Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Anime_Otaku posted:

Read chapter 1 just before the first episode came out and I was worried about how they'd handle the violence as I feared it'd be censor flare or shadow all over the last scene in particular if they'd totally recreated the manga image, very glad they usd some pretty cool framing instead.
Definitely going to be watching this, though I may just go with the manga.

I don't think we're out of the woods yet in regards to censorship. People get gruesomely, horribly murdered and then eaten pretty much every hour on the hour throughout the manga. That one scene played out well, but being that clever for the entire run of the show is going to be difficult at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

a kitten posted:

Survey Corp huh, that'll work I suppose. I like the ED, both the song and the art style they chose, not the biggest fan of the opening song, it's ok but doesn't seem to match the actual content of the show. Certainly a long way from being bad though.

Not sure how much I'll be commenting in this thread since I'm caught up on the manga and I worry about accidentally spoiling something, but I wanted to say that so far it's a great adaptation so far and I hope it keeps up.

I was really hoping they would just call them "scouts" or something similar instead of Survey Corps or Scouting Legion or whatever. For a real world example, nobody says "United States Marine Corps" except in very formal situations. We call them "marines". But then again I guess everyone has an opinion on this and it kind of seems like the dumbest thing to argue about so jokes on me I guess.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Please stop arguing about my anime wife. None of you can possibly understand what she has been through, what she is still going through. My anime wife is flawless, her lips are pink and her eyes sparkle because she is a queen; the queen of my heart.

Her manga era eyes were just a phase. This is who she is now. Please respect her wishes and respect her as she changes on this journey through life and anime.

Vincent Valentine fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Apr 22, 2013

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Mercrom posted:

I've never read a manga before but I'm tempted to read this one considering the censorship and the supposed anime-only ending. The translation Zorak linked to is ghastly though. Is there no official, professionally done translation?

I've been reading the manga for years and I can safely say you should stick with the anime. My only real concern with the anime is that the manga starts really slow, then poo poo gets real and never stops getting realer. If the anime goes the same pace, it won't get to all the cool poo poo.

When the anime is over, by all means pick the manga up. It's extremely good, but seeing it animated really brings it to life. This episode spoilers that scene with the titan running down the street, kicking the guy out of the way? The speed and strangeness of that is something they never really conveyed well in the manga, it was really stunning to see here.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

They vomit them up. All at once. Just giant piles of dead people covered in titan spit and stomach goop laying around in the streets. It was covered in one of the earlier episodes.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Reivax posted:

Given where Eren came out of on the titan, the weak spot they keep cut to kill a titan at is where a person is. I wonder if all the titans like Eren, people who've been consumed and them spat out. Only they're not quite as strong and more or less mindless animals.

It's a good idea but they've cut down hundreds of titans at this point, surely someone would have noticed by now. More importantly, if titans were people like Eren they wouldn't just mindlessly consume people: They'd help people out like Eren did and then jump out of their Flesh Gundam when the titan body dies and then be all like "Hey guys check it out i'm a titan :c00l: "

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

"Titan is the moon of saturn and the titans are the moons defense system and "attack on titan" means the humans are literally attacking the moon and it's defending itself with giants." is one of the really dumb joke speculations that gets brought up in the manga thread when someone has some balls-out crazy theory. Don't look too far into it.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

They're called whatever the hell it says in the title card because titans don't actually loving exist.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Guys it's okay for people to not like the anime.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Months of research and development, experiments on Eren and excursions into Titan controlled territory are necessary to develop weapons and train soldiers to take back the area Eren's basement is in. When he arrives there, he discovers a cache of information and documents detailing everything they've learned in the past few months, which would have been really helpful at the time, but now all that's really useful is his family recipe for distilling gin.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

motoh posted:

So that commercial break eyecatch, the one about cutting a trainee's safety line mid training? That was pretty horrifying, yeah. This show has a lot of stuff it doesn't slap you in the face with but adds to the general feeling of 'this is not a happy place to live.'

It is if you live in the inner walls. Then life owns.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Yeah, this has been a good season for soundtracks. Gargantia and this in particular have had some really great songs. I don't share the obsessive enjoyment people get out of the opening, but the soundtrack and score of this are both really great.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Phobophilia posted:

Did a girl bite her thumb (1:07), emerge from a pool of blood (1:17) and transform into a female titan (1:21/23)?

No. All of those events are unrelated.

The first one is the girl that basically heads up R&D for the scouting legion. She has a habit of biting or sucking on her thumb in the manga, not really a nervous tick but that's what she does when she's thinking. The pool of blood is someone(not sure who, probably just Whoever For Dramatic Effect) in the stomach of a titan, that's what we see when Eren is in the stomach of the titan in whatever episode that happens in. The last is a titan but there's basically a shitload of titans so whatever.

edit: actually all this subtlety and mystery over what may or may not be spoilers in this OP are pointless, there's nothing there. I went ahead and removed spoilertags because all it would do is further people to analyzing every frame to find some semblance of a spoiler where there are none. The OP is spoiler-free.

