Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

Minidust posted:

It's not a Pro controller. "Precision Bass" just means it has a split strum bar and thumb rest for "authentic two-finger bass plucking," in regular 5-lane gameplay.

Some of the reviews suggest it is a Pro controller (and that he was disappointed it wasn't what you described), and it DOES also come with the same RHCP Pro songs that the Pro Guitar did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

The T posted:

Some of the reviews suggest it is a Pro controller (and that he was disappointed it wasn't what you described), and it DOES also come with the same RHCP Pro songs that the Pro Guitar did.

This is what confused me. It comes with pro songs, so why is it not a pro controller? Still, it's a lot cheaper than the only ones I found here which were upwards of £130.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

These later revisions fixed the split strum bar so that they go in opposite directions IIRC.
The original ones had them both go in the normal direction, so if you were strumming both sides upwards using your two fingers it often would drop strums because one of them would still be detected as being strummed up.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

This is what confused me. It comes with pro songs, so why is it not a pro controller? Still, it's a lot cheaper than the only ones I found here which were upwards of £130.

It's an offshoot of the Game-with-Pro-Guitar-and-RHCP-bundle (which is also currently on sale).

This should go without saying, but just to be safe, all these bundles are the Mad Catz edition of the game, which is unusable for customs. Just so you don't buy the game thinking you're getting a cheap controller and "downgrading" from the Games-on-demand edition only to be sorely disappointed.

Orange Harrison fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 1, 2013

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Orange Harrison posted:

It's an offshoot of the Game-with-Pro-Guitar-and-RHCP-bundle (which is also currently on sale).

Sadly not in this country. The 360 version is £118, the PS3 version is £43 and the Wii version £25 :negative:

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

Kaboobi posted:

These later revisions fixed the split strum bar so that they go in opposite directions IIRC.
The original ones had them both go in the normal direction, so if you were strumming both sides upwards using your two fingers it often would drop strums because one of them would still be detected as being strummed up.

And then people subsequently complained about the fix for invalidating upstrum-based achievements and goals across all music games.
How can you tell if you're getting the fixed version instead of the droppy one though?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

pksage posted:

I saw you ask this on The Other Forum, sorry I didn't answer you there.

Your export MIDI window should look like this (note "embed tempo map"):

Otherwise, the problem may be your tool. Try replacing in Modio or one of the other tools; the new Le Fluffie still has some bugs.
Heh, thanks. I think a Le Fluffie bug might be to blame like you said.

First I saved the MIDI with edits and made sure to do it exactly as you described. Replaced with Le Fluffie, rebuilt, still showed up as corrupt.

Then I opened the original MIDI in Reaper again and saved it, this time without making any changes to it. Replaced with Le Fluffie and still ended up corrupt.

Finally I used Le Fluffie to extract the MIDI from the con, then "replaced" the MIDI with the same exact file (no Reaper involvement at all). Theoretically it was the exact same con, but it showed up as corrupt.

Later on I'll try to create a package from scratch with an edited MIDI and see if that produces different results. Come to think of it, that's how I did my first experiment with the album art, since the con I was editing had no album art file to use the "replace" function on. Maybe replacing things is bugged?

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

Are you waiting a good 15 seconds before closing everything? It takes awhile to rebuild and there's no progress bar to indicate this. If you're impatient you'll get corrupt files.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Orange Harrison posted:

Are you waiting a good 15 seconds before closing everything? It takes awhile to rebuild and there's no progress bar to indicate this. If you're impatient you'll get corrupt files.
I always wait for it to say "Contents loaded" at the bottom. That means it finished rebuilding and then re-opened the fresh package, right?

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

I believe the ticker at the bottom is instantaneous, and doesn't correspond to actual loading activity. When you click "rebuild" you have to wait a long time for the content to successfully rebuild. On the old lefluffe this meant watching the button get stuck in the "pressed" position and waiting for it to pop back up. I would assume the modified version has the same quirk, but I haven't tried it yet.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
And new RBN tracks are starting to hit the store :geno:

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
You could just extract all five files from the con, replace the mid extracted with your new one and use RB3Maker in full song mode to rebuild the con.

