Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

Is Heath failing at the ladies again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Chicken Doodle posted:

Is Heath failing at the ladies again?

I have no idea because he can not seem to keep chalk on his harness for some reason. Also he's a terrible goon and doesn't care if the does are receptive or not and just endlessly sneaks up and pounces on them so I can't go by when he's interested in them to see if they've been bred. If I'm feeling ambitious I'll run pregnancy tests next month but otherwise it will just be a surprise!

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Dumb non-sheep-owning question, what does it mean if the male lost his chalk? That's not a euphemism for anything, is it?

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Male sheep draw chalk murals for female sheep before mating. Whoever has the nicest, brightest mural gets to breed. Since Heath is dumb and lost his chalk before he could draw his mural, he wasn't able to woo the ladysheep.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Astrofig posted:

Dumb non-sheep-owning question, what does it mean if the male lost his chalk? That's not a euphemism for anything, is it?

I probably should have explained that. My male goats and sheep wear a harness with a piece of chalk attached to it during breeding season. You can buy them online but I just have a dog harness with a piece of sidewalk chalk ziptied to it. When the male mounts the female he gets chalk all over her butt and I know she has been bred and can mark the date down on my calendar and calculate when to look for babies. Since Heath keeps losing his the does he are with don't get marked and I don't know when or if he has bred them.

The sheep were much more cooperative.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Blue butts. :3:

Looking forward to the spring babies. And, glad to hear about the kittens!

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Where's Win going?

Yo, imma blob
Apr 29, 2007

have you any wool
It seems like a lot of readers of the thread want to get a farm of their own someday. :3: I do too. I love sheep, and I really want to raise yaks and water buffalo one day. So, IJ and anyone else who wants to answer: What was it like taking the leap into farm ownership? Did you have to make a business plan and all that? When did you know the time was right to become a farmer? I'm really interested in all the boring minutiae if anyone wants to share.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

pigeon, the mother of the litter ij found in her barn, is settled in and doing well. my dog might never recover, though.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

I praise the baby Jesus every time I think of how my ancestors could have chosen cows instead of potatoes.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Yo, imma blob posted:

It seems like a lot of readers of the thread want to get a farm of their own someday. :3: I do too. I love sheep, and I really want to raise yaks and water buffalo one day. So, IJ and anyone else who wants to answer: What was it like taking the leap into farm ownership? Did you have to make a business plan and all that? When did you know the time was right to become a farmer? I'm really interested in all the boring minutiae if anyone wants to share.

I personally only have a hobby farm, so can only speak about the business side of ranching from a distance.

We got into farm ownership because my wife had fairly extensive livestock experience growing up in 4h, and was interested in producing our own food. We both work from home, and were in a position where we were looking to buy a house anyway, so we decided we would go for it and get some property with some acreage and a barn. We got a nice lot in a nice location, and started looking into local dairy goat farmers, mostly via internet research and talking to people on Backyard Herds. Thankfully, Indiana has a whole fuckload of goat farms, so we had no trouble finding a couple of breeders whom would sell to us. One of them was super friendly and befriended us, and helped us a bit, but we mostly did everything on our own. It's been less hard then I expected, but there have definitely been some low points to compliment the high points.

Anyway, there are lots of things to think about when you're starting a farm. What's your livestock experience like? What land is available? Is it agriculturally zoned? Is the house acceptable? Is there any shelter on it? Is there any fencing? Can you afford to put in fencing? How many animals can you pasture? Where will you store hay/feed? Where will you store tools? Where will you put sheering/milking stations (if any)? Where will you store a tractor? Do you need a tractor? Can you afford one? Does it flood? Do you have neighbors? Are there fields nearby that get sprayed, and if so are you cool with that? How are you going to get water out to the barn? What happens during winter (especially with the water situation)? What are your other time commitments? Do you have a significant other that can help, and how do they feel about such a lifestyle decision? Do you have enough money to get started? Are there any farmers that have livestock near you? Are there any vets nearby you? Where are the feed store/supply stores near you? Are you cool with dealing with rural type people? How are you going to manage your males? Are you going to do live cover, or artificial insemination? And so on.

In general, livestock's main needs are food, shelter, containment, and maintenance. Different animals have different needs. Our goats, for instance, are pathetically easy to contain, and are kept in place by a few jury-rigged cattle panels and some electric netting. Water buffalo, on other other hand, would require a bit more. Moreover, the larger the herds, the more prepared you have to be.

