Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
We managed to pull together a Rock Band party with customs enabled on Saturday. It's great to be able to play Beatles music natively in RB3. Our host's a big prog rock fan, so we hit Dream Theater and a lot of other things like that. It was awesome. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Spooky Chris posted:

Has anyone else experienced false inputs on the bass pedal on the RB2 drum kit? A few months back I failed a normally easy song and after the song ended I realized that the bass pedal was firing intermittently whether my foot was on it or not. I moved the plug down to the secondary black jack below it and just used that for a while, but I was playing with my mates tonight now I'm getting the fluttering pedal on that plug too. I have 2 pedals and it happens with either so I'm thinking it has to do with the jack they're plugged into. I'm assuming I'll have to crack it open and reflow the solder joints on the jacks, but I wanted to ask here first before I wasted my time otherwise.

Sounds like there's either an intermittent short somewhere (possibly near your jacks), or something on the controller's circuit board is flaking out. I doubt you'd see obvious damage, but it can't hurt to go physically pop open the case and take a look at that while you're there, too.

Unrelatedly, it's unfortunate that this guide looks to be for the original drumset, because this is kind of neat.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Lord Zedd posted:

It should work for all drumsets. All they appear to be doing is attaching wires to the contacts of the front buttons (which every plastic drumset has) and going from there.

Orange Harrison posted:

That would downgrade your drumset to RB1-functionality though, you would lose velocity detection and Pro Drums support.

Yeah, I meant more that it doesn't have call-outs for the hook ups of the cymbals, etc. I'm trying to act as the local debug/repair for my Rock Band buddies, and finding someone else's nice diagrams saves me a few hours of poking at controller guts with a multimeter. :)

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

pksage posted:

Flagpole Sitta

Well I just told all my friends, then spent the next several minutes becoming :neckbeard: personified. Thanks! :love:

Edit: Ooh, Day 4 is Tool. You guys are all awesome. :love:

Iris of Ether fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 17, 2013

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
There's always hookers. :v:

Seriously, though, I've been remiss in planning the local parties here, and everyone else prefers I do it. I haven't gotten a chance to try Flagpole Sitta yet! :(

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

SublimeDelusions posted:

I have a Rickenbacker. The problem is it is broken and, for some reason, you can no longer turn it on, even with fresh batteries. I really wish I could fix it.

I forgot to go back and respond to this. I've tinkered with the innards of the Rickenbackers before - if you're okay with opening your controller up and posting pictures, it might help to diagnose if there's anything obviously fixable on it.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

pksage posted:

C3 releases for May 9, 2014:

New! Queensr˙che - Empire (farottone)
  • Queensr˙che - "Best I Can"
  • Queensr˙che - "The Thin Line"
  • Queensr˙che - "Jet City Woman"
  • Queensr˙che - "Della Brown"
  • Queensr˙che - "Another Rainy Night (Without You)"
  • Queensr˙che - "Empire"
  • Queensr˙che - "Resistance"
  • Queensr˙che - "Hand on Heart"
  • Queensr˙che - "One and Only"
  • Queensr˙che - "Anybody Listening?"
New! Instrumental Insanity C01 4-pack (DeathThreatUK)
  • Anvil - "March of the Crabs" (incl. 2x bass)
  • Racer X - "Y.R.O."
  • Riot - "Narita"
  • Steve Vai - "Speeding (Vault Edition)" (incl. 2x bass)
The entirety of Empire has full multitracks, give it a try! As someone who didn't really grow up with Queensr˙che on the radio, they're a surprisingly great listen.

Just wanted to let you know that our prog-loving vocals guy made a very high pitched sound after seeing this list, complete with arm flailing.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

pksage posted:

A Perfect Circle - "Judith" (Lowlander)

:allears: gently caress yes.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
Hooray, we finally got to have a Rock Band party for the first time in a half year. Featured was a whole lot of Dream Theater, some Goyte, some other random bits thrown in, and Flagpole Sitta. Twice. :allears:

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
For what it's worth, we really enjoyed the Morissette songs last weekend. :)

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
I'd buy an XBox One for Rock Band, but I'm a little crazy like that. :v:

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
While I'm going to cling to my XBox 360 version for as long as possible, the main reason that I hope that they do relaunch Rock Band at some point in the future is to try and give the userbase a shot in the arm.

Also, while I have a semi-stable group that I play with, a reasonable collection of hardware, and enough working understanding of hardware that I can make most controller repairs myself. However, my XBox is going to eventually die, and it'll be nice to not have to hunt for devices that are extremely out of fab.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

farottone posted:

We're finally releasing what I started more than a year ago, which is a complete tutorial for new authors for customs authoring. It's not a flashy video tutorial, it's an interactive PDF with no picture, much like the original HMX docs that have very few pictures. This document covers all aspects of authoring and is intended for people of *any background*. The tutorial explains how to author a song in the easiest way: in example, this is how me and Nemo started out from being "simple" RB players (knowing nothing about authoring, game file format, etc.) to authors, this is how we learned and how we managed to not get frustrated while doing it. You will learn how to use existing MIDI files to speed things up and each instrument is broken down to see how it should be authored.

