Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Are alpaca too small to market as guards? A farmer near me uses a llama as a guard for his horses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Pyrotoad posted:

Are alpaca too small to market as guards? A farmer near me uses a llama as a guard for his horses.

They're a lot smaller than most llamas and males have a habit of trying to rape sheep/goats to death, which is also a problem with llamas, and not many of them have any sort of guarding instinct. Plus they are pretty high maintenance and it would probably be a lot easier and more effective to just get a dog.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Pyrotoad posted:

Alpacas might reach 200 pounds, llamas can get to be 400+.

A good article on the alpaca bubble
tl;dr: The secret to making money on an animal that costs $150+ to return $75 is to sell them to people that don't know this. Then let the Tulip Frenzy begin!

Zinc Teeth
Jul 11, 2008
This alpaca talk is so surprising to me because I'm a (very) amateur knitter and alpaca yarn tends to be holy crap expensive. Maybe I need to learn how to spin yarn, geez.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Good alpaca is pretty pricey. You can get crappy mass-market alpaca for cheap, but it's like 90% guard hair. You can get trash bags of raw fleece from somebody's basement, and that is insanely cheap, but totally not worth it. You'll lose your mind spinning it, plus the people who treat their fleece that way don't really know what they're doing in general.

I still want a small alpaca hobby farm when I retire, but hoping to make big money like some people claim has always seemed nuts. Those primo ~herdsire~ prices are crazy outliers, but they never made sense.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

joat mon posted:

Alpacas might reach 200 pounds, llamas can get to be 400+.

A good article on the alpaca bubble
tl;dr: The secret to making money on an animal that costs $150+ to return $75 is to sell them to people that don't know this. Then let the Tulip Frenzy begin!

That was a fascinating article, thanks for sharing! It really confirmed a lot of things I already thought about alpacas (like that there is no way selling the fleece can possibly even pay for upkeep) and the alpaca owner complaints part was hilarious "For example, one of us was claimed to be a disgruntled alpaca inseminator from Florida." Oh alpaca ladies :allears:

A lot of people just send their fleeces to alpaca fleece grower collectives and get sent back finished goods in return made from the pooled fleeces that they can then sell retail. It can take over a year to get a handful of socks. You can get really nice alpaca really cheap from people with giant basement hoards of it BUT you need a lot of experience sorting through the lovely stuff unless you're cool with dehairing or just want to make felt or whatever.

Meles meles
Oct 4, 2010
We've been looking into buying another alpaca at work, as our second one passed away last year.
The grief I have is that they cost too much for what return they give. Not to mention I have to spend forever explaining to absolutely everyone who visits that it's an Alpaca not a Llama.

We did however, get a new goat recently, a Golden Guernsey buck - they're on the RBST rare breeds list here in the UK so I have no idea if they have any popularity outside of the UK, but they are neat medium sized (unsurprisingly, golden) goats. His name is Basil and he is right in the "pissing on my face and trying to rub it all over you" mood. Hurray! Goats!

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Pics of fancy pissgoat please.

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop
Jumping in on the alpacachat for a second-- my parents have an alpaca farm in Georgia right now, with about a hundred head of animals, possibly more at this point. I feel kind of bad because they got into it because I got into alpacas (briefly), but I did tell them if they were going to do it to get a few animals and see how things worked out. Well, they got ALL the animals and now occasionally do rescue runs to pick up herds and move them to other places, along with all of their own farm stuff. They've got bags and bags of fiber that my mom hasn't had time to sort through or send to a mill (but that's slowly changing, thank god). My mom still works full time at her programming job and my dad takes odds and ends jobs to bring in extra cash. They don't eat them, but that's only because there's no market for the meat yet.

It's so insane to look at the alpaca market, because I completely got that feeling from the ads and everything I was seeing, but I'd joined the military by that point and it was too late to really do much about it. I kind of hope they transition over to sheep at some point, though then I'd really have no excuse to not want to take over the farm except for the fact that it's in Nowhere, GA.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
I'd imagine you could use the poo poo quality alpaca wool as insulation, but I'm betting the kinds of people who bought up livestock like bitcoins would pooh-pooh the idea of using their inbred herd as building material and meat.

That's such a pity, alpacas are awesome. They can't have a decent quality of life if the farmers can't afford their upkeep yet keep breeding them. gently caress's sake.

Josie
Apr 26, 2007

With tales of brave Ulysses; how his naked ears were tortured; By the sirens sweetly singing.

Fruity Gordo posted:

I'd imagine you could use the poo poo quality alpaca wool as insulation, but I'm betting the kinds of people who bought up livestock like bitcoins would pooh-pooh the idea of using their inbred herd as building material and meat.

That's such a pity, alpacas are awesome. They can't have a decent quality of life if the farmers can't afford their upkeep yet keep breeding them. gently caress's sake.