G20 Sumbitch
Sep 29, 2007

Happy Hockey Is The Best!!!

I just love how their own reaction is as underwhelmed as one could get. Still; I'm excited for this promised bigger batch next thursday, maybe I'll have to set up a separate live account after ruining my current one with customs (right?).

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Douwe posted:

maybe I'll have to set up a separate live account after ruining my current one with customs (right?).
If your console itself isn't modded I think you're in the clear. The game can only go online with Title Update 5, and if you have Title Update 5 then the game can't read your customs. I doubt current-gen Live has the infrastructure in place to detect what you're worried about otherwise.
EDIT better read the post below me!

Minidust fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 3, 2013

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

He should be in the clear. So long as you don't boot up the game with TU5 installed, connected to Live, with the safe file you played a bunch of customs on loaded, there shouldn't be anything to phone home about. That last part is important, because your save file does log scores earned when not connected to Rock Central (which requires being connected to Live) and uploads them when it gets reconnected.

I went kind of paranoid for my setup: HD contains my song library and RBHP upgrades; 1 thumb drive has TU5, my save file, my friend's Gamertag and all of his library on it, and another thumb drive has just TU4 and customs on it (and the two thumb drives have their appropriate song caches on them). This makes sure I don't accidentally log a bunch of custsoms scores on the leaderboards or try to play my friends' songs which aren't licensed to my console when I'm running TU4. I might setup a local-only profile for customs for score logging and such, but :effort:

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
^^^^^ I... uh-oh.:stare: I've kept my save file on the HDD, and only the Title Updates, A/V settings, and song caches on two separate memory devices. I've booted in TU5 a couple of times since then, although I don't think I've actually played through an entire song. So maybe it wouldn't have contacted Rock Central? Not sure how that works.

Theoretically, what's the turnaround time supposed to be like between Microsoft being tipped off and an actual ban being handed out?:ohdear:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Minidust posted:

Theoretically, what's the turnaround time supposed to be like between Microsoft being tipped off and an actual ban being handed out?:ohdear:

Don't worry about it ever.

G20 Sumbitch
Sep 29, 2007

Happy Hockey Is The Best!!!

whypick1 posted:

He should be in the clear. So long as you don't boot up the game with TU5 installed, connected to Live, with the safe file you played a bunch of customs on loaded, there shouldn't be anything to phone home about. That last part is important, because your save file does log scores earned when not connected to Rock Central (which requires being connected to Live) and uploads them when it gets reconnected.

I actually went back on live already a few weeks back, with my save-file still on the HD. I think that might have been the reason all my custom scores, the review in 'lighters' I gave each song and number of plays got erased. It might not be, I get terribly confused by all these shenanigans.

To be safe I'll just keep everything on a thumbdrive and remove it when I go live again.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

elf help book posted:

Don't worry about it ever.

I haven't heard of anyone getting popped for customs either, I'm just being suuuuuuuper safe about it. Plus I have to juggle two people's song libraries, so I have a practical reason for the separate thumb drives.

Flops
Mar 28, 2010

Look at all these lovely posts!
Honestly, with the Rock Band Store and Rock Band Blitz I'm not really worried about needing to buy songs from the Rock Band 3 store. Plus, I haven't had time to place drum scores on everything since the switch from Rock Band 2 to 3 and don't care about putting them online, so I'm not really worried about using TU5 ever again.

Dr. Citan Uzuki
Jan 26, 2006

I would never tell you anything that wasn't absolutely true that hadn't come right from His mouth and He wants me to tell you
I have three custom songs that are each under 4MB and all of them freeze on the loading screen when I try to play them. These are the only songs I have issues with. Does this have something to do with the file size or is there most likely something wrong with the chart itself? One of them has corrupted album art on the difficulty select screen too. Any idea how I might fix this?

