Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Does that mean The Collector no longer maps the piano bits to the guitar? That always bugged me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

The mic is the most popular instrument at my house, so RBHP has been a godsend for my parties. Still can't believe it's a real thing.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I had trouble a while back when I tried to get it going and gave up. Does it properly filter as the songs having harmonies? If so I'll have to give it another go.

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

Asnorban posted:

I had trouble a while back when I tried to get it going and gave up. Does it properly filter as the songs having harmonies?

Of course.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I understand this is probably a dumb question, but I could have sworn I was told at some point that you couldn't have customs and RBHP tracks at the same time. Am I hallucinating?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Allen Wren posted:

I understand this is probably a dumb question, but I could have sworn I was told at some point that you couldn't have customs and RBHP tracks at the same time. Am I hallucinating?

farottone posted:

Of course.

Banzai 3
May 8, 2007
I'm only here for the weekly 24 bitchfest.
Pillbug
While we're having RBHP question time, will repacking songs as packs break support? I seem to have lost some harmonies I thought I had, but can't tell if I'm just losing my mind.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Wait. Of course you can, of course you can't, or of course I'm hallucinating? Clarify, please?

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine

Kaboobi posted:

wow someone is bitter that Harmonix doesn't want to waste money on a pretty much dead franchise

The RB freeplay stage isn't a booth. It's not even in the expo hall. It was an open thing for people to play for fun, like the TVs with Smash Bros and Duck Hunt, so removing it was kind of a dick move.
Also regarding PAX I eyeballed the rooms they had for Fantasia (couldn't get in because the line was capped for the day) and I couldn't find a single mention of Harmonix. It looked like it was being sold exclusively as a Disney game. :confused: Couldn't even find a "from the makers of Dance Central".

Orange Harrison fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Sep 1, 2014

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

Allen Wren posted:

Wait. Of course you can, of course you can't, or of course I'm hallucinating? Clarify, please?

The first and third one.

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author
RBHP uses a clever file structure to trick the game into thinking that it needs to load songs data for original releases from RBHP's custom made files instead of the original files. For that reason, it can be applied to any version of the game.

Customs are just song files loaded on a "partition" of the game's system file (or in the marketplace area on a JTAG console) that get picked up by all RB3 releases up to TU4 as normale game files.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

To clarify, Rock Band 3 has an extremely inclusive policy for loading and caching files, which was done intentionally for backwards-compatibility reasons. Unlike most other games, which have a specific directory to check for expansions, Rock Band 3 checks not just one, but at least five (and possibly more) directories for relevant files, some of which are much less secure than others. The known guaranteed directories are:
  • "Rock Band 1 downloaded content" (Contains all DLC and most exports prior to RB3 launch)
  • "Rock Band 1 saved games" (Contains all the songs from the RB1 export)
  • "Rock Band 2 downloaded content" (Contains all RBN1.0 songs)
  • "Rock Band 3 downloaded content" (Contains all DLC after RB3 came out, and all RBN2.0 content)
  • "Rock Band 3 saved games" (unused for any official content, but still checked by the game. This is the default directory people are instructed to load customs to)

Rock Band Customs exploit this by using one of the least-secure formats, which is that of a "saved game" file (as opposed to a "downloaded content" file which has much more security). This is why customs appear as saved games when looking at them on the console's storage manager. The reason why RB3 readily loaded files from such an insecure directory in the first place is because that was how the original RB1 export was saved, making it a required feature, otherwise the RB1 export would be unavailable in RB3 unless HMX went back and relicensed every single song and re-released it as an enormous DLC pack (ala all future exports).

Awhile after customs started floating around, HMX plugged the hole somehow, most likely by disabling the loading of files from the "Rock Band 3 saved games" directory, as no official content is stored there, and capping any loadable "save game" songs to just the ones already existing, since by that point all future DLC was released in a separate much more secure format.

You can actually use RB3's multiple-directory system to your advantage, and store different customs in different directories, and they would still be loaded the same, effectively giving you the ability to sort your customs collection in artificial "folders" on the drive, instead of all of them in one huge location.

Orange Harrison fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Sep 1, 2014

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

Orange Harrison posted:

To clarify (follows a wall of text of tech details...)

