her acting. What do people think of the job her VA is doing?

lohli posted:

I don't want to seem like some sort of terrible manga purist who demands it all be perfect 1:1 representations of the manga but I think some of the stuff they've put in as extras are really bad, specifically what they've done with Mikasa(Her little lightning effect from the flashback where she lost her parents irked me since that's not really a thing that Attack on Titan does at all, I do understand it wasn't trying to be something like a shounen powerup visual-effect but I thought the scene didn't need something like that to illustrate the point that was being made, but having her doing all sorts of super acrobatic stuff to dodge a titan while she's unable to use 3D gear and even effectively attacking it with a sword that is all but out of usable blades just runs counter to everything the series has set out to establish.

I agree that the minor additions/alterations the anime is making change the tone of some scenes, and sometimes even the show overall. To me, though, that's an improvement. As other have mentioned, the boxing titan stuff in this episode was really freaking crazy. When I read that in the manga, it felt a little bit out of place. It was just a little less grounded and a little more anime than the rest of the show. Having that scene with Mikasa doing crazy anime backflips helps even out the tone and make the boxing titan feel more like it's part of the same universe as the rest of the characters.

Whoever's doing the direction for this show is doing an outstanding job. You ask me, it's better than the original manga. Part of that is the addition of voice acting, music, color, sound, and animation, sure, but it's more than that. There are all these minor additions & alterations that just make everything fit together so much better. It all helps the show do a better job than the manga of making sure the viewer is in the right headspace to properly appreciate a given scene or character.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

I actually felt a lot more empathy for Captain Jerkface this time around than in the manga. With the help of the animation & voice acting, it's even more apparent that he is just freaking the gently caress out. I think if the situation were different, he might be thinking all this out more carefully... but he has no loving time for that at all. The titans are literally right behind him and they're about to bust through the next wall, dooming most of what's lest of humanity to a terrible death.

Eren is an unbelievable liability given how much is unknown. Either Eren isn't in control of these powers, in which case he's a gigantic risk, or he is in control of his powers, in which case he's lying when he claims ignorance which makes him even more dangerous.

Captain has to make a snap decision while the world is being destroyed around him. The fact that he's able to even keep it together enough to function as a commander at all and not just have a loving panic attack and start screaming is commendable. I have a hard time blaming him for wanting to just play it safe.

You gotta remember that the bottom line is he just discovered a goddamned Titan hidden among them. What do you do when you find a Titan among your troops? You loving kill it and count your blessings if you lost less than a dozen soldiers doing it.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Last week I was disappointed by the slide-show scenes, but this episode was a fantastic reminder of why it's worth it to bear through a few non-animated dialog scenes. So, so worth it. Those ribs jutting into the ground at the end were fantastic.

Crosscontaminant posted:

"Eoten" is an Old English word for giant (c.f. Icelandic jötunn) that Commie cut out of its native language with a craft knife, transported forwards in time two thousand years and glued onto modern English. The real descendant of the word is "ettin".

Oh, it's ettin. I know ettin. That's a word I've seen used by real English speakers. (and jotunn too for that matter) So even if commie was dead-set on referring to that one kind of Norse giant, there were multiple other words they could have used that would have been perfectly good. Boy, commie really had to work hard to come up with such an incredibly inappropriate choice, huh?

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jun 4, 2013

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Wow, another vocal song? This studio's such an inspiration... a sane person would say that with their resources, they should be happy to create an adaptation that meets the bare minimums, like fully animated episodes. But instead of succumbing to the cruel reality of the world they struggle and strive to break far past their limits and give this show the treatment it deserves. Never give up, Recon Corps Wit Studio!

Phobophilia posted:

Not only that, Marco died so Jean could live. Jean's going through some horrific self-image issues right now, the whole point is he's going to get character development and grow from selfish jerk. Well, at least he's more interesting as a character than Eren or Mikasa.

Agreed, Jean's getting some great characterization. That whole aftermath scene was pretty great in general, Potato-chan had a great reaction too. We even got to see Stoneface Annie break down (something I didn't notice in the manga).

Favorite moment of the episode, though, was definitely Armin's response about where he wants to do next. It's great to see a truly batshit :unsmigghh: hero in a shonen show once in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

kater posted:

I think the biggest problem is the reveal that Erwin is an incompetent military leader douchebag. Hey. Just loving say there's a trap ahead. Just say it. It's almost certainly quicker to say that than the bullshit speech about how badass you are. Are you worried that the giantess will overhear you? Then, like, loving brief your squad ahead of time maybe.

It's like they mentioned in this episode: these guys have had it drilled into them that you need to assume the worst-case scenario at all times. Even after Trost, they still don't really know how far Eren can be trusted. They're still not really sure if Eren's on their side - and even if he is, how will he act in a crazy chaos of a serious battle? My impression is that Levi/Erwin/both were intentionally testing Eren to see what he'd do.

• Locked thread