If it matters the songs are Cochise by Audioslave, Grand Theft Autumn by Fall Out Boy and Feel Good Hit of the Summer by QotSA.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
I'd believe that Microsoft is busier chasing hackers and cheaters in games people still play!

Ha! Haha. Haaa... oh. :(

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Ha okay, thanks for reassuring me about the MS ban hammer.

Back to my Le Fluffie issues -- it's funny, I think I had just broken the program somehow. Today I installed the new version released on The Other Forum, and everything I was trying to do before just works now. No more corrupt files.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
Today's C3 releases (5/3):

Guns N' Roses 4-pack
  • Guns N' Roses - "It's So Easy"
  • Guns N' Roses - "Mr. Brownstone"
  • Guns N' Roses - "Paradise City"
  • Guns N' Roses - "Sweet Child O' Mine"
Queensr’che - Promised Land full album
  • "I Am I"
  • "Damaged"
  • "Out of Mind"
  • "Bridge"
  • "Promised Land"
  • "Dis Con Nec Ted"
  • "Lady Jane"
  • "My Global Mind"
  • "One More Time"
  • "Someone Else?"
Promised Land bonus releases
  • Queensr’che - "I Am I/Damaged" (same as individual tracks but uninterrupted, as on the album)
  • Queensr’che - "Damaged (Rhythm Version)" (rhythm guitar on Keys)
  • Queensr’che - "Bridge (Rhythm Version)" (rhythm guitar on Keys)
  • Queensr’che - "Lady Jane (Rhythm Version)" (rhythm guitar on Bass)
  • Queensr’che - "One More Time (Rhythm Version)" (rhythm guitar on Keys)
We're also starting a "Community Spotlight" feature, where we highlight good or up-and-coming customs that we haven't released (yet). Check the blog post for more info!

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Can't believe customs creators are actually putting out full albums. That has to be just an insane amount of work.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

DancinBrud posted:

Can't believe customs creators are actually putting out full albums. That has to be just an insane amount of work.

The guy who did this particular album (and does the majority of our non-GHtoRB3 releases) is insane. Authoring customs is pretty much just...what he does.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

pksage posted:

Today's C3 releases (5/3):
  • Guns N' Roses - "Paradise City"
  • Guns N' Roses - "Sweet Child O' Mine"

I could have sworn you already released these? I think I have them.

The T
May 29, 2010

All 4 G'n'R songs are "From the Vault". They are slightly updated, however.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

The T posted:

All 4 G'n'R songs are "From the Vault". They are slightly updated, however.

Yep. If we release a song as "From the Vault", it's songs that are already out there, but have now been officially vetted by the C3 team and are included in our database. This doesn't mean they're error-free, because our QA kind of sucks, but it does guarantee all instruments, all difficulties, etc.

In particular, I think Paradise City got a lot of clean-up and newly added Pro Keys?

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
So what does it take to become a QA tester for you guys?

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Over on The Forum That Shall Not Be Named, look for "Now soliciting playtesters!" in Authoring Tools, Support, & Advice.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Finally took care of something that's been bugging the hell out of me for a while:
The official DLC "Wings of a Butterfly" was attributed to "HIM" rather than "H.I.M.", so the songs would sort under different artists in the song library. Thanks to Le Fluffie, I managed to convert the DLC to a custom so I could edit the .dta file. Fixed the artist name in the .dta, rebuilt the package, and now everything sorts properly. So I won't be able to play that song online or in Blitz, but my :spergin: sensibilities are satisfied.

The T
May 29, 2010

Minidust posted:

Finally took care of something that's been bugging the hell out of me for a while:
The official DLC "Wings of a Butterfly" was attributed to "HIM" rather than "H.I.M.", so the songs would sort under different artists in the song library. Thanks to Le Fluffie, I managed to convert the DLC to a custom so I could edit the .dta file. Fixed the artist name in the .dta, rebuilt the package, and now everything sorts properly. So I won't be able to play that song online or in Blitz, but my :spergin: sensibilities are satisfied.