I'll come live on your alpaca farm. I have an alpaca poncho from Ecuador and it is the softest comfiest thing ever.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Probably don't want insulation that houses and attracts moths and carpet beetles.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Sheep's wool insulation is basically the best you can get after rammed earth walls and a green roof though. I can't see why alpaca would be any different.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

Meles meles posted:

We did however, get a new goat recently, a Golden Guernsey buck - they're on the RBST rare breeds list here in the UK so I have no idea if they have any popularity outside of the UK, but they are neat medium sized (unsurprisingly, golden) goats. His name is Basil and he is right in the "pissing on my face and trying to rub it all over you" mood. Hurray! Goats!

WOW, I saw some amazing photos of Golden Guernsey goats! Do you have a female also or do you have other types of goat to breed him too? Is it alright to breed your Golden Guernsey buck to goats other than Golden Guernsey? I'm not knowledgeable in these things... just wondering.

Meles meles
Oct 4, 2010

piscesbobbie posted:

WOW, I saw some amazing photos of Golden Guernsey goats! Do you have a female also or do you have other types of goat to breed him too? Is it alright to breed your Golden Guernsey buck to goats other than Golden Guernsey? I'm not knowledgeable in these things... just wondering.

No female Golden Guernsey's yet, but we'll get some at some point. The add for him just popped up at the exact time we were pondering about it, and he was pretty much free for us (he came from another city farm in London, we all have pretty good relationships with each other (at least I like to think so...)) I think the previous owner was just happy he was going somewhere where he'd be enjoyed and receive a lot of fuss.

At the moment he's penned with our sheep to prevent any unwanted kids (with one of our castrate males from this year to keep him company). As far as I'm aware, there's no issue with cross breeding - the goats we currently have are pretty big, so even though there is a bit of a size difference, it would be large females to a smaller male. Our little herd of goats is getting pretty diverse anyway, we took in some goats from another city farm earlier this year, two toggenburg females, and it turned out one of them was in kid and popped out two very un-toggenburg like kids. The big floppy ears were a give away; they've undoubtably got some anglo-neubian in them.

We spent some time at work this week building a castle out of old wood and palettes in the goats pen. Basil is more interested in rubbing his piss face on everyone than posing for photos, so I failed on that count, but here are the rest of our motley crew.

(in case anyone is worried, the sign is fixed tightly on the castle, the chain is for decorative purposes only so nobodies going to get their leg caught in it!)

Meles meles fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Oct 18, 2014

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
I like your goat castle. I think the sign just makes it that much better.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Hi there Instant Jellyfish. I came across this today. Do your Jacob sheep do this too? This video was just too freakin' adorable! What was surprising to me was that the adults, older members of the flock were participating!

http://youtu.be/VuXImjKbN0k?list=UUYUbZuDN0nSJ0HB8NF9aADA

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I didn't know that sheep binky like that.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

piscesbobbie posted:

Hi there Instant Jellyfish. I came across this today. Do your Jacob sheep do this too? This video was just too freakin' adorable! What was surprising to me was that the adults, older members of the flock were participating!

http://youtu.be/VuXImjKbN0k?list=UUYUbZuDN0nSJ0HB8NF9aADA

I love the donkey in the back going "wtf is wrong with you creatures?"

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Yep! They sure do. Especially now that its regularly in the 40s and 50s during the day. The fall weather makes them all silly. Usually the older ones just run laps and spar but the younger ones pronk and leap like that. They get good air sometimes, it's impressive.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
The best is when they go wall-running. Goats and sheeps would be fantastic mascots for skateboard dudes.

edit: Okay aparently the goats are ahead on this one. http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/news/2013/9/video-happie-the-skateboarding-goat-51325/

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Is Heath doing okay?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Stinkus and Dinkus are both doing fine, if a little chilly now that they're naked again. Heath didn't end up needing his dingle dangle cut off and Rex doesn't have a hole in his head anymore. They're getting pumped up for breeding season by peeing all over their faces and getting random awkward boners all the time. You can smell them whenever you walk by the barn door so I will be happy when they have done their jobs and can go back outside.

I've been dealing with kittens lately but I'll try and take goatpics this weekend.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I took pictures of all the boys (except Dennis who didn't want to cooperate) since very soon it will be time for boys to put in their one month of work a year.

Stinkus and Dinkus. You can see Rex doesn't have a giant hole in his head anymore.

He's a magical unicorn (that's pee all over his face)

Heath is such a dork.

My sweet cormo boys all lined up for cuddles.

Flapjack

Beignet

Bialy who had better make some babies this year or we will be having a talk.

Flipflap desperately wants to be able to fit in a pocket and get pets all day.

The little boys are best buds :3:

Big Two is still the most impressive of all sheep

Sherman is obnoxious and moving out soon.

And Windsor is a fancy little deer man

Goliath was busy power snacking but posed for a single portrait for me before heading off to graze some more. The guy is a serious eater.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

They're too adorable. :kimchi: Actually I've heard about the goats-peeing-on-their-own-faces-when-horny thing recently (it came up in a Farm Wisdom segment in My Brother, My Brother and Me), but it wasn't exactly explained. What exactly is going on there...?

e: vvv Oh, that makes sense. I've actually smelled it once before. I was wondering why the male goat smelled so much worse than the female one... guess he was just really sexy.