This is supposed to be a point of reference for everybody, for a complete authoring learning experience when coupled with our videos (which are referenced in the tutorial anyway for a few sections) and the official HMX documentation.

I genuinely hope that this will motivate a few more people to get in the authoring game. By using a Frets on Fire chart or a music MIDI, you're really easing yourself in and there's always time to polish your work.

Anyway, here it is: http://keepitfishy.com/d.php?53cec8d2f2465

I'm just skimming through it now, and that looks fantastic. Great job!

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
I love that "Somebody Kill Me" was charted. :xd:

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Only Shallow posted:

Clear 50 medium+ songs on guitar for Guitar Immortal goal and you will unlock this :)

Seriously? Guh, I guess I did want to learn how to do chords better....

(Lifetime Member of the Anything But Guitar and Keys Club, here.)

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Guitar is fun as hell, Harmonix made two excellent guitar-only games before giving us Rock.

I'm sure it is - I still prefer Bass. :) Most of my musical history has been wrapped in rhythm and support instruments.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
Ooh, R.E.M. I've been working on my tipsy depressive 90's collection: how did you know? :allears:

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

pksage posted:

Item 1) http://customscreatorscollective.wordpress.com/2014/09/09/announcing-2-of-4/

Item 2) I recently took apart my replica Strat -- the wooden one -- with help from AeolisCams. Now, at the end of the day, I didn't gently caress with anything. I checked everything out, realized I wouldn't be able to do the mod I wanted, and carefully put it all back together...and now none of my fret buttons register. I know the cabling from the neck is plugged into the correct socket in the body (it doesn't fit anywhere else), and there's no obvious signs of trauma or a snipped cable or whatever. All of the other inputs are fine, but anything coming through the ribbon from the neck is dead.

Any ideas? I have very little hardware experience; could I use, like, a multimeter to see if the switches under each fret are sending any kind of signal through the ribbon?

You didn't put the cable into the plug backwards, did you?

You could use a multimeter to figure out if anything's getting passed, I suppose, but doing it blind without a schematic is a little trickier.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

pksage posted:

It doesn't fit backwards, there are grooves in the plastic to prevent dummies like me from messing it up.

Would a multimeter just be "stick this metal thing into the pin and press frets until it notices something", or is it more complex than that?

(Also, thanks everyone for letting me ramble about this out loud, I figured Rock Band Guitar Guts 101 might help others in the future.)

How many wires are on that jumper? Is it at least [# of frets] + 1? (Hopefully yes.)

Let's first see if that fret board is getting power. Take your multimeter, set it to voltage mode (in the 20V-and-below range if you have a Radio Shack $10 Special), and stick one probe on the furthest-negative-side of your battery cluster. We're gonna call that your ground reference. (I.e., 0V)

Then, with your fret board jumper plugged in, probe (with the first probe still on your Ground) each of the wires and ensure that at least one of them is registering a higher voltage than the other pins.

If it doesn't, that's not necessarily the end of the world, it just means that it might be wired slightly differently than I expect. But it's a start.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

pksage posted:

So, uh, this turned out to be a super :downs: problem. There are two connectors right next to each other on the board, and I THOUGHT one had eight pins and the other had seven pins. Turns out they both had seven pins and I had just swapped them around. :doh:

I'm good at this. But thanks for your help, guys!

Glad it's working. :D

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Jeffster... reborn.

That's pretty much how I announced this pack to my friends online. :allears:

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
Well, you guys already got me Flagpole Sitta for Christmas last year, but sure, I can list a few more. :shobon:

Seconding Tool and/or A Perfect Circle, even though I'd be the only one in my group who actually cares. poo poo, APC might even be easier to chart.

Also seconding Deftones, even if just for "Passenger".

They've been playing a lot of Queens of the Stone Age's "I Sat By the Ocean", and it seems like vocals would be fun on that.

...I am a cheerful lady.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

pksage posted:

C3 releases for January 9, 2015:

New! Prog Metal C01 4-pack
  • Tool - "Lateralus" 2x (BearzUnlimited)

:sun:

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

CzarChasm posted:

Related to this, what's a good asking price for the instruments? My buddy is consolidating and wants to offload his instruments, but thinks he can do better than gamestop. He has two guitars (RB & GH:WT), wireless drums and a keyboard. Looking at ebay, it seems like $20 is fair. Yea or nay?

What system? I couldn't find lower than like $100-150 for wireless (cymbal accepting) XBox 360 drums a few years back. I'd murder for $20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

cbirdsong posted:

If you're still looking, I have some spare RB2 drums I've been meaning to sell. The red pad is bubbling up a little bit but they still work quite well.

Thanks for the offer, but I have to pass. I did eventually jump on a not-good wireless drum deal. I'm just sort of bitchy because the rightmost pad seemed like it was dropping some notes, and whoever owned it last let the batteries explode in it. I had to file rust off the terminals to get the drat thing to power up. :what:

Someone else should take you up on it!

• Locked thread