I'm sorry, I just had to. :)

Banzai 3
May 8, 2007
I'm only here for the weekly 24 bitchfest.
Pillbug

Orange Harrison posted:

Awhile after customs started floating around, HMX plugged the hole somehow, most likely by disabling the loading of files from the "Rock Band 3 saved games" directory, as no official content is stored there, and capping any loadable "save game" songs to just the ones already existing, since by that point all future DLC was released in a separate much more secure format.

Theoretically, would this mean that you could use customs on TU5, so long as you used C3Con Tools to save the file as RB1 type and load it into the RB1 Saved Games directory?

TrojanNemo
Jun 18, 2014

Banzai 3 posted:

Theoretically, would this mean that you could use customs on TU5, so long as you used C3Con Tools to save the file as RB1 type and load it into the RB1 Saved Games directory?

No. The way TU5 blocks customs is it only allows CON files (saved game content) from the RB1 export to be loaded. Every other CON file throws the dirty disk error. The way it identifies them is based on the tempo map of the song, so everything else can be changed except the tempo map and the song will still play on TU5. So while we already have a "way" to play customs on TU5, it requires using one of the tempo maps from RB1, regardless of what the tempo map of the custom song should have been, and obviously that breaks playability. All of this was discovered by PikminGuts92 a couple of years ago, so hopefully I remember the details correctly, but it's just not worth the effort to play customs on TU5. I'm happy playing on TU4.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
In case the last dozen posts or so were confusing to anyone (Rock Band mods are a bit of a Pandora's box):

RBHP and customs work at the same time. The only thing that breaks RBHP is deleting and rebuilding your song cache.

Putting songs into arbitrary packs will not break RBHP. It works on the individual song packages, which are the same in or out of a pack.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I see that there is a master pack for RBHP. If I use that will it break if it contains upgrades to songs I do not own, or will it just ignore those? Going through my list of songs one by one will not be something I look forward to if not.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
I think it will create songlist entries for those songs anyway, and trying to play them will be A Bad Time, but it's been a while so I could be wrong on that.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Unless something has changed since I last updated my harmonies, you can safely use the master upgrade pack and it will only add harmonies to the songs you own. It's magical.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

Banzai 3 posted:

This doesn't work for a few reasons, including the one TrojanNemo already mentioned, plus, the format for Rock Band songs has changed several times over the years. The only format that we have documentation for authoring correctly is the RBN format. Flagging a song as being from a different source causes the game to read its data different, and causes errors (most notably, all animation is broken).

This has a good and bad side to it. The bad part is this means authors are unable to write song trainers for any Pro mode instruments, because RBN songs are blocked from entering trainers.*
*Done deliberately by HMX to save RBN authors a little work, at the cost of some functionality.

The plus side is that all customs are recognized by the game as coming from one source, so if you don't own too-too much official RBN stuff, you can effectively toggle customs on and off within RB3 itself (or enter "customs-only mode" )by filtering RBN on and off.

As you mentioned though, you can store customs in the RB1 saved game directory, and they will still load up and play just fine in RB3. This is useful if you wanted to keep different types of customs in different filders on your memory unit; you can put one group in the RB3 save directory, and another group in the RB1 save directory. You can NOT, however, use the DLC directory for either game, because the directory of a file determines how the console reads its data, and customs are saved as "save games", so placing them in a directory that isn't for saved games will make the console read it incorrectly and it will appear as "corrupted" in the console browser.

Orange Harrison fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Sep 2, 2014

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
C3 releases for September 5, 2014:

New! The 1990s C01 6-pack
  • The Breeders - "Cannonball" X (Nyxyxylyth)
  • The Cardigans - "Lovefool" (pksage)
  • Garbage - "Special" X (Nyxyxylyth)
  • R.E.M. - "Shiny Happy People" (farottone)
  • Republica - "Ready to Go" X (Nyxyxylyth)
  • Smashing Pumpkins - "Tonight, Tonight" (BearzUnlimited)
Pretty stoked for this, it's been in the works for a while and I think we landed a bunch of mega-'90s songs we didn't have. We had a boy band song planned that got axed at the last minute, but maybe for '90s C02!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Holy poo poo nice week! Thank you!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Nice selection. Does "Tonight Tonight" have cello/violin parts mapped to keys?

drat, that is probably my favorite song off that album

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
HECK AND drat YES. Bless all your hearts.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

pksage posted:

Pretty stoked for this, it's been in the works for a while and I think we landed a bunch of mega-'90s songs we didn't have. We had a boy band song planned that got axed at the last minute, but maybe for '90s C02!