Haystack fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 21, 2014

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Look. Look at this baby goat.

His name is Horace and he's gonna be the boyfriend to my pygmy goat girls at Celestial Farms. I asked his breeder to try and get him acclimated to humans before he's weaned, and this is why she goes and does.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

Suspect Bucket posted:

Look. Look at this baby goat.

His name is Horace and he's gonna be the boyfriend to my pygmy goat girls at Celestial Farms. I asked his breeder to try and get him acclimated to humans before he's weaned, and this is why she goes and does.

OHMYGOD Horace is adorable! Thanks for the pix Suspect Bucket! Goat pictures always make me smile :)

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

INSTANT JELLYFISH! I don't know how this video showed up on my list to watch but it is HILARIOUS. I was wondering, do Heath and Sexy Rex make these type of sounds also? They are a different goat breed than your boys but jeez, that is the funniest sound! http://youtu.be/H4Lz4-Tswdc

Happy Holidays to you and your family and critters!

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Yo, imma blob posted:

I keep forgetting to respond to this, sorry!

My family spent a ton of time preparing and writing an extensive business plan. My dad is a banker so a lot of excel sheets were involved. We also visited a ton of other farms and helped out. Small farmers love sharing what they do and also getting free extra labor. You can read tons of books and articles and watch tv shows about farming (and should!) but its just not the same as getting in there and doing the work. Then at some point you just have to dive in. You won't be prepared and you will freak out every time your animals sneeze or fart or whatever and you call the vet out a lot that first year but you learn a lot and make it through and it gets easier. Really though, find a farmer and ask if you can help out sometime.

Also water buffalo are terrible assholes but yaks are ok.

piscesbobbie posted:

INSTANT JELLYFISH! I don't know how this video showed up on my list to watch but it is HILARIOUS. I was wondering, do Heath and Sexy Rex make these type of sounds also? They are a different goat breed than your boys but jeez, that is the funniest sound! http://youtu.be/H4Lz4-Tswdc

Happy Holidays to you and your family and critters!

They do a lot of sneezing, snorting, and blubbering which I guess impresses the ladies. They don't make as weird of noises as a lot of bucks but they're still goats. Also they're crusty as hell right now and its really gross.

Happy holidays and a fantastic new year to all of you!

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
Appropriate that it's gonna be the year of the sheep.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

A bit of sad news for the beginning of the year and the end of this iteration of this thread.

I left my parents in charge of the farm for a couple of days while I stayed at their house in the city and saw some old friends who were in town. As happens sometimes there was a freak accident and Dennis passed away. He was in the barn with the goat boys and they busted out to molest the little girly goats while Dennis tried to go through a some fencing to impress the ewes. He must have gotten caught and twisted wrong trying to get out and broke his neck. I checked out the area where my parents said they found him and I have no idea how he got stuck and there's no sign of a struggle so it must have just been a sudden weird accident. Heath also got stuck but he knows the drill by now and just sat there until someone saved him.

Dennis was the best ram and loved by everyone, human and sheep alike. He's visited a church and been published in a magazine and at shows people ask for his wool specifically. He got in between fights in the boy's pasture and made sure everyone got along and knew that we don't hurt each other here. I'll miss his calm and regal presence out in the fields but I'm glad we'll have a few last Dennis lambs and I get to see his sons and daughters carry on his best traits.

He would have been 6 this year, which is about when rams burn out. They take risks and get into stupid situations and most just don't last into old age but at least they do what they love.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Oh no. I'm so sorry. :(

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Dang, sorry for your loss Instant Jellyfish :sympathy:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I was going to need a new jacob ram this year anyway so I contacted someone who has a half sister of Dennis and asked them to keep me in mind if she has any ram lambs they think will be breeding quality.

This is Ilene, who looks very much like a lady Dennis to me:

and her baby daddy for this year, Sir Cedric:

and her ram lambs from last year:

I'm really hoping it will work out. Otherwise I'm going to look into who is traveling to the region for the national conference in July.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
I'm so sorry. He sounded like a complete sweetheart. I hope that your next ram is just as awesome.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.
:( :sympathy:

Please make sure to post a link to your next thread, if there is one!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I'm very, very sorry to hear about Dennis. I hope his spirit lives on in his cute babies.

I can't wait to see what joy comes to the farm this spring! Looking forward to the new thread, Jellyfish!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I need some goat ID help.