Vincent Valentine fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 14, 2013

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Somewhere in Japan in like five years, someone is going to round a corner in some warehouse full of old promotional materials and they're going to see that head, or one like it.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

You pretty much have to give up psych exams in this situation. Looking at the trainee squad, not just the ones we see all the time(connie sasha etc), it looks like about 1 in 7 is mentally prepared to face titans and doesn't break down during combat.

Far, far more seem to break down afterward. Sasha made good decisions in combat, despite looking like a wreck, but after it was all over she was barely holding herself together

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Spiritus Nox posted:

The battle had huge implications, sure, but the actual fight was largely just a skirmish between a bunch of trainees and a vanguard titan force - a battle they didn't win so much as they simply failed to lose. A major battle would be actively retaking a town in which Titans had become entrenched like basically anywhere outside Wall Rose, or a successful strike against the Colossal or Armored titans.

As for the fate of the dudes titans eat, we're shown the Titan puke in the post-battle cleanup. I doubt it'll happen, but I really hope the author never pulls any "HUMANS ARE THE TRUE MONSTERS HERE" after all the lunacy the Titans have done.

Also, I just remembered, I'll be fascinated to see what comes of the live Titan prisoners. I can't imagine that the humans would keep them alive very long if they can't learn anything useful from them.

They only showed us the small skirmishes. Don't forget: They corralled up all the titans near the walls to give Eren free reign to put rock in hole, and now Trost is back in the hands of humanity. All those titans still had to be killed, it just happened off camera. Trost was a major battle that was never shown.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

They are talking about getting to the basement, that's literally been the entire point of the story since Trost.

Right now we're hanging out with the Survey Corps, specifically Levi Squad, because these are the elite people responsible for keeping Eren in check while the Higher Ups formulate a plan. This plan(which has been mentioned) is a massive excursion outside of the walls starting from the east, rather than from the south(trost) to reach a location just south of Trost(Eren's basement). The want to get to this basement to find the answers about Eren and maybe titans in general. This isn't a small deal, so it's going to take some time, planning and logistics to get there. They have to take hundreds of people on horseback across a swath of land a quarter of the size of germany.

That said, things kind of go loving nuts from here so hold on to your butts.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

snucks posted:

So there's a cool chart going around speculating on character heritage:

I can't tell how much of it is genuine speculation and how much is just the artist wanting to both make fanart and how much is the artist finding an excuse to play around with nationality caricatures. AoT definitely takes place on earth but I feel like it's not one that had America as a world power.

Also, Levi is totally Jewish and Marco is totally Italian.

Meanwhile the Chinese greatly outnumber every other ethnicity and yet asians are so rare that Mikasa and her mom are the only ones we've seen.

I think it's safe to assume that race in AoT doesn't follow Earth race statistics, even if it takes place on earth.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Erin Jaeger

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

jonjonaug posted:

Once this show is over someone should really play "spot the reused animation".

Come on, man, it's Levi. All of his faces are the same.

The animators are probably pissed they didn't think to reuse it and drew all three panels.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Mikasa being a titan would be dumb as hell but they do put too much emphasis on that scar on her right cheek, as if to say "Wow look at this scar. keep looking at it. Wow-wee just keep looking at this scar. What if something were to...happen to it?"

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

RuBisCO posted:

Doesn't this prove the opposite point? The fact that the scar never healed over is proof that she doesn't have magical titan powers. Unless scars aren't apart of that in the titan contract.

(Sorry if you're actually saying the same thing).

The most recent episode(s) explained that that's not always the case. There's some weird thing with regards to titan regeneration, demonstrated by how Eren bit the hell out of his hands and they didn't heal until he transformed later in the episode. I know it seems like a minor detail, but there are never insignificant details in this so I believe Eren's lack of regeneration there was a big deal that people didn't think was a big deal in light of everything else that happened.

Like I said, I know it's pretty dumb to assume that Mikasa is a titan. It's just not going to happen. But in the back of my mind I keep expecting them to see some new titan and then a few episodes later after the dust has settled there's a closeup of Mikasa and there's no scar.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

DaveKap posted:

VVV: Wow, I can see now why you couldn't wait for the anime. That... looks really bad. :( I suddenly don't want to read the manga when the show catches up plot-wise.

Yeah the art from the manga is pretty...low quality. Especially the oldest stuff. Don't let that dissuade you though, eventually you don't even notice it.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

I'm not sure I would even bother staying human form when murdering titans was on the agenda. Why would you? His ability to murder as a titan is vastly superior in every way. Remember his initial exposition, where he just ran out screaming and killing everything until his arms were finally so broken that they didn't work, so he just started biting titans on the neck and ripping them apart that way?