God drat, so awesome.

I'm going to have to learn how to package my songs though, since I have hit the 250 limit.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
If I was quizzed yesterday, I would have said Cannonball and Shiny Happy People were official Rock Band DLC song.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Amazing week! '90s jams are my jam. Thanks a ton!

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Since updates are cumulative I guess I'm stuck if I ever allowed Update 5 to download?

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

Shumagorath posted:

Since updates are cumulative I guess I'm stuck if I ever allowed Update 5 to download?

Just delete Update 5 and replace it with the file for Update 4.

Following the instructions for customs. :v:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
My fault for skimming; I'm on PS3 so it looks like no custom tracks at all.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Shumagorath posted:

My fault for skimming; I'm on PS3 so it looks like no custom tracks at all.

Jailbroken PS3s can play customs, though I assume we shouldn't talk about specifics of that process on SA. Otherwise, yeah, sorry man. :(

TrojanNemo
Jun 18, 2014
You're skimming again. Or rather, the OP has not been updated even though I've requested it more than once now. PS3 and Wii have full support for customs. PS3 requires having a modded unit though. If you have one, head over to the C3 forums and find the thread there with instructions.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

pksage posted:

:aaa: I love you. I love you so goddamn much.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Item 1) http://customscreatorscollective.wordpress.com/2014/09/09/announcing-2-of-4/

Item 2) I recently took apart my replica Strat -- the wooden one -- with help from AeolisCams. Now, at the end of the day, I didn't gently caress with anything. I checked everything out, realized I wouldn't be able to do the mod I wanted, and carefully put it all back together...and now none of my fret buttons register. I know the cabling from the neck is plugged into the correct socket in the body (it doesn't fit anywhere else), and there's no obvious signs of trauma or a snipped cable or whatever. All of the other inputs are fine, but anything coming through the ribbon from the neck is dead.

Any ideas? I have very little hardware experience; could I use, like, a multimeter to see if the switches under each fret are sending any kind of signal through the ribbon?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

pksage posted:

Item 1) http://customscreatorscollective.wordpress.com/2014/09/09/announcing-2-of-4/

Item 2) I recently took apart my replica Strat -- the wooden one -- with help from AeolisCams. Now, at the end of the day, I didn't gently caress with anything. I checked everything out, realized I wouldn't be able to do the mod I wanted, and carefully put it all back together...and now none of my fret buttons register. I know the cabling from the neck is plugged into the correct socket in the body (it doesn't fit anywhere else), and there's no obvious signs of trauma or a snipped cable or whatever. All of the other inputs are fine, but anything coming through the ribbon from the neck is dead.

Any ideas? I have very little hardware experience; could I use, like, a multimeter to see if the switches under each fret are sending any kind of signal through the ribbon?

What kind of cable is coming out of the neck? Is it standard wiring or is it a flex cable?

Flex cables can be damaged pretty easily, especially on the connector end. Is it a pad with plug, or is it a "stick the flat cable end into a receptacle" type?

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Does this include From Genesis to Revelation and Calling All Stations? ALL THE HITS.

Someone just go ahead and solve this for me. Thanks.

3 of 4: AMS KBALA YIJLMTF TT YAN MLSHM FXGAM

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

kefkafloyd posted:

What kind of cable is coming out of the neck? Is it standard wiring or is it a flex cable?

Flex cables can be damaged pretty easily, especially on the connector end. Is it a pad with plug, or is it a "stick the flat cable end into a receptacle" type?

^ Something like that. The wires are a little loose in the plastic housing for the pins, but I tried wiggling them around a bunch with the controller connected to the 360 and never got anything. It just seems totally dead.

Is it possible I scored or otherwise damaged something on the main breadboard that's preventing communication between the receptacle for the cable and the rest of the controller? How should I test this?

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

Asnorban posted:

Does this include From Genesis to Revelation and Calling All Stations? ALL THE HITS.

Fact: Genesis released 15 studio albums, we announced tracks from only 14. Fact: nobody can stand Calling All Stations. Math to be done by you. ;)

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

pksage posted:

Is it possible I scored

Very unlikely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

farottone posted:

Very unlikely.

:drat:

When the album art for my next release is farottone fellating a horse, you know where it started.

• Locked thread