This is Alice. She was found wandering on the west side of Jax, so she was afopted by Celestial Farms, where I work. Anyone have any idea what she is, besides some mutant Boer cross? She's crazy fluffy and soft on her body, maybe some kind of fiber goat?

http://youtu.be/qNpXtfBRHBA

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 7, 2015

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

How old is she? Her coat does have some curl to it like an angora but I've also just seen some super fluffy boers/boer mutts.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Instant Jellyfish posted:

How old is she? Her coat does have some curl to it like an angora but I've also just seen some super fluffy boers/boer mutts.

We figure about a year, maybe? No idea. We have had her 2 months, trying to put weight on her.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Have you checked her teeth? Pygmy mixes sometimes get pretty poofy if she's a tiny yearly or older beyond just being malnourished.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

I didn't know goats had baby teeth like we do!

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Suspect Bucket posted:

I need some goat ID help.

This is Alice. She was found wandering on the west side of Jax, so she was afopted by Celestial Farms, where I work. Anyone have any idea what she is, besides some mutant Boer cross? She's crazy fluffy and soft on her body, maybe some kind of fiber goat?

http://youtu.be/qNpXtfBRHBA

My sources (my daughter and my wife) say Boer Kiko or Boer Kiko Nubian. Boer Angoras usually have a wider hip than Alice does and you're more likely to find Kikos than Angoras in Florida due to humidity and worms.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Pile of Kittens posted:

I didn't know goats had baby teeth like we do!

I'm pretty sure all mammals do. Otherwise they couldn't wean until they had room for adult sized teeth.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Her teeth peg her at about a year and a half I think, still pretty gappy with the two front teeth coming in. I could be wrong though, im not too familliar with guessing age via teeth. Never had so many mystery goats before.

Veronica and I disagree on the Kiko guess, she's really not hippy or angular enough. She's also wormy as hell, we have to keep her in dewormer pretty darn frequently, even in this cold florida winter. Part of why were having such a time getting her weight up. If she does have Kiko blood, she got none of the benefits.

Here, have a video. It's Red and her baby Wolf on a much warmer three mornings ago. http://youtu.be/_kzcP8qEZ4A

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jan 8, 2015

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

They don't just continuously grow larger and larger ones like sharks?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

So what's going on at the farm?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Snow, snow and more snow. Everyone has been snowed in to the barn for about a month now and we're all real sick of it.

I'll probably make a new thread in a week or two because we're only about a month away from BABIES! Most of the sheep I bred are getting wider and wider but I ran blood tests on the goats and only 2 of the 5 are pregnant. Ginger and Angela both should kid around March 25th and the other ones are getting tossed back in with Heath in early April to try for Sept kids.

The good news is everyone I tested came back negative for CAE, so Iph didn't spread it during/after kidding and pulling Taffy saved her from contracting it.

The other good news is that Dennis' half sister Ilene did me a solid and had a ram lamb. This is Unzicker Isadore who, if he grows up nicely, will come be my jacob herdsire.

He only has 2 horns, which is fine by me, and I love his little knee patches :3:

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
He looks like a Dalmation. I love it!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Ohhh I love his face!

Can't wait for baby time. :3:

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

The Smart Baseball Dargon Sez:

"Baseball is chaos!"

His bat is signed by Carl "Yaz" Yastrzemski
I know she's not a baby, per se, but I figured this belongs here.

Anyways, I've shown rabbits since the year 2000, and have almost always stuck to one breed (Tans), with the exception of a Thrianta I had once and a small Cinnamon project that was stymied by bad luck, drama, and the fact that our well ran dry last year. Earlier this month, I picked up the start of a new project: Satin Angoras. Here is my first angora, who I have named Usagi.

E: Hi my cat is norris!

Blue Wher fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 22, 2015

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Yay fluffbuns! Tans are gorgeous too so feel free to post them. I think my mom is planning on breeding our angoras soon so hopefully we'll have some little dust bunnies as well as lambs and kids this year.

Here's Pink Lady (the buns have an apple theme) my PEW doe getting a bit of a trim a couple weeks ago.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Hi, Hawaii! Hi, bunnies!

What does PEW stand for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

my cat is norris posted:

Hi, Hawaii! Hi, bunnies!

What does PEW stand for?

Pink-eyed (or Red-eyed) white.

• Locked thread