Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«6 »
Bulls Hit
Dec 30, 2011

Legit questions always get stupid responses. Perhaps your brain will grow and you will gain intelligence and you might be able to provide an intelligent response someday! I don't pray, so I'm just going to hope you do get that intelligent brain some day.

I work in a place where I see plenty of people daily, and run a cash register. Most times people are paying for around $20-$40 worth and use a $100 bill, but sometimes they buy something for around $3 and use a $100 bill. I have to ask, if you are someone that uses a $100 bill, why do you do that? Why don't you go to a bank and get it broken down? I'm assuming you get the $100 bill from a bank, or your job pays you and they use $100's to fill out the paycheck if you don't get checks.

It's just really annoying, in the fact that we are told to keep less than $50 in our drawer at a time anyways, we obviously shouldn't be able to break that $100 without going to the safe and dropping more money. There was one time I did have enough money to break the $100, and I handed back a bunch of $1's, and the couple got upset that I did that. I couldn't care less how I gave the money back to you.

I also love the people that ask for cash back, and they ask you for $5's or something. GO TO A FUCKIN BANK!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Clayjar
Aug 5, 2007

I don't want to go to a bank.

Stockholm Syndrome
Mar 30, 2010

As a fellow cashier I can understand your annoyance, but can't really give any answer as to why that happens. I guess people just don't give a gently caress?

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

I'm sick of ATMS not giving out anything smaller than a $20 bill. I need to break the drat bill into smaller stuff, but no one has anything smaller than a $20 or a $10.

Oh and make sure you are checking those $100 for counterfeits. One mother fucker actually passed one on me after asking me to break it.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I can't remember the last time I saw a $100 bill. The ATM always gives me two $50 bills instead.

Bulls Hit
Dec 30, 2011

Legit questions always get stupid responses. Perhaps your brain will grow and you will gain intelligence and you might be able to provide an intelligent response someday! I don't pray, so I'm just going to hope you do get that intelligent brain some day.

Wicker Man posted:

I'm sick of ATMS not giving out anything smaller than a $20 bill. I need to break the drat bill into smaller stuff, but no one has anything smaller than a $20 or a $10.

Oh and make sure you are checking those $100 for counterfeits. One mother fucker actually passed one on me after asking me to break it.

Yeah ATM's are a pain in the rear end, but it makes sense though to only have 1 bill type, it's much easier to load an ATM with only 1 bill type. We have an ATM here, and we set it to $10k a day, and all we do is read the amount taken out the previous day, and add in that amount of $20's to fill up the ATM again.

I do question why banks don't have their ATM's with more bill types though, and allow you to pull out different bill types if you want them. Why not allow $5's, $10's, and $20's? They are a bank after all lol.

Bulls Hit
Dec 30, 2011

Octy posted:

I can't remember the last time I saw a $100 bill. The ATM always gives me two $50 bills instead.

What ATM are you using that hands out $50?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

Maybe you should shut the gently caress up and be a good retail worker and understand that people have cash money and don't give a poo poo about your problems breaking down large denomination bills.

Wah Wah Wah, suck a dick, kill yourself.

Bulls Hit
Dec 30, 2011

scary ghost dog posted:

I don't want to go to a bank.

I would like to make a "This is why America is obese" joke, but going to a bank doesn't really factor into that.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

Having worked a register I get it, but most of the time people just don't think about it and from their perspective money is money. 95% of the time they're cool about it when you say "sorry I just don't have the change in the register to break that," and for the other 5% of the time, well, you're in a job where you deal with customers. You're going to get an irrational dickhead once in a while who gets pissed, and if it's not because you won't take the $100 it'll be something else.

Last place I worked at had a blanket 'no $100s, no $50s' policy due to counterfeits; you could take them but it was on you if they were fake. We had a pen and stuff to check it with but 99% of the time I'd say 'nope, sorry, that's the policy my boss' boss handed down I can't do anything about it '

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

Bulls Hit posted:

I handed back a bunch of $1's, and the couple got upset that I did that. I couldn't care less how I gave the money back to you.
So people should go out of their way to exchange their perfectly valid currency for smaller denominations to please you, but when you're giving money to them, who gives a poo poo?

Bulls Hit
Dec 30, 2011

Chinatown posted:

Maybe you should shut the gently caress up and be a good retail worker and understand that people have cash money and don't give a poo poo about your problems breaking down large denomination bills.

Eat a dick, kill yourself, suck my well paid rear end in a top hat.

I get paid quite well actually. Oh, and since you made a comment about having cash money, someone actually left their wallet in the bathroom, and had $400 stolen from their wallet. Suck on that.