Stroop There It Is fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 25, 2014

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Ladygoats think there is nothing sexier than a long flowing beard completely covered in pee. Also bizarre burping noises. So bucks spray pee in their mouths and faces and legs to be as appealing as possible. They'll also make pee puddles and roll in them sometimes. They stink to high heaven right now. You know how goat cheese tastes? Buck goats smell like that taste x100.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Hi Instant Jellyfish. ANOTHER stupid question I have. Do male sheep/rams do the same urine soaking that the goats do? Thanks for putting up with my idiocy.

edit: I recall when I watched the NatGeo show on Moose - they dig a small hole and urinate it in then the ladies smell it, might sit in it, might roll in it.

piscesbobbie fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 25, 2014

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Ladygoats think there is nothing sexier than a long flowing beard completely covered in pee. Also bizarre burping noises. So bucks spray pee in their mouths and faces and legs to be as appealing as possible. They'll also make pee puddles and roll in them sometimes. They stink to high heaven right now. You know how goat cheese tastes? Buck goats smell like that taste x100.

We call it Goat AXE©

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

piscesbobbie posted:

Hi Instant Jellyfish. ANOTHER stupid question I have. Do male sheep/rams do the same urine soaking that the goats do? Thanks for putting up with my idiocy.

edit: I recall when I watched the NatGeo show on Moose - they dig a small hole and urinate it in then the ladies smell it, might sit in it, might roll in it.

Ask all the questions you want, I don't mind :)

The rams really don't pee on themselves. They get kind of musky and they have scent glands under their eyes that get more prominent in the fall but they don't actively try to get as gross as possible like the goats do. They mostly resort to sexy pawing and lip flapping to impress the ladies.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Ask all the questions you want, I don't mind :)

The rams really don't pee on themselves. They get kind of musky and they have scent glands under their eyes that get more prominent in the fall but they don't actively try to get as gross as possible like the goats do. They mostly resort to sexy pawing and lip flapping to impress the ladies.

Ha, I thought those looked like some kind of scent gland under Sherman's eyes.

Nature is so gross.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
How fast do their horns grow? Like how long will it be till Heath no longer requires the Rod of Shame?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Writer Cath posted:

How fast do their horns grow? Like how long will it be till Heath no longer requires the Rod of Shame?

Heath got his dunce hat off when I sheared him a week or two ago and I think his horns are long enough that it will stay off now. The rams/bucks seem grow almost an inch a month during the peak growth times in the late spring/summer/early fall of their first two years then it slows way down once they're 3+. Heath's horns are starting to spread and should look like Rex's horns in a year or so. Rex's little horn nub is starting to grow back but will probably never get to the size it used to be at this point because he's past the age where he's putting a lot of energy into horn growth.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Fliflap looks like a gigantic stuffed animal :3:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
One crazy trick a goon discovered to beat stress! Doctors amazed!

I helped run a decent little farm fundraiser yesterday, and between chasing volunteers, running errands, being the MC shoving people towards the raffle booth, and having a HELLACIOUS cold, I was able to take the time to sit with a pygmy goat in my lap. She kept me quite cozy and sane throughout the day. Her name is Dolly and she is lovely

Sleepy Sip
Jul 5, 2014

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Fine, fine

Mr. Two cleaning up the garden

Kids on the doorstep

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Haystack posted:

Fine, fine

Mr. Two cleaning up the garden

Kids on the doorstep

awww look at those ears! :swoon:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I had to attack some nasty goat hooves with the dremel today ( lots of scaling and unhealthyness to remove in unnippable areas), does the smell of aresolized keratin ever go away?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Sheep updates, please! How's the farm, IJ?

How's everyone else's farm babies doing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I got my barn completely resided last month, of course during the coldest weeks of the year. The amish dudes were out there holding up giant sheets of aluminum siding when it was 26 degrees with 40 mph wind gusts like it was no big deal.

One wall off while the weather was still nice. You can sort of see my mountain of hay up in the loft.

From the inside. Those timbers were all hand cut by the original builder about 100 years ago.

Two walls up and the weather got completely awful. Creatures were not amused.

And done! I loved the old wood siding but aluminum is going to last a lot better.

Also Sherman and Panzer have both left, Win is going this week if the weather holds out and Thistle and her two lambs are going to their new home together after christmas. I'll miss some of those guys but I'm very happy that I have fewer mouths to feed and a little more money in the bank. Also I found a bunch of stray kittens in the barn a few months back and they finally went to a rescue and two of the four have been adopted out already :3:

And finally while we were busy dealing with the barn, the boys went to work. Here is my horribly inaccurate list of lambing dates for next year. Mark your calendars!

I will probably close this thread around the new year since its getting pretty ancient and start a new one pre-babies in the spring.

• Locked thread