Having your arms broken, cut, torn away and eaten but it not really being a big deal is kind of a huge loving advantage.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Senor Candle posted:

Until he has as much control as the female titan does I would be willing to bet that Levi is just as effective and way less dangerous to use.

The difference is that if Levi missteps at any point(which considering he's Ascended Saiyan Levi is unlikely) then welp that's the end of that. If Eren missteps someone swoops in and carries away the human form like they've done every time up to this point and then he wakes up somewhere ready to murder more titans.

Yes, he lacks a certain finesse for the titan form that Collosal Armored and Female have, but a really good way to get that finesse is to just let him murder the hell out of titans when he's, for example, in a large isolated forest full of titans but also trees for the scout corps to take refuge in.

Maybe just don't cut him loose in the inner area with all the political fatcats.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Eren's job is being a rage-a-holic and he's employee of the month every month, sorry.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Thumbtacks posted:

I have a feeling the basement will turn everyone into titans. I want a Titan squad to gently caress everything and everyone up.

That would greatly diminish the entire point of the series: Humans fighting back against impossible odds.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Because he's just one guy who has done exactly one thing to help mankind.

He's a vital asset but he's not single-handedly "loving everything and everyone up". The most recent episode even reinforced him relying on humanity instead of humanity relying on his titan abilities.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

I think Eren is genuinely mad about his father not being there for his family when the titans attacked but only because nobody has called him out about how loving stupid that is so it's not really a big deal I guess.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

ViggyNash posted:

Could someone give me a quick translation or some context? I'm not really sure what happened. All I know is that it seems to be Free! related, I think.

I've never done translating before but:

Hey how ya doin' lil' mama let me whisper in ya ear

Tell ya somethin' that you might like to hear

Got a sexy rear end body and ya rear end look soft

and just wait til ya see my dick

OOOOOO

For context: Irwin wants to gently caress eren

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Marxalot posted:

How the gently caress were those walls even built anyways? I know that people rant about ~the gods~ giving the walls to humanity, could that mean that human titans were involved with it?

People have been ranting about ~*~The Gods~*~ giving literally everything from fire to iPads to humanity so there's also that to consider.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

They start a heavy metal band with Titan Eren on vocals.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Tarodia posted:

I think my favourite part was how Mikasa's evidence was "They kinda look alike"

I hated that line for Story Accuracy and thought it was hilarious for the same reason. Because, like, you know who else looks like their titan form?

Not the guy you just said that to.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Genocyber posted:

Except Eren does? Rage titan is Eren with shaggy hair and elf ears. Like, the first time I saw it I immediately knew it was Eren, that's how obvious it is.

He has shaggy hair but that's pretty much where the similarities end. The biggest thing for me is how Anime eren looks in his human form and how human he looks in his titan form, if that makes any sense. It doesn't help that Titan Eren has black hair and Human Eren is a brunette.

my dad posted:

Angry Titan looks like an angry Eren. Hell, just look at Eren's face right before he transforms.

That thing with the face before he transforms is intentionally exaggerating his features for dramatic effect, though, right down to drawing his mouth inhumanly wide. That's not really how actually looks, just some fancy effects for drama.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

MeLKoR posted:

These are 15 year olds, it will be a while before they get any commissions I hope.

Ever see Battlestar Galactica? A schoolteacher is made President of Humanity by process of elimination because everyone else gets murdered.

Jean's going to lead the survey corps in the same way because there's going to be a huge survey corps ops that hinges on Eren A) Actually turning into a titan on time B) Not screaming "RIP AND TEAR" for thirty minutes and C) Not being kidnapped. This goes as poorly as you might imagine, congrats on your promotion Jean. Only difference is there's no murder machines that look human.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Honest Ray posted:

Ok, I'm now current with the Attack on Titan anime and I need to feed my lust for high flying Titan fighting adventures. Should I just read the manga from page one or should I start partway in or what? Just wanting to get my Titanon while I wait for the next season to air.

Wait for the last episode to air and then re-read from the beginning.

I actually went back and re-read the manga at some point and once you know all the twists every single conversation people have takes on entirely different meaning and seems so obvious in retrospect.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Fatkraken posted:

Also, in the ending credits there are clearly two groups of humans riding different coloured horses facing off against each other in the murals. It makes more sense to me that the colossal and armoured titans, and Annie of course, don't originate from inside the walls but belong to a second faction based [somewhere else] and are attacking the civilization left within the walls for [reasons]. 'Course, after this episode I'll be picking up the Manga where it left off so any unanswered questions left by the series finale will hopefully be addressed.

After the finale, pick up the manga at the beginning rather than where it left off. It's really interesting to go back and read it with new perspective, such as knowing that Annie is the female titan. It's so heavily foreshadowed you'll wonder how we didn't suspect her from her initial appearance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Metal Spidermans.

• Locked thread