Metamucil
May 9, 2011

How do people wind-up with benjamins in the first place? How would one ever come into your hands, unless you're a stripper or a drug dealer?

Bulls Hit
Dec 30, 2011

frumpsnake posted:

So people should go out of their way to exchange their perfectly valid currency for smaller denominations to please you, but when you're giving money to them, who gives a poo poo?

It's not my job to give them the biggest currency possible when handing back change. We have a time safe, so we can only drop money every so often. I say go to a bank if you are getting cash back and want it a certain way. Paying for $3 worth of goods with a $100 bill is just an rear end in a top hat move. I also love when people roll through their money, and have a $10 that would cover their purchase, but decide to use a bigger bill. You aren't cool or impressing me with your big wad of cash, for all I know that's all the money you have.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

ATMs can give $100s when you get out a large chunk of change, cashing a check, making a withdrawal of over $100... there's lots of ways that don't all involve drug dealing or stripping.

Why would a stripper have a $100 vs a bunch of $1s?

Bulls Hit
Dec 30, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

ATMs can give $100s when you get out a large chunk of change, cashing a check, making a withdrawal of over $100... there's lots of ways that don't all involve drug dealing or stripping.

Why would a stripper have a $100 vs a bunch of $1s?

I'd like to know what ATM this is, because I've pulled out $300 before, and only gotten all $20's.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

Bulls Hit posted:

I get paid quite well actually. Oh, and since you made a comment about having cash money, someone actually left their wallet in the bathroom, and had $400 stolen from their wallet. Suck on that.

Please point me to the job "running a cash register" that "pays well".

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

I know lots of old rich guys who are comfortably retired just love having a wallet stuffed with cash. So when they go to pay, they methodically pull it out, open it nice and wide, and thumb through their fat stack of cash before paying for their $4.32 DVD rental. Sometimes you half expect them to eyeball you and say "Yeah...check out all that green. I'm a made man".

Been awhile since I was in retail, but boy those memories are still intact.

Bulls Hit
Dec 30, 2011

Chinatown posted:

Please point me to the job "running a cash register" that "pays well".

Maybe my job isn't just a cashier?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

Bulls Hit posted:

I'd like to know what ATM this is, because I've pulled out $300 before, and only gotten all $20's.

There's an ATM inside the 7-11 on College Ave in Oceanside, CA that gives me 3 $100 bills and 5 $20s when I pull out $400 to pay rent.

Bulls Hit posted:

It's not my job to give them the biggest currency possible when handing back change. We have a time safe, so we can only drop money every so often. I say go to a bank if you are getting cash back and want it a certain way. Paying for $3 worth of goods with a $100 bill is just an rear end in a top hat move. I also love when people roll through their money, and have a $10 that would cover their purchase, but decide to use a bigger bill. You aren't cool or impressing me with your big wad of cash, for all I know that's all the money you have.

... Maybe they're just trying to break it dude. You sound like these people are purposefully trying to mess with you when really they're just thinking "here's money to pay what I owe."

Besides I don't know where you work but there's a lot of places that will take a $100 and break it, like grocery stores, and won't say a word. People who haven't worked a register just don't realize you can't break it before they hand it to you. They're not trying to flash their cash.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

I can't shut the fuck up about how awful the American healthcare system is and how much I hate it.

Bulls Hit posted:

I work in a place where I see plenty of people daily, and run a cash register. Most times people are paying for around $20-$40 worth and use a $100 bill, but sometimes they buy something for around $3 and use a $100 bill. I have to ask, if you are someone that uses a $100 bill, why do you do that? Why don't you go to a bank and get it broken down? I'm assuming you get the $100 bill from a bank, or your job pays you and they use $100's to fill out the paycheck if you don't get checks.

It's just really annoying, in the fact that we are told to keep less than $50 in our drawer at a time anyways, we obviously shouldn't be able to break that $100 without going to the safe and dropping more money. There was one time I did have enough money to break the $100, and I handed back a bunch of $1's, and the couple got upset that I did that. I couldn't care less how I gave the money back to you.

I also love the people that ask for cash back, and they ask you for $5's or something. GO TO A FUCKIN BANK!!!!

I try to be considerate when paying, considering that I know how businesses operate in terms of drawer limits, etc. That said, you are in business to exchange money for goods or services. If you are so aggravated that you felt compelled to create a thread, you should look at the policies of the business you work at, not your customers. Sure, in a lot of instances, customers are incredible assholes, but someone paying you is loving awesome, regardless of the type of bill they use.