It's possible to edit that sort of metadata with the same format the Harmonies project uses to edit stuff, which would allow you to still use it online.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

Yeah, you could have just changed the artist name in your song cache, which governs your library list without affecting any actual DLC files. Sings in the cache are tied to the right files with a "song id" which is just a filename or a string of numbers, so you could change up artist names and even song names and it wouldn't break anything.

Speaking of playtesters. An open test version of The Beatles - "Rain" is available RIGHT NOW on my blog. I make all my customs available there before they see wider release on C3. Usually it's a complete version, but this time it's just an expert-only test file, so I can get feedback and ensure the final product won't need updating post-C3.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

The T posted:

It's possible to edit that sort of metadata with the same format the Harmonies project uses to edit stuff, which would allow you to still use it online.

Orange Harrison posted:

Yeah, you could have just changed the artist name in your song cache, which governs your library list without affecting any actual DLC files. Sings in the cache are tied to the right files with a "song id" which is just a filename or a string of numbers, so you could change up artist names and even song names and it wouldn't break anything.
Ah, that would definitely be the ideal solution then! What program do I use to edit the cache file?

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

You can probably use lefluffie to look inside it and extract a .dta, or if you're feeling courageous just open the file in notepad directly. I did that to my save file once and found out all your art is saved as some kind of plaintext asciiart instead of... you know.. an image.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Orange Harrison posted:

You can probably use lefluffie to look inside it and extract a .dta, or if you're feeling courageous just open the file in notepad directly. I did that to my save file once and found out all your art is saved as some kind of plaintext asciiart instead of... you know.. an image.

By "art", you mean like tattoos and guitar decals and stuff?

Because then yeah, I can see why they'd do it that way, save on space and easier for random strangers on the web to see your cool guitar and such.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Orange Harrison posted:

Hmm, hitting a wall with this for now. Here are the scenarios I got out of this:
- LeFuffie crashes trying to extract the contents of my cache
- I modify the cache file directly with notepad, but after I save it is no longer recognized as a con (can't open in LeFluffie, gives me a corrupt file in the dash if I try to inject it)
- I extract the entire cache package, try modifying the "songcache" that pops out with notepad, and then build a NEW package from scratch. This new cache is recognized in the dash, but RB3 now crashes on bootup.

In all cases, when I edited with notepad I just replaced the one instance of "HIM" with "H.I.M." I never did find a .dta file to edit, could that be the problem? Do I need Modio for this? So far I've just used LeFluffie far extracting file contents and rebuilding pakcages, and Party Buffalo for getting things onto the USB drive.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Cool, more Machinae Supremacy. And it's one of their better old tracks, even if this is probably the rerecording from the latest album.

...I like Machinae Supremacy, please don't kill me. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

Minidust posted:

Hmm, hitting a wall with this for now. Here are the scenarios I got out of this:
- LeFuffie crashes trying to extract the contents of my cache
- I modify the cache file directly with notepad, but after I save it is no longer recognized as a con (can't open in LeFluffie, gives me a corrupt file in the dash if I try to inject it)
- I extract the entire cache package, try modifying the "songcache" that pops out with notepad, and then build a NEW package from scratch. This new cache is recognized in the dash, but RB3 now crashes on bootup.

In all cases, when I edited with notepad I just replaced the one instance of "HIM" with "H.I.M." I never did find a .dta file to edit, could that be the problem? Do I need Modio for this? So far I've just used LeFluffie far extracting file contents and rebuilding pakcages, and Party Buffalo for getting things onto the USB drive.

I don't know why it's being so uncooperative. You could instead modify the .dta inside the actual DLC you wanted to "fix", then rebuild your cache; Rock Band 3 will then make a new entry that mirrors whatever you put in the dta.

• Locked thread