As far as change is concerned, is it really so loving difficult to state that you only have XXX currency available? It isn't like they can complain and get you in trouble. Sure, they might make your life a little more difficult, but that isn't a reason to get so drat upset. You have no control over any of this, so just do what you can and relax. People are generally clueless, and we live in a world where people expect their every need to be met. You have a situation where you are locked into a rather inflexible policy. Relax, it isn't your problem and it isn't your concern. You have limited options, so work within those options and grind your teeth or something.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

Bulls Hit posted:

Maybe my job isn't just a cashier?

"Isn't just."

Bulls Hit
Dec 30, 2011

Wicker Man posted:

I know lots of old rich guys who are comfortably retired just love having a wallet stuffed with cash. So when they go to pay, they methodically pull it out, open it nice and wide, and thumb through their fat stack of cash before paying for their $4.32 DVD rental. Sometimes you half expect them to eyeball you and say "Yeah...check out all that green. I'm a made man".

Been awhile since I was in retail, but boy those memories are still intact.

I would love to say something to them about that, but I know it would just get me in trouble so I bite my tongue. I honestly think it makes them look like an rear end in a top hat, and not better than me by any means.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a virtual My Little Pony avatar"

People paying in $100 bills is whatever.

Every retail transaction I go through makes me hate the penny more and more.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

Pohl posted:

As far as change is concerned, is it really so loving difficult to state that you only have XXX currency available? It isn't like they can complain and get you in trouble. Sure, they might make your life a little more difficult, but that isn't a reason to get so drat upset. You have no control over any of this, so just do what you can and relax. People are generally clueless, and we live in a world where people expect their every need to be met. You have a situation where you are locked into a rather inflexible policy. Relax, it isn't your problem and it isn't your concern. You have limited options, so work within those options and grind your teeth or something.

Seriously, apart from the occasional rear end in a top hat who is going to be an rear end in a top hat regardless, most people are fine with "sorry, I don't have enough change to break that in the drawer, and my manager doesn't like me taking big bills anyway because of the prevalence of counterfeits."

Done.

Bulls Hit
Dec 30, 2011

Chinatown posted:

"Isn't just."

What do you do anyways? I have a job right now that allows me to pay the bills, and I have gone to pretty much every Phoenix Coyotes game this year and spent $50 worth of alcohol at each, and I still have a surplus. That says a lot more than about 15% of the country, and more.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Otterspace
Jul 13, 2006

This is not a good idea.

Because some people are assholes who want to feel like they're big shots. But yeah, check the security thread and make sure its not fake. We got two $100 bills that were immaculate, but on closer inspection that night we found the security thread and watermark portrait were from a $5. Whoops!

Bulls Hit
Dec 30, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

Seriously, apart from the occasional rear end in a top hat who is going to be an rear end in a top hat regardless, most people are fine with "sorry, I don't have enough change to break that in the drawer, and my manager doesn't like me taking big bills anyway because of the prevalence of counterfeits."

Done.

Customer Service, you do what they want.

Bulls Hit
Dec 30, 2011

Otterspace posted:

Because some people are assholes who want to feel like they're big shots. But yeah, check the security thread and make sure its not fake. We got two $100 bills that were immaculate, but on closer inspection that night we found the security thread and watermark portrait were from a $5. Whoops!

We have UV lights and counterfeit machines at every register, so we just have to run it over and wait for the red light to prove it's real. So thankfully the big bills aren't an issue for the most part. We did have 1 person that took a fake $1 bill. I find it laughable that someone decided to make a fake $1 bill.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

Bulls Hit posted:

Customer Service, you do what they want.

If there literally isn't money in the drawer you can't do what they want. I don't know where you work but there is no place I have ever seen that doesn't have a "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone." sign somewhere.

Dude I worked at a Dominos, not some high class restaurant. If you tell people it's a corporate policy to not take $100s (or even $50s), AND you don't have enough change in the drawer to break it anyway unless they want to wait 15 mins for the safe to open, they're not going to freak out and demand satisfaction. If you do get the occasional fuckass that does, direct him to the door or your manager. That's what he's there for.

And I did get 2-3 people out of a hundred or so that freaked when I told them I couldn't take the bill. It's gonna happen man. It's a job where you deal with customers. That's when you say "would you like to talk to my manager?"

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

When I pull out money at the bank the teller usually gives me $100 bills. It's inconvenient for me to pull out cash with only $20 bills being the biggest bill amount. Sometimes a purchase gets the short end of the stick if I only have a $100 bill to break, but it happens. I like pulling a certain amount of leisure money for the month and keep it at home so I can better visualize my budget.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Sometimes people get paid for BIG PROJECTS in BIG MONEY. You can't just carry around 100s though because that's risky and a lot of places won't be able to make change. Imagine you want to buy this thing and can't because you have too big money. The thought is terrifying. Maybe just go buy one drink and enjoy the $97 that is now spendable because you paid $3 for bottle of water that came out of a municipal tap halfway across the country.

gently caress banks tryin' to give me free food everytime I go in. No thanks, I'll take my money somewhere else!

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

Bulls Hit posted:

I also love when people roll through their money, and have a $10 that would cover their purchase, but decide to use a bigger bill.

I'll sometimes do stuff like this if I'm in a big chain store because I assume they have enough cash on hand to break a large bill. I worked as a cashier at Target and making change for a $100 bill wasn't much different than making change for a smaller bill, so why care?

Hogarth Hughes
Apr 16, 2006

"As for me, people will be pleased to escape from me in one piece."

What a loving petty, petulant, childish, moronic thing to complain about and then make a thread about. You are an irritating, whiny manchild. Sorry you have to work retail, but that is a supremely low-grade complaint. I have worked retail before and your complaint is the stupidest one.

In fact I am going to come in your store and buy one pack of gum and give you a $100, and if you try and give me back a bunch of goddamn ones I will file a complaint with your corporate office for your very obvious passive-aggressive insolence.

Bulls Hit
Dec 30, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

If there literally isn't money in the drawer you can't do what they want. I don't know where you work but there is no place I have ever seen that doesn't have a "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone." sign somewhere.

Dude I worked at a Dominos, not some high class restaurant. If you tell people it's a corporate policy to not take $100s (or even $50s), AND you don't have enough change in the drawer to break it anyway unless they want to wait 15 mins for the safe to open, they're not going to freak out and demand satisfaction. If you do get the occasional fuckass that does, direct him to the door or your manager. That's what he's there for.

And I did get 2-3 people out of a hundred or so that freaked when I told them I couldn't take the bill. It's gonna happen man. It's a job where you deal with customers. That's when you say "would you like to talk to my manager?"

That wouldn't fly where I work, because we can drop a tube of 4 $20's, and the safe resets every 2 minutes, so it's not that long of a wait, and our manager already says break the $100, as annoying as it is.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

I can't shut the fuck up about how awful the American healthcare system is and how much I hate it.

This thread is the perfect example of someone caught in what could be considered a Weber "iron cage". You should be mad at society as a construct and the policies and procedures of your bosses, not your customers.

TheFuglyStik
Mar 7, 2003

Attention-starved & smugly condescending, the hipster has been deemed by
top scientists as:
"The self-important, unemployable clowns of the modern age."

It's a pain in the rear end to break a $100 bill, but I've never had any problem at the family business asking to take a check or card when the drawer is short. On the rare occasion that's not possible, they come back the next day with a smaller bill unless they really didn't need what you're ringing up.

Chill the gently caress out. It's a retail job. Everyone knows you're only there until something better comes along unless that's all you're capable of doing. And if that's the case, no one really gives a poo poo what problems you have with the job.

If people were complaining about the statistically-challenged folks buying lottery tickets when you just need to pump gas while running late, then I'd be a bit more invested in the complaint.

Bulls Hit
Dec 30, 2011

Hogarth Hughes posted:

What a loving petty, petulant, childish, moronic thing to complain about and then make a thread about. You are an irritating, whiny manchild. Sorry you have to work retail, but that is a supremely low-grade complaint. I have worked retail before and your complaint is the stupidest one.

In fact I am going to come in your store and buy one pack of gum and give you a $100, and if you try and give me back a bunch of goddamn ones I will file a complaint with your corporate office for your very obvious passive-aggressive insolence.

Corporate wouldn't say much, they got the sale.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Hogarth Hughes posted:

Stop knocking retail.

TheFuglyStik posted:

If people were complaining about the statistically-challenged folks buying lottery tickets when you just need to pump gas while running late, then I'd be a bit more invested in the complaint.

This is what we should be discussing. gently caress these people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

So then say "I can break this if you want to wait a few minutes for the safe to open." I promise 90% of people that have alternate bills will say "eh, nah here's a $20."

Unless it's food and they're waiting around the lobby anyway, they won't want to wait. If they are waiting around anyway, I don't see what the problem is to be honest, if you have the means to break it.

If you think that's bad then your job must not be too bad, man. I've literally had people screaming at the top of their lungs, cursing and all, because Domino's doesn't deliver to them, so they decided to drive down and tell me why I'm stupid (because I definitely have control over the delivery zones ). I've had people yelling about me not being able to break a $100, and I really couldn't, because our safe didn't open every 2 minutes.

And when I say yelling I mean screaming loudly. They're like the smallest fraction of all the people you have to deal with but the upshot is 'everyone hates working retail because the average customer is annoying, and then there's the ones that are just total dickbags.'

«6 »